ImageImageImage

Who could replace Brett Brown?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Re: Who could replace Brett Brown? 

Post#61 » by Ben Simmons » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Zumramania wrote:Imagine if Brett coached the Celtics and Stevens coached the Sixers. I'm pretty sure Sixers would have won 9/10 games. Now, Stevens is probably one of the very best coaches in the league IMO, and Brett is "just" an above average coach. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us getting past the Celtics until Ben develops some kind of a jump shot, which could take some years...

the problem in the playoffs vs Boston was our 3-point-shooters missed most of their wide-open looks.
Ben got them everything they needed, but they missed, and there was a stat showing that Boston gave us more open looks than Miami did :o
and the only game that Ben underachieved was at Boston when we lead by 20 and then our shooters went cold and threw the lead away....
Ben did his job easily-
Game 1: 18 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 6-11 field, 6-11 free
Game 2: 1 point, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 0-4 field, 1-2 free
Game 3: 16 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 8-14 field, 0-0 free
Game 4: 19 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 6-15 field, 7-8 free
Game 5: 18 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 8-15 field, 2-2 free
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#62 » by Ericb5 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:53 pm

rzzzzz wrote:Seems like the talk around the all star game, players and commentators alike, is that we now got a starting unit better than any, except GSW, and a sufficient bench for the playoffs. No excuses at this point.

For a team that hardly had any PnR or perimeter iso scoring in its offense before the Butler trade, you don’t simply become great by adding great talent.

They have been literally changing the offense to maximize the effectiveness of Embiid, Simmons, and Butler, and there were fits and starts to it, but they have made strides for all three of them.

Now you add in a 4th guy.

It isn’t an excuse to expect them to need time to figure this out. They may figure it out this year, but they also may not. There are only 20 some games until the playoffs at this point.

I’m all for Brett Brown being held accountable, but this season isn’t the one where that will be laid bare. Next year is the real test.

I have been a huge Brown fan since his hiring, but I always knew that he may not be the guy to take us from being a good team into a true contender. I believe that he deserved the chance to prove it though, and now he is getting that chance.

This year may be chance number 1, but next year is chance number 2. If he can’t get us to the finals next year, or really close at least, then maybe we should try someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben Simmons
Starter

Post#63 » by Ben Simmons » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:Seems like the talk around the all star game, players and commentators alike, is that we now got a starting unit better than any, except GSW, and a sufficient bench for the playoffs. No excuses at this point.

For a team that hardly had any PnR or perimeter iso scoring in its offense before the Butler trade, you don’t simply become great by adding great talent.

They have been literally changing the offense to maximize the effectiveness of Embiid, Simmons, and Butler, and there were fits and starts to it, but they have made strides for all three of them.

It isn’t an excuse to expect them to need time to figure this out. They may figure it out this year, but they also may not. There are only 20 some games until the playoffs at this point.

I’m all for Brett Brown being held accountable, but this season isn’t the one where that will be laid bare. Next year is the real test.

I have been a huge Brown fan since his hiring, but I always knew that he may not be the guy to take us from being a good team into a true contender. I believe that he deserved the chance to prove it though, and now he is getting that chance.

This year may be chance number 1, but next year is chance number 2. If he can’t get us to the finals next year, or really close at least, then maybe we should try someone else.

definitely fired if we lose next year's playoffs, but he'd also be fired if we don't show signs of improvement in the regular season next year, and its pretty common for coaches to be fired mid-season :P
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#64 » by Ericb5 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Heidi4Ben wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

definitely fired if we lose next year's playoffs, but he'd also be fired if we don't show signs of improvement in the regular season next year, and its pretty common for coaches to be fired mid-season :P

For him to be fired mid-season next year we would have to show regression.

I think we are a year early of it even being something to consider. I think he has been terrific for us so far, and getting out coached by Stevens last year doesn’t mean that he isn’t a good coach.

Stevens our coaches everyone right now imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#65 » by youngcrev » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Heidi4Ben wrote:
Zumramania wrote:Imagine if Brett coached the Celtics and Stevens coached the Sixers. I'm pretty sure Sixers would have won 9/10 games. Now, Stevens is probably one of the very best coaches in the league IMO, and Brett is "just" an above average coach. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us getting past the Celtics until Ben develops some kind of a jump shot, which could take some years...

the problem in the playoffs vs Boston was our 3-point-shooters missed most of their wide-open looks.
Ben got them everything they needed, but they missed, and there was a stat showing that Boston gave us more open looks than Miami did :o
and the only game that Ben underachieved was at Boston when we lead by 20 and then our shooters went cold and threw the lead away....
Ben did his job easily-

Come on now. I realize you're only here because of Ben, but he was terrible in that series. The C's basically turned him into an offensive liability.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Post#66 » by Embiid P » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 pm

I fear that Brett Brown is going to become the Sixers' version of Andy Reid. Great regular season coach who can't get it done in the playoffs due to his inability to make adjustments on the fly and thus overstays his welcome. If we plan to keep him around for the foreseeable future, he has to be able to solve not only Stevens but also Nurse and Budenholzer who have proven to be really good coaches in their own right. As far as who we replace him with that's realistically attainable, I'm not sure right now.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#67 » by Ericb5 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:34 am

Embiid P wrote:I fear that Brett Brown is going to become the Sixers' version of Andy Reid. Great regular season coach who can't get it done in the playoffs due to his inability to make adjustments on the fly and thus overstays his welcome. If we plan to keep him around for the foreseeable future, he has to be able to solve not only Stevens but also Nurse and Budenholzer who have proven to be really good coaches in their own right. As far as who we replace him with that's realistically attainable, I'm not sure right now.

He could be our Andy Reid, but Reid was given lots of chances with contending teams before it was time for a change. I think we will eventually solve Stevens, and Budenholzer, but will do it with talent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#68 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:59 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Heidi4Ben wrote:

Ben did his job easily-

Come on now. I realize you're only here because of Ben, but he was terrible in that series. The C's basically turned him into an offensive liability.

Disagree. It's a complete myth that he was "exposed" by Boston that series. He had ONE poor game and in the other games he pretty much hit his usual averages for points, assists and rebounds. So how anyone can say he was "terrible" is beyond me. Redick, Cov, Ersan and Marco were the ones who cost us that series due to their poor shooting among other things imo. Not Ben.
Ben Simmons
Starter

Post#69 » by Ben Simmons » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:20 pm

^ and even in Ben's bad game we led by 22 at Boston, and our 3-point-shooters threw that lead away by chucking every possession....and the fact Ben still got 7 assists despite the 3-point-shooters failing us, shows that he was doing his job :nod:
Ben only took 4 shots because our 3-point-shooters were on-fire in the 1st half so he was feeding them, and then they kept shooting in the 2nd half because they thought everything would keep going in....and then Embiid dominated the ball after that (Embiid went 8-22).
and in fact Ben only played 31 minutes, while Covington played 40, Embiid 37, Redick 36, Saric 34.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#70 » by rzzzzz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
I have been a huge Brown fan since his hiring, but I always knew that he may not be the guy to take us from being a good team into a true contender. I believe that he deserved the chance to prove it though, and now he is getting that.

How long did it take Bud to figure out the Bucks? Do you have any doubts that he will have them well schemed for Mirotic by the playoffs? How long did it take Phil to figure out the Lakers, twice?

I don't think Brett did such a hot job last year in the playoffs, but he deserved another year to improve his implementation of Embiid and Simmons, the best young combo in the league. And he is now gifted with two more all star level players who we get one chance of showing we're legit before they decide where they want to end up. We don't have to necessarily win it all this year to make the case, but Brett, who has all our sympathy for the long tank, has to prove he can adequately develop, plan and make the right in game adjustments. If he shows improvement and promise in the post season, sure, let's give him another chance, again. But if we don't see nothing special, than we risk the definition of insanity.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#71 » by youngcrev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Heidi4Ben wrote:the problem in the playoffs vs Boston was our 3-point-shooters missed most of their wide-open looks.
Ben did his job easily-

Disagree. It's a complete myth that he was "exposed" by Boston that series. He had ONE poor game and in the other games he pretty much hit his usual averages for points, assists and rebounds. So how anyone can say he was "terrible" is beyond me. Redick, Cov, Ersan and Marco were the ones who cost us that series due to their poor shooting among other things imo. Not Ben.

It's a bigger issue when your second best player becomes a liability than your role players. The manner in which the Celtics defended Ben killed the offense. The Sixers were a minus-63 with him on the court and a plus-48 with him off in that series. His individual stats may not stand out to you as bad (though his assists were down and turnovers were up), but he was completely ineffective.

I'm sure this makes me come off as a Ben hater, but I'm far from it. I just happen to have my eyes open during that series. The good news is that he's incredibly talented and has plenty of time to figure things out.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#72 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 pm

youngcrev wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

It's a bigger issue when your second best player becomes a liability than your role players. The manner in which the Celtics defended Ben killed the offense. The Sixers were a minus-63 with him on the court and a plus-48 with him off in that series. His individual stats may not stand out to you as bad (though his assists were down and turnovers were up), but he was completely ineffective.

I'm sure this makes me come off as a Ben hater, but I'm far from it. I just happen to have my eyes open during that series. The good news is that he's incredibly talented and has plenty of time to figure things out.

Again I disagree. The whole "plus minus" stuff is a whole load of garbage imo. The bottom line is who did their jobs? If you really did "have your eyes open", I take it you saw Redick/Ersan/Marco getting exposed defensively over and over again? I take it you saw Cov fail to put up many points after the first game? I take it you saw Embiid struggling to adjust to wearing a mask and Brown getting out coached down the stretch several times? Ben put up his normal numbers, PERIOD. So imo he was far from exposed or responsible for the outcome of that series.
Ben Simmons
Starter

Post#73 » by Ben Simmons » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Miami actually defended the 3-point-line better than Boston, but we lost to Boston because our guys couldn't hit open threes, not Ben's fault :x
Ben got the ball to them, and scored plenty himself, and hit his free-throws....
but Ben's the easiest scapegoat.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#74 » by youngcrev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Heidi4Ben wrote:Miami actually defended the 3-point-line better than Boston, but we lost to Boston because our guys couldn't hit open threes, not Ben's fault :x
Ben got the ball to them, and scored plenty himself, and hit his free-throws....

Ben being a scapegoat implies that he's taking the brunt of the blame for them losing the series. That's not what's going on here. There are plenty of reasons they lost the series. But Boston's gameplan around him which basically turned him into a detriment to the team's offense was absolutely one of them.

But I get it. Ben can do no wrong in your eyes, so this is pointless.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#75 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm

Embiid P wrote:I fear that Brett Brown is going to become the Sixers' version of Andy Reid. Great regular season coach who can't get it done in the playoffs due to his inability to make adjustments on the fly and thus overstays his welcome. If we plan to keep him around for the foreseeable future, he has to be able to solve not only Stevens but also Nurse and Budenholzer who have proven to be really good coaches in their own right. As far as who we replace him with that's realistically attainable, I'm not sure right now.

How have Nurse and Budenholzer proven themselves to be good coaches?

Win totals of teams Budenholzer has beaten in the playoffs (all in series he had home court advantage):
48 wins
46 wins
38 wins

If any of these guys are Andy Reid it's Budenholzer.

Brown has had one playoff run, where he won a series with home court and lost a series without it. None of those 3 other coaches have won a playoff series without homecourt. Heck last years Sixers are probably the best team any of those 3 coaches have beaten. (They're the only 50 win team Stevens has beaten)

All 4 coaches have something to prove this spring.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#76 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:57 pm

Actually the more I think about it, Stevens has lost in the conference championship two years in a row despite having home court, maybe he's Andy Reid.
Ben Simmons
Starter

Post#77 » by Ben Simmons » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:58 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Heidi4Ben wrote:Miami actually defended the 3-point-line better than Boston, but we lost to Boston because our guys couldn't hit open threes, not Ben's fault :x

Ben being a scapegoat implies that he's taking the brunt of the blame for them losing the series. That's not what's going on here. There are plenty of reasons they lost the series. But Boston's gameplan around him which basically turned him into a detriment to the team's offense was absolutely one of them.

But I get it. Ben can do no wrong in your eyes, so this is pointless.

whenever NBA analysts (and randoms online) bring up the Boston series Ben Simmons is the ONLY player they name specifically, despite the fact that he perfectly set-up our 3-point-shooters for wide-open looks and they shot only 30% through no fault of Ben Simmons :x
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#78 » by brannigan73 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Brown is on the clock to say otherwise is naive. I tend to agree there is nothing that could happen this season that could cost him his job but if they lose in the first round somehow and look bad doing it I have to believe they would at least think about firing him. I think people are over-estimating Embiid's love for Brown. The players like him but if this season busted out somehow you are telling me if management asked Embiid's permission/opinion on firing Brown don't be so sure he what he would say. What I don't like is that game against Boston looked like every other game against Boston except we added yet another top 20-30 player in the league and they were missing there best player. It should have looked different. Same bs forcing Embiid to go one on one versus Horford instead of using a guy like Butler who looked ready to save the day.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#79 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Seems telling that this thread is mostly "Brett's gotta do XYZ or he's gotta go" and very little discussion of what realistic replacement would actually be an upgrade. Closest we got was some college coach that could easily be the next Rick Pitino or Fred Hoiberg.

Realistically you would be looking at promoting someone like Monty Williams or bringing in a failed retread like Thibs or Mark Jackson.

The only somewhat realistic guy I would be interested in is Spolestra, and who knows if he would ever leave Miami.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Post#80 » by eyeatoma » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:47 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Seems telling that this thread is mostly "Brett's gotta do XYZ or he's gotta go" and very little discussion of what realistic replacement would actually be an upgrade. Closest we got was some college coach that could easily be the next Rick Pitino or Fred Hoiberg.

Realistically you would be looking at promoting someone like Monty Williams or bringing in a failed retread like Thibs or Mark Jackson.

The only somewhat realistic guy I would be interested in is Spolestra, and who knows if he would ever leave Miami.

Ughgh none of those please. I'd be very interested in Spoelstra though. Or... Jeff van Gundy? Maybe not, but I always thought he never got a fair shake.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers