And1: 1,431

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#1081 » by FlyingArrow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Shake SZN approaching.

We need to save enough of the midlevel to sign Shake to a 4 year Hinkie special this summer.

We should sign Shake to a minimum, which doesn't require using the MLE.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#1082 » by FlyingArrow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Tony Franciosa wrote:I don't care about luxury taxes. spend it wisely and I don't care how much over we go. not my money.

the benefit to ownership is potentially playing home games into June and getting extra ticket, parking, concession revenue. maybe not enough to cover the tax payment, but enough to offset the pain a bit?

We can't go into the luxury tax this year because of the repeater tax in the future. It's just not realistic.

This year is the final year we have to avoid the luxury tax. After this year we'll be a tax team for at least 2 years in a row.

That's not a win-now move at all. If we stay below the luxury tax, we're going to have more holes. Re-signing JJ, getting a good backup PG, getting a good backup C, getting a decent backup forward (possibly re-signing Mike Scott). We can't do all of those things while staying below the luxury tax.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#1083 » by smittybanton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:54 pm

with anthony davis in la, and the possibility of horford going to the clippers, demarcus cousins may have trouble finding a lucrative deal. can't see him going back to new orleans or sacramento. if he wants to start for a playoff team, boston might be the only option. but given his defensive liabilities, who knows if the interest would be mutual? if he has to sign another one-year "prove it" deal, i wonder....
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#1084 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:17 am

Read on Twitter

I kinda dig Mo Wagner.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#1085 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:24 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I kinda dig Mo Wagner.

I wouldn't want to help them free up any room until Jimmy is in the fold.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#1086 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I kinda dig Mo Wagner.

Lakers are totally incompetent. This is embarrassing. They gave up a kings ransom and didn't insist on timing the trade properly. Even amateurs like me and half the people on RealGM knew they had to time this deal for 30 days after signing the #4 pick.

Their ONLY advantage is their location. Everything else is trash.

Re: Wagner - I might take him for free, but they need to send him to a team with open cap, which we won't have.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1087 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:08 am

FlyingArrow wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Shake SZN approaching.

We need to save enough of the midlevel to sign Shake to a 4 year Hinkie special this summer.

We should sign Shake to a minimum, which doesn't require using the MLE.

Can't sign to a Hinkie special via the vet min exception. Need to use either cap room or the mid-level. If we sign him to the min it is for 2 years tops then he is an RFA. Better to lock him in for 4 years.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1088 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 am

smittybanton wrote:with anthony davis in la, and the possibility of horford going to the clippers, demarcus cousins may have trouble finding a lucrative deal. can't see him going back to new orleans or sacramento. if he wants to start for a playoff team, boston might be the only option. but given his defensive liabilities, who knows if the interest would be mutual? if he has to sign another one-year "prove it" deal, i wonder....

He's a terrible player. Nowhere near what he was pre-injury and even then he was wildly overrated putting up numbers with no impact on winning.

Couple that with his attitude, and we want to stay FAR away.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1089 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 am

Wonder if Harris leaving would be of any benefit to the Sixers?

Im not against the whole "run it back", but a MAX contract for him could be steep. Wonder if we would possibly be better off signing Butler + 2 cheaper guys for the price of Harris.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1090 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 am

PhilasFinest wrote:Wonder if Harris leaving would be of any benefit to the Sixers?

Im not against the whole "run it back", but a MAX contract for him could be steep. Wonder if we would possibly be better off signing Butler + 2 cheaper guys for the price of Harris.

The problem is we can't. We can go over the cap to sign Harris via Bird Rights. If he walks, we likely need to let everyone else (Redick, Scott, Boban) go also to have enough room to sign 2 decent guys, or just 1 guy like Horford. Then we only have the Room Exception left.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1091 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 am

Checked out capulator. If we renounce everyone except for Butler, we have $30.5M in cap. Maybe we sign Horford for $20M and Redick for the remaining $10.5M to use up the cap room. Then resign Mike Scott (or another swingman) for the Room Exception. Then resign Jimmy w/bird rights. Assume we take Cam Johnson with our 1st round pick. Then resign TJ for the vet min. Sign Shake to the min. Now we have:

PG Redick | TJ | Shake
SG Butler | Smith | ??
SF Simmons | Scott | ??
PF Horford | #24 (Johnson) | ??
CE Embiid | Bolden | ??

Plus #33 and #34 to finish adding cheap backups to the roster. Maybe bring back Kork also. Maybe Ennis also if he signs for the min.

Overall not bad. This team may be better than if we keep Tobias. It will certainly be more cost effective. We may have a chance to avoid the luxury tax next year also.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#1092 » by smittybanton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:03 am

PhilasFinest wrote:Wonder if Harris leaving would be of any benefit to the Sixers?

i thought that at first. Scott is no slouch, plus i would grab tomas satoransky and nikola mirotic, or something like that.

but i've come to understand that there is no down side to overpaying harris because:
a) running it back unlocks the mid level exception, so we could get harris and satoransky/mirotic or someone else. there is also the biannual exception which is about the same amount as the room exception, but i could be mistaken.
b) the market for otto porter and now michael conley suggests harris' contract can be moved if we develop someone to replace him.

by maxxing butler and harris, we have several ways to get even better, while everyone else in the east will be struggling to maintain the same team. we can bring the same squad back, plus add zhaire to the rotation, a bunch of draft picks one of which could be a year one contributor, and a 9m free agent (or split the mle between two).

boston's in trouble. if kawhi leaves, toronto is not the same and danny green and marc gasol may go eslewhere too. i don't think milwaukee is in the same position we're in to pay all of their free agents, as word on the street has them offering to pay to get rid of tony snell.

back to harris, if you stand to make 50m on a real estate project by buying up 10 properties at 1m each, but after 9 acquisitions the 10th demands 5m instead of 1m...you pay it.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#1093 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:10 am

If we lose Harris and JJ, we will be worse next year. Take that to the bank.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#1094 » by Aussiepiston1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 am

Arsenal wrote:Checked out capulator. If we renounce everyone except for Butler, we have $30.5M in cap. Maybe we sign Horford for $20M and Redick for the remaining $10.5M to use up the cap room. Then resign Mike Scott (or another swingman) for the Room Exception. Then resign Jimmy w/bird rights. Assume we take Cam Johnson with our 1st round pick. Then resign TJ for the vet min. Sign Shake to the min. Now we have:

PG Redick | TJ | Shake
SG Butler | Smith | ??
SF Simmons | Scott | ??
CE Embiid | Bolden | ??

Plus #33 and #34 to finish adding cheap backups to the roster. Maybe bring back Kork also. Maybe Ennis also if he signs for the min.

Overall not bad. This team may be better than if we keep Tobias. It will certainly be more cost effective. We may have a chance to avoid the luxury tax next year also.

I'd do something similar except trade for Ersan and the 30th pick, bring JJ (3 year 21mil) Ennis (3 year 15mil) and Horford (3 year 55mil) for slightly cheaper and longer deals.
Let Harris, TJ, Scott and Boban walk.
Pick Mattyse Thybulel 24, Carsen Edawrds 30, Chuma okeke 33, Daniel Gafford 34.

Simmons/Edwards
Redick/Z.Smith/Thybulle
Butler/Ennis/okeke
Horford/Illayasova/Bolden/Okeke
Embiid/Gafford
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1095 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:24 am

Read on Twitter
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1096 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:28 am

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Checked out capulator. If we renounce everyone except for Butler, we have $30.5M in cap. Maybe we sign Horford for $20M and Redick for the remaining $10.5M to use up the cap room. Then resign Mike Scott (or another swingman) for the Room Exception. Then resign Jimmy w/bird rights. Assume we take Cam Johnson with our 1st round pick. Then resign TJ for the vet min. Sign Shake to the min. Now we have:

PG Redick | TJ | Shake
SG Butler | Smith | ??
SF Simmons | Scott | ??
CE Embiid | Bolden | ??

I'd do something similar except trade for Ersan and the 30th pick, bring JJ (3 year 21mil) Ennis (3 year 15mil) and Horford (3 year 55mil) for slightly cheaper and longer deals.
Let Harris, TJ, Scott and Boban walk.
Pick Mattyse Thybulel 24, Carsen Edawrds 30, Chuma okeke 33, Daniel Gafford 34.

Simmons/Edwards
Redick/Z.Smith/Thybulle
Butler/Ennis/okeke
Horford/Illayasova/Bolden/Okeke
Embiid/Gafford

Not sure we can fit Horford ($17M 1st year salary) + Ersan ($7M) + Redick ($6M) into the $30M of cap room. I would assume Redick would get far more than $6M to start. $17M 1st year for Horford could work, as on a 4 year deal w/max raises it would total to around $80M. He could also get more elsewhere though.

I'd do Scott over Ennis w/the Room Exception, but that depends who the team prefers.

Maybe if we did a wink wink deal w/Redick. Then next year we make him whole with more money.

Overall though its not impossible to get Horford and still upgrade, assuming he gets around 4 yrs $80M total.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#1097 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:19 am

Horford will have offers for much higher than $20 million AAV.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#1098 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:39 am

I’m getting a sneaking suspicion that Butler wants to go to the Rockets and we might have to figure out a S&T situation.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#1099 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:51 am

The rumor is that Boston offered him 3/60, and he found out someone was gonna offer him 4/more than 100.

So yeah 20 a year probably wouldn't work.
Zander
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1100 » by Zander » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:54 am

Negrodamus wrote:I’m getting a sneaking suspicion that Butler wants to go to the Rockets and we might have to figure out a S&T situation.

No way he wants to play in that system of James harden, he's not a catch-and-shoot type player.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers