phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,761

Re: Buyout Market 

Post#541 » by phillynative » Sun Mar 3, 2019 12:27 am

BB_Fan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
He didn’t count on the buyout market. He wanted Boban, Scott, and Ennis in deals so he had bench guys locked in.

Buyout guys would have been icing, but Brand knew their was a possibility he would be going forward with Scott, Ennis, Boban, and TJ as his most likely bench contributors. If he felt desperate enough about the bench, he could’ve traded another late first/early second for vets. I think he was comfortable enough with our bench that he wasn’t willing to do that. I agree with him.

Go with the bench we have for now, and let Shake, Jonah, and Zhaire continue to develop. A buyout upgrade would’ve been great, but we knew the likelihood of adding a rotation piece wasn’t probable.

I don't think he "counted" on the buyout market at all. That's no way to GM. The buyout market is a 'hope and prayer'. The team got lucky last year, that's all.

I agree that he targeted Boban and Scott as throw-ins, because he could see he wasnt going to get guys like Dedmon and Mirotic for a reasonable price. I don't think they "targeted" James Ennis though. I believe Houston offered him to the 76ers, to get under the luxury tax and the 76ers accepted him because they thought he could be useful.

Elton brand says time is now but does not trade for players with second round picks - Rodney Hood, Reggie Bullock, Mirotic,wayne ellington and morris were available for second round picks . we have enough second round picks.

Most likely we will exit second round as we cannot defeat Celtics, Bucks or Raptors in a seven game seris. The three teams have better bench.

I agree.
If he wasn't counting on the buyout market that makes it worse. Bench is still ass with the players he acquired.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#542 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 3, 2019 1:48 am

phillynative wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I don't think he "counted" on the buyout market at all. That's no way to GM. The buyout market is a 'hope and prayer'. The team got lucky last year, that's all.

I agree that he targeted Boban and Scott as throw-ins, because he could see he wasnt going to get guys like Dedmon and Mirotic for a reasonable price. I don't think they "targeted" James Ennis though. I believe Houston offered him to the 76ers, to get under the luxury tax and the 76ers accepted him because they thought he could be useful.

Elton brand says time is now but does not trade for players with second round picks - Rodney Hood, Reggie Bullock, Mirotic,wayne ellington and morris were available for second round picks . we have enough second round picks.

Most likely we will exit second round as we cannot defeat Celtics, Bucks or Raptors in a seven game seris. The three teams have better bench.

I agree.
If he wasn't counting on the buyout market that makes it worse. Bench is still ass with the players he acquired.

The bench is below average, but we have an excellent starting 5. It takes time to rebuild a bench when you are trading your depth for stars.

A lot of people advocated trading 2nds for Markieff, Hood, Mathews, Lin, Ellington, Mirotic, etc...I would assume they would have traded mid-to-late seconds for one of those guys. It must have been more of an issue absorbing salary. The first 8 to 10 picks of the second round are pretty valuable. After that, I don’t see them overvaluing picks 40-60.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#543 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 3, 2019 1:56 am

BB_Fan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
He didn’t count on the buyout market. He wanted Boban, Scott, and Ennis in deals so he had bench guys locked in.

Buyout guys would have been icing, but Brand knew their was a possibility he would be going forward with Scott, Ennis, Boban, and TJ as his most likely bench contributors. If he felt desperate enough about the bench, he could’ve traded another late first/early second for vets. I think he was comfortable enough with our bench that he wasn’t willing to do that. I agree with him.

Go with the bench we have for now, and let Shake, Jonah, and Zhaire continue to develop. A buyout upgrade would’ve been great, but we knew the likelihood of adding a rotation piece wasn’t probable.

I don't think he "counted" on the buyout market at all. That's no way to GM. The buyout market is a 'hope and prayer'. The team got lucky last year, that's all.

Elton says they are ready to compete, but it doesn’t mean he is going to make shortsighted trades to give us a better chance of getting beyond the second round.

Could he have used Fultz’ salary to get us a better bench player? Probably, but that late first and early second we got is probably the smart decision when building something sustainable. If used wisely, they could provide valuable players on great contracts.

However, i do agree they could’ve likely gotten at least one rotational player that was ultimately bought out for the right price.
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#544 » by BB_Fan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:03 am

sixers hoops wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I don't think he "counted" on the buyout market at all. That's no way to GM. The buyout market is a 'hope and prayer'. The team got lucky last year, that's all.

Elton says they are ready to compete, but it doesn’t mean he is going to make shortsighted trades to give us a better chance of getting beyond the second round.

Could he have used Fultz’ salary to get us a better bench player? Probably, but that late first and early second we got is probably the smart decision when building something sustainable. If used wisely, they could provide valuable players on great contracts.

However, i do agree they could’ve likely gotten at least one rotational player that was ultimately bought out for the right price.

Elton Brand overpaid in Harris trade and then did a dumb trade fultz for OKC first round pick and 2019 second round pick. They should have traded fultz and Second round pick for Morris , Mathews or a more productive player.

In the Harris trade they should have traded their and Sac 2019 Second round pick or their 2019 FRP (swap). 2021 and 2023 detroit second round pick is valuable.

We will have 5 second round picks this year.
CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

Adding Smith and Bolden you have 8 Rookies and seven spots for existing players. Adding Joel, Ben, JJ, Butler, Harris,Bob and TJ makes our roster as 15 players and the team will not move beyond second round in 2020
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#545 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Mar 3, 2019 12:23 pm

BB_Fan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:

Elton Brand overpaid in Harris trade and then did a dumb trade fultz for OKC first round pick and 2019 second round pick. They should have traded fultz and Second round pick for Morris , Mathews or a more productive player.

In the Harris trade they should have traded their and Sac 2019 Second round pick or their 2019 FRP (swap). 2021 and 2023 detroit second round pick is valuable.

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

Adding Smith and Bolden you have 8 Rookies and seven spots for existing players. Adding Joel, Ben, JJ, Butler, Harris,Bob and TJ makes our roster as 15 players and the team will not move beyond second round in 2020

Lol yep, it's so easy being a gm on a message forum, isn't it? :lol: And I can only smh at anyone who suggests we "over paid" for Harris like he hasn't been an absolute sensation and Mike Scott/Boban weren't part of the deal too. But hey, who am I kidding? Forum gm's clearly could have got a better deal.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#546 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 3, 2019 2:21 pm

BB_Fan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

I like the Fultz for those two picks deal better. Over 5 years, that is smart decision making.

Morris or Mathews would’ve helped, and we would have a better chance of getting to the conference finals with one of those rentals. However, then they likely leave after the season and go to teams who offer starting roles.

Conversely, those two picks have the opportunity to contribute like Shamet, Bolden, Shake, etc for several years on great contracts.

I think Elton went the smart direction with the Fultz trade.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#547 » by Sixerscan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 2:31 pm

BB_Fan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

Seen you post something like this about 50 times, this isn't how trades work... for someone to make a trade the other team has to be interested. They tried to trade Fultz for Ross, the Magic said no. The Clippers wanted those Pistons picks ect. (The Clippers want to be players in free agency this summer so they didn't want picks this year)

And they don't have 5 2nd round picks, they don't have the Knicks 2nd...
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#548 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 3, 2019 4:09 pm

Shams reports Sixers and Warriors interested in Bogut. He just completed Australian league season and will take time to decide.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#549 » by BB_Fan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 5:57 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

Seen you post something like this about 50 times, this isn't how trades work... for someone to make a trade the other team has to be interested. They tried to trade Fultz for Ross, the Magic said no. The Clippers wanted those Pistons picks ect. (The Clippers want to be players in free agency this summer so they didn't want picks this year)

Agreed the other team has to be interested. It is negotiation and Elton Brand is not a good negotiator. They could have traded some of their second round picks to sign better players if the goal was to win now.

76ers have played all of their cards and do you think a big 4 of Embiid, Simmons, Butler, Harris will win eastern conference. If it is second round exit then the trade was dumb.They should have traded Second round picks for depth. The guard depth is no good and you carry five centers and looking to sign another (bogut). What is backup plan of PG if simmons gets hurt.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#550 » by sixerguy » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:23 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

So tell me how you feel about Brand's salesmen/negotiation ability? What GM do you feel is a good negotiator? What GM is poor? I'm no card player, I am horrible when it comes to negotiating salary for my job, but I know of others in my position getting paid more because they are good negotiators. I think what those who say he overpaid are saying Brand is not-weathered yet. Perhaps he's a good face of the franchise type, and maybe is a good leader, but just perhaps he could use some work on his poker plays, his bluffs.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#551 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:28 pm

BB_Fan wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

Agreed the other team has to be interested. It is negotiation and Elton Brand is not a good negotiator. They could have traded some of their second round picks to sign better players if the goal was to win now.

76ers have played all of their cards and do you think a big 4 of Embiid, Simmons, Butler, Harris will win eastern conference. If it is second round exit then the trade was dumb.They should have traded Second round picks for depth. The guard depth is no good and you carry five centers and looking to sign another (bogut). What is backup plan of PG if simmons gets hurt.

Why? The Warriors were and still are unbelievable favorites to win the championship. If we are the 2020, 2021, or 2022 champs with Butler and Tobias, was the trade still dumb?

Elton didn’t trade for 36 year old Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. He got players that he can build a contender around. He doesn’t have to beat the Warriors this year.

Would trading Fultz and a second for Wes Mathews helped us get passed the Bucks, Raptors, or Warriors? It would have helped.

However, who helps you get closer to winning a title over the next three or four years? Wesley Mathews for two months, then he likely goes to another team, like the Pacers, for a starting role? Or the late first and early second from Orlando who could be the next Shamet and Shake?

I’d take the picks. It’s not win this year or bust.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#552 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:35 pm

sixerguy wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

So tell me how you feel about Brand's salesmen/negotiation ability? What GM do you feel is a good negotiator? What GM is poor? I'm no card player, I am horrible when it comes to negotiating salary for my job, but I know of others in my position getting paid more because they are good negotiators. I think what those who say he overpaid are saying Brand is not-weathered yet. Perhaps he's a good face of the franchise type, and maybe is a good leader, but just perhaps he could use some work on his poker plays, his bluffs.

I thought Hinkie was a good negotiator. He brutalized teams. That was clearly his biggest strength.

Brand has really only negotiated two trades, so tough to evaluate.

Brand did well with the Butler negotiations. In October he would have reportedly had to give up a first and Zhaire for Butler as well. He smartly waited him out.

The Tobias trade. We gave up a lot, but it was worth it. He definitely didn’t get a steal. Clips got good value with Shamet, Heat pick, and our likely late first in 2020.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#553 » by Sixerscan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:56 pm

sixerguy wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

Hard to say, I do think people are overestimating the ability to just strongarm Jerry West into taking less than he asked for. It's different from a salary negotiation imo, you're (probably?) not getting fired if you ask for a higher salary. If Brand doesn't give West what he's asking for, then he's not getting Harris.

At the end of the day that was the price for those 3 guys, and they had to decide whether or not to do the trade based on the actual offer, not some hypothetical other offer, at a certain point it's no longer a negotiation and more of a valuation. Do you want those guys for that price or do you not? Was I surprised at the cost and do I wish they could have traded less? Of course, but Harris is also really good and I'm glad he's on the team.

I've generally been someone that's fine with overpaying for high end talent. Whether it's contracts or trades. That's how you win in this league, not by having the cleanest cap sheet or maximizing every asset you have. Not that that isn't important, of course it is, but it's important because it allows you to get the high end talent. It's not important in it of itself.

We'll see what happens with Boston, but they could easily be a warning of the downside of hoarding assets and being too worried about "winning" every trade.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#554 » by BB_Fan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:29 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Why? The Warriors were and still are unbelievable favorites to win the championship. If we are the 2020, 2021, or 2022 champs with Butler and Tobias, was the trade still dumb?

Elton didn’t trade for 36 year old Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. He got players that he can build a contender around. He doesn’t have to beat the Warriors this year.

Would trading Fultz and a second for Wes Mathews helped us get passed the Bucks, Raptors, or Warriors? It would have helped.

However, who helps you get closer to winning a title over the next three or four years? Wesley Mathews for two months, then he likely goes to another team, like the Pacers, for a starting role? Or the late first and early second from Orlando who could be the next Shamet and Shake?

The picks for Fultz are not good. 2019 Second round pick from Cleveland and 2020 lottery protected pick from OKC.
How many second rounds do you need in 2019 in a weak draft. Phi now has 4 SRP in 2019 in weak draft.
OKC First round pick is a late first rounder and will be rotation player most likely.

If you have traded for Morris or Mathews your team will be much better for playoffs. Given we will sign four players (Butler, Harris, TJ and Reddick) and with the salary cap constraints how are going to improve bench for 2019-2020 season. Morris or mathews come with bird rights and will make the bench better than two rotation players.

The team has no depth in PG and too many front court players. If Ben is hurt who is your starting guard - TJ?.
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 472

Post#555 » by Sixercise » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:00 pm

BB_Fan wrote:The picks for Fultz are not good. 2019 Second round pick from Cleveland and 2020 lottery protected pick from OKC.
How many second rounds do you need in 2019 in a weak draft. Phi now has 4 SRP in 2019 in weak draft.
OKC First round pick is a late first rounder and will be rotation player most likely.

If you have traded for Morris or Mathews your team will be much better for playoffs. [They] come with bird rights and will make the bench better than two rotation players.

Not to be confrontational, but what kind of better trade were you thinking of getting, considering that Fultz had negative value in most GMs' eyes? Forget the fact that he was drafted 1st 2 years ago, whatever value he had from draft night is now history because of all the BS that drained his value. At that point, Brand (or any other GM) would be smart to salvage any kind of value for a $10m cheerleader. And just for the record, a high 2nd round pick (low 30s) is always a good pick.

And to address your other point, Morris or Matthews would be wonderful in a perfect world....just to put it nicely.
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#556 » by BB_Fan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:03 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

CHI - Second Round
SAC - Second Round
KNICKS - SECOND ROUND
ORLANDO - SECOND ROUND
76ers - Seond round
76ers - first round

Harris is a steal for his cuurent deal of 14M but is he a great signing for 187 M ( 5 year max) that he will command in FA because 13 teams have cap space for a max contract.

Jerry west is seasoned and understood that he needs to sell high on Harris . Harris will get 145M (4 year) max offer in free agency and is not worth for that much money. Clippers are still contending for play offs without harris.

Elton Brand has purchased Harris at his ceiling. He will have to offer Harris max for him to stay. I feel Harris is not worth the 187M
max.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#557 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:08 pm

BB_Fan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:

The picks for Fultz are not good. 2019 Second round pick from Cleveland and 2020 lottery protected pick from OKC.

If you have traded for Morris or Mathews your team will be much better for playoffs. Given we will sign four players (Butler, Harris, TJ and Reddick) and with the salary cap constraints how are going to improve bench for 2019-2020 season. Morris or mathews come with bird rights and will make the bench better than two rotation players.

The team has no depth in PG and too many front court players. If Ben is hurt who is your starting guard - TJ?.

You keep referring to these late seconds that are likely draft stashes or won’t make the roster. I only care about the picks at the beginning of the second round where value is often found.

I suggesting repeatedly that they should’ve made a deal for Mathews before the deadline, so I would have been fine trading any of those mid-seconds for Mathews, Ross, or Morris, but I am not sure of the reasons they didn’t pursue those trades. I thought that was a mistake. Not really the Fultz trade.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#558 » by agiaco » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:13 pm

Bogut would be nice to add. We definitely could use another skilled big.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#559 » by BB_Fan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:21 pm

Sixercise wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:The picks for Fultz are not good. 2019 Second round pick from Cleveland and 2020 lottery protected pick from OKC.

If you have traded for Morris or Mathews your team will be much better for playoffs. [They] come with bird rights and will make the bench better than two rotation players.

Not to be confrontational, but what kind of better trade were you thinking of getting, considering that Fultz had negative value in most GMs' eyes? Forget the fact that he was drafted 1st 2 years ago, whatever value he had from draft night is now history because of all the BS that drained his value. At that point, Brand (or any other GM) would be smart to salvage any kind of value for a $10m cheerleader. And just for the record, a high 2nd round pick (low 30s) is always a good pick.

And to address your other point, Morris or Matthews would be wonderful in a perfect world....just to put it nicely.

You are using Fultz to match salaries for Morris or Mathews in the trade. The problem is lack of depth in guard position. If Ben Simmons gets injured who will play point guard.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#560 » by gdog2004 » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:36 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
sixerguy wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

I thought Hinkie was a good negotiator. He brutalized teams. That was clearly his biggest strength.

Brand has really only negotiated two trades, so tough to evaluate.

Brand did well with the Butler negotiations. In October he would have reportedly had to give up a first and Zhaire for Butler as well. He smartly waited him out.

The Tobias trade. We gave up a lot, but it was worth it. He definitely didn’t get a steal. Clips got good value with Shamet, Heat pick, and our likely late first in 2020.

I am a big Hinkie fan but he was playing with a different set of cards than Brand.
Hinkies position:
The team/owenership could care less about the present and for the most part were trying to lose games. They were willing to take on bad contracts and bad players in exchange for future assets. They were also willing to part with good players for future assets.
Under that scenario, you are going to win every trade.

Brands position:
The team/ownership wants you to win NOW. You have to cash in all your chips to try to convince pending FA's that Philly is serious about winning RIGHT NOW. As a result, you may have to overpay in order to get pieces that help RIGHT NOW and get rid of future assets.

So in short, it is hard to judge Brand or Hinkie for that matter as a negotiator because no one knows what the other would have done if they were playing with the same deck.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers