PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Re: Who could replace Brett Brown? 

Post#141 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Mar 5, 2019 1:57 am

Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
the_process wrote:
Caping for Lue? :lol: Man, you need to look beyond the cover of the book.

Again I'll ask you like I've asked the others. Are Phil Jackson and Pat Riley bad coaches because they had star players? Yes or no?

Is Eric Spolestra a bad coach because he lost to Brett Brown?

It's very possible to tell how good or bad a coach is outside of the talent on his roster.

There's just a total irony with you dismissing Brown's success while also pumping up guys who succeeded with talented rosters.

But Browns "success" has only gotten him exposed In the second round of the playoffs. TY Lue won a title and went to more finals, that's the difference. As for Spolestra, he's a good coach who also won with stars but at least now we're seeing his worth as he's got his team fighting for the playoffs every year and has developed some decent players too. I'd certainly take him as well.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,798

Post#142 » by Negrodamus » Tue Mar 5, 2019 2:36 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Oh, so HE DIDN'T win a title In his "rookie season" like Ty did? I wonder why? :lol: :lol:

Certainly wasn't the coaching change, I can guarantee that.

LOL face it bro, your point BACKFIRED In your face :lol: :lol:

I think you win the argument if you put the most emojis in your post.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#143 » by djsunyc » Tue Mar 5, 2019 2:39 am

throwback half court players like embiid/butler? one of the van gundy's.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,524

Post#144 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 5, 2019 8:33 am

How good is Brett?

Against the Celts, we say Brett is outcoached and how JJ is our achilles heal against them.

But looking at the numbers.. JJ has the best oncourt NetRtg against the Celts. And for the season, JJ also allows his opponent so shoot below their average when he defends them. And against Celtics players, they shoot 8% below average when Jj challenges their shots.

Its just an example of how Brett has done a good job hiding the weaknesses of our players.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,524

Post#145 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 5, 2019 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Brett’s fault
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#146 » by Jams60 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 4:19 am

https://stats.nba.com/teams/clutch-advanced/?sort=W&dir=-1&CF=TEAM_NAME*E*&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&ClutchTime=Last%201%20Minute

I’m bringing this over from the Magic game thread because considering the amount of time that I read comments about how bad Brown and the Sixers are in the clutch, I had to look twice at this list to make sure I wasn’t reading it upside down. But no, rather then being poor, we are elite.
We rank second for the last 5,2,1 minutes with a difference of 5 pts or less. Where does this alternate narrative come from?
Is it that we only remember losses or games against Boston or the one just recently?
Btw Nuggets are number 1.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#147 » by Kolkmania » Wed Mar 6, 2019 12:27 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Again I'll ask you like I've asked the others. Are Phil Jackson and Pat Riley bad coaches because they had star players? Yes or no?

Is Eric Spolestra a bad coach because he lost to Brett Brown?

It's very possible to tell how good or bad a coach is outside of the talent on his roster.

There's just a total irony with you dismissing Brown's success while also pumping up guys who succeeded with talented rosters.

But Browns "success" has only gotten him exposed In the second round of the playoffs. TY Lue won a title and went to more finals, that's the difference. As for Spolestra, he's a good coach who also won with stars but at least now we're seeing his worth as he's got his team fighting for the playoffs every year and has developed some decent players too. I'd certainly take him as well.

Go to the Miami board and see how many posters loath Spoelstra's rotations, lack of playing Derick Jones Jr., etc. etc. Why is Spoelstra fighting for the PO an accomplishment, while Brown getting to the second round in his first(!) competitive year a bad thing?

Saying that it is his "only success" is laughable since it was actually his first year with a competent roster. The grass is always greener on the other side. Brown's ability to have his team competing at all times should not be taken for granted.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#148 » by rzzzzz » Wed Mar 6, 2019 6:41 pm

Jams60 wrote:https://stats.nba.com/teams/clutch-advanced/?sort=W&dir=-1&CF=TEAM_NAME*E*&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&ClutchTime=Last%201%20Minute

I’m bringing this over from the Magic game thread because considering the amount of time that I read comments about how bad Brown and the Sixers are in the clutch, I had to look twice at this list to make sure I wasn’t reading it upside down. But no, rather then being poor, we are elite.
We rank second for the last 5,2,1 minutes with a difference of 5 pts or less. Where does this alternate narrative come from?
Is it that we only remember losses or games against Boston or the one just recently?
Btw Nuggets are number 1.

are there any stats on how many double digit leads we give up down the stretch to get into these close games? thank goodness we got Jimmy. but i'd just as soon put more games out of reach sooner, even if it means giving up the excitement.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#149 » by PhillyPhilly » Wed Mar 6, 2019 6:44 pm

Word is Doc Rivers can get out of his contract after this season. Would he be a good option here?
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#150 » by BB_Fan » Thu Mar 7, 2019 8:20 am

Steve will not let Doc Rivers walk. Clippers are trying to build a contender by signing Kwahi and other free agents.

Doc is not sold on Harris as max player or else would not have signed of on trade.

Brett brown has his limitation but there no good coaches out there available who are better than Brown.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#151 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Mar 7, 2019 12:23 pm

BB_Fan wrote:Steve will not let Doc Rivers walk. Clippers are trying to build a contender by signing Kwahi and other free agents.

Doc is not sold on Harris as max player or else would not have signed of on trade.

Brett brown has his limitation but there no good coaches out there available who are better than Brown.

Wrong, The Clippers offered Harris a four year max last year and Tobias rejected it. Also Doc isn't stupid, he's not gonna put together a better team In LA than the one we have here. Kawhi is the only one they have a shot at right now, and he alone will not be enough.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#152 » by youngcrev » Thu Mar 7, 2019 12:53 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:Steve will not let Doc Rivers walk. Clippers are trying to build a contender by signing Kwahi and other free agents.

Wrong, The Clippers offered Harris a four year max last year and Tobias rejected it. Also Doc isn't stupid, he's not gonna put together a better team In LA than the one we have here. Kawhi is the only one they have a shot at right now, and he alone will not be enough.

Nope, it was 4 years 80M, not the max.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by rzzzzz » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:48 pm

J van G
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#154 » by gdog2004 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 6:33 pm

rzzzzz wrote:J van G

What about Stan ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#155 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Mar 7, 2019 7:22 pm

My patience with Brett is on the decline, but there's really only a select few guys I can think of as viable replacement options and they're all currently employed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#156 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Mar 7, 2019 8:30 pm

Looking at what we have and looking at the results on the court... Brett Brown should be on the hot seat. We should be blowing out all of the lesser teams and winning half of the games against the others in the top 4. We aren't.

Our window for a championship starts this year. Winning it this year is unlikely due to Golden State and the fact that Embiid/Simmons aren't at their peaks yet (we hope!). But we should expect a championship either this year or in one of the next 3. If we don't reach the ECF this year, Brett Brown should be worried about his job. If we don't get past the first round, it shouldn't even be a question - he should be fired.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#157 » by rzzzzz » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:15 pm

gdog2004 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:J van G

What about Stan ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i always thought Jeff had the competence w/o his brothers histrionics. plus he's getting high fives for his recent work shepherding our amateur squad through the preliminary round of the Olympics. but if you prefer taking a chance on a great college coach, besides Jay Wright, how about Bill Self? (who Embiid learned a lot from and truly digs.)
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#158 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:01 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:My patience with Brett is on the decline, but there's really only a select few guys I can think of as viable replacement options and they're all currently employed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. There aren’t any great alternatives right now.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#159 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:16 pm

The question is guys what KIND of coach does this roster need (if hopefully it stays together)?

1. A young, x's and o's type who is an assistant right now? (Jarron Collins)

2. A proven vet who has been In the league before (Jeff Van Gundy)

3. A college coach who could be another Brad Stevens? (Will Wade?)

4. A coach who can develop players?

5. A guy who has won a championship before? (Lue or Rivers)

What are we looking for yall when you consider the roster we have?
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#160 » by BB_Fan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:48 am

FlyingArrow wrote:Looking at what we have and looking at the results on the court... Brett Brown should be on the hot seat. We should be blowing out all of the lesser teams and winning half of the games against the others in the top 4. We aren't.

Our window for a championship starts this year. Winning it this year is unlikely due to Golden State and the fact that Embiid/Simmons aren't at their peaks yet (we hope!). But we should expect a championship either this year or in one of the next 3. If we don't reach the ECF this year, Brett Brown should be worried about his job. If we don't get past the first round, it shouldn't even be a question - he should be fired.

We will the first round but will exit in second round if we face Bucks. That match is a nightmare especially if embiid gets in foul trouble.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers