NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,254

Re: So Now What? Post-Butler Plans 

Post#1181 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:55 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
I think the way to go is to have a PF/C rotation of Simmons (who splits time between PF and SF defensively), Embiid, and two modern bigs in Bolden and someone like Vonleh. Either Bolden or Vonleh could be considered the "5" when they're playing together. Have a more traditional 5 like Lopez on the team as the 3rd string to play when necessary but generally is not needed in the rotation.

I think having one truly traditional center is fine to have, that is essentially what Amir's role is on the team, you can have Vonleh/Bolden, replace Muscala with a wing shooter/defender type and replace Amir's role with a legit 7 footer who is just there to be a big body when needed.

So something like this next year:

Simmons(24)/Joseph(24)
Redick(30)/Shamet(10)/Temple(8)
Butler(32)/Temple(16)
Vonleh(24)/Bolden(16)/Simmons(8)
Embiid(32)/Dedmon(16)

If I were the Sixers, I'd make Malcolm Brogdon my top target and would want to bring Redick back off the bench if possible. A poison pill type of deal that the Bucks can't match for Brogdon, or at the very least I'd want to hurt them enough that they have trouble resigning Brook Lopez and Middleton if they match. Beyond him, I'd go for Reggie Bullock, Robin Lopez and Noah Vonleh and look to draft a small forward and a PG prospect if the picks are kept.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#1182 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:43 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I think having one truly traditional center is fine to have, that is essentially what Amir's role is on the team, you can have Vonleh/Bolden, replace Muscala with a wing shooter/defender type and replace Amir's role with a legit 7 footer who is just there to be a big body when needed.

Simmons(24)/Joseph(24)
Butler(32)/Temple(16)
Embiid(32)/Dedmon(16)

If I were the Sixers, I'd make Malcolm Brogdon my top target and would want to bring Redick back off the bench if possible. A poison pill type of deal that the Bucks can't match for Brogdon, or at the very least I'd want to hurt them enough that they have trouble resigning Brook Lopez and Middleton if they match. Beyond him, I'd go for Reggie Bullock, Robin Lopez and Noah Vonleh and look to draft a small forward and a PG prospect if the picks are kept.

He's intriguing, but I don't think we could add much else (even if we trade Fultz). If we could somehow get Brogdon + Redick + Joseph + Vonleh + Dedmon than I'm on board. I just want us to have as much depth as possible after seeing how it's hindered us these last 2 years.

Edit: After looking over Brogdon's season, he may not be worth the contract he's going to get. I think Vonleh + Dedmon + Redick + Joseph + (wing) would make us a more balanced team. If we get rid of Fultz and include JB's cap hold, we'll have about $31 mil in cap space plus the MLE.

-Vonleh to 4 year, $44 mil
-Bullock to 4 year, $32 mil
-Redick to 2 year, $14 mil
-Dedmon to 2 year, $14 mil
-Joseph to 2 year, $10 mil (MLE)

Simmons(24)/Joseph(24)
Redick(30)/Shamet(10)/Bullock(8)
Butler(32)/Bullock(16)
Embiid(30)/Dedmon(18)
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1183 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:07 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Simmons(24)/Joseph(24)
Butler(32)/Temple(16)
Embiid(32)/Dedmon(16)

The issue is if you wait the 6 days of the moratorium plus the 48 hours only for the Bucks to match, most of the other good free agent targets will have signed elsewhere.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#1184 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:05 am

Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Simmons(24)/Joseph(24)
Butler(32)/Temple(16)
Embiid(32)/Dedmon(16)

The issue is if you wait the 6 days of the moratorium plus the 48 hours only for the Bucks to match, most of the other good free agent targets will have signed elsewhere.

I think he's worth the risk, especially with the impact it could have on the Bucks if they lose him. They have Khris, Lopez and Bledsoe who will also be free agents, I'd give Brogdon a poison pill type of contract, he's one of the best two way guards in the league and can guard the 1 or 2 while also shooting 50/40/95. Rather than going after the biggest names getting him would be like how the Warriors signed Iguodala in my opinion.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1185 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:57 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I think he's worth the risk, especially with the impact it could have on the Bucks if they lose him. They have Khris, Lopez and Bledsoe who will also be free agents, I'd give Brogdon a poison pill type of contract, he's one of the best two way guards in the league and can guard the 1 or 2 while also shooting 50/40/95. Rather than going after the biggest names getting him would be like how the Warriors signed Iguodala in my opinion.

13 other teams in the conference... this offseason is too important to be playing games like that.

Not even sure what a poison pill means in this context, Brodgon is a 3rd year guy so the Bucks have full bird rights on him, you can't do the jeremy lin thing ect.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#1186 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 am

Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

13 other teams in the conference... this offseason is too important to be playing games like that.

Not even sure what a poison pill means in this context, Brodgon is a 3rd year guy so the Bucks have full bird rights on him, you can't do the jeremy lin thing ect.

Very few eastern conference teams will have capspace this summer, and those that do are all lottery teams, the Sixers being the only exception.

Poison pill as in frontloading it so much that they will incur serious luxury taxes to resign him. They have 4 core players who will need to be resigned this summer, you can bank on Middleton getting $25-30 million per, Bledsoe will probably be around $15 million per, Lopez $10-12 million per year for 2-3 years, and Malcolm is playing himself to a $16-18 million per year. They are $67 million under the luxury, they are going to go into the luxury to resign these guys, make them go deep into the red to do it if they want him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1187 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:52 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Very few eastern conference teams will have capspace this summer, and those that do are all lottery teams, the Sixers being the only exception.

Poison pill as in frontloading it so much that they will incur serious luxury taxes to resign him. They have 4 core players who will need to be resigned this summer, you can bank on Middleton getting $25-30 million per, Bledsoe will probably be around $15 million per, Lopez $10-12 million per year for 2-3 years, and Malcolm is playing himself to a $16-18 million per year. They are $67 million under the luxury, they are going to go into the luxury to resign these guys, make them go deep into the red to do it if they want him.

Yeah I know Milwaukee's tax situation. What I mean is our goal isn't just to screw the Bucks over, it's to add enough talent to compete with the other top teams in the conference. We also only have like $20 million in space, the number you're talking about wouldn't allow us to even resign Redick in the interim. We have several holes in our rotation, I'd rather target guys from day 1 that we can just sign. What you're describing makes sense for a rebuilding team, I don't think it does for a team in the Sixers situation.

Him and Kyrie would be a pretty great backcourt with Porzingis, how about the Knicks do us a favor and weaken the Bucks and Celtics? :D
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#1188 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 am

Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Yeah I know Milwaukee's tax situation. What I mean is our goal isn't just to screw the Bucks over, it's to add enough talent to compete with the other top teams in the conference. We also only have like $20 million in space, the number you're talking about wouldn't allow us to even resign Redick in the interim. We have several holes in our rotation, I'd rather target guys from day 1 that we can just sign. What you're describing makes sense for a rebuilding team, I don't think it does for a team in the Sixers situation.

Him and Kyrie would be a pretty great backcourt with Porzingis, how about the Knicks do us a favor and weaken the Bucks and Celtics? :D

I think Fultz gets moved for space to be honest, which would bring you up to around $31 million. It's a bold move, I'm very high on Brogdon and a move like that for such a high quality roleplayer could push the Sixers over the top, he can play either guard spot. Most importantly, you look at how he's able to play with Giannis, Middleton and Bledsoe and can just think of how well he'd be able to function with Jimmy, Embiid and Simmons since he's already accustomed to being the 4th guy, yet still plays exceptional.

He's not a flashy enough name for the Knicks, we're going to clear out room for KD & Kyrie and get neither, it's the way of the Knicks :lol:
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1189 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

How so, Redick is an Early Bird FA, right?

Nevertheless, Redick is really important for our offense, but if we wan't to take the next step we should aim for guys who are contributors, or at least neutrals on both ends.

I'd love Brogdon for 16 million dollars, but I don't think he's available for that amount. Bucks probably prefer him over Bledsoe if they have to choose since he's a better off ball player, more consistent defender and younger.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1190 » by LloydFree » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:13 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I think Fultz gets moved for space to be honest, which would bring you up to around $31 million. It's a bold move, I'm very high on Brogdon and a move like that for such a high quality roleplayer could push the Sixers over the top, he can play either guard spot. Most importantly, you look at how he's able to play with Giannis, Middleton and Bledsoe and can just think of how well he'd be able to function with Jimmy, Embiid and Simmons since he's already accustomed to being the 4th guy, yet still plays exceptional.

He's not a flashy enough name for the Knicks, we're going to clear out room for KD & Kyrie and get neither, it's the way of the Knicks :lol:

I wouldn't be opposed to Brogden But instead of trying to playing chicken with Milwaukee to sign him, why not just trade for Rodney McGruder right now and get his restricted rights. Miami is waaaay over the the luxury tax and will be again next year. They can't afford to keep McGruder. Give the Heat our 2019 1st, so they can get something for him and open up playing time for the other 25 SGs on their roster.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,907

Post#1191 » by Wilfried » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:40 pm

LloydFree wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to Brogden But instead of trying to playing chicken with Milwaukee to sign him, why not just trade for Rodney McGruder right now and get his restricted rights. Miami is waaaay over the the luxury tax and will be again next year. They can't afford to keep McGruder. Give the Heat our 2019 1st, so they can get something for him and open up playing time for the other 25 SGs on their roster.

We're not helping the Heat (2021 unprotected pick)
PAB_82
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1192 » by PAB_82 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Shooter off the bench like Marco, decent back up center and we can play with anybody in the East come playoff time.

PS

need to keep playing Bolden so he good to go come playoff time as well.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1193 » by LloydFree » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Wilfried wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to Brogden But instead of trying to playing chicken with Milwaukee to sign him, why not just trade for Rodney McGruder right now and get his restricted rights. Miami is waaaay over the the luxury tax and will be again next year. They can't afford to keep McGruder. Give the Heat our 2019 1st, so they can get something for him and open up playing time for the other 25 SGs on their roster.

We're not helping the Heat (2021 unprotected pick)

What????

Why in the world would anyone be concerned about how the 25th pick in '19 helps the Heat? The '25th pick in a draft isn't likely to make a bit of difference to the fortunes of the Heat or the 76ers in '19, '20 or '21.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#1194 » by the_process » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:33 pm

MIL gets Lee and 2021 MIA 1st
NYK gets Chandler and Patton
PHI gets Snell, Brogdon, and Vonleh

Brogdon/McConnell/Fultz
Redick/Shamet/Smith
Butler/Snell/Korkmaz
Simmons/Bolden/Muscala
Embiid/Vonleh/Johnson

Yep, it's an overpay. Probably costs more $ than you'd like to resign Brogdon, too. But you don't trade for Butler and then hope that everything perfect just falls in your lap. You go and get it.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1195 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:36 pm

the_process wrote:MIL gets Lee and 2021 MIA 1st
NYK gets Chandler and Patton
PHI gets Snell, Brogdon, and Vonleh

Brogdon/McConnell/Fultz
Redick/Shamet/Smith
Butler/Snell/Korkmaz
Simmons/Bolden/Muscala
Embiid/Vonleh/Johnson

Yep, it's an overpay. Probably costs more $ than you'd like to resign Brogdon, too. But you don't trade for Butler and then hope that everything perfect just falls in your lap. You go and get it.

You do know that the Bucks have #1 record in the league right? This is their window, no way they're selling.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#1196 » by Monix » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 pm

there is some SERIOUS disrespect for Malcolm Brogdon in this thread

the guy is shooting 52/42/95 with a 2:1 A/TO and playing solid defense for a good team

to think that he's "not going to be worth his contract" or gotten in a trade for just the MIA pick is silly
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#1197 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Yeah someone like Brogdon is who we need replacing Chandler in the starting lineup.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1198 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Monix wrote:there is some SERIOUS disrespect for Malcolm Brogdon in this thread

the guy is shooting 52/42/95 with a 2:1 A/TO and playing solid defense for a good team

to think that he's "not going to be worth his contract" or gotten in a trade for just the MIA pick is silly

Who said any of that. Brogdon is a very good player. The issue is that he's restricted and trying to sign him at whatever number you think he's worth is probably a waste of time since the Bucks will probably just match. Remember how we missed out on a bunch of free agents that agreed to deals on July 1 last year because we were waiting on Lebron? Imagine that only instead of waiting one day we have to wait a week.

If I'm the Bucks bringing Brogdon back is my highest priority. If anything we should be talking about whether we think Bledsoe is worth bringing in since if the Bucks decide they can't retain everyone he's probably the person they're most likely to let go.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#1199 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Monix wrote:there is some SERIOUS disrespect for Malcolm Brogdon in this thread

I for sure don't think he's worth it for our team.

If you pay Brogdon $20 mil/year (which is what it's going to take to pry him away from MIL), then we're going to have the same holes next year as we do this year. No backup center. No backup PG. Underwhelming players at the 4. No legitimate backup for Butler.

Bringing in Brogdon to slightly upgrade (downgrade??) from JJ is just not worth everything else we'd have to sacrifice.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Sikma85
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1200 » by Sikma85 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:02 pm

If guys add a few pieces like you did last year, the Sixers are the last team from the East we'd like to play in the Finals. We (GS) have no answer for Embiid, and Ben Simmons is a match up nightmare for us.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers