ImageImageImage

Welcome Jimmy Butler

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, BullyKing, Sixerscan, CoreyGallagher, Foshan

User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 8,291
And1: 4,136
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1581 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Everyone with a clue knew we'd have to give Butler the full 5 year MAX as soon as we traded for him. All you had to do was look at all the open cap room out there.

Same with Tobias, but at least Butler is a true difference maker.

So my only hope is that it is a straight 5 year MAX, instead of the last year being a player option.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,003
And1: 1,867
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1582 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Arsenal wrote:Everyone with a clue knew we'd have to give Butler the full 5 year MAX as soon as we traded for him. All you had to do was look at all the open cap room out there.

Same with Tobias, but at least Butler is a true difference maker.

So my only hope is that it is a straight 5 year MAX, instead of the last year being a player option.


The Tobias Harris max would kill me. Doesn’t make close to enough impact to warrant that.

That DLO/Harris swap idea is really intriguing if it comes down to a max for Harris.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Burke/Neto/Milton
Richardson/Smith/Korkmaz
Harris/Ennis/Thybulle
Horford/Scott/Bolden
Embiid/O’Quinn
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,435
And1: 2,319
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1583 » by Black Mage » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:39 pm

WIth the AD trade now looking to include his trade kicker AND happening on July 6th, the Lakers are essentially left with under 25 mil in cap space.

Is it safe to say the Lakers are now out as potential suitors which leaves just the NETS and Knicks?
Zander
Ballboy
Posts: 16
And1: 2
Joined: May 18, 2019

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1584 » by Zander » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:18 pm

He's coming back to Philly. Best chance to win and we can pay him more money.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,859
And1: 12,205
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1585 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Black Mage wrote:WIth the AD trade now looking to include his trade kicker AND happening on July 6th, the Lakers are essentially left with under 25 mil in cap space.

Is it safe to say the Lakers are now out as potential suitors which leaves just the NETS and Knicks?

I think they could still figure out a way to get the Pelicans to move the trade back (What's another first round pick at this point?), but I think either way they are more inclined to go after a guard like Kemba or Kyrie than another forward.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,232
And1: 9,232
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1586 » by LloydFree » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:32 pm

Black Mage wrote:WIth the AD trade now looking to include his trade kicker AND happening on July 6th, the Lakers are essentially left with under 25 mil in cap space.

Is it safe to say the Lakers are now out as potential suitors which leaves just the NETS and Knicks?

I don't think players want to play for the Knicks. I don't think players like how the Carmelo Anthony era played out with James Dolan.

The Nets are an underrated super power, due to the ownership and the business opportunities available to them in Asia.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,435
And1: 2,319
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1587 » by Black Mage » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Read an article that made a good point. Sixers being given high odds to win title next year is indication Vegas thinks Butler signs with Sixers.
User avatar
51X3RF4N
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,401
And1: 594
Joined: Feb 14, 2008
       

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1588 » by 51X3RF4N » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 pm

fl311 wrote:Jimmy Butler is not going to Miami. Only competition is Lakers if they get AD and can clear additional space to afford him and others.
Hey man, you hearing anything interesting RE player movement, trades, etc leading up to Thursday night, that you'd be willing to share?
Your Future Sixers:

C- Embiid/Patton
PF- ?/Bolden
SF- Butler/?
SG- ?/Zhaire
PG- Simmons/Shamet
papajoe
Junior
Posts: 441
And1: 286
Joined: Apr 15, 2018
 

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1589 » by papajoe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 am

Do we have to agree to a sign and trade with rockets? literally worst team I can think, prefer Miami if we're going that route.
downtownpie
Junior
Posts: 457
And1: 260
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
   

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1590 » by downtownpie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:44 am

So Jimmy can play on an team in contention and make 50M more than anyone else can pay him.

Yeah he's leaving.
User avatar
Samson
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,866
And1: 135
Joined: Jun 10, 2001
Location: Florida
       

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1591 » by Samson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 pm

SI.com says that the Rockets are going to come after Jimmy Buckets hard; they also say that the Lakers are scrambling to redo their salary situation and the trade specifics with NO in order to make another Max-FA slot. It's going to be a team of LeBron, AD, 1-2 Max FAs, and 2nd round picks lol.
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 13,234
And1: 4,299
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1592 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Samson wrote:SI.com says that the Rockets are going to come after Jimmy Buckets hard; they also say that the Lakers are scrambling to redo their salary situation and the trade specifics with NO in order to make another Max-FA slot. It's going to be a team of LeBron, AD, 1-2 Max FAs, and 2nd round picks lol.

How do the Rockets come after him hard? They have no capspace and Gordon is the only asset they have in a S&T.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
User avatar
Samson
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,866
And1: 135
Joined: Jun 10, 2001
Location: Florida
       

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1593 » by Samson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:24 pm

Don't get mad at me for relaying what was the lead article of SI.com --

Read on Twitter
fl311
Senior
Posts: 511
And1: 815
Joined: Mar 29, 2018

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1594 » by fl311 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Its not an SI article. Its just a lists of rumors and goes back to a Houston reporter.

The Rockets cannot sign Jimmy without dumping a ton of salary AND most likely agreeing to a Sign and Trade for him. They would deplete their team of everyone but Butler and Harden.

Morey is a good GM, he's not that good.

Unless he wants to be third fiddle to Lebron and AD, he is not signing anywhere else but Philly
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,859
And1: 12,205
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1595 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 pm

I love how reporters draft this stuff like if they use strong enough adjectives they can get around the CBA...
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,629
And1: 8,689
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1596 » by BullyKing » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Samson wrote:SI.com says that the Rockets are going to come after Jimmy Buckets hard; they also say that the Lakers are scrambling to redo their salary situation and the trade specifics with NO in order to make another Max-FA slot. It's going to be a team of LeBron, AD, 1-2 Max FAs, and 2nd round picks lol.

How do the Rockets come after him hard? They have no capspace and Gordon is the only asset they have in a S&T.


He wouldn't be of interest to us directly but they could trade Capela to someone else and have those assets routed to us.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 13,234
And1: 4,299
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1597 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Samson wrote:SI.com says that the Rockets are going to come after Jimmy Buckets hard; they also say that the Lakers are scrambling to redo their salary situation and the trade specifics with NO in order to make another Max-FA slot. It's going to be a team of LeBron, AD, 1-2 Max FAs, and 2nd round picks lol.

How do the Rockets come after him hard? They have no capspace and Gordon is the only asset they have in a S&T.


He wouldn't be of interest to us directly but they could trade Capela to someone else and have those assets routed to us.

I'm not sure what they would be able to obtain for Clint but I suppose we could do worse in a "Jimmy wants out" scenario. Gordon would fit seamlessly and he's on a reasonable contract (for this year).
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 8,291
And1: 4,136
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1598 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I love how reporters draft this stuff like if they use strong enough adjectives they can get around the CBA...


LOL most have ZERO clue about the CBA. In general, reporters are not very bright people.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 18,512
And1: 3,266
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1599 » by AirP. » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I love how reporters draft this stuff like if they use strong enough adjectives they can get around the CBA...


LOL most have ZERO clue about the CBA. In general, reporters are not very bright people.

Last year Houston was willing to trade 4 1st round picks to Minnesota for Butler without him being signed long term (with a chance of him leaving), if Butler tells them he'll sign long term with them, Houston will have no problems moving up to 4 draft picks with players to free up room to sign Butler. Also, adding Butler might allow Houston to downgrade at center (moving Capela) and still be a better team in the playoffs.

Toss in the fact that Houston's owner (Tilman Fertitta) has mentioned Butler by name as a player (last year) he'd want to trade for means he's on their radar at the owner level and once again, this was when Butler really only had 1 year left on his contract (and his player's option). People need to realize, Morey will do what it takes to get players, look at how he was able to acquire CP3, I would think that process would be harder to do then clear out enough room to sign Butler.

Read on Twitter
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,859
And1: 12,205
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1600 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:14 pm

AirP. wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I love how reporters draft this stuff like if they use strong enough adjectives they can get around the CBA...


LOL most have ZERO clue about the CBA. In general, reporters are not very bright people.

Last year Houston was willing to trade 4 1st round picks to Minnesota for Butler without him being signed long term (with a chance of him leaving), if Butler tells them he'll sign long term with them, Houston will have no problems moving up to 4 draft picks with players to free up room to sign Butler. Also, adding Butler might allow Houston to downgrade at center (moving Capela) and still be a better team in the playoffs.

Toss in the fact that Houston's owner (Tilman Fertitta) has mentioned Butler by name as a player (last year) he'd want to trade for means he's on their radar at the owner level and once again, this was when Butler really only had 1 year left on his contract (and his player's option). People need to realize, Morey will do what it takes to get players, look at how he was able to acquire CP3, I would think that process would be harder to do then clear out enough room to sign Butler.

Read on Twitter

So why didnt they get Butler last year?

You seem to have all the quotes supporting theories about how things are gonna go poorly for the Sixers yet never appear when rumors that are good for the Sixers show up... what happened to butler going to play with Kyrie? Or was it Lebron?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers