Buyout Market

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Re: Buyout Market 

Post#481 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 pm

[quote="the_process"][quote="gdog2004"][quote="the_process"]

ATL two years in a row has not traded anyone and instead bought a bunch of guys out. While tanking.

And I don't see what that has to do with one team not caring about winning a trade. The goal of acquisitions is to maximize assets.[/quote]

Atlanta isn't trying to tank, they just suck.
Its not that Philly does not care about winning trade, their window is NOW. They needed a 4th start. Tobias is that star.
The Clippers could have easily walked away from the deal and continues their playoff push. They had/have the leverage which is why they got more value. Their time is NOT now. Get it ?[/quote]

Atlanta is definitely tanking, just doing so where the league can't yell at them. Also, Tobias is not a star.

And I disagree on leverage. The Clips want to go after bigger fish than Tobias. They weren't re-signing him, and they weren't walking away from an offer starting with two 1sts. The Clips wanted that deal as much or more as Philly wanted an excuse to let Jimmy walk.[/quote]

The Hawks burnt assets by buying guys out rather than trading them (assuming there were offers on the table).

As for leverage in the Clippers trade, holding onto Harris was absolutely an option for the Clippers, and we have no clue what other offers were on the table for him.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#482 » by gdog2004 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 pm

the_process wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:
the_process wrote:
ATL two years in a row has not traded anyone and instead bought a bunch of guys out. While tanking.

And I don't see what that has to do with one team not caring about winning a trade. The goal of acquisitions is to maximize assets.

Atlanta isn't trying to tank, they just suck.
Its not that Philly does not care about winning trade, their window is NOW. They needed a 4th start. Tobias is that star.
The Clippers could have easily walked away from the deal and continues their playoff push. They had/have the leverage which is why they got more value. Their time is NOT now. Get it ?

Atlanta is definitely tanking, just doing so where the league can't yell at them. Also, Tobias is not a star.

And I disagree on leverage. The Clips want to go after bigger fish than Tobias. They weren't re-signing him, and they weren't walking away from an offer starting with two 1sts. The Clips wanted that deal as much or more as Philly wanted an excuse to let Jimmy walk.

Define star. Look at his numbers for the season, and compare him to other guys on the all star team.
He is absolutely a star. He is not a top 10 player or anything, but that doesn't not make him a great player.
And on THIS team, he is most definitely a star and a crucial piece, more so than Butler.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#483 » by LloydFree » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:The issue is that we brought in so much volume during the trade deadline that Brett/Elton weren't able to identify clear roles in need of upgrade.

As fans, we could clearly see that Mike Scott, James Ennis and Jonathon Simmons probably weren't good enough to be rotation players for us this year. But Brett and Elton are so clouded and overwhelmed with all the new toys, they're less able to. And thus, less willing to be aggressive in the buyout market.

I don't know about that. I think they have tried to address the wing spot, and the right opportunities haven't presented themselves. Seems like they wanted Ross in the Orlando deal, but ended up having to settle for Simmons. They were connected to Mathews and Elllington in the buyout market, but those guys chose to go where they could get more guaranteed playing time. I'm guessing if another wing becomes available they'll go pretty hard after them too.

I do think they see Mike Scott as a rotational piece. Seems like with the wings they just tried to do what they could with the fallback of hoping someone emerges between Korkmaz, Simmons and Ennis.

Mike Scott would have been the 76ers 5th best player before the Tobias trade. I don't know how he's not a worthy rotation piece for this team. That's ridiculous.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#484 » by gdog2004 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 pm

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:The issue is that we brought in so much volume during the trade deadline that Brett/Elton weren't able to identify clear roles in need of upgrade.

As fans, we could clearly see that Mike Scott, James Ennis and Jonathon Simmons probably weren't good enough to be rotation players for us this year. But Brett and Elton are so clouded and overwhelmed with all the new toys, they're less able to. And thus, less willing to be aggressive in the buyout market.

I don't know about that. I think they have tried to address the wing spot, and the right opportunities haven't presented themselves. Seems like they wanted Ross in the Orlando deal, but ended up having to settle for Simmons. They were connected to Mathews and Elllington in the buyout market, but those guys chose to go where they could get more guaranteed playing time. I'm guessing if another wing becomes available they'll go pretty hard after them too.

I do think they see Mike Scott as a rotational piece. Seems like with the wings they just tried to do what they could with the fallback of hoping someone emerges between Korkmaz, Simmons and Ennis.

Mike Scott would have been the 76ers 5th best player before the Tobias trade. I don't know how he's not a worthy rotation piece for this team. That's ridiculous.

I don't know enough about Scott or his game. He hasn't been particularly impressive so far. Do you know more about him ?
As much as I like Boban, he seems like they will just give him the Okafor treatment when he is on defense and just pick and roll him to death or make him have to switch. He is a beast in close to the basket and just being a presence but he gets exposed way too easily. I would like to see Bolden eat into his minutes.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#485 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:09 pm

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Maybe. He's pretty much Wilson Chandler.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#486 » by Kobblehead » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 pm

Mike Scott has been a decent bench guy in the past but he is playing like crap this year. I'm not a believer that guys can flip the switch in-season and reach their peak form like that. I don't think we're getting a rotation-worthy version of Mike Scott over these next 30+games.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#487 » by LloydFree » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:24 pm

youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Has always been a better shooter, and unlike Chandler, he still has his athletic ability and can still move.

He's a better player than all 3 of the guys they traded in the deal. They were all in the rotation, so I don't know how someone concludes he isn't rotation worthy.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#488 » by Kobblehead » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:28 pm

Just because you're in a rotation, doesn't mean you're rotation worthy. It just means your team is shallow as hell and/or your coach overvalues you.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#489 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:34 pm

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Mike Scott would have been the 76ers 5th best player before the Tobias trade. I don't know how he's not a worthy rotation piece for this team. That's ridiculous.

Has always been a better shooter, and unlike Chandler, he still has his athletic ability and can still move.

He's a better player than all 3 of the guys they traded in the deal. They were all in the rotation, so I don't know how someone concludes he isn't rotation worthy.

Yeah, he's a fine backup, and more importantly, fits what we need out of the position.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#490 » by sixers hoops » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Mike Scott would have been the 76ers 5th best player before the Tobias trade. I don't know how he's not a worthy rotation piece for this team. That's ridiculous.

Yeah. Chandler athletically looks like a guy in his late 30’s. For the most part, he just looked really old. Mike Scott is a much better athlete.

I liked Chandler’s skillset, but he looked shot and really struggled with injuries.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#491 » by LloydFree » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 am

Kobblehead wrote:Just because you're in a rotation, doesn't mean you're rotation worthy. It just means your team is shallow as hell and/or your coach overvalues you.

There's a big difference in being an average or unexciting player and not being worthy of being in a NBA rotation. Demetrius Jackson and James Young are not worthy of being in an NBA rotation. Amir Johnson and Mike Muscala aren't worthy of being in a good NBA rotation. Mike Scott and Wilson Chandler are average, unexciting players, but they are worthy of being backups in a good rotation.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#492 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:01 am

LloydFree wrote:Mike Scott and Wilson Chandler are average, unexciting players, but they are worthy of being backups in a good rotation.

In the past, sure. Both players were worthy rotation pieces. Not in their current form. Wilson Chander is one of the least productive players in basketball this year. Mike Scott is also playing like crap ever since he left Atlanta/Washington.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#493 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:23 am

If you can defend reasonably well, have some level of switchability, and can make an open 3, you're a worthy rotation piece IMO. Guys like Scott and Chandler may not be very productive, but they have value in that they won't hurt you on the floor on either end.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#494 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:26 pm

If Sac doesn't re-sign Brewer after his 10 day expires I'd happily bring him back. He was more productive in his stint here than either Ennis or J Simmons has been.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#495 » by Chris76 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Mike Scott has been a decent bench guy in the past but he is playing like crap this year. I'm not a believer that guys can flip the switch in-season and reach their peak form like that. I don't think we're getting a rotation-worthy version of Mike Scott over these next 30+games.

Mike Scott is interesting if his shooting improves, however Bolden has been impressive in rebounding and rim protection.

Simmons
Butler
Harris
Bolden/Scott
Embiid

Redick as a 6th man helps to remove his weakness on defense.

Embiid can help on P-n-Rs the whole game would be huge lowering good shooters getting easy looks.

It's difficult benching Redick, his shooting has been great, but every team is attacking him.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#496 » by phillynative » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:30 pm

We need a Pat Beverly type
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#497 » by BB_Fan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:24 am

why don't we we waive or trade Amir. We don't really need five centers - Joel, Boban, Jonah, Patton and Amir.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#498 » by JazzUte88 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Yeah. Chandler athletically looks like a guy in his late 30’s. For the most part, he just looked really old. Mike Scott is a much better athlete.

I liked Chandler’s skillset, but he looked shot and really struggled with injuries.

Chandler looks shot and done (and his stats are pretty meh). Too many injuries I suppose because he's still 31.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#499 » by youngcrev » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm

BB_Fan wrote:why don't we we waive or trade Amir. We don't really need five centers - Joel, Boban, Jonah, Patton and Amir.

Because it's past the trade deadline. I'm sure he'd be a candidate to be waived if the Sixers found someone they want to sign
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#500 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:12 pm

youngcrev wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:why don't we we waive or trade Amir. We don't really need five centers - Joel, Boban, Jonah, Patton and Amir.

Because it's past the trade deadline. I'm sure he'd be a candidate to be waived if the Sixers found someone they want to sign

I'm sure he hasn't been waived because it's a locker room thing. I'd suspect they really don't want to cut him, but will be forced to, if a good PG becomes available

Return to Philadelphia 76ers