ImageImageImage

Welcome Jimmy Butler

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1221 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:08 pm

4yr max and then 5th year could maybe have a mutual option. $5 million player option, $20 million team option.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#1222 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Anyone else concerned about how few threes Butler is taking?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1223 » by Kobblehead » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Yes.

Jimmy appears to be in open rebellion against the modern NBA. Really hampers his fit with the team going forward if he's basically just sitting and waiting for his turn to score.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#1224 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Jimmy is not a max player right now. He'll be what 30 next season. Which takes the five year extension till age 35. One thing trading Fultz does is leave us open to a max player in addition to Harris who I have no problem the Sixers maxing.

I hope we are not too keyed into Jimmy. At the end of the day if none of the big fish bite by all means keep him but I hope we at least explore one of Durant, Kawhi, Irving. Klay.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,835

Post#1225 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Jimmy is not a max player right now. He'll be what 30 next season. Which takes the five year extension till age 35. One thing trading Fultz does is leave us open to a max player in addition to Harris who I have no problem the Sixers maxing.

I hope we are not too keyed into Jimmy. At the end of the day if none of the big fish bite by all means keep him but I hope we at least explore one of Durant, Kawhi, Irving. Klay.

Be realistic. We aren't getting any of them.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1226 » by agiaco » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Jimmy is not a max player right now. He'll be what 30 next season. Which takes the five year extension till age 35. One thing trading Fultz does is leave us open to a max player in addition to Harris who I have no problem the Sixers maxing.

Yeah we are not getting any of those players. Jimmy is playing a do-it-all role right now. I'd like to see him get more looks. It seems like he's too often in a position trying to force up a shot as time is winding down. Cut some of Embiid's touches and give it to Jimmy. He's capable of getting Joel easier looks down low more often. Things have changed since we acquired him and the offense seems too disjointed.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#1227 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:

If I said to you we were going to acquire Harris and Butler during the year in the offseason then you would have said the same thing. One thing I like about Brand is he isn't interested in being realistic he's interested in being bold.

Plus all the talking heads are pumping NY, LAC, and LAL. Are they in a better situation? Like comeon now look at the Knicks roster. Look at the Clippers roster. Just because they aren't talking about us doesn't mean we aren't a realistic option for these players. We have Embiid. We have Simmons. We will hold Harris bird rights and have the space for 1 max player if we want. Why not us? Why not take our shot too?
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 617

Post#1228 » by brannigan73 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:16 am

Yes he is. He is better then Klay Thompson and those other guys are unlikely. Sixers arent using him enough (or correctly he could have won that Boston game if he would have been the guy the entire fourth) and even with a so called down year is RPM is 4 right now not far behind Embiid one of the top marks in the league. He has bent over backwards to try to fit in some of these games the shot totals he is getting are sad thats the coaches fault. Butler needs to be handling the ball more. Dont kid yourselves if they lost him in free agency it would be a huge blow. He is clearly the teams second best player by any metric you could look at and its closer between him and Embiid then Butler and Simmons or Harris.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#1229 » by phifans » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:07 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:

If I said to you we were going to acquire Harris and Butler during the year in the offseason then you would have said the same thing. One thing I like about Brand is he isn't interested in being realistic he's interested in being bold.

Plus all the talking heads are pumping NY, LAC, and LAL. Are they in a better situation? Like comeon now look at the Knicks roster. Look at the Clippers roster. Just because they aren't talking about us doesn't mean we aren't a realistic option for these players. We have Embiid. We have Simmons. We will hold Harris bird rights and have the space for 1 max player if we want. Why not us? Why not take our shot too?

EB realized he has little chance to lure big names this offseason thats why he pull the trigger to get Jimmy and Tobias before they enter the free agent market.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,547

Post#1230 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 am

To be fair, this style of game where Jimmy gets his numbers with efficiency and impact on both ends is sustainable even if he ages 4-5 years down the road.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#1231 » by sixers hoops » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:36 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:

If I said to you we were going to acquire Harris and Butler during the year in the offseason then you would have said the same thing.

I wouldn’t have thought getting those two was unrealistic. I never believed all the four first round nonsense and knew what Jimmy would approximately get traded for. Also, Tobias for the package we gave up was far from unrealistic.

On the other hand, as opposed to the trade market, free-agency much more involves player preference. I would be pretty shocked if we were the preferred destination for any of those players. Nevertheless, I still contact all their agents and make an offer. I wouldn’t be shocked if Kawhi were interested in us. I think he likes Brett and might have interest in our roster. I don’t think we’re likely, but I wouldn’t classify Kawhi as unrealistic.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1232 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Yes.

Jimmy appears to be in open rebellion against the modern NBA. Really hampers his fit with the team going forward if he's basically just sitting and waiting for his turn to score.

Hope this is true, I would appreciate him more.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#1233 » by sixers4real » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm

If this team decides we better not pay Jimmy Butler this summer, we a screwed big time. In many ways.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#1234 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:33 pm

76ciology wrote:To be fair, this style of game where Jimmy gets his numbers with efficiency and impact on both ends is sustainable even if he ages 4-5 years down the road.

Yea I don't see the perceived "lack of fit" with Jimmy. This is what happens when you pair star players together. He's not going to attempt 20 fg/g anymore. However, his efficiency and RPM (currently 17th in the NBA) have gone up since joining the team, so this is all fake news IMO.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,547

Post#1235 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:54 pm

1st among SGs in RPM.

He ain’t even trying. :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#1236 » by KrazySixersD » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:43 pm

76ciology wrote:1st among SGs in RPM.

He ain’t even trying. :lol:

this.. I still would like to see him be a bit more aggressive at certain times, mainly going to the basket, but he has been incredibly efficient and seems legit fine with not being the main or even 2nd or 3rd option to score

if what we are seeing is real, and not him secretly being pissed inside that he isnt getting to be the "guy", and he openly embraces this, then his fit is perfect along with tobias
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Post#1237 » by AirP. » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 pm

76ciology wrote:1st among SGs in RPM.

Putting it in perspective (Butler's stats are from Philly and Minn this year).
NBA Real Plus-Minus - 2018-19 - SGs

#1 Butler 4.17
#2 Green 3.44
#3 Iguodala 2.94
#6 Redick 1.78

Overall (all positions)
#1 George 8.44
#2 Harden 7.88
#13 Embiid 4.29
#17 Butler 4.17
#53 Harris 1.95
#60 Simmons 1.76

It's why Minnesota was on a 52 win pace last year with Butler playing, he was #4 overall last year in RPM at 6.39. The year before that in Chicago he was #7 overall at 6.62.

It's interesting to see people talk about his lack of 3pt shooting(although he's a very efficient scorer), his holding onto the ball too long(low TO rate solid assist rate) or how he just doesn't fit style-wise with his current team yet time after time you look at the box score and he's got one of the top +/- stats in the game.

If you want to go with straight +/-, Butler is 22nd this year for players who qualify for league leaders in MP/G, last year 15th.

An interesting stat in BBRef's box scores, they actually calculate each players ORTG and DRTG for that particular game so you can get a better grasp of their impact on both sides of the court for the time they were in the game. Last night's box score is at https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201902210PHI.html and you can see how huge of an impact TJ made in his 11 minutes on the court with his ORTG and DRTG(which he was +8 in +/- in that small amount of time).
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1238 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Jimmy has been excellent imo. And I honestly think his steely character is needed amongst a group of guys who are mostly quiet and reserved. The passion he showed with Tobias when Tobias scored a bucket to level the game late on just sums up how emotionally engaged he is when he's on the court. I think he will play a huge role In the playoffs tbh.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#1239 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:04 pm

Butler has been excellent. People expect him to go for 30ppg every night despite playing on a starting unit where everyone averages at least 16ppg. He's been totally steady and efficient.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#1240 » by Foshan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 am

I think that we are going to him as the second string PG will also be a positive thing for how he feels involved in the team. I wasn't impressed with how he handled being doubled/pressure last game, but he's smart, so i'm sure in the future he moves the ball faster and doesn't get tied up so much.

I think our whole strategy for improvement hinges on resigning him. Then being able to resign reddick / Tj/ patton above the cap, and then looking to find a big contributor at the full MLE. Though i'd be curious as to our plans for Boban.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers