Suns vs Sixers 11/19 @ 7pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

SixersMS
Junior
And1: 99

Re: Suns vs Sixers 11/19 @ 7pm EST 

Post#421 » by SixersMS » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:58 am

Sixerscan wrote:
SixersMS wrote:Is there a site where I can watch some of the post-game interviews? I don't mean right after the game but can you click on to a link later and watch?

Sixers generally have them on sixers.com and their youtube channel by the next day.

Thanks!
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,192

Post#422 » by eyeatoma » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:51 am

If this doesn't tell you that Jimmy is being underutilized nothign will. He has a usage of 17 in this game, and of 20 the last game. Embiid has been in the high 30s and Simmons in the mid to high 20s.

Cmon, you can't have a star player (a clearly bigger star than Simmons), averaging 19 on his usage over the last 2 games. Yes, it's a small sample size, but it's beyond frustrating, to see that he isn't getting the ball more. All of these issues with our offense can easily be resolved by letting him handle more.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#423 » by sixers hoops » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 am

eyeatoma wrote:If this doesn't tell you that Jimmy is being underutilized nothign will. He has a usage of 17 in this game, and of 20 the last game. Embiid has been in the high 30s and Simmons in the mid to high 20s.

Cmon, you can't have a star player (a clearly bigger star than Simmons), averaging 19 on his usage over the last 2 games. Yes, it's a small sample size, but it's beyond frustrating, to see that he isn't getting the ball more. All of these issues with our offense can easily be resolved by letting him handle more.

Yeah, but he has only been playing with us since wed. He is better than Ben and we would likely benefit from him getting more touches, but they might be trying to not give him too much responsibility until they practice together a few times. It’s not just a small sample size, but a small sample size for a guy getting acclimated to a new team. I will give it a few weeks and see where they’re at. They are winning right now, so not a huge issue.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#424 » by eyeatoma » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:21 am

Mike O'Connor from the athletic noticed the same thing. Said it's unusual for Butler to be so uninvolved in the offense. Said that Brett is still working through it, but unusual none the less.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#425 » by sixers hoops » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 am

eyeatoma wrote:Mike O'Connor from the athletic noticed the same thing. Said it's unusual for Butler to be so uninvolved in the offense. Said that Brett is still working through it, but unusual none the less.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah. I think everybody noticed. Some people will panic and some will give Brett more than a week to figure it out.

The team has won three in a row, so Brett has them winning. We are fine. Now he knows he needs Butler to have a larger role in our offense to win in the playoffs. As long as he keeps winning games, he can slowly implement new ways to have Jimmy, Ben, and Jojo all work well together. He can slowly add to Jimmy’s offensive workload as opposed disrupting the entire team so people don’t panic about his usage.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#426 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:45 am

I really don't see the big deal. We have won 3 games and should have won all 4 since the Butler addition.

Butler had a 20.8 USG rate throughout his first 3 games as a Sixer...averaging 19/3/4 with 1.3 steals on good, efficient shooting %'s and 12.7 FGA. This is with him still figuring things out.

Last season in Min he had a 24.9 USG rate and averaged 15.6 FGA (which was the 2nd most in his career).

I think as he learns this offense, gets situated and develops some chemistry with it and his teammates....its pretty easy to imagine Butler getting 3 more shots a game and more chances with the ball in his hands, resulting in a bump in USG.

I want more Butler just like everyone else, but I think people forget he just got here less then a week ago and has probably had very minimal actual practice time. Sure we brought him in to be a "star", but we also brought him in to help US win games, which he's doing. Embiid is still going to score and be a dominant force, and Ben is still going to have the ball in his hands, making plays and developing as well. Give it some time and I'm sure Butler will establish himself with this team.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#427 » by Sixerscan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:10 am

Sixers beat Jazz and Hornets
Celtics lose to Jazz and Hornets

Things are going great.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#428 » by eyeatoma » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 am

PhilasFinest wrote:I really don't see the big deal. We have won 3 games and should have won all 4 since the Butler addition.

Butler had a 20.8 USG rate throughout his first 3 games as a Sixer...averaging 19/3/4 with 1.3 steals on good, efficient shooting %'s and 12.7 FGA. This is with him still figuring things out.

Last season in Min he had a 24.9 USG rate and averaged 15.6 FGA (which was the 2nd most in his career).

I think as he learns this offense, gets situated and develops some chemistry with it and his teammates....its pretty easy to imagine Butler getting 3 more shots a game and more chances with the ball in his hands, resulting in a bump in USG.

I want more Butler just like everyone else, but I think people forget he just got here less then a week ago and has probably had very minimal actual practice time. Sure we brought him in to be a "star", but we also brought him in to help US win games, which he's doing. Embiid is still going to score and be a dominant force, and Ben is still going to have the ball in his hands, making plays and developing as well. Give it some time and I'm sure Butler will establish himself with this team.

That's all fine, but I guess I don't like to see Simmons with the ball in his hands all the time. I'm just forced to think about that quote where he was asked if he would play PF, and Simmons said no, I'm a PG, and that he'd have a talk with Brett if they placed him at PG.

Now I'm not saying make Butler the PG, but Simmons always has the ball in his hands, and is always the initiator. He is so athletic, that he could be suck a great roller. I do not understand why they aren't unlocking that part of his offense. He'll be way more efficient, will probably get to the FT line a lot more, and that will inherently boost his scoring average. The beauty of the PNR is that it serves both the ball handler and the roll/pop man. He could play the Blake Griffin role to perfection.

I'm also so sick of our DHO offense. It's for teams without ball handlers who can create their own shots. Now we have one of the best, and we still feature this vanilla offense. Not to mention Jo having to take 5 threes this game. Some of this is on Jo, but some of this is most definitely by design so Simmons can have some semblance of scoring in his boxscore.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#429 » by Kolkmania » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 am

eyeatoma wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:I really don't see the big deal. We have won 3 games and should have won all 4 since the Butler addition.

That's all fine, but I guess I don't like to see Simmons with the ball in his hands all the time. I'm just forced to think about that quote where he was asked if he would play PF, and Simmons said no, I'm a PG, and that he'd have a talk with Brett if they placed him at PG.

Now I'm not saying make Butler the PG, but Simmons always has the ball in his hands, and is always the initiator. He is so athletic, that he could be suck a great roller. I do not understand why they aren't unlocking that part of his offense. He'll be way more efficient, will probably get to the FT line a lot more, and that will inherently boost his scoring average. The beauty of the PNR is that it serves both the ball handler and the roll/pop man. He could play the Blake Griffin role to perfection.

I'm also so sick of our DHO offense. It's for teams without ball handlers who can create their own shots. Now we have one of the best, and we still feature this vanilla offense. Not to mention Jo having to take 5 threes this game. Some of this is on Jo, but some of this is most definitely by design so Simmons can have some semblance of scoring in his boxscore.

Also plenty of quotes that Simmons doesn't care about positions and that he's "just a basketball player". It's been literally a week before Butler joined the team and they have already played 4 games. People do not seem to understand how little time there's available for practice.

Brett Brown is not going to abandon his DHO motion offense btw. He wants an offensive system in which he can plug players in without much trouble. Butler is still the only capable P&R player, he'll get his own sets but not an entire system around him.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#430 » by marcush » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 am

I’d like to see more Butler in the offence but I don’t know why you would panic about it. We were happy to punt multiple seasons but can’t give coach a few weeks to integrate the offence. Lol.
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#431 » by nrok10307 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:17 pm

eyeatoma wrote:If this doesn't tell you that Jimmy is being underutilized nothign will. He has a usage of 17 in this game, and of 20 the last game. Embiid has been in the high 30s and Simmons in the mid to high 20s.

It's hard to slot someone into a motion offense and have them be high usage instantly. Jimmy's never really played in a Spurs/Warriors style offense before. If the Sixers were playing mostly PnR, then it would be simple: "Give Jimmy the ball and run a 3-5 PnR"

I'm actually impressed that Jimmy is playing within the flow of the offense --- means that he isn't trying to make this "his" team and blow up the team playstyle and chemistry just to get his pointz. He's basically playing in a Roco role on steroids for most of the game with a few wrinkles here and there.

Gotta give Brett and the coaching staff time to practice with the team and incorporate new sets before we make any rash judgements. Have they even had a real practice yet?
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#432 » by VDT » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:38 pm

I think people have an idealized version of Butler in their minds whom they compare with what they see on the floor the last week.

Butler once in his career scored 24 points on average. All his other star years he was scoring in the low 20s. And that was with mediocre teams where he was expected to carry more of the scoring load than he is now.

Butler is a hard worker who has steadily improved his game but he doesnt have the talent that would allow him to score at high 20s in an efficient way. He is a complimentary piece and not the main piece in a contender and imo not a superstar. Scoring around 20 with some playmaking and some good defense is what we should expect from him imo.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#433 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Hard worker with limited talent is much more enjoyable than uber talented that coasts on talent. So Butler is very likeable.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#434 » by Eyeamok » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm

phillynative wrote:I wanna know how brett feels about that windmill fail lol

Did you anyone see the look that Ben gave Embiid after the missed windmill. It was a classic undercover WTF was that look. :lol:
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#435 » by rzzzzz » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:15 pm

I'll feel a lot better once (if?) Brett has a more productive scheme than sticking Jimmy in the corner. Along with a few more adjustments. I liked the long conversation/demonstration Webber, Thomas, and McHale had at halftime about our pgs needing to deliver the rock down low, where Biid is calling for it, instead of making him come out, away from the rim, to fetch entry passes.
gioporel
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#436 » by gioporel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:24 pm

It's so frustrating to think how this team could play and to see how the coach waste these players.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Post#437 » by Tony Franciosa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Embiid is becoming unguardable. I love it.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#438 » by VDT » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:35 pm

rzzzzz wrote:I'll feel a lot better once (if?) Brett has a more productive scheme than sticking Jimmy in the corner. Along with a few more adjustments. I liked the long conversation/demonstration Webber, Thomas, and McHale had at halftime about our pgs needing to deliver the rock down low, where Biid is calling for it, instead of making him come out, away from the rim, to fetch entry passes.

It is not so simple. If Embiid is in the paint and Butler has the ball what is Simmons/Fultz supposed to do? They literally cant play off the ball because then it would be 4 vs 5. It is hard to fit 3 players that need the ball in their hands when noone is a good 3 point shooter and one of them doesnt shoot at all.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Post#439 » by Tony Franciosa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:38 pm

We are 12-7 with a real tough schedule to start the year and without having figured out much of our team and a major upheaval having just happened with the Butler trade. I fear for the rest of the East when we this thing comes together.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#440 » by rzzzzz » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:48 pm

VDT wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:
It is not so simple. If Embiid is in the paint and Butler has the ball what is Simmons/Fultz supposed to do? They literally cant play off the ball because then it would be 4 vs 5. It is hard to fit 3 players that need the ball in their hands when noone is a good 3 point shooter and one of them doesnt shoot at all.

Remember when Brett was emphasizing moving the ball,around last season? That's primitive, but it's a start. obviously, setting any PnR opportunities for Jimmy, with Biid or Ben, or anybody really, increases utilization and efficiency geometrically. And Chris, Isiah and Kevin were emphatic, spending the whole dang halftime demonstrating the importance of getting the ball thrown straight to Biid down low to whichever side keeps the defender at his back. I mean at least two of those guys know of what theyre saying.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers