ImageImageImage

Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#201 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:Booker will be a career empty stats player just like KAT.

You mean another future hall of famer who people have unfairly decided to expect to carry a franchise to success while being on their rookie contracts?

These guys are 2-3 years away from being in the correct age range to judge their ability to carry a team. Which is their mid-20s and beyond.

You guys realize that all the MVP candidates and all-NBA players on top seeds are in their late 20s and early 30s, right (with one or two exceptions)?
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#202 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Charlotte is a sub-20 win roster that has been carried to an average of 39 wins per season over the last 4 year stretch of Kemba's breakout. Their actual roster has been terrible for years. What Kemba has done to even get them to flirt with the playoffs is nothing short of amazing.

He deserves a plaque for winning 48 games in 2016 with Nic Batum as his running mate. Someone who would be the 4th, 5th or 6th best player on almost any other playoff team that year.

Whether or not Kemba Walker deserves a plaque or not that's not really the point. The point is the idea that the 76ers offense is the problem is false or at least hugely over-rated. The 76ers not being able to defend is the issue.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,815

Post#203 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

You mean another future hall of famer who people have unfairly decided to expect to carry a franchise to success while being on their rookie contracts?

These guys are 2-3 years away from being in the correct age range to judge their ability to carry a team. Which is their mid-20s and beyond.

You guys realize that all the MVP candidates and all-NBA players on top seeds are in their late 20s and early 30s, right (with one or two exceptions)?

Agree to disagree lol.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#204 » by VDT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Are people seriously discussing paying a 6 feet point guard a max contract in his 30s?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#205 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:15 pm

LloydFree wrote:Whether or not Kemba Walker deserves a plaque or not that's not really the point. The point is the idea that the 76ers offense is the problem is false or at least hugely over-rated. The 76ers not being able to defend is the issue.

The Sixers have a handful of problems. Offensive synergy is surely one of them. The Sixers' defensive problems are largely system-related. We had just as many if not more terrible defenders in our rotation last year under Lloyd Pierce and we were a significantly better defensive team.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#206 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:16 pm

VDT wrote:Are people seriously discussing paying a 6 feet point guard a max contract in his 30s?

As an alternative to paying an even longer contract to an even older player who plays like a relic from the early 2000s? Yup.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#207 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:16 pm

VDT wrote:Are people seriously discussing paying a 6 feet point guard a max contract in his 30s?

I'm not. It shouldn't even be a discussion.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#208 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Whether or not Kemba Walker deserves a plaque or not that's not really the point. The point is the idea that the 76ers offense is the problem is false or at least hugely over-rated. The 76ers not being able to defend is the issue.

The Sixers have a handful of problems. Offensive synergy is surely one of them. The Sixers' defensive problems are largely system-related. We had just as many if not more terrible defenders in our rotation last year under Lloyd Pierce and we were a significantly better defensive team.

I'm sure Lloyd Pierce's departure has a big part in the defensive fall-off. I'm also sure a bigger part is not having Covington or any other personnel that can stay in front of opposing guards.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#209 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Was Covington really solving that problem as much as we're remembering him doing?

I remember us constantly complaining in game threads about him getting cooked whenever we had to play him out of position to defend them.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#210 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Was Covington really solving that problem as much as we're remembering him doing?

I remember us constantly complaining in game threads about him getting cooked whenever we had to play him out of position to defend them.

I don't really know if that was a topic of game threads. But then again I don't read all of them. My recollection is that even last year, the 76ers always struggled against scoring guards and when Brett inevitably got tired of watching us get smoked, he'd switch Covington on to the point guard to get the stops they needed.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#211 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:59 pm

I'd assume that Jimmy Butler is far better suited to defend scoring guards than the relatively slow-footed Robert Covington. Personally, I think our defensive woes lean more on the discrepancy between Pierce and Williams in terms of coaching ability.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#212 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:01 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

Agree to disagree lol.

They are both career losers that only care about stats and don't give a **** about defense. But they're coveted in this new age NBA, which creates artificial rules to boost mediocre players stats.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#213 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 pm

Chris Paul and Mike Conley are career losers. Prided themselves on giving defensive effort.

Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving are NBA champions. Couldn't give a **** about playing defense.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,786

Post#214 » by Negrodamus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm

I think there's more of an existential NBA fan problem here rather than a desire to win in the modern NBA.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#215 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:11 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I'd assume that Jimmy Butler is far better suited to defend scoring guards than the relatively slow-footed Robert Covington. Personally, I think our defensive woes lean more on the discrepancy between Pierce and Williams in terms of coaching ability.

How good was Atlanta's defense this season?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#216 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Curry cares about defense, he just doesn't have the tools to be great. Kyrie won because of Lebron, we saw how bad he was leading Cavs without Lebron. We saw how good Celtics did last year in playoffs without him. Kyrie is a great player to the untrained eye and to the casuals, ratings go through the roofs when he plays.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#217 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Curry cares about defense, he just doesn't have the tools to be great. Kyrie won because of Lebron, we saw how bad he was leading Cavs without Lebron.

Steph dosn't care about defense. He literally avoids any assignment he can. Forcing Klay to defend guys he's supposed to. He just camps out on guys that can't dribble and reaches into passing lanes.

And again lol, why are we judging the ability of a 19-22 year old player to carry a dysfunctional franchise? Kyrie would have gotten the Cavs to the playoffs in due time. Probably by 2016, if I had to approximate.

Also, who made that go-ahead three with less than a minute left in Game 7 to end a 4 minute scoreless streak for the Cavs? That was Kyrie, bro. If it wasn't for Kyrie, LeBron would only have those two rings with Wade and the narrative of his career would be even more marred.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#218 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Chris Paul and Mike Conley are career losers. Prided themselves on giving defensive effort.

Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving are NBA champions. Couldn't give a **** about playing defense.

You're better than this post.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#219 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Chris Paul and Mike Conley are career losers. Prided themselves on giving defensive effort.

Might be a potshot, but it's the truth. Chris Paul, Mike Conley and Jrue Holiday are all defensive guards and they haven't won ****. Let's not pretend that it's some prerequisite for being a winning player.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#220 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Might be a potshot, but it's the truth. Chris Paul, Mike Conley and Jrue Holiday are all defensive guards and they haven't won ****. Let's not pretend that it's some prerequisite for being a winning player.

No it means they haven't played with LeBron James or Kevin Durant. This is the 1st season Kyrie Irving has even played in one (1) playoff game without LeBron James, and he's an 8 year veteran. Get out of here with that.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers