ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#241 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Tobias had Doc Rivers as a coach and played with Lou Will and Danilo. A great coach and 2 other scorers that spaced off the ball for him.

Then he comes here to play for Brett Brown and plays with Ben Simmons and Jimmy Butler. A relatively amateur coach and 2 dudes who can't and won't space off the ball for him.

I'm sure the pure basketball experience here wasn't super fun for him compared to what he had in L.A.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#242 » by rzzzzz » Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Tobias had Doc Rivers as a coach and played with Lou Will and Danilo. A great coach and 2 other scorers that spaced off the ball for him.

Then he comes here to play for Brett Brown and plays with Ben Simmons and Jimmy Butler. A relatively amateur coach and 2 dudes who can't and won't space off the ball for him.

I'm sure the pure basketball experience here wasn't super fun for him compared to what he had in L.A.

He also had the ball delivered to him where he likes it. for all that, I think he would stay if he got any sense that next season the offensive scheme will be more accommodating.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#243 » by BullyKing » Wed May 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Tobias had Doc Rivers as a coach and played with Lou Will and Danilo. A great coach and 2 other scorers that spaced off the ball for him.

It's certainly possible Harris feels that way but it's also possible that you're projecting your feelings onto him. It's no different than any other field of work in that different people assess differing importance to various factors in elevating satisfaction with their job situation.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#244 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 pm

I don't think he'll turn down a 5 year deal with us for a 4 year deal in Denver or Utah, but I don't doubt that those basketball situations are probably more appealing to him.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,737

Post#245 » by phillynative » Wed May 15, 2019 5:00 pm

I'm wondering if he can still add to his game. Improve his ball handling, work on his quickness and defense?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#246 » by PhilasFinest » Thu May 16, 2019 1:27 am

phillynative wrote:I'm wondering if he can still add to his game. Improve his ball handling, work on his quickness and defense?

I think he can add wrinkles to his game:
Improve his shot more (which has already improved)
Develop a go to move maybe in the post?
Improve ball handling, 1 v 1 move(s)

I don’t think I see him getting “quicker”. Maybe he buys into playing a little more D and grasps the system....but doubt he becomes a much better defender either.

I’m Leary of maxing him...but I understand it. The Raptors series didn’t show me a max level scorer imo...but I suppose he can grow into the system with more time.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#247 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 16, 2019 1:55 am

He was great isolating and creating off the dribble in Los Angeles.

He didn't get those same opportunities here. Look at the percentage of his field goals he was assisted on once he got here. We marginalized him as a scorer.

We need to clear out one of Butler/Simmons to get Tobias to start flashing his pseudo star ability more frequently.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#248 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 am

Clippers: assisted on 34% of his buckets
Sixers: assisted on 51% of his buckets

His shotcreating abilities didn't disappear when he flew out to the East coast. There's just too many cooks in the kitchen and he was forced to take a backseat and reduce his role.

Make no mistake, Tobias Harris is the only 3-level scorer on our roster and best offensive player on the ball that we have. It was a real mistake to prioritize Jimmy and Ben over him.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#249 » by BullyKing » Thu May 16, 2019 2:02 am

Kobblehead wrote:Clippers: assisted on 34% of his buckets
Sixers: assisted on 51% of his buckets

His shotcreating abilities didn't disappear when he flew out to the East coast. There's just too many cooks in the kitchen and he was forced to take a backseat and reduce his role.

Make no mistake, Tobias Harris is the only 3-level scorer on our roster and best offensive player on the ball that we have. It was a real mistake to prioritize Jimmy and Ben over him.

But you're presuming he cares. What's the evidence that he's willing to take less money elsewhere so that he can create his own shots instead of being more of a catch and shoot option here?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#250 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 am

I'm replying to the people wondering if he can improve on his handles. I'm just saying he already has all those skills in his repertoire.

I think he'll justify being a max player for us when we utilize him like a star.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#251 » by BullyKing » Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 am

Kobblehead wrote:I'm replying to the people wondering if he can improve on his handles. I'm just saying he already has all those skills in his repertoire.

I think he'll justify being a max player for us when we utilize him like a star.

Oh I agree with that. He didn't do it often but when he penetrated after a closeout he was typically successful. My main issue is that when he did have the ball in his hands he was just way to accommodating to his buddy Boban. Anytime there was a Tobi-Bobi PnR set, he would always just lob up it up to Boban regardless of if Boban was open (given his height).
NYSixersFan wrote:
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#252 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 am

Kobblehead wrote:He was great isolating and creating off the dribble in Los Angeles.

He didn't get those same opportunities here. Look at the percentage of his field goals he was assisted on once he got here. We marginalized him as a scorer.

We need to clear out one of Butler/Simmons to get Tobias to start flashing his pseudo star ability more frequently.

Regular season aside. Because we all know when Tobi got here, the league is playing mostly on garbage competition..

I realized this before G7 and was looking at our play-off numbers.. Butler and Biid were our top duos in +/-. The problem with our rotation was whenever we had to run a unit with Tobi on the floor and Biid off the floor.

During the Nets (G3 and G4) and Raps series (check G4) when Biid weren't 100%, we were actually looking for Tobias and trying to get him involved. If you can remember in G7, Butler took a step back in the first half and we were searching for offense from Biid and Tobi. Tobi even missed a good look from the right corner 3 that could have been a big shot.

Problem with Tobi is he's better off as a pressure release valve that would attack against the left over defense gives after having most of their top defensive guys on his teammates. He's more of a Klay Thompson than a Steph Curry. Jimmy and Biid have diverse ways of scoring over against 90+% of defenders in the league. Tobi? Maybe 70% at most. I don't think you can get efficient scoring from Tobi against guys like Kawhi, KD or even Siakam. And that's Ok, as long as he accepts his limitation and role.

The reason why we opted for Jimmy was because Jimmy is the only guy who's got the mismatch and has shown being able to attack that mismatch. Lowry was on Jimmy. Jimmy has been successful shooting over Lowry, bulldozing Danny Green or running the 1-5 PnR with Biid.

The problem with Jimmy was during the last few minutes of the G7 (he was spectacular in games prior), he turned his ankle and I felt he was much less aggressive and was settling. He run a couple of 1-5 PnR with Biid, he wasn't penetrating against Gasol and was forced to kick it to Embiid who was struggling all night.

And this is coming from a guy who also wants Tobias to stay with our team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,725

Post#253 » by AirP. » Thu May 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Read on Twitter
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#254 » by mksp » Thu May 16, 2019 6:08 pm

I'd welcome him back but he missed some big 4Q shots in this series.

Him and Pascal were the two guys I thought looked most shook.
MR28
Starter
And1: 1,553

Post#255 » by MR28 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:55 pm

I didn’t have the opinion that he looked shook at all, he may not have shot well, but he wasn’t hesitant imo.

Siakim on the other hand looked extremely hesitant, whether it was his calf or the fact Embiid was a capable defender I’m not sure.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#256 » by SixthStreet » Sun May 19, 2019 1:59 am

Does Tobi come without Bobi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
76ciology
RealGM

Post#257 » by 76ciology » Sun May 19, 2019 4:23 am

SixthStreet wrote:Does Tobi come without Bobi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, because Tobi gets a part of Bobi's contract. If you know, you know. *wink wink*
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#258 » by kriss73 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:58 am

Bobi Is going to Hollywood now.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
76ciology
RealGM

Post#259 » by 76ciology » Sun May 19, 2019 5:19 pm

AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Semi ot: i watched the John wick 3. Didnt like all 3 movies, maybe just not for me. Feels like im watching a theatre play more than watching a movie. Like a man’s version of Les Miserables
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#260 » by youngcrev » Sun May 19, 2019 7:56 pm

76ciology wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Semi ot: i watched the John wick 3. Didnt like all 3 movies, maybe just not for me. Feels like im watching a theatre play more than watching a movie. Like a man’s version of Les Miserables

Fool me once... What made you keep watching them?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers