ImageImageImage

Melo interest? **Officially released**

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Re: Melo interest? **Officially pre-released** 

Post#41 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:40 am

XDevilBoiX wrote:Only reason to sign him is to match salaries in a trade, Brand can just tell him to sit at home and wait for the news.

I don't think that will happen....if he comes here (long shot), I think it would be to play.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,045

Post#42 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
XDevilBoiX wrote:Only reason to sign him is to match salaries in a trade, Brand can just tell him to sit at home and wait for the news.

I don't think that will happen....if he comes here (long shot), I think it would be to play.

You can’t trade vets signed to one year deals without their permission anyway.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,983

Post#43 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 am

Also wouldn't his salary come off the books if he was claimed off waivers? He's just making the Min. Which should mean any team could claim him.

Don't think he'd be paid twice in that circumstance though he would probably prefer the extra cash even if it isn't much all things considering. However, I would think should he be claimed Houston would get cap relief
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#44 » by marcush » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:41 am

At this stage of his career he’s the Okafor of combo forwards. He’s supposed to be a good offensive player but he’s really inefficient. And obviously, he’s an absolute dud defensively. Unsurprisingly Prokafors are interested....thankfully BC is gone or he would be ours.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#45 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:44 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Also wouldn't his salary come off the books if he was claimed off waivers? He's just making the Min. Which should mean any team could claim him.

Don't think he'd be paid twice in that circumstance though he would probably prefer the extra cash even if it isn't much all things considering. However, I would think should he be claimed Houston would get cap relief

Yeah if he's claimed he comes off the books. That may also be why they are waiting to see if anyone will. But if you are another team, why do that? You're helping Houston (and if you are under the tax, costing yourself a share of Houston's tax bill). Plus the only reason you would claim him is to stop him from signing with another team. Anyone really want to deal with Melo being pissy about not getting to go to the team he wants to go to?

If he clears waivers and signs somewhere as a free agent he gets paid twice I believe. He's already getting paid by both Atlanta and Houston as it is.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#46 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:12 pm

marcush wrote:At this stage of his career he’s the Okafor of combo forwards. He’s supposed to be a good offensive player but he’s really inefficient. And obviously, he’s an absolute dud defensively. Unsurprisingly Prokafors are interested....thankfully BC is gone or he would be ours.

Why are you guys so obsessed with Okafor? He's gone you need moveon and find a new slant.

Also noone in this thread wants ISO Melo. Hell noone in this thread has expressed more then tepid interest period. The only interest any of us have is if Melo agreed to change the way he played and even then if he came here I wouldn't have high hopes considering his stints in Hou and OKC. It's just we have Chandler and Muscala. One isn't a PF the other can't play.

Some here say just be patient and wait but I don't think expecting another Ersan to fall from the sky is a smart strategy. I wouldn't be thrilled with the move but right now all we are left with is bad options at PF.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#47 » by XDevilBoiX » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:

You can’t trade vets signed to one year deals without their permission anyway.

Thanks, did not know this
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#48 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:03 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
marcush wrote:At this stage of his career he’s the Okafor of combo forwards. He’s supposed to be a good offensive player but he’s really inefficient. And obviously, he’s an absolute dud defensively. Unsurprisingly Prokafors are interested....thankfully BC is gone or he would be ours.

Why are you guys so obsessed with Okafor? He's gone you need moveon and find a new slant.

Also noone in this thread wants ISO Melo. Hell noone in this thread has expressed more then tepid interest period. The only interest any of us have is if Melo agreed to change the way he played and even then if he came here I wouldn't have high hopes considering his stints in Hou and OKC. It's just we have Chandler and Muscala. One isn't a PF the other can't play.

Some here say just be patient and wait but I don't think expecting another Ersan to fall from the sky is a smart strategy. I wouldn't be thrilled with the move but right now all we are left with is bad options at PF.

Give Muscala a chance to adjust to that bulky mask he’s playing with (didn’t exactly put the same level of care they gave Embiid’s, huh?). He’s better than what he’s shown, and more importantly is willing to play a role that Melo has been unwilling or able to fill.

Id rather play Bolden or bring in some stretch 4 from the D league over bringing in Melo.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#49 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:13 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:if Melo agreed to change the way he played

Which is an idea that has rendered itself pointless to even talk about, don't you think?

In an alternative universe, Melo could have transitioned into a capable role player. It wasn't/isn't happening in our reality, though.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#50 » by gdog2004 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:13 pm

I'd say I was a Prokafor back in the day and I am definitely not interested in Carmelo.
And just to flashback to the Prokafor /Noel stuff.
Okafor is definitely a bust.
But so is Noel unless you consider 5 pts and 5 rebounds a game to be a "generational talent" :lol: .
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#51 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:38 pm

gdog2004 wrote:

I'd say I was a Prokafor back in the day and I am definitely not interested in Carmelo.
But so is Noel unless you consider 5 pts and 5 rebounds a game to be a "generational talent" :lol: .

We overrated him, but nobody ever considered Nerlens a generational talent. I'd also take 5.3 pts 5.4 rebs and 1.4 blks in 14 mpg out of make backup center right now in an instant (just not at the 20M some of us were on board to pay him)
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#52 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Okafor is a relevant comp IMO. There are certain styles of play that are only valuable when you have a certain level of talent advantage. Okafor never had it at the NBA level, Melo did but he got old.

Once you don’t have that edge, you have to adjust your game and fit in. Both probably have still the talent to do that but haven’t shown the ability/willingness to do so.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#53 » by TTP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:01 pm

spikeslovechild wrote: It's just we have Chandler and Muscala. One isn't a PF the other can't play.

Chandler can certainly give you minutes at the 4. Muscala is a good player. Melo would be a significant downgrade from both, as would probably anyone else we'd be able to acquire at that price.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#54 » by Chris76 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

Give Muscala a chance to adjust to that bulky mask he’s playing with (didn’t exactly put the same level of care they gave Embiid’s, huh?). He’s better than what he’s shown, and more importantly is willing to play a role that Melo has been unwilling or able to fill.

Id rather play Bolden or bring in some stretch 4 from the D league over bringing in Melo.

Surprisingly, Bolden could be a good defender. He is willing to cutoff P-n-Rs, which is a huge weakness for the Sixers.

Bolden and Shamet should be learning this year in the G-league. However, both have an opportunity to get playing time and valuable experience.
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#55 » by thenbaman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Unless its to get korver other wise NO.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#56 » by gdog2004 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:23 pm

youngcrev wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:

We overrated him, but nobody ever considered Nerlens a generational talent. I'd also take 5.3 pts 5.4 rebs and 1.4 blks in 14 mpg out of make backup center right now in an instant (just not at the 20M some of us were on board to pay him)

As I recall when Nerlens was traded it was like we just gave away Wilt in his prime. A ton of people wayyyy overvalued him.
Including Sam Hinkie. Having said that, I think they both have talent, but attitude/mindset determines your nba career as much as talent, probably even more so. Pretty much what Butler said the other night as well about Markelle.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#57 » by Winejk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:24 pm

I think Melo now is like Iverson at the end of his career. Iverson insisted he was a starter and refused to be the scorer off the bench. He bounced around from team to team and league to league until he became irrelevant. The same process is happening with Melo.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#58 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Okafor is a relevant comp IMO. There are certain styles of play that are only valuable when you have a certain level of talent advantage. Okafor never had it at the NBA level, Melo did but he got old.

Once you don’t have that edge, you have to adjust your game and fit in. Both probably have still the talent to do that but haven’t shown the ability/willingness to do so.

Okafor has knee problems and can't play defense. Maybe if he was still performing at his rookie year level sure the comp would have merit but at this point Okafor is barely worthy of a roster spot let alone minutes. He's been DNP for half the season and is only playing 8 minutes a game.

I don't get the comparison at all and I refuse to draw myself into another Okafor debate. People need to move on. He had a great rookie year then got injured and has regressed tremendously. It's unfortunate. We need to move on.

I think as far as Melo goes he has to realize he only has a couple of years left. So it sort of becomes how does he want to go out. He can still be useful if he decides to be but it's something he has to decide. I don't have confidence it will happen because like others have pointed out two teams have tried to change him and adjust his play into a role that would be more condusive moving forward. He's refused. So why is it going to work here? That is the question.

But I'm open to anything at PF. Including Bolden. Muscala isn't getting it done. Chandler can play some small ball PF but he's going to get abused against the bigger guys and over his career hasn't been much of a 3PT shooter. A guy like Ersan was a perfect fit then and would be now but that guy isn't likely to fall down from the sky. We can give Muscala more time but he needs to be better we just need more from the position.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#59 » by marcush » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:03 am

Expecting Melo not to be Melo is a waste of time. Similar to when people expected Okafor to improve his defence.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#60 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:58 pm

marcush wrote:Expecting Melo not to be Melo is a waste of time. Similar to when people expected Okafor to improve his defence.

Expecting Embiid to be okay with the status quo is also a problem. The more I've seen Chandler-Muscala the more I'm willing to give Melo a shot at that role if he is willing to take it. He has to have been humbled somewhat.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers