ImageImageImage

Thunders vs Sixers 1/19 @ 3:30pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: Thunders vs Sixers 1/19 @ 3:30pm EST 

Post#421 » by Kolkmania » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Really, really fun game. Bummed that we didn't get the W but I was on the edge of my seat the entire game.

I'm starting to get a little bit worried about Butler. The numbers are quite similar compared to his career averages, the advanced stats like him equally, but nevertheless he's been a bit underwhelming to me thus far.
He really struggles to create space in ISO, P&R and DHO actions and defenders don't seem to be bothered by him that much. Perhaps the numbers prove otherwise, but it feels like they shoot over him.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,738

Post#422 » by phillynative » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:11 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:Yeah. Kind of sad Ben is unplayable when we need a 3

That maybe true but in regards to that last play in this game we only needed 2 points to tie the game. Ben handed the ball off to Butler and stood right next to him like a pu**y. Yes Butler is the clutch closer but once Ben's man doubled him Ben should of slipped to the hoop there was enough time. It's obvious Ben didn't want anything to do with getting fouled or putting up a shot that's right under the basket.

Simmons is 4-7 this season on 'clutch' shots within the final minute of games. To put that into context in regards to attempts and willingness to take them; Embiid 4-11, Butler 5-8. Redick 4-9.

Expecting Ben to slip there and anything differently happening besides Butler taking that contested shot is unrealistic, to put politely. Butler -who most were complaining about not taking the final shot a few games ago- wasn't going to pass out of the double team with 1.8 seconds left. Besides it being completely uncharacteristic of him to do that, he also would have had to avoid the four flailing arms around him. If by some miracle he was able to, Grant was standing in the paint with Schroeder on his way through while trailing JJ, they're not going to freeze in their places and allow Ben to simply run in for the lay-up. It would have likely been just as tough for Ben to get a clean shot off with noticeably less time, having to avoid Schroeder, as well as putting it over a great shot blocker in Grant, and for what would have been just to tie the game. If we're doing this, then after Butler got that steal he should have pulled it out for the final shot instead of taking the simple two points.

Bringing up our big 4 stats in the clutch kind of proves my point Ben is a good finisher in the paint. The closer to the basket the easier the shot. We were only down 2 and he had a lane to the basket after passing it off to Butler.
Ben made it a 4 on 5 situation when he stood right next to Butler after the hand-off. Grant being under the basket against a Ben slash is not as tough as Butler taking a long shot against two long defenders let's be practical here.

I wouldn't have mind going to overtime with a tired Embiid, Ben and a Butler who just got hot against PG and no Westbrook at home.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#423 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Say the pass takes a third to half a second to get to him, the earliest I can tell Butler having a lane is after his pump-fake, then without it getting tipped or taken, Simmons would have gotten the ball and possibly have had enough time to immediately go up - with Schroeder in the area and against Grant at the rim. Butler got a look for the win, it was a tough shot, but still had full motion and the distance to hit rim, it clanked off. Happens.

The play itself should have been better, hopefully they learn from this and allow Butler to just run and pull up. Would have taken less time to get the shot off and would have given Simmons a chance to put-back. Kid had 6 offensive rebounds.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#424 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I didn’t realize how much I wanted a Sixers vs Thunder finals until this game. Likely will never happen, but the storyline would be a lot of fun.
Totally agree, but as you said... it'll likely never happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,517

Post#425 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:21 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#426 » by Kova » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 am

That was a moving screen by Adams on George 4pt play. Dude took 3 steps sideways to bodycheck Butler with a hip.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers