We Have a Brett Problem

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: We Have a Brett Problem 

Post#61 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote: Thibs had after his tantrum, and now it's Brett. See the pattern?

Wolves players probably didn't turn sour on Thibs because Jimmy left. Two nice complimentary players, and he still couldn't turn things around. just like i doubt we hire Thibs to replace Brett.

On the contrary. Thibs players turned sour BECAUSE of Butler.
JB came into town as an all star and wanted to be treated as a superstar. This was Towns team, and he came in said all the right things, but then acted as if the Wolves were his backup players. Thibs made adjustments to the WHOLE team just to get Jimmy the ball. Misused several players (Wiggins) and played stubborn rotations no matter what the other team did to adjust. Heavy minutes even during blow outs.
Perfect example was Sunday against the Lakers, up by about 20 points with just 3-4 mins left in the game, Walton empties his bench, but we still have starters in that have logged 30+ mins already. Towns takes a nasty fall near the end of the game when he should have been on the bench.
Point is, if Thibs replaces Brown, he WILL break your players. Look at what he did to Covinton already. Rose too.
GL going forward, but the foundation always crumbles around one person. Take a guess.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#62 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:54 pm

phifans wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
phifans wrote:
No wonder he has destroied your chemistry and show you "real JB" after you guys insulted him with that lowball offer last summer.

Lowball? That was the most we could offer at the time. He was told he would get paid summer of 2019, then he went nuts.
Again, 98% of us are happy he's gone. We got back two players that help not hurt the chemistry. Now that Thibs is gone, we will have a much happier team, and they play hard for a coach and teammates they trust. (See OKC game)
Butler undermined Hoiberg, destroyed any credit/HC career Thibs had after his tantrum, and now it's Brett. See the pattern?

I guess we will see. GL.

Stop these "the most we could offer" nonsense. Its not the excuse you could lowball to someone who just contributes to leads you guys back to po after so many years.

And I dont care if you guys are happy. Being happy means nothing. Brett Brown has been questioned numrous times this season by Joel and the whole core group still trying to find a way to complement to each other which doesnt stop them winning games so dont bother.

Both guys you got back are good role players but also will let you know why they can only be role player ultimately.

Anyway you guys should focus on finding out if Towns-Wiggins due is the real deal and make sure Fred Hoiberg wont be your next HC.

Well that's what the CBA said we could pay him. Doesn't matter to me.
Yeah we got back role players, and very good ones. Improves depth which is what we needed. We have scorers.
Fred isn't coming here to coach. Maybe GM at the end of the season just because Taylor love his country club members around.
But GL to your team, and we can revisit this thread in the summer.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#63 » by Wilfried » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:56 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote: Thibs had after his tantrum, and now it's Brett. See the pattern?

Wolves players probably didn't turn sour on Thibs because Jimmy left. Two nice complimentary players, and he still couldn't turn things around. just like i doubt we hire Thibs to replace Brett.

JB came into town as an all star and wanted to be treated as a superstar. This was Towns team, and he came in said all the right things, but then acted as if the Wolves were his backup players.

Towns need to do more than lift a team to 30 W's to claim a team.

Jimmy had all the right to see himself as the superstar on that team.
It would be stupid to deny he was probably the main reason they got to the play-offs for the first time since I don't know when.

But at the Sixers, he should realize that Embiid is the main guy and he already proved himself worthy of that status.

If he really can't adjust, he can move on.
Hawks and Suns have plenty of cap space this summer if he really wants to be the man.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Wilfried wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

JB came into town as an all star and wanted to be treated as a superstar. This was Towns team, and he came in said all the right things, but then acted as if the Wolves were his backup players.

Towns need to do more than lift a team to 30 W's to claim a team.

Jimmy had all the right to see himself as the superstar on that team.
It would be stupid to deny he was probably the main reason they got to the play-offs for the first time since I don't know when.

But at the Sixers, he should realize that Embiid is the main guy and he already proved himself worthy of that status.

If he really can't adjust, he can move on.
Hawks and Suns have plenty of cap space this summer if he really wants to be the man.

Jimmy thinks he has the right to everything. He's selfish. And he sees himself a superstar there too. But you know who's team it is.
And he "SHOULD." (I also think Towns was worthy of the status too.) FTR, Joel played 63 games last year and posted lower numbers than Towns 22/11 compared to 25/12 the year before Butler, so tell me again how Embiid is/was so much more worthy than Towns?

About Town and his 31 wins......

It was his second season, and first under Thibs...

I digress.....

His rookie season, we had the youngest roster in the NBA. LaVine and Wiggins were in their second year, and the roster consisted of an OLD KG, Shabazz, and players who most aren't even in the NBA anymore.

Then comes Thibs and changes everything around, we still have the same roster, with a reach at PG with Dunn. (LaVine only played 47 Games before Thibs broke him with heavy minutes.)
Towns is the star of the team putting up 25/12/3. (Isn't that proven?) So what gives Jimmy the right to think he is the man here instead of helping the players to higher levels?
How long did it take him in Chi to be half the player Towns was at 19?

Plus Butler was not the sole reason for us getting to the PO's, Rose, Gibson, Teague, hell even Crawford bailed us out some games. Thibs sold out for win now, and didn't look to the future. (He should have, where is he now?) So the roster got quite experienced quick and still almost didn't make it.

Thibs was his B*tch, and he treated JB as if he was the only way to win. And while we did BARELY make the PO with a win and in game, he certainly didn't show us he was worthy of being that star against the rockets. (He was coming back from injury, so most went with that.) Lets not talk about the heavy minutes Towns played and started ALL 82 games. (Three str8 years now)

So while you think Butler had every right to come in and take something from Towns, he didn't earn anything.
Now he's you problem. I hope you get Thibs too.
GL in the future.
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#65 » by KrazySixersD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:12 pm

no way we would take thibs here... none

but brett has to go
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#66 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
I digress......

No kidding. We don't mind a little outside commentary, but this filibuster probably wouldn't fly even on the Wolves site. ( The subject line is a clear give away what the topic at hand is. )
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 613

Post#67 » by brannigan73 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Lets not create fake crises with Jimmy. Jimmy likes to pop off from time to time and within reason he's earned it imo. What he did in Minnesota is not close at all to just popping off in a meeting when the coaching staff asked for feed back regarding the offense which is what happened here. I don't know where the Jimmy thinks he should be the man over Embiid nonsense is coming from. Jimmy has never had a usage rate close to what Embiid has right now so why would anyone think that Jimmy thinks he needs to get the ball more then Embiid? Wanting a coach to use your strengths correctly is not a negative.

As for Brown I have never thought he was a good x and o guy. He is a motivator/leader. That's where his strong points are. The players like him and play extremely hard for him. It's not a coincidence the Sixers have the worst 4th quarter offense in the NBA over the last year and a half. He still doesn't have quite enough really offensively skilled guys to run that Golden State esque style of offense when teams really clamp down in the fourth. I would recommend more Embiid Butler pairings without Simmons in the fourth for stretches and more pick and rolls. Slowing the pace a little bit with the lead would help as well. Brown has a hard time being flexible. Its just a fact.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#68 » by phifans » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 am

Kolkmania wrote:
It was literally the most the Wolves could offer as an extension offer. Sometimes it's just best to read the comment instead of getting defensive because someone from a different fanbase replied.

LoL are you serious ? The Wolves knows they could offer him much more this offseason yet they still decide to lowball Jimmy with that insulting deal which is almost 20% less than what Paul George got after his first season with OKC. And after Jimmy inevitably turned down that ridiculous offer and asked to leave they accused Jimmy of screwing everything up and claim he would do the same thing to us. Just go figure out their logics and agenda behind all these comments. :crazy:
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#69 » by Kolkmania » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:44 am

phifans wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
It was literally the most the Wolves could offer as an extension offer. Sometimes it's just best to read the comment instead of getting defensive because someone from a different fanbase replied.

LoL are you serious ? The Wolves knows they could offer him much more this offseason yet they still decide to lowball Jimmy with that insulting deal which is almost 20% less than what Paul George got after his first season with OKC. And after Jimmy inevitably turned down that ridiculous offer and asked to leave they accused Jimmy of screwing everything up and claim he would do the same thing to us. Just go figure out their logics and agenda behind all these comments. :crazy:

You don't understand. Due to CBA rules a franchise can only offer a certain amount before the contract expires, which is less than what they could have offered him this summer as a FA (like PG). Was it likely that Butler took that contract extension? No. However I understand them trying, one could also see it as a token of appreciation. Butler leaving the Wolves has nothing to do with that offer imo.

Of course there's some bitterness involved, however it's ignorant to dismiss it because of their hurt feelings. I bet that Thibs' stubberness played a big role in the whole affair, but part of it was on Butler as well.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#70 » by LloydFree » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:43 pm

phifans wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Butler didn't leave them because of that offer. That's all they could offer him. The problem is they acquired Jimmy Butler and promised to take care of him. But Jimmy is smart enough to know that they gave Andrew Wiggins his money. There was no way that owner was going to pay Wiggins 146m, Towns 175m, and Jimmy Butler 190m, to top out as a 50 win, 5 or 6 seed. If the Wolves hadn't given Wiggins that contract, Jimmy would still be sitting in Minnesota. He asked to be moved to teams he knows would have no problem giving him the max.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 243

Post#71 » by Samson » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:10 pm

mplsfonz23 is dead right correct and said a ton of absolutely correct things.

Butler made a fool of himself in Minnesota but no one wanted to talk about it at the time because of that whole spectacle practice-thing, where he was refusing to play, then comes into practice, supposedly 'picked the 4 worst players and beat the 5 starters hands-down' etc. Then everyone was all, "Jimmy Butler really is a superstar, poor guy just wants to win, Wiggins and KAT are bums, poor Jimmy Buckets!" --- We traded for him in what I consider to be a very favorable trade for us. I hated giving up RoCo & Dario because I believe they're probably better pieces for a long-haul championship team than just adding "A Third Star" (years ago, people wanted one star on their team.... and a running mate to compliment them, like Pippen to MJ. But then you needed TWO STARS, like Shaq & Kobe. And then teams like Boston/Miami/etc. decide you need THREE STARS , A Big Three, to win. Nowadays, you need 5 All-Stars with a first-round-pick 6th man like Golden State and LeBron wants to be considered the greatest player of All-Time, but wants every all-star in the league to come play with him because he's the best, but can't win alone, I mean REALLY NOW.)

--- So we add our Third Star in Jimmy Butler. I can dig that, I said exactly this at the time ... I hate to give up who we gave up, but it was absolutely the best deal we could make -- we wouldn't get ANY BETTER PLAYER for what we gave up, and we'd probably have to give up a lot more assets for a lot less return. Especially when it was stated, immediately after the trade, that the 76ers fully expected to resign Butler. So ostensibly we'd have at least 5 years of Joel Embiid, Jimmy Butler, and presumably Ben Simmons, with a pretty decent cast already assembled and the potential for more.

Jimmy Buckets comes in saying all the right things. All. The. Right. Things. He just wants to win! He's soooo misunderstood! It's not fair! He just wants to win and he plays so haaaaard and no-one works harder than him and he just wants to bleed with his brothers and leave it all on the battlefield of basketball! He just wants to win! And he knows how great Joel & Big Ben are and it's gravy baby! They've got it all smothered!

And less than two months later, he's basically bustin out the "I love my brothas but where mah buckets?!"

I am sorry to say to anyone who does not know this. First and foremost, this is Joel Embiid's team. He's a superstar, he's an All-Star starter, All-NBA 2nd/All-Defensive 2nd/All-Rookie player who fought for years to get on the floor, proved his superstar-status in short order, and has been supermax'ed. HOWEVER, it's ALSO Ben Simmon's team -- the #1 Overall Pick, Rookie of the Year, one of the fastest, most dynamic, talented players in the league who might rival Joel as the overall best combination of size, skill, and athleticism in the game. I do not know the dynamics of their relationship -- recently it has not looked great, to be honest, and I realize that ... I am not friends with them, unfortunately, as much as I'd enjoy hanging out with them and getting some wings, burgers, beers, and broads at TGI Fridays with them, they're not currently hanging out with me. So I have no idea how much they like or dislike each other but I firmly believe the 76ers are BOTH their team, and they're the foundation cornerstones of our team.

Butler is the 3rd Star, but it doesn't seem like he really wants to be the 3rd Star. I can't figure him out. He says all he wants is to win -- but all he also wants is every last penny of the supermax , people have said that -- but the way he acts, he seems like he'd rather go to some place like Brooklyn or Miami or wherever, take a max contract, and be the undisputed "Star" of the team, and hey, we have no one else, and we're losing, and Jimmy might be able to get them the 8th seed and 1st round playoff exits every year, but then he'll just complain, "Nobody on the team with me!".

It's a damn shame really. A team with a Happy & Healthy lineup boasting Big Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz ( throwing him in there on general principle, I haven't given up yet bro!), JJ Redick, Jimmy Butler, & Joel Embiid is a fearsome , fearsome lineup... throw in our team heart & soul TJ McConnell, our young shooting guards Landry & Kork, Zhaire Smith, etc. We have a real chance at sustained greatness.

But, in conclusion, I think that sometimes people need to say, "Is it everyone else? Or is it me?" I had a ton of problem with that in my youth, and my ego hurt me a lot. Thankfully I was humbled more than a few times, and I believe it made me a much better person. Hopefully that can prevail here.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#72 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Butler is the 2nd star, he is better than Simmons right now, we know Simmons is the most talented player in the league but unfortunately for him it is not all about talent.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#73 » by cool93 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:23 am

Yeah, I don't get why people call Simmons a star, let alone superstar. He is a TERRIBLE offensive player in half court.

Butler is clearly our 2nd best player.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#74 » by phifans » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 am

LloydFree wrote:
phifans wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Butler didn't leave them because of that offer. That's all they could offer him. The problem is they acquired Jimmy Butler and promised to take care of him. But Jimmy is smart enough to know that they gave Andrew Wiggins his money. There was no way that owner was going to pay Wiggins 146m, Towns 175m, and Jimmy Butler 190m, to top out as a 50 win, 5 or 6 seed. If the Wolves hadn't given Wiggins that contract, Jimmy would still be sitting in Minnesota. He asked to be moved to teams he knows would have no problem giving him the max.

I agree money is the main reason he ask to leave but is there any evidense showing he would ask for 5 years max contract ?

Teams try to make extension offer to guys with rookie contract. They barely do it to proven stars knowing they could easily get much more from anywhere once their contract expires a year later. Maybe Jimmy is more sensitive or this extension offer makes him realize he has no future with that team.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#75 » by kriss73 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:36 am

We don't a have a Brown Problem. We have a players problem.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:34 am

kriss73 wrote:We don't a have a Brown Problem. We have a players problem.

that's too bad. so much easier to swap a coach than swapping your top players.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#77 » by Kova » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am

rzzzzz wrote:
kriss73 wrote:We don't a have a Brown Problem. We have a players problem.

that's too bad. so much easier to swap a coach than swapping your top players.

We don't have top players problem, we have 4-12 players problem.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Kova wrote:We don't have top players problem, we have 4-12 players problem.

If our top 3-4 players were interacting comfortably in schemes that best enhanced their particular talents and athleticism, than the pitiful bench would be only a transitory issue. I mean we got all star to potential MVP level players who Sam envisioned attracting the necessary role players. If Brett could max Biid Ben and Butlers productivity (and get better at the in game adjustments), we may need another off season to retool the roster, but we're going to challenge for titles for a goodly long run. I hope that's how it turns out. But the onus on getting those 3 fully functional is on the coach, first and foremost.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#79 » by freshie2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm

How do you know what you can/should do before Fultz, Smith and Patton are on the floor and can be part of any deal? They are still dealing with a BC problem.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm

freshie2 wrote:How do you know what you can/should do before Fultz, Smith and Patton are on the floor and can be part of any deal? They are still dealing with a BC problem.

i'm sure hopeful that Brett is right about Smith coming back before the end of the season and providing much needed perimeter D. even a healthy, but inconsistent Fultz would be a welcome addition. Patton sounds great if his lower extremities ever heal.

but right now we got real talent on the court that is still struggling with their current roles. BC offers no hinderance to fixing that right now.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers