Playoffs - jockeying for position

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Re: Playoffs - jockeying for position 

Post#221 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 7, 2019 5:45 pm

Just asking..

What is the chances of Embiid making all NBA first team if the team sits him out for the rest of the season?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#222 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 7, 2019 5:49 pm

76ciology wrote:Just asking..

What is the chances of Embiid making all NBA first team if the team sits him out for the rest of the season?

Anyway.. here’s my theory.

Embiid’s contract has some restrictions. He’s not eligible for the 30% max if he doesnt make it to all nba first team or mvp. He lose out that chance last season when he just ended up 2nd all nba team. That’s a lot of money lost and a lot of savings for our team.

MAYBE the guys sabotaged the Mav game so we need to play Embiid to get him the first all nba team award.

This could also explain why he sacrificed his defense over his offense this season. Your offense improves your chances thats why you dont hear Gobert in the discussion.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#223 » by kuclas » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:20 pm

76ciology wrote:

Embiid’s contract has some restrictions. He’s not eligible for the 30% max if he doesnt make it to all nba first team or mvp. He lose out that chance last season when he just ended up 2nd all nba team. That’s a lot of money lost and a lot of savings for our team.

MAYBE the guys sabotaged the Mav game so we need to play Embiid to get him the first all nba team award.

This could also explain why he sacrificed his defense over his offense this season. Your offense improves your chances thats why you dont hear Gobert in the discussion.

The rookie super max only kicks in if u are all all nba or dpoy (any all nba team 1-3rd teams). So sixers got lucky when embiid only made 2nd team last year.

KAT is trying his hardest to get 3rd team cause he will get the extra super rookie extension max.

Doesn’t matter if embiid gets 1-3rd team this season. He’s not getting any increase in salary.

Now for designated veterans extension. I think the rules are a little different. I think embiid would need to be all nba on any 1-3rd team or dpoy 2 out of the last 3 years of his current contract.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#224 » by kuclas » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:29 pm

I thought embiid had a solid case for 1st team until the last 3 games he missed. I thought embiid would end up playing 67-68 games.

If Orlando beats Boston tonight. I don’t think we seem embiid playing again till next Saturday 1st round of playoffs.

64 embiid games vs 79 games for jokic.

15 plus game difference. Unless Denver falters to 3rd seed. Voters tend use overall records when it’s close plus number of games played.

Lillard got first team last year mainly cause curry only played 54 games? But than again they gave gobert dpoy with 54 games.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,605

Post#225 » by FireMorey » Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:43 am

Sixers clinch the #3 seed.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#226 » by kuclas » Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:55 am

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:Sixers clinch the #3 seed.

Boston wasn’t even trying. They were gonna to rest players anyways.

They was trying to win the game but not really trying trying. Kind of weird how they were approaching the game. Tatum pulled for injury. Horford didn’t play much.

I’m down in Florida so follow the magic games a lot as well.
walker9
Junior
And1: 429

Post#227 » by walker9 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:12 am

Looks like it's likely Nets or Magic at this point. Pistons and Heat are falling apart and it doesn't seem like Hornets will catch up.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#228 » by Tomjas » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:51 am

kuclas wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:Sixers clinch the #3 seed.

Boston wasn’t even trying. They were gonna to rest players anyways.

They was trying to win the game but not really trying trying. Kind of weird how they were approaching the game. Tatum pulled for injury. Horford didn’t play much.

I’m down in Florida so follow the magic games a lot as well.

Boston was trying to win but are really inconsistent & go through periods where there game is out of sync

Has been happening all year and as a result, have a pretty poor record against reasonable teams (except us of course)
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,605

Post#229 » by FireMorey » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:11 am

I want to play the Nets. It'll be a tough matchup for us, I want to know right out of the gate what this team is made of.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#230 » by the_process » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:13 am

Boston loses, Sixers are the 3rd seed.

My guess is they will draw Brooklyn in the 1st round. That's going to be a harder series than many think, but they should win it in the end. Milwaukee in the second round, however, is not a winnable series if they can't slow down Giannis.
the_process
RealGM

Post#231 » by the_process » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:19 am

76ciology wrote:

Embiid's contract can't change whether he's 1st or 2nd team now. My problem with that prediction is Ben Simmons on 3rd team All-NBA means he can get the Rose extension. That's 30M extra over 5 years. It also means Ben will justify in his head that what he's doing is working and he doesn't have to change anything just like last offseason.
walker9
Junior
And1: 429

Post#232 » by walker9 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:20 am

the_process wrote:Boston loses, Sixers are the 3rd seed.

My guess is they will draw Brooklyn in the 1st round. That's going to be a harder series than many think, but they should win it in the end. Milwaukee in the second round, however, is not a winnable series if they can't slow down Giannis.

They won't be seeing the Bucks until the Conference Finals, assuming that the Sixers make it that far.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#233 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:20 am

Problem with Nets is they dont have anyone to handle embiid. While RHj at weakside with Allen defending Biid, is not good enough.

Defensively, we need to put Ben on dLo then swith that PnR. I doubt Allen can abuse Ben at the paint.
the_process
RealGM

Post#234 » by the_process » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:22 am

walker9 wrote:

They won't be seeing the Bucks until the Conference Finals, assuming that the Sixers make it that far.

You're right. Skipped ahead of Toronto.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#235 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:37 am

Even if we face the Bucks, they clearly cannot slow down Embiid either so I think they are a wash and it will be down to the other guys. And if that's the case I'm more than happy to make it a contest consisting of Tobias, Ben, Jimmy and JJ against Bledsoe, Lopez, Middleton etc.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,231

Post#236 » by eyeatoma » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:43 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:

Even if we face the Bucks, they clearly cannot slow down Embiid either so I think they are a wash and it will be down to the other guys. And if that's the case I'm more than happy to make it a contest consisting of Tobias, Ben, Jimmy and JJ against Bledsoe, Lopez, Middleton etc.

Problem is that they have a better bench, and it'll come down to homecourt, which the Bucks have an advantage in. I do think we have a better chance with them than the raptors.

I am really curious if anyone thinks we stand a chance against them.

Let's looks at the lineups:

Embiid > Gasol/Ibaka (Although Gasol does a good job on Joel)
Harris = Siakim - Siakim is very impressive and a much better defender, but Harris is a more fluid scorer, think it'll be Siakim next year.
Jimmy < Kawhi - Jimmy is mercurial, while Kawhi is quite consistent. This might sway it IMO.
JJ > Green Offensively speaking Redick is on another planet compared to Green, but Danny's defense makes it a lot closer.
Simmons = Lowry - I feel that SImmons should be better here, but Lowry is a better defender, and scorer and an equally good passer. That being said playoff Lowry is horrible, we will see if there is a playoff SImmons.

Ughghg The bench doesn't even need to be compared, that's the Raps.

IMO the only way we win this if we keep it close every game, and Jimmy goes ham each game in the last 5 minutes. Simmons can't be bottled up, and we need to shut down two of Lowry and Siakim/Kawhi each game. Just not sure that's possible.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#237 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:41 am

eyeatoma wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Problem is that they have a better bench, and it'll come down to homecourt, which the Bucks have an advantage in. I do think we have a better chance with them than the raptors.

I am really curious if anyone thinks we stand a chance against them.

Let's looks at the lineups:

Embiid > Gasol/Ibaka (Although Gasol does a good job on Joel)
Harris = Siakim - Siakim is very impressive and a much better defender, but Harris is a more fluid scorer, think it'll be Siakim next year.
Jimmy < Kawhi - Jimmy is mercurial, while Kawhi is quite consistent. This might sway it IMO.
JJ > Green Offensively speaking Reddick is on another planet compared to Green, but Danny's defense makes it a lot closer.
Simmons = Lowry - I feel that SImmons should be better here, but Lowry is a better defender, and scorer and an equally good passer. That being said playoff Lowry is horrible, we will see if there is a playoff SImmons.

Ughghg The bench doesn't even need to be compared, that's the Raps.

IMO the only way we win this if we keep it close every game, and Jimmy goes ham each game in the last 5 minutes. Simmons can't be bottled up, and we need to shut down two of Lowry and Siakim/Kawhi each game. Just not sure that's possible.

We've clearly got the better starting five than The Raps, and I don't even think it's as close as you suggest. As for the bench, well are benches winning championships these days? Because apparently someone didn't give Golden State a memo because their bench is worse than ours imo. Scott has shown he can put up twenty points on any given night, Bolden is shooting 43% from three since the start of this year and is a decent defender, Ennis can hit the three and defend competently etc. Our bench hasn't been perfect no doubt, but I think people going over the top with how they criticise it. More often than not it provides around 25 plus points and that should be good enough with the starting five we have. It's gonna be interesting to see If Zhaire can force his way onto the bench after these next two games as I think he could be more effective than TJ tbh.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#238 » by Kolkmania » Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:25 am

In a 7 game series I'm not really worried about the Nets to be honest. Russell, Dinwiddie and LeVert might have two/three games in which they catch fire and punish our P&R defense, but they have a similar roster flaw in their frontcourt. Nobody can guard Embiid and Simmons.

Orlando would be interesting because of Vucevic's pick and pop ability and their length on the defensive end. Their offensive abilities are not enough to really scare me though. I like this matchup because it will provide us valuable experience against a shooting big man, which we will inevitably face anyway because of Horford, Gasol, Ibaka and Lopez.

In my opinion everything stands or falls on Butler's ability to defend the PoA. Does he have an extra gear left? If not, I'm capping us at ECSF.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#239 » by kuclas » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:38 pm

Sixers should win 1st round against magic/nets in 5. Home court. Teams on equal rest. Assuming sixers have all 5 starters healthy.

The playoffs skew advantage to the home court and team with more talent.

But knowing the way the sixers have played this season. They could be stretched to 6 or even 7 games. That wouldn’t surprise me either.

Second round. Toronto will be just so difficult to play.

Marc gasol seems re energized. He can focus on defense cause he doesn’t need to score. Toronto figured ibaka is too small/thin to handle embiid. Embiid has done well against Toronto except for that one game he scored only 10 points (he claim to have stomach bug).

But Toronto is a tough matchup and if sixers don’t steal one in Toronto. I fine is extremely hard to win the series.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#240 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:05 pm

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:I want to play the Nets. It'll be a tough matchup for us, I want to know right out of the gate what this team is made of.

Glad you think we are at least a tough out.

I don't anticipate us moving on regardless of if we get you guys, toronto, or milwaukee but I am hoping we end up facing you guys. No disrepect to philly, its more that milwaukee routinely smashes our brains in and toronto i feel is a worse matchup with their depth and really is just better at us at we do.

Vs. you guys at least we can say we have an advantage going 12-13 deep with a bench nearly as productive as our starters were your bench is on the average side. although in the playoffs with shorter rotations that matters less.

Just hopinh we can take 1-2 games, maybe early on to give some false hope.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers