We Have a Brett Problem

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Re: We Have a Brett Problem 

Post#21 » by the_process » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:56 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Brett's biggest problem is that he's completely exceeded everyone's expectations by winning more games than any other team in the NBA since Christmas of last year and now people expect him to win every game.

I'll go a bit further, his biggest problem is nobody expects him to win when it matters

Agreed, this is a large part of it. The Sixers haven't beaten anyone this season except TOR with half a roster once. They have the top end talent to beat about 20 teams just by showing up. But it's the other 9 you have to get through to win a title.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#22 » by Jhawk03 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:26 am

the_process wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Brett's biggest problem is that he's completely exceeded everyone's expectations by winning more games than any other team in the NBA since Christmas of last year and now people expect him to win every game.

I'll go a bit further, his biggest problem is nobody expects him to win when it matters

Agreed, this is a large part of it. The Sixers haven't beaten anyone this season except TOR with half a roster once. They have the top end talent to beat about 20 teams just by showing up. But it's the other 9 you have to get through to win a title.

Sixercan, I feel you dawg. I've been around since Iverson, and been a fan since the days of Sir Charles. I've said many times I don't want Brett gone, but how do you keep the naysers and the media away from pushing the narrative?

At the end of the day I know that the days of Eddie Jordan, and AI with Iggy or AI2, and Andrew Bynum, those things brought us something called the process. The biggest problem with Hinke (the archetic of the process) was his interaction, or lack thereof with the media and subsequently fans. The way Hinke dealt with the media is no surprise to me now that you see what can happen if you don't set boundaries. My problem isn't with Brett at all, it's with what the media but more what the fans expect. We hired (due to Hinke being unpopular with a tanking method because and the effect it has on the NBA, Adam Silver) and then fired Colangelo for crying out loud, I mean as a franchise who does that? But I digress, I want what's best for the franchise.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#23 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:41 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
the_process wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:

Sixercan, I feel you dawg. I've been around since Iverson, and been a fan since the days of Sir Charles. I've said many times I don't want Brett gone, but how do you keep the naysers and the media away from pushing the narrative?

At the end of the day I know that the days of Eddie Jordan, and AI with Iggy or AI2, and Andrew Bynum, those things brought us something called the process. The biggest problem with Hinke (the archetic of the process) was his interaction, or lack thereof with the media and subsequently fans. The way Hinke dealt with the media is no surprise to me now that you see what can happen if you don't set boundaries. My problem isn't with Brett at all, it's with what the media but more what the fans expect. We hired (due to Hinke being unpopular with a tanking method because and the effect it has on the NBA, Adam Silver) and then fired Colangelo for crying out loud, I mean as a franchise who does that? But I digress, I want what's best for the franchise.

By winning in the playoffs?

Losing a few regular season games on the road isn't a big deal. just like how having an excellent record for over a year doesn't matter to some. The first 6 months are prologue in terms of figuring things out. If some people don't get that, nbd.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#24 » by Tomjas » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:59 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:
the_process wrote:

Losing a few regular season games on the road isn't a big deal. just like how having an excellent record for over a year doesn't matter to some. The first 6 months are prologue in terms of figuring things out. If some people don't get that, nbd.

Check out our remaining schedule

We’re an injury to a key player away from being lucky to go .500 for the rest of the RS
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#25 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:02 am

Tomjas wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:

We’re an injury to a key player away from being lucky to go .500 for the rest of the RS

And I'm sure if we go better than .500 you will be the first to sing Brown's praises.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Post#26 » by the_process » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:11 am

In case this wasn't obvious from the prior post... if you can't beat any contenders in the regular season, you're certainly not beating them in the playoffs.
Luvthegame64
Ballboy
And1: 82

Post#27 » by Luvthegame64 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:17 am

FMD. You've got a coach, who in his first year with a team that was serious about competing, took them to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Halfway through his next year, he has the team sitting 4th in the conference, 3 games behind top spot. All this despite having the 2 highest picks in the previous drafts being inactive, and no quality on the bench.

The problem isn't Brett Brown. The problem is the alpha males on the team (Butler and Embiid) wanting the limelight. Butler walks in and spruiks about being all about winning. When the teams winning, and he's not the main man, he's not happy. And Embiid is no more clutch than Simmons.

I'm all for players having a voice about gameplans, but you do it one-on-one with the coach behind closed doors. If it gets leaked, you know who the cancer is.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#28 » by Tomjas » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:31 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

And I'm sure if we go better than .500 you will be the first to sing Brown's praises.

B.B. has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know

I look at him in exactly the same way as I look at Joel & Ben - they’re all learning how to win at NBA level and there’s some growing pains

Time will tell whether they figure it out

My only beef with the Sixers this year is the lack of depth and if that’s not rectified AND they go out in the first round then Brown should cop some heat

Fwiw, if I owned the Sixers, I would have thrown Fort Knox at Pop the moment I knew what we had in Joel & Ben
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,907

Post#29 » by Wilfried » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:40 am

Tomjas wrote:

Could be, but I would blame that a lot more on our complete lack of depth and supporting cast than at our coach at the moment.

Or do you know a lot of coaches that make a title contender when, besides your top 4 players (including Reddick as a top player fwiw), you go with Wilson Chandler/Korkmaz/Shamet/Muscala/Bolden/Milton/McConnell/Amir/...

I mean, none of those players has their place on a championship calibre team. But we have to play most of them 20+ minutes.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#30 » by Jams60 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 10:00 am

B.B. has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know [/quote]

Tomjas you need to leave. This thread is only for those who have an encyclopaedic knowledge of basketball and have coached countless teams to perfect records.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#31 » by Snotbubbles » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:44 pm

Jams60 wrote:
Tomjas you need to leave. This thread is only for those who have an encyclopaedic knowledge of basketball and have coached countless teams to perfect records.

Please stay. It would be boring talking to myself in here.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#32 » by Stribor » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:48 pm

I don't know. We were in a perfect position 2 years ago, and then we started all the win now moves, and I am afraid we will finish in mediocrity. One thing no one mentions here is mental coaching. Having a bunch of overpaid kids, everyone of them being spoon fed how they are the best and brightest star of the future, seems very hard. For now I would say that BB made a good job last year. This year is heavier. You have new "wanna-be" alpha in a squad, two alphas that do not fit perfectly together and fans with really really overblown expectations. Given that I think BB actually seems to do a good job and I would be really afraid to change him for someone just because we are not going to win the title this year (which we want).

People were so patient during process years and now we will all fup in a rush ...
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,792

Post#33 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:57 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:What role is Joel complaining about? It certainly can’t be about touches, right?

When he was complaining about being a spacer. Well, why is Brett encouraging Jojo to jack up 3's and talking about how Jojo needs to be shooting 6 3PFG per? Because Ben doesn't/can't shoot.

Thats like when LeBron said he was jealous that Durant was allowed to take 30 shots when LeBron was on the Heat and Durant responded that he’s pretty sure “LeBron can do whatever he wants.” Embiid is not limited in what he’s allowed to do on offense. I think he has the most touches in the post of anyone in the league. Him being on the perimeter too much is a fallacy at this point.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#34 » by VDT » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:14 pm

Black Mage wrote:As some will recall, I have been a big Brett Brown supporter throughout the entire process and the past two years. However, I have seen enough this year to come to one conclusion. Brett's preferred offensive scheme of "free flowing" offense is a 4th quarter failure and might be a playoff killer to boot.

Brett has stated repeatedly over the years that he does not like to call plays. He wants his players to run the offense freely and to know by instinct where to be, how to move and get open. That's great for run of the mill first three quarters of a regular season game. However, I think what we have seen is that type of offense fades quickly when defenses tighten up and defenders start to key in on our guys. This is even more true in the playoffs when teams focus solely on stopping you.We don't have ideal guys to run that offense when we have one or two non-shooters on the floor. Those dribble hand offs to JJ start to fail as refs swallow whistles and grabbing gets a bit more freedom. Plus, with TJ or Simmons there's one and sometimes two free defenders to help bottle up our other offensive weapons. This causes our guys to hesitate, tighten up, turn the ball over or just get lost trying to find that "free flow" Brett wants. I think Brett needs to stop being so stubborn and try calling plays for at least 75 to 80% of a 4th quarter and see if having structure with designed plays helps our guys execute better.

He also dislikes traditional offensive schemes such as Iso's and/or PnR. In fairness, he hasn't had a good enough ball handler with a respectable jump shot to try Iso plays at the arc. Moreover, for all of Ben's passing skills the only player he really played well with in PnR was Richaun Holmes. So for a few years I gave Brett a pass. However, he has Jimmy now and he is an excellent PnR player. Yet Brown rarely calls that play. He rarely calls a Butler Iso. He almost exclusively pairs Jimmy together with Ben in rotations and rarely has Jimmy and Embiid on the floor without Ben also in the picture. Would it kill Brown to give a 4 min run to just Jimmy and Embiid with Jimmy acting as the primary playmaker? In the playoffs they are going to need Jimmy and Embiid to be a 2 man game and right now those two barely get to play that way.

I still think Brett can be a good coach, but in order to do so he needs to stop being stubborn and bend on his offensive philosophies. Even Pop recognized that a Parker or Manu PnR or Iso was a good thing in the guts of a game. Yes, passing is great, but sometimes your guys need a set play using a traditional offense to get that bucket.

Do you agree or disagree?

I dont think the problem is Brown or the plays. If anything the team (and Brown) has overachieved the last years. There are only so many things he can do on the basketball court, if there was some highly efficient play, be it iso pnr or whatever, the players would have figured it out even without Brown.

The truth is that the Sixers have a lot of young, inexperienced and with holes in their game players, and they have no player to anchor the offense at the highest level. That is they dont have a player that you give him the ball and he will either score or create an open shot. Embiid is the closest but his game has still weaknesses and the roster is not built around a heavy post play as you need to surround him with willing and capable shooters. There is a reason championships are generally won by the top 10-15 GOAT players.

Still Brown has handled everything until now better than expected (in the tanking era and now) and the team has been overachieving the last two years, so maybe the best course of action atm, in the absence of any obvious trades or better coaches available, is just to be patient.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#35 » by BullyKing » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:22 pm

Stribor wrote:I don't know. We were in a perfect position 2 years ago, and then we started all the win now moves, and I am afraid we will finish in mediocrity.

Honest question, name all the teams you would trade situations with (players, picks). Warriors and Celtics? Bucks maybe? Is there anyone else even in the conversation?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#36 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:24 pm

Sixerscan wrote:The Sixers are 18-8 since the Jimmy Butler trade, which is a half game behind the best record in the NBA since that point, which is obviously completely unacceptable.

You all that joined the forum in 2017 are spoiled plain and simple. Go watch 82 games of Eddie Jordan and get back to me.

High Five!
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#37 » by BullyKing » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:27 pm

Sixerscan wrote:The Sixers are 18-8 since the Jimmy Butler trade, which is a half game behind the best record in the NBA since that point, which is obviously completely unacceptable.

You all that joined the forum in 2017 are spoiled plain and simple. Go watch 82 games of Eddie Jordan and get back to me.

Preach brother
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#38 » by Stribor » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:41 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Stribor wrote:I don't know. We were in a perfect position 2 years ago, and then we started all the win now moves, and I am afraid we will finish in mediocrity.

Honest question, name all the teams you would trade situations with (players, picks). Warriors and Celtics? Bucks maybe? Is there anyone else even in the conversation?

Well I would not change situation with Warriors as I am watching for the situation in the next decade and not at the moment. For the next decade people could actually get mad at me if I am all honest.

I think our upside is as good as any other team, in line with Bucks, Celtics, Raptors and possibly Lakers (not because they have a great situation but because they can always rely that some MVP caliber player would like to go to L.A.) .

Our downside (floor) looks much worst. So floor assumes Butler goes for nothing, Ben does not develop shoot or one of the Joel and Ben decides to go) + (I am not from Philly or from the states, so take this into account - it seems to me that players are not really happy to come to play in Philly, there are some more attractive destinations). With this said I think that Kings, and NY have much higher floors. Also Mavs, Suns, and Clippers could beat us in the floor department.

So crucially it is not just picks and team, but what seems to be attractiveness of the destination and fragility of the core.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#39 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:49 pm

Stribor wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Well I would not change situation with Warriors as I am watching for the situation in the next decade and not at the moment. For the next decade people could actually get mad at me if I am all honest.

I think our upside is as good as any other team, in line with Bucks, Celtics, Raptors and possibly Lakers (not because they have a great situation but because they can always rely that some MVP caliber player would like to go to L.A.) .

Our downside (floor) looks much worst. So floor assumes Butler goes for nothing, Ben does not develop shoot or one of the Joel and Ben decides to go) + (I am not from Philly or from the states, so take this into account - it seems to me that players are not really happy to come to play in Philly, there are some more attractive destinations). With this said I think that Kings, and NY have much higher floors. Also Mavs, Suns, and Clippers could beat us in the floor department.

So crucially it is not just picks and team, but what seems to be attractiveness of the destination and fragility of the core.

How is only our floor that every player on our team leaves? The Knicks don't even have a healthy good player on their roster at this point lol.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#40 » by BullyKing » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:49 pm

Stribor wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I don't know what to tell you if your anxiety is almost predominantly based on where the team happens to play since that's not likely to change. I'm not really sure how you figure teams like the Mavs or Suns have a higher floor but whatever. The point remains with your original comments "our upside is as good as any other team." I agree with that. Sure, nothing is guaranteed and there are downside risks as in any situation. So might as well sit back and enjoy the ride.
NYSixersFan wrote:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers