ImageImageImage

Welcome Jimmy Butler

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#741 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:52 am

The sets we run in crunch time since Butler arrived is really orgasmic from a basketball purist point of view. Good quality shots just need to refine it more.

After Butler’s addition, our starting unit is looking like an upgrade of our deathball unit last year and we looked really dangerous in crunch time
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#742 » by phillynative » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:01 am

He's not an explosive athlete so he doesnt rely on that much which could be a good thing as he gets older. He's sturdy and strong with a low center gravity that helps him stay in front of players but still has good athleticism to get to the rim.I think the only players that will give him problems are the longer ones like giannis and kawhi because he's has relatively short arms (6'8) but he's still able to defend pretty much any wing in the league as he's really savvy on both ends on the floor. He also has a Bravado and Confidence that this team needs with so many young guys trying to find their way.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,851

Post#743 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 am

upriser7 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:It's almost like Butler doesn't need to be a ball pounding guard. Has he ever been? He hasn't had a double digit TOV% since his third year in the league. Maybe he's just talented at getting himself open like JJ and will enjoy getting simple buckets.

I mentioned this already in my post about Jimmy earlier in this thread -
viewtopic.php?p=70055135#p70055135

Jimmy's TO ratio is really really low, lowkey one of the best in league in that aspect. His handles are pretty damn good

Yep, Jimmy's ability to create for others while valuing and taking care of possessions is one of the most underrated aspects of his game.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
AhUtopian
Junior
And1: 61

Post#744 » by AhUtopian » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:25 am

There's zero problem for JB playing off ball,and he's always a ready for contact and hustle plays from defenders so he won't lose ball for mediocre contact.

Sent from my SM-G965F using RealGM mobile app
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#745 » by kuclas » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:41 am

Butler is a very good player. We all know this. He’s top 10-15 player in nba the past 3 years. Frankly anyone in the top 7-20 is almost interchangeable. It hard to crack the top 5.

Now with Jimmy. Sixers have 3 legit options at the end of ball close games. Reddick patrolling the outside. Embiid just needs to camp out in the low block. And butler gets the ball. Simmons is the roamer. And whoever is leftover (chandler, moose, shamet or even forkan)

We can stop with our old end of the game plan teams like Boston figured out.

Jimmy can break down the defense in half court. Draw attention. Embiid or Reddick will be open or much better position to make the basket now.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#746 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:57 am

^Exactly @Kuclas....We have our half court PnR playoff player now. That is essentially what the playoffs turn into. Half court offense, PnR switch, get the mismatch and have your best perimeter scorer get it done. Butler is our guy, and frankly...I think we can get to the finals this year.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,609

Post#747 » by Ice Man » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It's almost like Butler doesn't need to be a ball pounding guard. Has he ever been?

I never have figured out what Usage Rate measures, but whatever it does, Butler's is low for an All Star. He's at 25%, while Kawhi, Joel, Durant, DeRozan, well everybody else whom I have looked up, are at 30%.

From my experience, Butler doesn't much need the ball for three quarters. He has gotten in the habit of demanding it in the 4th and turning that quarter into the Butler Show, which he had to do his last year in Chicago because that team had squat without him, and in Minny because he stopped believing in his teammates. You don't want him doing that here. You want him playing as he does for the first three quarters, in the system, because that means he believes that his guys are good enough to win the game without him needing to blow them off.

The long-winded way of writing that when he's happy he's not a ball pounding guard.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#748 » by TTP » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:It's almost like Butler doesn't need to be a ball pounding guard. Has he ever been?

I never have figured out what Usage Rate measures, but whatever it does, Butler's is low for an All Star. He's at 25%, while Kawhi, Joel, Durant, DeRozan, well everybody else whom I have looked up, are at 30%.

From my experience, Butler doesn't much need the ball for three quarters. He has gotten in the habit of demanding it in the 4th and turning that quarter into the Butler Show, which he had to do his last year in Chicago because that team had squat without him, and in Minny because he stopped believing in his teammates. You don't want him doing that here. You want him playing as he does for the first three quarters, in the system, because that means he believes that his guys are good enough to win the game without him needing to blow them off.

The long-winded way of writing that when he's happy he's not a ball pounding guard.

Usage is an estimate of the percentage of a team's plays that a player ends with either a field goal attempt, a turnover, or getting to the line. Since there's five guys on the court at a time, the average usage is 20%.

Joel's usage has always been exceptionally high. Maybe it drops slightly but it will probably still be over 30%. I'd imagine Jimmy's usage will be similar to what it was in Minnesota and Ben's will drop some. The ideal long-term 5th starter in this group will likely be a similar player to Covington/Ariza/Anunoby, a guy that shoots 3s as the 4th or 5th option on offense and can focus most of their energy on defense. Zhaire is our best hope among our in-house options, especially if he can defend the point of attack.

I imagine Jimmy will feel a lot less of a need to do everything here, especially playing alongside an unselfish playmaker and a reliable two way monster. I'm really interested to see how Brown pulls it all together but the early results seen last game have been quite encouraging.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#749 » by gdog2004 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:36 pm

TTP wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

Usage is an estimate of the percentage of a team's plays that a player ends with either a field goal attempt, a turnover, or getting to the line. Since there's five guys on the court at a time, the average usage is 20%.

Joel's usage has always been exceptionally high. Maybe it drops slightly but it will probably still be over 30%. I'd imagine Jimmy's usage will be similar to what it was in Minnesota and Ben's will drop some. The ideal long-term 5th starter in this group will likely be a similar player to Covington/Ariza/Anunoby, a guy that shoots 3s as the 4th or 5th option on offense and can focus most of their energy on defense. Zhaire is our best hope among our in-house options, especially if he can defend the point of attack.

I imagine Jimmy will feel a lot less of a need to do everything here, especially playing alongside an unselfish playmaker and a reliable two way monster. I'm really interested to see how Brown pulls it all together but the early results seen last game have been quite encouraging.

I think they still need a backup center/PF who can defend and stretch the floor and another PG type guard who can provide offense off the bench. It is not going to be Markelle this year or Amir as the backup center.
2 players that come to mind are someone like a Baynes type from Boston and a Lou Williams type instant offense bad defense.
The backup center/PF is the more pressing need of the two IMO as Embiid is playing too many minutes and the lane is WIDE open as soon as he leaves.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,196

Post#750 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Amazing game from him last night.

My only qualm is he played 38 minutes...like we need to figure out a way to not rundown Jojo, Redick, and Butler this early in the season. If we don't trust Markelle, Shamet, and Korkmaz then we need to find help sooner rather than later.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#751 » by XDevilBoiX » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:13 am

Rename the thread Welcome Mr Clutch Jimmy Butler?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#752 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:54 am

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#753 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 pm

I would like to see him in the high post also when simmons isnt on the floor to take advantage of his decision making. Although he seems to be on the floor with simnmons the most
76ciology
RealGM

Post#754 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:30 am

Read on Twitter

Nice to look at nba2k version
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#755 » by sixers4real » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Jimmy has looked very good so far. Not really forcing, that's the best part I like about him in the first three games.
I expect him to gain even more confidence with that group over the next 7 games, and become a consistent 20 PPG scorer that he has been over the last 4 years.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#756 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:47 pm

sixers4real wrote:Jimmy has looked very good so far. Not really forcing, that's the best part I like about him in the first three games.
I expect him to gain even more confidence with that group over the next 7 games, and become a consistent 20 PPG scorer that he has been over the last 4 years.

I think he has to be more assertive when Biid is off the floor. He needs to carry that unit without Biid and with Ben.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,839

Post#757 » by Negrodamus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:14 pm

76ciology
RealGM

Post#758 » by 76ciology » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM

Post#759 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:41 am

Jimmy Butler locked down Jrue in the last 5 minutes of the game. Jrue was scoreless in that stretch. Butler also had a handful of crazy deflections.

Offensively, I find Butler still not used to playing with our scheme and teammates. For instance, there was one possession when he run a PnR with Amir. He had a clear look but opted to pass for a rolling amir who wasnt expecting a pass. He also missed like two easy lay-ups this game. Overall his 3pt attempts is around 40% less than his usual average.

Overall, I’m OK that he is playing in the flow of the offense and deferring to the hot hand. But I expect him to be that 20/5/5 player when we need him to be just like when he turned into Jimmy Buckets and won us the game against the Hornets
Da Doctor
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,474

Post#760 » by Da Doctor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 am

Jimmy Buckets
Philadelphia 76ers: 1955, 1967, 1983
Philadelphia Eagles: 1948, 1949, 1960, 2017
Philadelphia Phillies: 1980, 2008
Philadelphia Flyers: 1974, 1975
Philadelphia Union: SOON

Return to Philadelphia 76ers