Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#41 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 pm

gdog2004 wrote:Agree on not signing Butler. Certainly not to a MAX. He made a mistake turning down his previous offers, his game has slipped.

Butler didn't make any mistake. He'll get over the 4/110m he turned down, from somebody. Brooklyn or Dallas will give him a 4 year Max without blinking. He'll get his.

In a vacuum, Butler is a very good player deserving of max money. But I don't think I'd pay him the max, on a team that has Embiid and Simmons. Building teams isn't just about collecting top talent regardless of fit. Players have to compliment the top players on the team and there has to be a clear hierarchy. Butler isn't worth 32m per year on a team that has Embiid and Simmons. He's not worth that as a complimentary player. Butler is worth 35 million per year on a team that has D'Angelo Russell and Jarrett Allen, because his skillset would compliment them more. Conversely, Tobias Harris is probably more valuable to the 76ers than he'd be to the Nets. IMO, it's not worth clogging the future flexibility of the team, for an older player who is basically a clunky fitting, role player for this team.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#42 » by gdog2004 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:51 pm

LloydFree wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:Agree on not signing Butler. Certainly not to a MAX. He made a mistake turning down his previous offers, his game has slipped.

Butler didn't make any mistake. He'll get over the 4/110m he turned down, from somebody. Brooklyn or Dallas will give him a 4 year Max without blinking. He'll get his.

In a vacuum, Butler is a very good player deserving of max money. But I don't think I'd pay him the max, on a team that has Embiid and Simmons. Building teams isn't just about collecting top talent regardless of fit. Players have to compliment the top players on the team and there has to be a clear hierarchy. Butler isn't worth 32m per year on a team that has Embiid and Simmons. He's not worth that as a complimentary player. Butler is worth 35 million per year on a team that has D'Angelo Russell and Jarrett Allen, because his skillset would compliment them more. Conversely, Tobias Harris is probably more valuable to the 76ers than he'd be to the Nets. IMO, it's not worth clogging the future flexibility of the team, for an older player who is basically a clunky fitting, role player for this team.

We will see, if he gets a max deal from someone. He is almost 30, on the decline and has locker room issues.
Billy King isn't with the nets anymore so I don't think they make him an offer. I don't think Dallas will either. They have a much younger core with Luka and Kristaps. He is not that good, or if he is, he is not showing it on the Sixers. YET...
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#43 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm

LloydFree wrote:Re-sign Tobias Harris. See If you can get him for 5/125 million, but if you have to go to 150, so be it.

Resist making an offer to Jimmy Butler, but keep the door open for a chance at a sign-and-trade with someone.

I would like JJ Redick back, but I'm no longer married to the idea. If I'm letting Butler go, I may need to renounce Redick's 18 million dollar cap hold to sign a replacement for Butler/Covington. Then try to sign Redick with the MLE.

Free agent targets:

Danny Green
Wes Matthews
Al Farouq Aminu
Noah Vonleh
K Caldwell-Pope

What do you think JJ's market value will be, considering his age and recent play?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#44 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Re-sign Tobias Harris. See If you can get him for 5/125 million, but if you have to go to 150, so be it.

Resist making an offer to Jimmy Butler, but keep the door open for a chance at a sign-and-trade with someone.

I would like JJ Redick back, but I'm no longer married to the idea. If I'm letting Butler go, I may need to renounce Redick's 18 million dollar cap hold to sign a replacement for Butler/Covington. Then try to sign Redick with the MLE.

Free agent targets:

Danny Green
Wes Matthews
Al Farouq Aminu
Noah Vonleh
K Caldwell-Pope

What do you think JJ's market value will be, considering his age and recent play?

I think he'll demand and receive the Full MLE, possibly for 2 years, from some team in the league. Redick's value is inflated due to how he's looked next to Embiid. Similar to how overvalued Mirotic has become by playing off Anthony Davis. Teams will pay more for shooting than they will for defense, so he'll make his money.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#45 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm

LloydFree wrote:

No-one is gonna beat Golden State or the very top teams without having as much talent as possible. The days or "three stars are enough" are over. Unless you're gonna bring In Kawhi to replace Butler, getting rid of him would be stupid beyond belief. Isn't Jimmy our second top scorer this season? And folks want to talk about "complimentary player"? Also who would be this teams closer without Jimmy? Who else on this squad has won games on his own late like Jimmy has at least three times since he arrived? "Forum Gm's" don't seem to think about the big picture, they see the money he'd be getting paid and somehow pretend that it's their own money they are spending :roll: .

We're currently in a position where keeping this team together for next year could lead us to a championship, but yall are greedy and always seem to think that "something else" would be better. Until that something else sees us bounced out the playoffs early again and then it's "tear it down" and rinse and repeat.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#46 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Free agent targets:

Danny Green
Wes Matthews
Al Farouq Aminu
Noah Vonleh
K Caldwell-Pope

I think he'll demand and receive the Full MLE, possibly for 2 years, from some team in the league. Redick's value is inflated due to how he's looked next to Embiid. Similar to how overvalued Mirotic has become by playing off Anthony Davis. Teams will pay more for shooting than they will for defense, so he'll make his money.

That's reasonable. I wonder if he would take less from us, considering how much we paid him over the last 2 seasons. Something like 2-year, $12-14 mil? If we re-signed him and Butler, we could then use the full MLE on one of the guys you mentioned. We could definitely use an upgrade defensively in the starting lineup.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#47 » by sixers hoops » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Free agent targets:

Danny Green
Wes Matthews
Al Farouq Aminu
Noah Vonleh
K Caldwell-Pope

Pretty good plan. I’m struggling to wrap my mind around Butler. If you think Jimmy is marginally better than a Danny Green type for this roster, and we can get a Danny Green for 15 mill or Jimmy for 35, I’m almost tempted to just pay 35 mill to get the better player. I don’t think Jimmy is going to be worth what we will have to pay him, but he may be the best player we can get. Tough call.

I would love to get Kawhi or Durant, and re-sign Tobias so we don’t have to make the tough decision on Jimmy. Lol
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#48 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:01 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

That's reasonable. I wonder if he would take less from us, considering how much we paid him over the last 2 seasons. Something like 2-year, $12-14 mil? If we re-signed him and Butler, we could then use the full MLE on one of the guys you mentioned. We could definitely use an upgrade defensively in the starting lineup.

I think we could get him for a little less. The MLE is only about 10 million. The problem is, Redick may not be their 1st priority, so while they're courting Kawhi or trying lure a Danny Green into their cap space, Redick may do an Illyasova, and sign a multi-year contract elsewhere, while we're trying to set up the team. I think he'd take the MLE, but he may not want to take the chance of waiting to see how we use our space.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#49 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 pm

sixers hoops wrote:

Free agent targets:

Danny Green
Wes Matthews
Al Farouq Aminu
Noah Vonleh
K Caldwell-Pope

Pretty good plan. I’m struggling to wrap my mind around Butler. If you think Jimmy is marginally better than a Danny Green type for this roster, and we can get a Danny Green for 15 mill or Jimmy for 35, I’m almost tempted to just pay 35 mill to get the better player. I don’t think Jimmy is going to be worth what we will have to pay him, but he may be the best player we can get. Tough call.

I would love to get Kawhi or Durant, and re-sign Tobias so we don’t have to make the tough decision on Jimmy. Lol

Id agree with you on preferring Jimmy Butler, the talent, at 35 million per, over Danny Green. But I'm afraid that the way Butler is marginalized alongside Embiid and Simmons, would ultimately submarine his value and make him nearly un-trade-able.

Next year is probably not a huge issue, because Simmons' extension won't kick in until the following season, but having 120 million tied up in 4 players and likely having at least a 150 million dollar payroll in '20-21 will hamstring the team from making improvements or adjustments if they aren't already a championship team. And as much as fans don't care about the luxury tax, the owners do, so we'd likely be in a situation where we would be scrambling to shed salary at trade deadlines, instead of trying to improve the team in the next two years. I don't know that I believe Butler provides enough value to be worth the potential salary issues.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#50 » by eagereyez » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 am

The Sixers are 100% going to do whatever they have to do in order to re-sign Butler. Whether or not that is the best option is another question altogether. Personally, I think the PG who can't shoot past 5 ft. is a bigger fit issue with Embiid than Butler.
strotorious
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#51 » by strotorious » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:13 am

I have little doubt that some other team will offer Butler the full 4 year max. The Knicks in particular, if when they miss out on their main targets, will go hard after the next tier and say that was the plan all along. I wouldn't go five years full max, but if matching or slightly topping the four year max is enough to keep him then I'd do it and wouldn't look back.

That leaves us with the starting five intact plus Bolden and Smith. From there we have Bird rights on pretty much everyone, the MLE, and several draft picks to fill out the rest of the bench. There's no need to over-complicate it
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#52 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:40 am

4/140 for Butler and let the 4th year be a player option.
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#53 » by BB_Fan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:51 pm

I would like to see playoff progress before making any decision

1) If we reach ECF finals 76ers should keep the big four intact and try to add pieces to improve bench and defense.

2) If 76ers exit second round then they should break the big 4.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,825

Post#54 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 pm

BB_Fan wrote:I would like to see playoff progress before making any decision

1) If we reach ECF finals 76ers should keep the big four intact and try to add pieces to improve bench and defense.

I dont get this line of thinking. After all the trades this team has had less than 30 games together. That is a quick judgment of what it looks like. Resign them and you have a full offseason and training camp. With that you'll see a ot more fluidity next season.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
kingerzz
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#55 » by kingerzz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:51 am

76ers Offseason situation

Projected Cap
2019/20 Cap - $109,000,000; Tax - $132,000,000; Apron - $138,000,000
2020/21 Cap - $118,000,000; Tax - $143,000,000; Apron - $149,000,000

Locked in Cap (19/20)

Embiid - $27,504,630
Harris (cap hold) - $22,200,00
Simmons - $8,111,930
J.Simmons - $1,000,000 (bought out)
Smith - $3,058,800
Ennis* - $1,845,301
Bolden - $1,698,450
Incomplete roster charge (up to 12 (6 * $831,311)) - $4,156,555
Total - $67,445,974

*Player option (assume he opts in)

Total available cap space assuming Butler isn’t signed is approximately $41,554,026.

Re-sign Tobias Harris to whatever you can (likely max - using bird rights)

Cap Space Options

Roster before additions;

Embiid, Bolden
Harris
Ennis
Smith
Simmons

Signing Durant/Khawhi Max (35%) - $38,150,000

Assume used the difference to sign Patton beforehand, sign Milton to the minimum.

As unlikely as it is signing Durant/Khawhi leaves you paper thin on the bench. However you would have the room mid-level exception (“RMLE”) ($4.45M - 2 year contracts) available.

Embiid, Bolden, Patton
Durant/Khawhi,
Harris, Milton
Ennis, Smith
Simmons

Leaves RMLE, 1st Rd, 2nd Rd (multiple) & veteran minimum required to fill out remaining 6 roster spots. Unlikely Redick re-signs for the RMLE.

Potential RMLE options;

Beverly
Lamb
Scott
Mbah a Moute
Tolliver
Dedmon
Joseph

You simply sign Durant/Khawhi if they want to, they’re that good. No other player is worth signing over Butler and operating as an over the cap team especially if the owner’s are willing to pay the tax.

Bench Depth (Using the cap space to sign 3-5 role players)

Available cap space - $40,554,026
Re-sign Redick 2-3 years 8-12M per year
Potential Free Agents Signings;

Morris (either)
Green
Temple
J.Green
Aminu
Bogdanovic
Evans
Carrol
Ariza
Johnson
Lamb

Potential RMLE options;

Beverly
Lamb
Scott
Mbah a Moute
Tolliver
Dedmon
Ellington

I don’t think this would be the best option. Plenty of teams with cap space and it’ll be likely you’ll need to overpay these guys to get them anyway. Also, there’s no guarantee you’ll sign 2-3 of them.

Retaining Jimmy Butler

Operating as an over the cap team has its advantages as it pertains to building depth. It allows you to bring back all the guys on the existing team (bird rights) plus use the exceptions to add depth. The 76ers would have the non-taxpayer mid-level exception ($8.64M - 4 year contract) plus the Bi-annual exception ($3.38M - 2 year contracts) available if they remain below the apron ($138,000,000).

Potential Squad;

Embiid (27.5), Marjanovic (4), Patton (3)
Harris* (32.7), Scott (4), Bolden (1.7)
Butler** (38.15), Ennis (1.8)
Redick (10), Smith (3.06), Milton (1.4)
Simmons (8.1), McConnell (2)

*30% max
**35% max

Assuming the above numbers puts you at $137.4M about $5.4M above the tax before using the final two roster spots. This means you’d be only allowed to use the Taxpayer mid-level exception ($5.34M - 3 year contracts) as using the full MLE would take you over the Apron and would be illegal. Might be able to us the full MLE & Bi-annual if you can get Butler, Redick and Harris to take less. Using these exceptions (MLE & Bi-annual) means the team would be hard capped at $138,000,000 for the 2019/20 season.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#56 » by BB_Fan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:23 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:I would like to see playoff progress before making any decision

I dont get this line of thinking. After all the trades this team has had less than 30 games together. That is a quick judgment of what it looks like. Resign them and you have a full offseason and training camp. With that you'll see a ot more fluidity next season.

If the team cannot make it past second round then there are two reasons

1) it seems the players don't complement each other
2) coach is not able to make adjustments to maximize the talent.

With the four top 15 players who are all stars and are going to earn 25M contracts, it is time for them to show their worth. They big 4 are all star NBA players and need to take over a game and learn to play with each other quickly. They are not rookies who need pre season.

If you exit second round it is better to trade one of big 4 for complementary pieces to strengthen bench, 3 point shooters and defence on the perimeter.
BB_Fan
Junior

Post#57 » by BB_Fan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 am

kingerzz wrote:76ers Offseason situation

Projected Cap

Locked in Cap (19/20)

Embiid - $27,504,630
Simmons - $8,111,930
Smith - $3,058,800
Ennis* - $1,845,301
Bolden - $1,698,450
Total - $67,445,974

Total available cap space assuming Butler isn’t signed is approximately $41,554,026.

Cap Space Options

Roster before additions;

Embiid, Bolden
Harris
Ennis
Smith
Simmons

Assume used the difference to sign Patton beforehand, sign Milton to the minimum.

As unlikely as it is signing Durant/Khawhi leaves you paper thin on the bench. However you would have the room mid-level exception (“RMLE”) ($4.45M - 2 year contracts) available.

Embiid, Bolden, Patton
Durant/Khawhi,
Harris, Milton
Ennis, Smith
Simmons

Leaves RMLE, 1st Rd, 2nd Rd (multiple) & veteran minimum required to fill out remaining 6 roster spots. Unlikely Redick re-signs for the RMLE.

Potential RMLE options;

Beverly
Lamb
Scott
Mbah a Moute
Tolliver
Dedmon
Joseph

You simply sign Durant/Khawhi if they want to, they’re that good. No other player is worth signing over Butler and operating as an over the cap team especially if the owner’s are willing to pay the tax.

Morris (either)
Green
Temple
J.Green
Aminu
Bogdanovic
Evans
Carrol
Ariza
Johnson
Lamb

Potential RMLE options;

Beverly
Lamb
Scott
Mbah a Moute
Tolliver
Dedmon
Ellington

I don’t think this would be the best option. Plenty of teams with cap space and it’ll be likely you’ll need to overpay these guys to get them anyway. Also, there’s no guarantee you’ll sign 2-3 of them.

Retaining Jimmy Butler

Operating as an over the cap team has its advantages as it pertains to building depth. It allows you to bring back all the guys on the existing team (bird rights) plus use the exceptions to add depth. The 76ers would have the non-taxpayer mid-level exception ($8.64M - 4 year contract) plus the Bi-annual exception ($3.38M - 2 year contracts) available if they remain below the apron ($138,000,000).

Potential Squad;

*30% max
**35% max

Assuming the above numbers puts you at $137.4M about $5.4M above the tax before using the final two roster spots. This means you’d be only allowed to use the Taxpayer mid-level exception ($5.34M - 3 year contracts) as using the full MLE would take you over the Apron and would be illegal. Might be able to us the full MLE & Bi-annual if you can get Butler, Redick and Harris to take less. Using these exceptions (MLE & Bi-annual) means the team would be hard capped at $138,000,000 for the 2019/20 season.

76ers have 4 SRP and one FRP in the weak 2019 draft. You need to add them to roster.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#58 » by 76ciology » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:19 am

I don’t know how Butler is not a good complimentary player on this team..

When our best 3 man line-up is Butler-JJ-Biid. While Butler-Biid is the best duo after JJ-Biid.

I’d max Butler. I have a feeling this team will drop off if we let Butler go. Based on numbers, he’s probably the 2nd or 3rd most important player on the team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#59 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:27 am

76ciology wrote:I don’t know how Butler is not a good complimentary player on this team..

When our best 3 man line-up is Butler-JJ-Biid. While Butler-Biid is the best duo after JJ-Biid.

I’d max Butler. I have a feeling this team will drop off if we let Butler go. Based on numbers, he’s probably the 2nd or 3rd most important player on the team.

It's because of defense and the lack of a another defensive option when he sits. Covington had the same effect on lineups That doesn't mean he deserved the max anymore than Covington or JJ Redick deserve the max. It means the 76ers need to get someone who can defend the perimeter, if Butler signs elsewhere.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#60 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 am

BB_Fan wrote:
kingerzz wrote:76ers Offseason situation

Projected Cap

Locked in Cap (19/20)

Embiid - $27,504,630
Simmons - $8,111,930
Smith - $3,058,800
Ennis* - $1,845,301
Bolden - $1,698,450
Total - $67,445,974

Cap Space Options

Roster before additions;

Embiid, Bolden
Harris
Ennis
Smith
Simmons

Embiid, Bolden, Patton
Durant/Khawhi,
Harris, Milton
Ennis, Smith
Simmons

Potential RMLE options;

Beverly
Lamb
Scott
Mbah a Moute
Tolliver
Dedmon
Joseph

Morris (either)
Green
Temple
J.Green
Aminu
Bogdanovic
Evans
Carrol
Ariza
Johnson
Lamb

Potential RMLE options;

Beverly
Lamb
Scott
Mbah a Moute
Tolliver
Dedmon
Ellington

Retaining Jimmy Butler

Potential Squad;

*30% max
**35% max

76ers have 4 SRP and one FRP in the weak 2019 draft. You need to add them to roster.

The first round pick and at least one of the second round picks will make the roster, but not all of the second round picks will make it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers