Magic being investigated for tampering

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Re: Magic being investigated for tampering 

Post#41 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:I don't get the whole tampering thing anyway. Players tamper all the time. Hell that's how the Golden State Warriors happened... with Steph, Klay and Draymond befriending KD on Team USA and continually planting in his mind about coming to Golden State. How is that not tampering. Or opponents working out in the off-season to try and recruit players to teams. It's all tampering that goes unpunished.

Agreed.

Plus how would it be policed? So if the Lakers have Rich Paul in their office to talk about his client Lebron, they can’t ask him about his other client Davis? Who is going to prevent that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the solutions would be just to disbar Rich Paul as an agent and not allow his clients to sign with any NBA team.

Here is the thing Silver is acting feckless so people think the commissioner has no power when the reality is much different. No other sport would put up with this.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,543

Post#42 » by SixthStreet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:29 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:One of the solutions would be just to disbar Rich Paul as an agent and not allow his clients to sign with any NBA team.

Here is the thing Silver is acting feckless so people think the commissioner has no power when the reality is much different. No other sport would put up with this.

I don't think that would be that helpful as it would be like cutting the head off the hydra. LeBron will find some other guy to start/pick up the agency. He clearly doesn't think rules apply to him and that's because he's largely been proven right by a toothless NBA.

It'll be nice when LeBron isn't among the NBA 10 best players as that should directly impact his influence around the league. But it seems like his play won't drop off that much any time soon. Maybe injuries will start to sap his ability.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 243

Post#43 » by Samson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Now they're saying that Elton Brand called Magic Johnson to apologize because he and the media articles gave the impression that the Lakers were trying to get in touch with Ben Simmons, when the truth was Simmons's brothers got someone in the 76ers organzation to contact the Lakers, asking to get Ben Simmons in touch with Magic. The Lakers replied, both teams and the league will have to sign off on this, and the Sixers upper level (perhaps newly-promoted Elton Brand?) did NOT sign off, and said No.

The article comes out and the interview with Brand makes it seem the opposite.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I believe it's the definition of tampering that Magic put it out there like that unsolicited in a media interview.

And I TOTALLY agree there is a unique amount of shall I say influence with a certain agent, his clients, and the power structure of the NBA, and the NBA allows it ridiculously.

But what do I know, pretty much just a Joe Sixpack hater who's hella jelly, right?
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#44 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 pm

The NBA ended their investigation namely at our behest. It makes sense Brand isn't looking to rock any boats ATM with Simmons not demanding a trade and being under control for at least two more years.

It's bull though.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#45 » by Ericb5 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:I don't get the whole tampering thing anyway. Players tamper all the time. Hell that's how the Golden State Warriors happened... with Steph, Klay and Draymond befriending KD on Team USA and continually planting in his mind about coming to Golden State. How is that not tampering. Or opponents working out in the off-season to try and recruit players to teams. It's all tampering that goes unpunished.

Agreed.

Plus how would it be policed? So if the Lakers have Rich Paul in their office to talk about his client Lebron, they can’t ask him about his other client Davis? Who is going to prevent that?

One of the solutions would be just to disbar Rich Paul as an agent and not allow his clients to sign with any NBA team.

I don’t blame Rich Paul. He is simply playing the game. I don’t even blame Magic.

Colluding should be illegal. Tampering as it is currently defined seems like a non issue to me.

It can’t be stopped, and contracts are enforceable.

hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#46 » by hookshot199 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:57 am

Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Agreed.

I don’t blame Rich Paul. He is simply playing the game. I don’t even blame Magic.

Colluding should be illegal. Tampering as it is currently defined seems like a non issue to me.

Magic needs his wrists slapped. It's okay that Brand called him out. It's okay that he backed off.
He's issued a warning. Next step will be for Josh Harris to raise the issue at the next owners
meeting and propose, hopefully with Gayle Benson: first breach fine, second breach a first-round
pick. Propose a zero-tolerance policy.

Paul George and Anthony Davis are facts, not speculation. They happened.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#47 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:14 am

Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Agreed.

[b]It can’t be stopped, and contracts are enforceable.[/b]

I do and it's easy to stop. The NBA doesn't do it because they like the storylines but at some point it's going to turn off fans I know I am tired of it.

The NBA wants you to believe it can't be stopped because it makes them not responsible and therefore unaccountable but ask yourself why does it only happen in the NBA? Why doesn't it happen in the NFL? The MLB? It's a simple answer their commissioners would never tolerate it. To be clear Stern wouldn't have either. Silver however is more interested in maintaining player relationships then he is representing league interests and the interests of the owners.

Everyone knows Paul and Klutch are extensions of Lebron Inc. Disbar them as long as Lebron is a player. It isn't hard. When you find evidence of tampering like they did with George take away picks and publish what you have found. It isn't as hard as everyone lets on. If Lebron ends up peeved too bad.

Also everyone knows why Pelinka was hired to begin with it wasn't for his great basketball mind. As long as the NBA allows teams to toe the line they'll continue to go over when they think noone is looking. Silver has his priorities way out of wack like he has no problem pressuring the sixers to get rid of Hinkie but makes nary a peep when the Lakers hire what was an active agent.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers