ImageImageImage

So Now What? Post-Butler Plans

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Re: So Now What? Post-Butler Plans 

Post#1221 » by gdog2004 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm

SixerfanOH wrote:Do we really want to resign Jimmy for over 30 million for 5 years when at 29 he already is missing 10-15% of the games??

That will be asked many times over by fans and the Sixers front office over the next few months.
It's not so much the games he has missed, it's the fact that he has not been that great since he has gotten here.
Above average for sure, but not superstar level IMO.
If I were the Sixers I would go all in on Kawhi Leonard all day. Or Durant. Butler would be my 4th or 5th choice.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#1222 » by XDevilBoiX » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 am

Read on Twitter
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#1223 » by Monix » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 am

lookin good!

lol

seriously, Pompey has nothing better to contribute than that trash 12 second clip?

We need an upgrade there
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#1224 » by phifans » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:48 am

gdog2004 wrote:
SixerfanOH wrote:Do we really want to resign Jimmy for over 30 million for 5 years when at 29 he already is missing 10-15% of the games??

That will be asked many times over by fans and the Sixers front office over the next few months.
It's not so much the games he has missed, it's the fact that he has not been that great since he has gotten here.
If I were the Sixers I would go all in on Kawhi Leonard all day. Or Durant. Butler would be my 4th or 5th choice.

Who wouldnt though ... At least aquiring Butler gives you an advantage of securing an allstar.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,844

Post#1225 » by Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:08 am

gdog2004 wrote:

I'm a huge Jimmy Butler fan since the time he was drafted. Yet of course I have to agree with you here. He hasn't been all-star level here, and Kawhi and Durant would be better free agent signings.

That said, remember Stephen Stills:

Kawhi seems to me most likely to re-sign with Toronto or else with a sexy, West Coast team.
Durant, same thing with GSW or West Coast.

Butler's here and we have the signing edge. If the Sixers pursue the other guys and whiff, Butler will be gone.
So to me, the question isn't Jimmy versus those superior guys. The question is, do we want Jimmy at his market price?
Tough question.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Post#1226 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:19 am

Monix wrote:lookin good!

lol

seriously, Pompey has nothing better to contribute than that trash 12 second clip?

We need an upgrade there

He is really the worst. Not sure how he has a job. Anyone out of college could instantly do better.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
gdog2004
Starter

Post#1227 » by gdog2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 am

XDevilBoiX wrote:
Read on Twitter

Markelle ?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#1228 » by the_process » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:06 am

Call Durant and Kawhi first to make sure they don't want to come. Then offer Jimmy his full 5-188 max with the 5th year unguaranteed. If that doesn't work, then offer 5-150. If that's a no, wish him luck and make a max offer to Khris Middleton.
gdog2004
Starter

Post#1229 » by gdog2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:06 am

Ben wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:

I'm a huge Jimmy Butler fan since the time he was drafted. Yet of course I have to agree with you here. He hasn't been all-star level here, and Kawhi and Durant would be better free agent signings.

That said, remember Stephen Stills:

Kawhi seems to me most likely to re-sign with Toronto or else with a sexy, West Coast team.
Durant, same thing with GSW or West Coast.

Butler's here and we have the signing edge. If the Sixers pursue the other guys and whiff, Butler will be gone.
So to me, the question isn't Jimmy versus those superior guys. The question is, do we want Jimmy at his market price?
Tough question.

You are right. But who knows maybe, just maybe Leonard had an awesome relationship with Brett Brown and it pays off. Maybe.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach

Post#1230 » by XDevilBoiX » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:33 am

gdog2004 wrote:
XDevilBoiX wrote:
Read on Twitter

Markelle ?

Fultz is at Chick Fil A doing his PT
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1231 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm

I say go in for Mike Conley. He would fit perfectly from a timeline and on court perspective, and he is under contract for 2 more years so no guessing if he will sign or not. He's younger than Butler and would complement Ben and JoJo very nicely as he's used to having a post up big next to him.

He's a perimeter defender and a competitive gamer who can create his own shot or play off ball.

Another benefit is if in fact Jimmy does not want to sign, you still have 3 stars and lots of money to fill in role players. But having Conley takes the Sixers to at least the ECF this year in my opinion, and should make Jimmy want to sign even more.

If Memphis would take Chandler, Muscala and Fultz, plus maybe a pick? And send back Conley and a guy like Casspi, would you do it?

Simmons/Conley/Redick/Butler/Embiid

With a bench of

TJ/Shamet/Brewer/Casspi/Bolden

If Redick calls it quits or doesn't want to sign a vet minimum deal, Shamet is there to take over his role. If TJ doesn't re-sign, you can draft a replacement at backup PG or find a vet minimum type. Zhaire comes back, Patton comes back, and some 2nd round picks round out the depth.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#1232 » by Wilfried » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:35 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:I say go in for Mike Conley. He would fit perfectly from a timeline and on court perspective, and he is under contract for 2 more years so no guessing if he will sign or not. He's younger than Butler and would complement Ben and JoJo very nicely as he's used to having a post up big next to him.

He's a perimeter defender and a competitive gamer who can create his own shot or play off ball.

Another benefit is if in fact Jimmy does not want to sign, you still have 3 stars and lots of money to fill in role players. But having Conley takes the Sixers to at least the ECF this year in my opinion, and should make Jimmy want to sign even more.

If Memphis would take Chandler, Muscala and Fultz, plus maybe a pick? And send back Conley and a guy like Casspi, would you do it?

With a bench of

If Redick calls it quits or doesn't want to sign a vet minimum deal, Shamet is there to take over his role. If TJ doesn't re-sign, you can draft a replacement at backup PG or find a vet minimum type. Zhaire comes back, Patton comes back, and some 2nd round picks round out the depth.

Allthough I really like Mike Conley, some questions;

1) Fit with Simmons because he's not an off-the-ball player
2) What does his contract means for our cap when we also need (?) to re-sign Jimmy this summer
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach

Post#1233 » by XDevilBoiX » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:I say go in for Mike Conley. He would fit perfectly from a timeline and on court perspective, and he is under contract for 2 more years so no guessing if he will sign or not. He's younger than Butler and would complement Ben and JoJo very nicely as he's used to having a post up big next to him.

With a bench of

Conley is actually 2 years older then Jimmy.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#1234 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:43 pm

With a bench of

As mentioned Conley is older than Jimmy. And I like him but that's too many ball-handlers in that lineup. Definitely a situation of the whole being less than the sum of the parts. Now had we held off on the Jimmy trade and made a Dario + filler trade for Conley, that would've been interesting with Covington still here. Conley/Redick/Covington/Simmons/Embiid.
gdog2004
Starter

Post#1235 » by gdog2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pm

With a bench of

I agree. I would take Mike Conley over or with Jimmy Butler. Although I think Conley has a huge contract so you would have to let Butler go.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#1236 » by NBA Moses » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:43 pm

The next 3-4 months will dictate whether JImmy Butler + Sixers are in each others long term plans. At this stage in his career I'm hesitant whether Jimmy is a Max player but if the Sixers show well in the playoffs it will most likely happen.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Post#1237 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:13 pm

NBA Moses wrote:

The next 3-4 months will dictate whether JImmy Butler + Sixers are in each others long term plans. At this stage in his career I'm hesitant whether Jimmy is a Max player but if the Sixers show well in the playoffs it will most likely happen.

Yup. Jimmys future here will be determined in the playoffs.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#1238 » by sixers hoops » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Brand has a great but tough job. He was gifted two stars with a challenging fit, and BC squandered most of the assets to complete the puzzle.

I think the best case scenario would be jimmy taking a slightly more reasonable contract to stay with us. If his value has taken a little dip this year, maybe we don’t have to go max years.

Brand also needs to stumble onto his own Middleton draft steal type of starter. Maybe a Lowry type prospect that needs a change of scenery...somebody who doesn’t cost us max money or a type 5 pick. Just finding value that others overlook.
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#1239 » by papajoe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:

Yup. Jimmys future here will be determined in the playoffs.

No it won't lol. We gave away two huge pieces to sign him. We will offer him the full max regardless and he will likely take it. Reason he was desperate to get traded so he could be eligible for full max and not take 30m less in free agency.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1240 » by BullyKing » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:52 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Brand has a great but tough job. He was gifted two stars with a challenging fit, and BC squandered most of the assets to complete the puzzle.

I think the best case scenario would be jimmy taking a slightly more reasonable contract to stay with us. If his value has taken a little dip this year, maybe we don’t have to go max years.

Brand also needs to stumble onto his own Middleton draft steal type of starter. Maybe a Lowry type prospect that needs a change of scenery...somebody who doesn’t cost us max money or a type 5 pick. Just finding value that others overlook.

Given Jimmy's comments that he doesn't plan to play forever, I think that is the most likely outcome - max contract but at 4 years instead of 5.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers