Hawks vs Sixers 1/11 @ 7pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,794

Re: Hawks vs Sixers 1/11 @ 7pm EST 

Post#281 » by michaelm » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 am

nurseryc wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:If Embiid is injured we are not going to even make playoffs.

Maybe it is better to stand pat at free agency and build a deeper team in 2019 free agency. This year it will be bucks vs Warriors.

Not true. Have you forgotten what happened last season when Embiid went down for a long time and then Simmons took control and then took the team on the league best crazy win streak where we were defeating everyone? We all forget to easily

Mostly against sub .500 teams. They are not beating elite teams with a PG with no jump shot, unless they put highly elite shooters next to him. Klay Thompson would just about do.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,111

Post#282 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

nurseryc wrote:

Maybe it is better to stand pat at free agency and build a deeper team in 2019 free agency. This year it will be bucks vs Warriors.

Not true. Have you forgotten what happened last season when Embiid went down for a long time and then Simmons took control and then took the team on the league best crazy win streak where we were defeating everyone? We all forget to easily

Yeah that team had a bunch of shooters and much better defense. We also had a cake schedule.

Nice try though.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#283 » by nurseryc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

michaelm wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Mostly against sub .500 teams. They are not beating elite teams with a PG with no jump shot, unless they put highly elite shooters next to him. Klay Thompson would just about do.

Let’s get a list of all the teams we beat during the incredible streak?

Also, are u seriously unable to see that Simmons has been taking and making jump shots each of the last 7 of 8 games or so? Give credit where it is due. That’s a huge shift for Simmons and unchartered territory for him. You've got to hand it to him that it’s starting to become part of his game. Many here including yourself are needing to eat humble pie as you never would have thought just a few weeks back that Simmons would add the jumper to his game so soon based on what we’d seen, let alone making jumpers too. It’s a very pleasant surprise which will only benefit the team and make us better long term. He is now actively trying to make jump shots each game. You can’t possibly be expecting him to be taking 3s as yet but I can guarantee you at some point that he will also add the 3 to his game. The corner three will be very very soon. It’s extremely exciting to think just how crazy good the Sixers will be when this happens. That’s what ‘The Process’ is all about....
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,794

Post#284 » by michaelm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:00 am

nurseryc wrote:
michaelm wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Let’s get a list of all the teams we beat during the incredible streak?

Also, are u seriously unable to see that Simmons has been taking and making jump shots each of the last 7 of 8 games or so? Give credit where it is due. That’s a huge shift for Simmons and unchartered territory for him. You've got to hand it to him that it’s starting to become part of his game. Many here including yourself are needing to eat humble pie as you never would have thought just a few weeks back that Simmons would add the jumper to his game so soon based on what we’d seen, let alone making jumpers too. It’s a very pleasant surprise which will only benefit the team and make us better long term. He is now actively trying to make jump shots each game. You can’t possibly be expecting him to be taking 3s as yet but I can guarantee you at some point that he will also add the 3 to his game. The corner three will be very very soon. It’s extremely exciting to think just how crazy good the Sixers will be when this happens. That’s what ‘The Process’ is all about....

I am a Simmons fan. If he could shoot midrange jumpers at league average and FTs at 70% he would be LeBron James except years younger and a better defender than LeBron is these days.

Unless and until he can though the team is unbalanced and it is a problem for Embiid whom I also admire. I don’t know how a guy who is so hugely talented and co-ordinated got this far without being able to shoot, particularly if he has always intended to be a guard.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#285 » by Jams60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Jams60 wrote:Speaking of Jimmy. Do we have an idea what was happening in that last time out? He did not seem happy, I wish I could lip read, and someone also suggested there was some eye rolling. The body language was not good. I assumed from his actions that Brett had called a play for Reddick, not him.

That doesn't make sense, because he immediately got the ball, and took it to the hole.

That’s what had me confused. What was he blowing up at? I’ll guess we’ll never know.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#286 » by King Ken » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm

I love Jimmy and think he is one of the best SGs in the NBA but do you think Klay would be a better fit next to Simmons and Embiid than Buckets?
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#287 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:38 pm

King Ken wrote:I love Jimmy and think he is one of the best SGs in the NBA but do you think Klay would be a better fit next to Simmons and Embiid than Buckets?

Butler has to shoot more threes, since the Portland game he has made just 2 threes our of 9 attempts in 6 games. His theoretical shot creation in half court settings is one of our most desperate needs, but if he refuses to shoot from distance then his value plummets.

Klay is definitely a better fit as a volume shooter, but I think Butler has proven to be the better player overall. So It depends whether Butler is willing to adjust his game in order to maximize his value for the team or if he's too stubborn and egocentric.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#288 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Yeah, with Klay we’d have the same issues we had before trading for Butler. We’d still need a player able to create their own half court offense.

Butler is who we need starting, we just need more spacing at PF - Marcus Morris would be amazing. I wouldn’t mind slightly overpaying to get him away from Boston, because he’s who they use to primarily slow down Simmons as well. If not him than possibly Aminu?
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Post#289 » by Mik317 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Klay would be super JJ who plays defense...that is exactly what we need.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#290 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:22 pm

A JJ/Klay/Butler/Simmons/Embiid lineup would be awesome.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#291 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Mik317 wrote:Klay would be super JJ who plays defense...that is exactly what we need.

He'd be preferable if we'd just be supplanting JJ for him, then yeah, I'd agree. If it's him or Butler then it's trickier. Klay is a pseudo-star, imo, he has a reputation past it's time and I'm worried about how he would do away from the Warriors; I don't believe he has the skills to be one of those players that would expand their production in a more pronounced role or in a different system. He hasn't played that level of defense for a few seasons. He's noticeably worse than Butler is defending, and while he's better than JJ, expecting him to hold his own is probably expecting too much at this point in his career. Also, this is the worst shooting season he's ever had, JJ is shooting better than him in an actual expanded role - scoring about 3 points less, with 5% better TS. That's weird.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#292 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:02 pm

King Ken wrote:I love Jimmy and think he is one of the best SGs in the NBA but do you think Klay would be a better fit next to Simmons and Embiid than Buckets?

“It was either, ‘We’re going to build the team around me for a little bit and allow me to distribute the basketball, iso in pick and roll. Or you go with Fred (Hoiberg) – go up and down, shoot a lot of threes, that type of stuff. That spread type – kind of Golden State-esque, you know what I mean? They went that route, and that’s all I’m saying, and that’s fine,” Butler told USA Today after he arrived in Minnesota.

For the team that we have and Brett Brown's philosophy, yes, Klay would be a better fit.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#293 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Skeptical about for the team that we currently have, but possibly for the team we could have, eventually.

Also, am I the only one worried about player's motivations after being one of the pillars of a dynasty and winning multiple Championships with the team that drafted them? Perhaps if Klay ever spoke up about his legacy or wanting to be the man, but he seems content to me. Idk.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#294 » by gdog2004 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 pm

The real person to sell the farm for is Leonard. But I am not sure if he can be pried away from Toronto.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,815

Post#295 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Skeptical about for the team that we currently have, but possibly for the team we could have, eventually.

Also, am I the only one worried about player's motivations after being one of the pillars of a dynasty and winning multiple Championships with the team that drafted them? Perhaps if Klay ever spoke up about his legacy or wanting to be the man, but he seems content to me. Idk.

Klay is never going from California to Philly. Everyone needs to be real here.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers