So Now What? Post-Butler Plans

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: So Now What? Post-Butler Plans 

Post#1321 » by LloydFree » Sat Feb 2, 2019 4:30 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Since Davis & Simmons are repped by clutch, a trade of Simmons for Davis is probably highly unlikely as the Pels would just lose Simmons in the future.

Thinking two steps ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if Clutch isn't planning to send Simmons to the Lakers as LeBron James replacement to play with Anthony Davis, when LeBron's contract is up. So it's imperative to get this Championship in the next 3-4 years.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#1322 » by XDevilBoiX » Sat Feb 2, 2019 4:32 pm

LloydFree wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Since Davis & Simmons are repped by clutch, a trade of Simmons for Davis is probably highly unlikely as the Pels would just lose Simmons in the future.

Thinking two steps ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if Clutch isn't planning to send Simmons to the Lakers as LeBron James replacement to play with Anthony Davis, when LeBron's contract is up. So it's imperative to get this Championship in the next 3-4 years.

I was thinking the same thing when news of the AD broke. LBJ has this all planned out
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1323 » by VDT » Sat Feb 2, 2019 7:08 pm

Simmons has one more year in his rookie contract and 5 more years afterwards. So even if he request a trade before his last year that will be 5 years from now.

That is a long time to predict anything. For one Giannis free agency is a lot earlier and if the Lakers get him it is hard to see those two playing together. Then there is the relationship between Simmons and Embiid. Whether it will be more like Shaq-Kobe or Jordan-Pippen will be determined by the chemistry between them and their relative level of play.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,056

Post#1324 » by Sixerscan » Sat Feb 2, 2019 7:20 pm

I think they would be trying to win a title in the next 4-5 years regardless of who Ben Simmons' agent is.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,633

Post#1325 » by FireMorey » Sat Feb 2, 2019 7:24 pm

Not to be "random internet dude with sources guy" but I heard from someone I trust greatly that the Sixers are going to go hardcore after Kawhi Leonard this summer. Don't think the Sixers are his #1 preferred destination, but I think the Sixers will be one of the teams he will consider.

Just throwing it out there.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,224

Post#1326 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Feb 2, 2019 7:59 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:Not to be "random internet dude with sources guy" but I heard from someone I trust greatly that the Sixers are going to go hardcore after Kawhi Leonard this summer. Don't think the Sixers are his #1 preferred destination, but I think the Sixers will be one of the teams he will consider.

Would love it but have a tough time seeing him pick us over the Clippers or Raptors.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1327 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Feb 2, 2019 8:47 pm

ProcessTrusta wrote:Not to be "random internet dude with sources guy" but I heard from someone I trust greatly that the Sixers are going to go hardcore after Kawhi Leonard this summer. Don't think the Sixers are his #1 preferred destination, but I think the Sixers will be one of the teams he will consider.

Respected NBA reporter Chris Haynes said at the time Kawhi was on the trade block that "the sixers are one of the few teams he wouldn't mind joining and would consider an extention". Word is his uncle/agent is a sixers fan and actually lives in New Jersey, so there just might be a chance if Brand and co can get a meeting.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1328 » by LloydFree » Sat Feb 2, 2019 9:10 pm

VDT wrote:Simmons has one more year in his rookie contract and 5 more years afterwards. So even if he request a trade before his last year that will be 5 years from now.

That is a long time to predict anything. For one Giannis free agency is a lot earlier and if the Lakers get him it is hard to see those two playing together. Then there is the relationship between Simmons and Embiid. Whether it will be more like Shaq-Kobe or Jordan-Pippen will be determined by the chemistry between them and their relative level of play.

I think Mark Cuban is setting up the fix for Giannis.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1329 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Feb 3, 2019 1:55 am

If that is the "plan", as in "plan A", then I suspect Markelle will be traded at the deadline for an expiring Vet who can help with a push this year. Shame really.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,174

Post#1330 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 3, 2019 2:22 am

LloydFree wrote:
VDT wrote:Simmons has one more year in his rookie contract and 5 more years afterwards. So even if he request a trade before his last year that will be 5 years from now.

I think Mark Cuban is setting up the fix for Giannis.

This is pretty well established. They're planning to have MAX cap space in 2021 to take a hard run at Giannis to team him up with Doncic and Porzingis. Not sure if there are any other major free agents that summer, so it'll be all about Giannis then.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,174

Post#1331 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 3, 2019 2:35 am

51X3RF4N wrote:

If that is the "plan", as in "plan A", then I suspect Markelle will be traded at the deadline for an expiring Vet who can help with a push this year. Shame really.

Not necessarily. It won't be a problem to dump Fultz this summer to a team that has cap space assuming we get a commitment from Kawhi. We don't have to do anything now.

I assume the plan is to try to keep Butler AND get Kawhi. If both guys take a very slight discount vs. the MAX we can fit them both assuming we trade away Fultz and our 1st rounder for pure cap and/or future picks. Then I assume we'd ask Redick to resign for the Room Exception with the promise to make him whole the following year, then fill in the rest with vet mins. We can re-sign TJ too with Bird Rights since his cap hold is so small we wouldn't have to renounce him.

PG Redick | Shamet | TJ
SG Butler | Smith | ???
SF Leonard | ??? | ???
PF Simmons | Bolden | ???
CE Embiid | ??? | ???

So we'd have 9 players and need to sign 5 guys. I assume we fill a spot with Shake Milton. May finally bring over Vasilije Micic also.

Then 3 vet mins. Prob bring Chandler back unless he gets a better offer. Same with Muscala. Perhaps Patton also.
SixerfanOH
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#1332 » by SixerfanOH » Sun Feb 3, 2019 5:22 pm

If Knicks sign KD and Kyrie and draft RJ Barret (or Xion), Riddick might want to sign with them for less to chase a chip and be closer to home
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,528

Post#1333 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Feb 4, 2019 12:08 am

SixerfanOH wrote:If Knicks sign KD and Kyrie and draft RJ Barret (or Xion), Riddick might want to sign with them for less to chase a chip and be closer to home

Of the two NY teams, the Nets would be the bigger threat for Reddick since his family lives in Brooklyn, plus they wanted him two years ago.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,115

Post#1334 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:33 pm

So we're probably not trading Jimmy Butler, right?
MR28
Starter
And1: 1,553

Post#1335 » by MR28 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:39 pm

Kobblehead wrote:So we're probably not trading Jimmy Butler, right?

I would imagine not, have you heard rumblings otherwise?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1336 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:48 pm

Nah, I'm just curious about how the front office views him, longterm. And if he wants to be here.

For instance, if his endgame is playing for the Clippers with Kawhi, I could see the logic in flipping him to L.A. for Tobias Harris plus salary.

Harris wouldn't be too much of a dropoff in impact and an even better fit so the Sixers wouldn't be mailing it in on their playoff run this year.

It would be a chance for both the Sixers and Clippers to have an audition period for each respective player they could possible sign this summer.

Just stream of thought.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1337 » by kio80 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:47 pm

I know I am gonna get a lot of hate for this.
But have we considered Embiid for AD?
It actually makes sense, think of what we have now, with Simmons at the point , we can run a lineup without a traditional center.

Small ball line up, extremely quick up and down the court, we will be bucks on steroids....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1338 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:18 pm

It's an interesting premise. One I'm sure Rich Paul would be fine with.

However, I'm sure LeBron would step in and pull an executive decision at Klutch to block that.

As of now, Davis is the only impact star that has expressed any desire to play with LeBron (other than rumblings of Kyrie interest in a reunion). LeBron is probably feeling really insecure and desperate and won't let Rich Paul direct AD anywhere but L.A.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,642

Post#1339 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:47 pm

Now with Tobias..

In the fourth quarters or crunch time, Ben and Biid can focus on defense and let Tobias and Butler do their thing on offense. Elite defense with good ts% offense and little TO rate.

I also feel like we have enough length to play 3v4 defense whenever we trap the guy who’s trying to attack JJ on defense
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,642

Post#1340 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 7, 2019 5:07 pm

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers