If we really want to run it back, and we want to use the MLE and BAE, I think the key will be do something that will turn some heads: sign JJ to a 4-year contract. Correct me if I'm way off, but I think JJ can expect to make another $25million over the next 2 or 3 years before retiring, and there are teams out there that will give it to him. But if we give him $10 million or more we won't be able to use both the MLE and BAE because we'll be pushed over the hard cap. But if we give him the $25 million stretched out over 4 years we can fit everything in.
You have to sequence everything correctly to use the MLE/BAE before actually going over the luxury tax, but these are the major things to do (not in the correct order):
1. Sign Jimmy and Tobias to their 5yr max contracts
2. Sign JJ to a 4yr/$25M contract
3. Waive/stretch J.Simmons. This year, that extra breathing room could mean we get a couple 10-day contracts if we need them and still be under the hard cap.
4. Keep Boban ($3M) as 3rd string center and Mike Scott ($4.5M) as 2nd string SF if we can get them for that price.
5. Give Shake Milton a real (but cheap) contract as 3rd string SG behind JJ/Zhaire.
6. That leaves us with 5 remaining holes: backup Center, 2nd and 3rd string PG, 3rd string SF and PF. Fill those using the 1st rd pick, full MLE, full BAE, and then 2nd round picks and/or minimum salary signings. Only two 2nd rd picks/minimum salary guys needed. (One of the minimums could be T.J. coming back as the 3rd string PG, but we really should have someone in the depth chart in front of him.)
All that could put us about $2M over the apron, so need to shave a couple million somewhere. That can be by signing 2nd rd picks for less than we could get a veteran minimum, or not quite using all of the MLE or BAE, or signing Boban/Mike Scott for a bit less, or letting one of those 2 walk and just signing another vet minimum. (In the Capulator link, I assumed we could sign Shake and a 2nd rd pick for under a million each, but there are other ways to do it.)
That's 15 guys. Then two of the 2nd rd picks on 2-way contracts and just enough under the apron to afford two 10-day contracts over the course of the season.
Depth chart could look like this:
Ben / BAE / T.J. (or other vet min)
JJ / Zhaire / Shake
Jimmy / Mike Scott / 2nd Rd Pick
Tobias / 1st Rd Pick / Bolden
Joel / MLE / Boban
(Plus two 2nd rd picks as two-way contracts and salary room for two 10-day contracts)
You can rearrange the BAE, MLE, mins, and draft picks depending on exactly who we can get.