Sixers vs Celtics, Tuesday 8PM ET, TNT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Re: Sixers vs Celtics, Tuesday 8PM ET, TNT 

Post#801 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:04 pm

AirP. wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Yeah, I guess you are right, it is not necessarily chicken legs, but center of gravity, but still, center of gravity is an strength realted issue, you can't utilize you strength properly because you have higher center of gravity.

Horford leads/plants his right leg into the guy who's got his back to the basket that he's defending to make it difficult to bully ball him but that leaves him open to be beat by a spin to the right which Boston's defenders know to help that way, basically funneling him to a defender. So either he shoots over him, get by him on his left or he just needs to face up and shoot over him.
How was that defender there? Morris went to double team Embiid and Tatum covered Simmons leaving Harris all by himself in the corner uncovered. Had Simmons not just stood under the basket(with Tatum) after passing it in, Embiid might have been able to pass the ball to an uncovered Harris in the corner(unless Harris cut to the basket to get the rebound or a pass for an easy dunk). You can see Embiid's shots at NBA.com's video stats page.

Another problem is Embiid settling for 3s as a 30% shooter.
(I don't know the numbers of him faking his man up and getting to the rim and scoring which the 3pt threat helps create)

Wins and losses with 3 or less 3PA by Embiid.
18/19 16-2 .888 winning %
17/18 27-8 .771
Total 43-10 .811

Wins and losses with 4 or more 3PA by Embiid.
18/19 19-16 .543
17/18 14-14 .500
Total 33-30 .550

All of this is on Brett though. he just has one gameplan that he thinks just works against any team, and will stick to his gameplan over and over and over, while making zero adjustments. We have a super talented team limited by a tanking coach.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
DeMychal
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#802 » by DeMychal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Yeah, I guess you are right, it is not necessarily chicken legs, but center of gravity, but still, center of gravity is an strength realted issue, you can't utilize you strength properly because you have higher center of gravity.

Horford leads/plants his right leg into the guy who's got his back to the basket that he's defending to make it difficult to bully ball him but that leaves him open to be beat by a spin to the right which Boston's defenders know to help that way, basically funneling him to a defender. So either he shoots over him, get by him on his left or he just needs to face up and shoot over him.
How was that defender there? Morris went to double team Embiid and Tatum covered Simmons leaving Harris all by himself in the corner uncovered. Had Simmons not just stood under the basket(with Tatum) after passing it in, Embiid might have been able to pass the ball to an uncovered Harris in the corner(unless Harris cut to the basket to get the rebound or a pass for an easy dunk). You can see Embiid's shots at NBA.com's video stats page.

(I don't know the numbers of him faking his man up and getting to the rim and scoring which the 3pt threat helps create)

17/18 27-8 .771
Total 43-10 .811

18/19 19-16 .543
17/18 14-14 .500
Total 33-30 .550

All of this is on Brett though. he just has one gameplan that he thinks just works against any team, and will stick to his gameplan over and over and over, while making zero adjustments. We have a super talented team limited by a tanking coach.

Precisely great post!!!!
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#803 » by KrazySixersD » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:07 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
AirP. wrote:

17/18 27-8 .771
Total 43-10 .811

18/19 19-16 .543
17/18 14-14 .500
Total 33-30 .550

what horford is doing is ILLEGAL and supposed to be called a foul

do u guys know basketball? i am dumbfounded that the rest of the board isnt up in arms over this

u guys continue to post like its a legal tactic that hes doing.. it isnt.. if it was every defender in the league would do it
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#804 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
AirP. wrote:Horford leads/plants his right leg into the guy who's got his back to the basket that he's defending to make it difficult to bully ball him but that leaves him open to be beat by a spin to the right which Boston's defenders know to help that way, basically funneling him to a defender. So either he shoots over him, get by him on his left or he just needs to face up and shoot over him.

17/18 27-8 .771
Total 43-10 .811

18/19 19-16 .543
17/18 14-14 .500
Total 33-30 .550

what horford is doing is ILLEGAL and supposed to be called a foul

do u guys know basketball? i am dumbfounded that the rest of the board isnt up in arms over this

u guys continue to post like its a legal tactic that hes doing.. it isnt.. if it was every defender in the league would do it

Not necessarily, Horford is smart and knows how to play defense better than most NBA bigs. James Soften has created the blueprint on how to be successful while not giving crap about defense, so other players follow his example and just don't learn defensive fundamentals.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#805 » by phifans » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:31 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
youngcrev wrote:While the Celtics definitely seem to have our number, part of me just feels like they were treating this like a playoff game in terms of scheming and intensity, while the Sixers are more focused on working the new pieces in. It's still extremely frustrating and highlights some of the issues they present in a playoff series.

The Sixers want to beat Boston just as much as Boston wants to remain the big brother. Embiids reaction post game shows just that.

Sadly that doesnt show in the game. Bos clearly prepared the game much better than us tomorrow night.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#806 » by gdog2004 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 pm

phifans wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
youngcrev wrote:While the Celtics definitely seem to have our number, part of me just feels like they were treating this like a playoff game in terms of scheming and intensity, while the Sixers are more focused on working the new pieces in. It's still extremely frustrating and highlights some of the issues they present in a playoff series.

The Sixers want to beat Boston just as much as Boston wants to remain the big brother. Embiids reaction post game shows just that.

Sadly that doesnt show in the game. Bos clearly prepared the game much better than us tomorrow night.

Sure it does. It was a one possession game. So if Butler makes the free throws it DID show in the game ? Cmon.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#807 » by Foshan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:00 am

Not sure if i missed it in this thread, anyone know:
1. Did Embiid get fined for his refs comment?
2. Is there a two minute report about if embiid got fouled on that last play by horford?
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,597

Post#808 » by FireMorey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 am

Foshan wrote:Not sure if i missed it in this thread, anyone know:
2. Is there a two minute report about if embiid got fouled on that last play by horford?

Yes
Yes
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,116

Post#809 » by eyeatoma » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 am

Foshan wrote:Not sure if i missed it in this thread, anyone know:

Got fined 25K for his comments.

Haven't seen the report yet.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#810 » by Jams60 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 am

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,116

Post#811 » by eyeatoma » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:20 am

Read on Twitter

2 minute report confirms he was fouled.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#812 » by Arsenal » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:31 am

Brett needs to call out these refs with a profanity laced tirade before a series against the Celtics. Just plant it in everyone's minds how they clutch, grab, and foul non-stop and get away with it because I assume the refs think they can't call them all. That's something Phil Jackson would do. Just get it out there that the Celtics get away with all sorts of ish and the refs will tend to go the other way just to prove they aren't biased. Any little edge like this would help in this type of series.
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#813 » by aHealthy3 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:35 am

One comment: for all the hand wringing about Ben, Joel and JJ, they all were positive in +/- last night. I'm kind of shocked at how little criticism Brand has gotten for leaving the deadline with a still completely unaddressed bench. It was a huge weakness and arguably got worse. We don't have a single bench player who would see 15 minutes on another east contender.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#814 » by Arsenal » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:42 am

aHealthy3 wrote:One comment: for all the hand wringing about Ben, Joel and JJ, they all were positive in +/- last night. I'm kind of shocked at how little criticism Brand has gotten for leaving the deadline with a still completely unaddressed bench. It was a huge weakness and arguably got worse. We don't have a single bench player who would see 15 minutes on another east contender.

We've got a bunch of cheerleaders on this board claiming our bench is much improved. Or who cares about our bench.

I don't see it. It's worse than before. Which is a problem as ALL 3 of our big Eastern Conference rivals have a ton of depth.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,723

Post#815 » by AirP. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50 am

KrazySixersD wrote:what horford is doing is ILLEGAL and supposed to be called a foul

There are players get away with certain moves because they know how to make it difficult for the refs to see and call.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#816 » by the_process » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50 am

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
DeMychal wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:I used to like Horford on the Hawks. Now he's one of my most hated players only because he wears green, is so durable, and is so effective against us. Too bad because he's a nice guy. Sooooo petty, but I don't care.

We play right into their gameplan every. single. time.

well I took the liberty and re-watching the game just now and he is hacking the s*** out of embiid about 10 times & it didn't get called.

Of course he did. He does it every time and gets away with it. He's so crafty that the majority of the time it doesn't get called. That's basketball IQ to the highest level and referee laziness.

I wrote a detailed post a couple of pages back about the 2 things that Horford always does when we play the Celtics: 1) he defends Embiid in the post with his leg and knee sticking out in front of Embiid like a fire hydrant that won't move, and 2) he uses his elbows like a chicken wing and basically punches our players in the ribs when they try to get around him on a screen.

Never gets called for any of those things. It's so frustrating because he does it all the time.

Next game, we should put Boban in early and just have him truck Horford the first screen he sets. Old time hockey! :lol:
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#817 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 am

Just sort of stat digging. Tobias Harris hadn't shot worse than 0-3 from three all season (attempted a three in every game, 7 out of 58 he hadn't made a one in), yesterday's 0-6 performance was by far his worst shooting night.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#818 » by XDevilBoiX » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:08 am

New year, new players, same old Sixers. Celtics are Sixers daddy.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#819 » by Arsenal » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:Just sort of stat digging. Tobias Harris hadn't shot worse than 0-3 from three all season (attempted a three in every game, 7 out of 58 he hadn't made a one in), yesterday's 0-6 performance was by far his worst shooting night.

We're going to hear apologists claiming it was just bad luck that our shots didn't go down. There is probably some truth to that. However the looks Harris was getting weren't great, and several of them were a bit behind the stripe. The Celtics always do a good job of defending the line, so we shouldn't expect to shoot well against them.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#820 » by the_process » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:43 am

aHealthy3 wrote:One comment: for all the hand wringing about Ben, Joel and JJ, they all were positive in +/- last night. I'm kind of shocked at how little criticism Brand has gotten for leaving the deadline with a still completely unaddrfessed bench. It was a huge weakness and arguably got worse. We don't have a single bench player who would see 15 minutes on another east contender.

Because Brand tried. He grabbed Ennis and J.Simmons, didn't have anything left to deal, and then got (likely) stood up by Matthews and Ellington.

His huge mistake was not getting more in the Harris trade.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers