ImageImageImage

Playoffs - jockeying for position

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Playoffs - jockeying for position 

Post#241 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:06 pm

76ciology wrote:Problem with Nets is they dont have anyone to handle embiid. While RHj at weakside with Allen defending Biid, is not good enough.

Defensively, we need to put Ben on dLo then swith that PnR. I doubt Allen can abuse Ben at the paint.

I think you will see alot of RHJ and Dudley on embiid with the nets going super small. Nets will get abused by embiid either way and i think will elect to often go "5 out" with all shooters or RHJ at center and try and run
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#242 » by kuclas » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:20 pm

Wonder if sixers rest all their starters tomorrow night vs heat.

Maybe play the started 15 min Wednesday?
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#243 » by hookshot199 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:29 pm

Prokorov wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:I want to play the Nets. It'll be a tough matchup for us, I want to know right out of the gate what this team is made of.

Glad you think we are at least a tough out.

I don't anticipate us moving on regardless of if we get you guys, toronto, or milwaukee but I am hoping we end up facing you guys. No disrepect to philly, its more that milwaukee routinely smashes our brains in and toronto i feel is a worse matchup with their depth and really is just better at us at we do.

Vs. you guys at least we can say we have an advantage going 12-13 deep with a bench nearly as productive as our starters were your bench is on the average side. although in the playoffs with shorter rotations that matters less.

Just hoping we can take 1-2 games, maybe early on to give some false hope.

The Nets are well coached. We're not. And, as you pointed out, our bench is thin. If we weren't playing you,
I would root for you. I like what Atkinson has done. I like the fact that you're an over-achieving team.

To beat the Sixers IMO: Cover JJ like a blanket and force him off the 3-point line. And on defense, go at him
whenever he's in the game.

Give Embiid the 3-point line the whole game. He's begun faking a shot and then driving. Take a life insurance
policy on your designated defender to stand in front of him and possibly take a charge.

Give Simmons five feet whenever he's got the ball.

We have no idea if Butler's going to step up. He's the wild card.

The only other player to watch is Scott. You have to defend him when he's in.

If Brown adjusts to your perimeter defense and moves Embiid to the low post, double him up. He's still young
and prone to make turnovers.

I think the series will go six. I think we'll win. But this Sixers team depends too much on JJ on offense and
Embiid on defense.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#244 » by hookshot199 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:31 pm

kuclas wrote:Wonder if sixers rest all their starters tomorrow night vs heat.

Maybe play the started 15 min Wednesday?

I would play our starters 20-25 each - together.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,547

Post#245 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:37 pm

Prokorov wrote:
76ciology wrote:Problem with Nets is they dont have anyone to handle embiid. While RHj at weakside with Allen defending Biid, is not good enough.

Defensively, we need to put Ben on dLo then swith that PnR. I doubt Allen can abuse Ben at the paint.

I think you will see alot of RHJ and Dudley on embiid with the nets going super small. Nets will get abused by embiid either way and i think will elect to often go "5 out" with all shooters or RHJ at center and try and run

Its not gonna work. The way to beat Embiid is to clog the paint with a banger and a weakside blocker.

And the way to beat the Sixers is to make life tough for Embiid
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#246 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:27 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:I want to play the Nets. It'll be a tough matchup for us, I want to know right out of the gate what this team is made of.

I don't anticipate us moving on regardless of if we get you guys, toronto, or milwaukee but I am hoping we end up facing you guys. No disrepect to philly, its more that milwaukee routinely smashes our brains in and toronto i feel is a worse matchup with their depth and really is just better at us at we do.

Vs. you guys at least we can say we have an advantage going 12-13 deep with a bench nearly as productive as our starters were your bench is on the average side. although in the playoffs with shorter rotations that matters less.

The Nets are well coached. We're not. And, as you pointed out, our bench is thin. If we weren't playing you,
I would root for you. I like what Atkinson has done. I like the fact that you're an over-achieving team.

To beat the Sixers IMO: Cover JJ like a blanket and force him off the 3-point line. And on defense, go at him

Give Embiid the 3-point line the whole game. He's begun faking a shot and then driving. Take a life insurance
policy on your designated defender to stand in front of him and possibly take a charge.

If Brown adjusts to your perimeter defense and moves Embiid to the low post, double him up. He's still young

I think the series will go six. I think we'll win. But this Sixers team depends too much on JJ on offense and
Embiid on defense.

Lol has TOBIAS retired or something? How are they gonna cope with him too? :D
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#247 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:50 pm

76ciology wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Its not gonna work. The way to beat Embiid is to clog the paint with a banger and a weakside blocker.

And the way to beat the Sixers is to make life tough for Embiid

i didnt say it was going to work :)
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#248 » by hookshot199 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:22 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Embiid on defense.

I didn't. Tobias is steady except that his 3-point shooting has gone down since the trade.
But if you want to beat the Sixers since Jimmy is invisible for long stretches of many games,
move JJ off the 3-point line (make him shoot long 2's) and let the best big man in the game
beat you by shooting 3's.

Don't take the fake.

The other thing - and I'm going to trust my eyes since I can't locate a youtube example - it
seems to me that when JoJo and Redick play their little two-man game at the top of the key,
everybody else stands around. That's not good.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#249 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Apr 9, 2019 1:11 am

hookshot199 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:

Embiid on defense.

I didn't. Tobias is steady except that his 3-point shooting has gone down since the trade.
But if you want to beat the Sixers since Jimmy is invisible for long stretches of many games,
move JJ off the 3-point line (make him shoot long 2's) and let the best big man in the game

Don't take the fake.

The other thing - and I'm going to trust my eyes since I can't locate a youtube example - it
seems to me that when JoJo and Redick play their little two-man game at the top of the key,

It's very easy to say "move this person here", "Stop that person there", but the fact is we've got a starting five who can all get twenty or thirty points on any given day. And spending resources stopping JJ or Joel will only leave you exposed elsewhere which Tobias, Ben and Jimmy could exploit. This team is one of the top three or so in PPG totals this year for a reason. It's not as simple as just stopping one man.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#250 » by hookshot199 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:47 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Don't take the fake.

It's very easy to say "move this person here", "Stop that person there", but the fact is we've got a starting five who can all get twenty or thirty points on any given day. And spending resources stopping JJ or Joel will only leave you exposed elsewhere which Tobias, Ben and Jimmy could exploit. This team is one of the top three or so in PPG totals this year for a reason. It's not as simple as just stopping one man.

I don't know how you get a meaningful statistical base to draw any conclusions about our starting five - or even our bench - given the rather small number of games they've played together. But if you go to the raw "team points scored per game" figure, we rank in the top five for the full season. But looking at "opponents points per game", we rank 18th.

So we'll see.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#251 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 9, 2019 4:04 am

To beat the Nets..

Put Ben or Butler on DLo or Dinwiddie. Switch their 1-5 PnR.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 411

Post#252 » by Zumramania » Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:04 pm

This is from recent players' poll by the Athletic. It seems literally no one chose Brett Brown, and this is a bit concerning for me. The poll was anonymous.

EDIT: I see now that Brett is in the 1% category, but this I guess means only one player out of 121 chose him.

10. Which coach, aside from your own, would you want to play for?
(121 votes)

Gregg Popovich (40.9%)
Brad Stevens (10%)
Steve Kerr (7.8%)
Mike D’Antoni (7.4%)
Doc Rivers (7%)
Mike Malone (5.3%)
Quin Snyder (3.3%)
Mike Budenholzer (2.4%)
Kenny Atkinson, David Fizdale (2%)
Terry Stotts, Fred Hoiberg (1.6%)
Alvin Gentry (1.2%)
Dave Joerger, Erik Spoelstra, Rick Carlisle, Brett Brown, Scott Brooks, Phil Jackson, Larry Drew, Dwane Casey (1%)
Steve Clifford (0.5%; split vote)
76ciology
RealGM

Post#253 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:13 pm

Have you read the Spike Eskin piece? Like how he’s saying we could have cost ourselves a chance to the finals with the Tobias and Jimmy trades. It’s outrageous.

He has close ties with Dario and Roco. That is interfering with his logical reasoning
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#254 » by Kobblehead » Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:25 pm

76ciology wrote:Have you read the Spike Eskin piece? Like how he’s saying we could have cost ourselves a chance to the finals with the Tobias and Jimmy trades. It’s outrageous.

He has close ties with Dario and Roco. That is interfering with his logical reasoning

I get the impression that Spike is just a basketball hipster that derives no joy from when the team actually becomes good and is in position to compete for a championship. He'd rather them continue to suck so he could ironically revel in the rock bottom stage.

Read on Twitter

I mean, his podcast rundown alone...

Still talking about Hinkie. Dedicating an entire segment to Jakarrbage. And pondering about us keeping our role players (probably because they were acquired during the basement years he so much misses).
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#255 » by aHealthy3 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:31 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:Have you read the Spike Eskin piece? Like how he’s saying we could have cost ourselves a chance to the finals with the Tobias and Jimmy trades. It’s outrageous.

I get the impression that Spike is just a basketball hipster that derives no joy from when the team actually becomes good and is in position to compete for a championship. He'd rather them continue to suck so he could ironically revel in the rock bottom stage.

Read on Twitter

I mean, his podcast rundown alone...

Still talking about Hinkie. Dedicating an entire segment to Jakarrbage. And pondering about us keeping our role players (probably because they were acquired during the basement years he so much misses).

Yeah, I don't take Spike's opinion for mattering more than a random poster on here. If anything it holds less value to me. He's a process truther who just wants to get hot takes off and has had a vendetta against Jimmy since day 1.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#256 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:40 pm

Zumramania wrote:This is from recent players' poll by the Athletic. It seems literally no one chose Brett Brown, and this is a bit concerning for me. The poll was anonymous.

EDIT: I see now that Brett is in the 1% category, but this I guess means only one player out of 121 chose him.

10. Which coach, aside from your own, would you want to play for?
(121 votes)

Gregg Popovich (40.9%)
Brad Stevens (10%)
Steve Kerr (7.8%)
Mike D’Antoni (7.4%)
Doc Rivers (7%)
Mike Malone (5.3%)
Quin Snyder (3.3%)
Mike Budenholzer (2.4%)
Kenny Atkinson, David Fizdale (2%)
Terry Stotts, Fred Hoiberg (1.6%)
Alvin Gentry (1.2%)
Dave Joerger, Erik Spoelstra, Rick Carlisle, Brett Brown, Scott Brooks, Phil Jackson, Larry Drew, Dwane Casey (1%)
Steve Clifford (0.5%; split vote)

I agree, it is very concerning that one player wants to play for Brett. It tells you that this player doesn't want to win and just wants to inflate his stats, maybe he really thinks he is a good coach if he is a low iq player like a Wiggins.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
walker9
Junior
And1: 429

Post#257 » by walker9 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:00 pm

The real question is, how did Fred Hoiberg get 1.6 percent of votes?
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#258 » by kuclas » Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:12 pm

Meaningless game tonight. Reddick and embiid out.

I guess nba rules don’t allow u to rest all ur starters if healthy.

I think Simmons and Harris need days off as well.
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#259 » by Ben Simmons » Tue Apr 9, 2019 4:31 pm

kuclas wrote:Meaningless game tonight. Reddick and embiid out.

I guess nba rules don’t allow u to rest all ur starters if healthy.

I think Simmons and Harris need days off as well.

Ben Simmons looks just as energetic as he did at the very beginning of the season, so he clearly doesn't need a day off 8-)
Nothing wrong with being a real man....
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#260 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Apr 9, 2019 4:46 pm

Yeah, Simmons has insane durability and conditioning thanks to his amazing genetics.
Great takes since 2024-04-20

Return to Philadelphia 76ers