ImageImageImage

Who could replace Brett Brown?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Re: Who could replace Brett Brown? 

Post#161 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:The question is guys what KIND of coach does this roster need (if hopefully it stays together)?

1. A young, x's and o's type who is an assistant right now? (Jarron Collins)

2. A proven vet who has been In the league before (Jeff Van Gundy)

3. A college coach who could be another Brad Stevens? (Will Wade?)

4. A coach who can develop players?

5. A guy who has won a championship before? (Lue or Rivers)

What are we looking for yall when you consider the roster we have?

A coach that can turn water into wine
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#162 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:45 pm

The Doc Rivers contract situation is sure to interest the Sixers In the offseason if Brown doesn't get it done I think. A proven championship winning coach with our big four could be something ti behold. Oh, and he seems to have Brad Stevens number too :D .
steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Post#163 » by steveb21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Larry Brown
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#164 » by hookshot199 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm

76ciology wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:The question is guys what KIND of coach does this roster need (if hopefully it stays together)?

1. A young, x's and o's type who is an assistant right now? (Jarron Collins)

2. A proven vet who has been In the league before (Jeff Van Gundy)

3. A college coach who could be another Brad Stevens? (Will Wade?)

4. A coach who can develop players?

5. A guy who has won a championship before? (Lue or Rivers)

What are we looking for yall when you consider the roster we have?

A coach that can turn water into wine

I don't know who the best NBA assistants are, but Lue, Rivers and van Gundy…NO, NO, NO.
Whoever said Larry Brown, that's a joke.

If we're going to go the college route, I strongly to go after Jay Wright, who's one of the
best and, in my opinion, in the Brad Stevens class.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#165 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm

steveb21 wrote:Larry Brown

Donald Trump
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#166 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm

youngcrev wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:Steve will not let Doc Rivers walk. Clippers are trying to build a contender by signing Kwahi and other free agents.

Doc is not sold on Harris as max player or else would not have signed of on trade.

Brett brown has his limitation but there no good coaches out there available who are better than Brown.

Wrong, The Clippers offered Harris a four year max last year and Tobias rejected it. Also Doc isn't stupid, he's not gonna put together a better team In LA than the one we have here. Kawhi is the only one they have a shot at right now, and he alone will not be enough.

Nope, it was 4 years 80M, not the max.

Why let facts get in the way of a good story.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#167 » by nurseryc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 am

Brett Brown has done an outstanding job in his tenure as coach with this team. He’s made some mistakes give or take but so has every other coach bar maybe pop but even that’s arguable. He isn’t going anywhere.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#168 » by VDT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:38 am

Brown is not a bad coach and i am not sure there is a better one available at the moment. Players also seem to like him, so that's another reason not to replace him.

Having said that i get the feeling that the way he wants the team to play is different than what is optimal for the current personnel and that is also different from what is optimal for the best player in the team. If these three are not aligned i feel Sixers will have a hard time going far in the playoffs.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#169 » by Kolkmania » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 am

Zach Lowe's podcast with Brett Brown was fun. Brown is so well-spoken and offers insights in some of the thought processes he goes through.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#170 » by Stanford » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Every Brett interview sounds like a performance. I wish he'd sounds a little like Morey now and then.
ShirleyTemple
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#171 » by ShirleyTemple » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Zach Lowe's podcast with Brett Brown was fun. Brown is so well-spoken and offers insights in some of the thought processes he goes through.

I really liked Brett’s answer on Embiid’s PNR defense question, because I feel Zach doesn’t emphasize one thing when talking about that matter.

Moving Embiid on Morris wasn’t completely about his struggle with guarding Horford, and wasn’t that much of a shocker IMO.

The Celtics constantly pulled Embiid away from the paint so he simply wasn’t able to be effective as a rim protector and help defender AKA things he’s great at. Changing matchups completely solved that problem and Sixers had a 102 DEFRTG in the last 3 games of the series and a ridiculous 88 DEFRTG with Embiid on the court.

So when Brown said he wanted to help Joel, I really think that’s what was on his mind the most, and it was an obvious decision to make simply from utilizing players better perspective, and not that much because of Embiid’s 1 on 1 matchup problems with Horford.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#172 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 am

Ive been reading the Bucks forum. I stumbled upon a guy who posted “sixers are just much better in the clutch.”

You have to wonder if all those close games for us and all that blow outs for them, did gave us some advantage.

Ive said it before, all that blow outs to close out the season last year hurt us against the Celts.

You have to appreciate how Brett has trained our guys in crunch time. Im seeing a team that have another gear in crunch time. Biid and Butler have that switch you can turn on in crunch time.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#173 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 am

Ive been reading the Bucks forum. I stumbled upon a guy who posted “sixers are just much better in the clutch.”

You have to wonder if all those close games for us and all that blow outs for them, did gave us some advantage.

Ive said it before, all that blow outs to close out the season last year hurt us against the Celts.

You have to appreciate how Brett has trained our guys in crunch time. Im seeing a team that have another gear in crunch time. Biid and Butler have that switch you can turn on in crunch time.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#174 » by rzzzzz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 am

76ciology wrote:I'm seeing a team that have another gear in crunch time. Biid and Butler have that switch you can turn on in crunch time.

I give credit to Brett putting the ball more in Jimmy's hands to initiate, especially in crunch time.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#175 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:49 am

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:I'm seeing a team that have another gear in crunch time. Biid and Butler have that switch you can turn on in crunch time.

I give credit to Brett putting the ball more in Jimmy's hands to initiate, especially in crunch time.

Jimmy’s PnR has been improved also. You saw him hitting those floaters off PnR in today’s game. He settled with mid range jumpers against the Kings. Before, he used to just pass out of those PnR that has been a head scratcher for me.

That Jimmy-Biid or Jimmy-Bobi PnR will be huge. Probably the second best free hand offense after the JJ-Biid DHO.
gioporel
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#176 » by gioporel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Jimmy Butler.
Assistant coach: Joel Embiid.
Stonk
Freshman
And1: 79

Post#177 » by Stonk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:42 am

So....

• beaten pacers, bucks away, and now boston on the 2nd of a B2B in the last 6 games. Not to mention a fantastic record against the best west teams this season.
  • The guy bleeds sixers and our players would take a bullet for him.
  • We have pretty much wrapped up the 3rd seed now despite constant roster upheaval through out the year. And trying to force Markelle into lineups he had no place in
  • We are close to the best clutch team in the league.
  • Statistically top3 when it comes to points out of a time out.
  • On top of all this he happily **** his coaching record just to be a part of The Process.

Why does everyone want this guy gone?

I want his name in the rafters when all is said and done.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,847

Post#178 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:48 am

Stonk wrote:So....

• beaten pacers, bucks away, and now boston on the 2nd of a B2B in the last 6 games. Not to mention a fantastic record against the best west teams this season.
  • The guy bleeds sixers and our players would take a bullet for him.
  • We have pretty much wrapped up the 3rd seed now despite constant roster upheaval through out the year. And trying to force Markelle into lineups he had no place in
  • We are close to the best clutch team in the league.
  • Statistically top3 when it comes to points out of a time out.
  • On top of all this he happily **** his coaching record just to be a part of The Process.

Why does everyone want this guy gone?

I want his name in the rafters when all is said and done.

All of this

But on top of that, you simply can't let go of Brown this offseason regardless of what happens. this is a huge offseason for us, needing to resign Jimmy, Tobias and others, as well as extend Simmons. If the players love Brett (which it appears they do) you on't can him and risk pissing off your pending FAs.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
gioporel
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#179 » by gioporel » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am

Anyone, please, even a cheerleader.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#180 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Coaching in all sports, specifically basketball and Football, has come under ridiculous criticism from fans the last 20 years. Videogames and Fantasy sports has made every person over the age of 10 thinks they are qualified strategists.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers