Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#81 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm

If I'm going to waste time in Restricted Free agency, I'm not wasting that time on Terry Rozier. Malcolm Brogden or D'Angelo Russell would be worth it, but I don't think the 76ers could create the space and fill the roster.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#82 » by Sixerscan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Talking about buy-low candidates, Terry Rozier. He's a perfect fit in our offense, we have a surplus of playmaking coming from our forward and center rotation, which is Rozier's weak spot. With his quick trigger from three and ability to shoot off the dribble we add another dimension to our offense and defensively he's a huge upgrade over McConnell.

Buy low = $15-20 million a year? That’s probably what it would take.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#83 » by Kolkmania » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:19 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:Talking about buy-low candidates, Terry Rozier. He's a perfect fit in our offense, we have a surplus of playmaking coming from our forward and center rotation, which is Rozier's weak spot. With his quick trigger from three and ability to shoot off the dribble we add another dimension to our offense and defensively he's a huge upgrade over McConnell.

Should have said potential buy-low candidate. If someone is willing to pay 15-20 million dollars for a 6'1'' guard with a ~50 TS% and barely any playmaking skills then it's obviously a big pass.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#84 » by Sixerscan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:58 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Should have said potential buy-low candidate. If someone is willing to pay 15-20 million dollars for a 6'1'' guard with a ~50 TS% and barely any playmaking skills then it's obviously a big pass.

Yeah I think if it was much lower than that Boston would match and figure the money out. Could see someone like Phoenix, Orlando, Chicago giving him a pretty big offer sheet.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#85 » by the_process » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:09 am

I was just playing with numbers on Capulator.

If they: re-sign Butler @ 5-162, re-sign Tobias @ 5-160, re-sign JJ @ 2-21, bring over Pasecniks, max extend Ben, then use both their MLE and the BAE... they would be slightly in the tax for 19-20. And then owe a colossal 67M tax bill for 20-21. Which I believe would be the 2nd highest single season tax bill in league history behind that insane 90M BKN paid in 13-14.

Point being I don't believe Josh Harris will okay that kind of bill unless the team gets to the Finals this year. Even then it's sketchy.
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#86 » by papajoe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:03 am

the_process wrote:I was just playing with numbers on Capulator.

If they: re-sign Butler @ 5-162, re-sign Tobias @ 5-160, re-sign JJ @ 2-21, bring over Pasecniks, max extend Ben, then use both their MLE and the BAE... they would be slightly in the tax for 19-20. And then owe a colossal 67M tax bill for 20-21. Which I believe would be the 2nd highest single season tax bill in league history behind that insane 90M BKN paid in 13-14.

Point being I don't believe Harris will okay that kind of bill unless the team gets to the Finals this year. Even then it's sketchy.

Idea has to be to resign Butler and trade him into next season ala Griffin.
the_process
RealGM

Post#87 » by the_process » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:44 pm

papajoe wrote:

Point being I don't believe Harris will okay that kind of bill unless the team gets to the Finals this year. Even then it's sketchy.

That's the only way to justify maxing Butler out. Same goes for Harris. But it's a huge risk that they aren't immediately bad contracts.

Now if they both take 5-150 deals, that's a different story.
the_process
RealGM

Post#88 » by the_process » Fri Apr 5, 2019 1:29 pm

the_process wrote:
papajoe wrote:

That's the only way to justify maxing Butler out. Same goes for Harris. But it's a huge risk that they aren't immediately bad contracts.

Now if they both take 5-150 deals, that's a different story.

The League Office Rejects need to seriously re-evaluate the makeup of this roster and coaching staff as a whole, as well as the future of every individual on it; save Jo. He is the only, and I mean only, constant.

They are going to be fighting with sunk cost until both Jimmy and Tobias have signed. There needs to be a definitive line in the sand they will not cross with both.

And unless they are operating as an over the cap team, JJ should not be retained.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#89 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:52 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Why would you want a sub-50% TS guy at any figure?

Terry Rozier is a legit bad basketball player, to me.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#90 » by Kolkmania » Mon Apr 8, 2019 7:18 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Buy low = $15-20 million a year? That’s probably what it would take.

Because of the situation we've maneuvered ourselves in. We need creative ways to create value guys, because we've squandered so many assets. Going for the obvious guys will always result in overpays in FA.

About the player specifically, Rozier is not a PG. He's a shotmaker who has some tenacity on the defensive end. Any team that signs him with the thought that he's going to be your primary playmaker, is due to a rough awakening.
With Embiid, Simmons and even Butler and Harris, you need someone who can shoot off the dribble and space the floor. With his versatility on the defensive end he's a perfect fit for us imo.

So if the league is still relatively high on him, its a pass for me. If he has hurt himself enough that the Suns and Magic (for example) are not interested in him anymore, then there's a possibility for a value contract.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#91 » by Sixerscan » Mon Apr 8, 2019 7:39 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Because of the situation we've maneuvered ourselves in. We need creative ways to create value guys, because we've squandered so many assets. Going for the obvious guys will always result in overpays in FA.

About the player specifically, Rozier is not a PG. He's a shotmaker who has some tenacity on the defensive end. Any team that signs him with the thought that he's going to be your primary playmaker, is due to a rough awakening.
With Embiid, Simmons and even Butler and Harris, you need someone who can shoot off the dribble and space the floor. With his versatility on the defensive end he's a perfect fit for us imo.

So if the league is still relatively high on him, its a pass for me. If he has hurt himself enough that the Suns and Magic (for example) are not interested in him anymore, then there's a possibility for a value contract.

The issue is he’s restricted so if you get him on a cheap offer sheet, Boston will probably just match. That’s even if you could get him to sign, he might just take his QO at that point and do unrestricted free agency next year.

It’s a good general idea, but just a bad candidate.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#92 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:01 pm

What kind of contract is Nerlens looking at this offseason? I'd take him back in a second if we could get him on a reasonable deal. Getting a decent guard is probably a bigger priority, but man would he be a huge upgrade over what we have.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#93 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:36 pm

I'd much rather have Richaun Holmes back. At least he can score.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#94 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I'd much rather have Richaun Holmes back. At least he can score.

:-?
Seriously?
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#95 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:22 pm

Kcp put up 30 plus points yesterday. Is he the man to replace JJ In the summer? Or is Lamb, Bullock or Ross a better option?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#96 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:24 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I'd much rather have Richaun Holmes back. At least he can score.

:-?
Seriously?

Nerlens sucks and Brett Brown hates him.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#97 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:38 pm

Sign Mario Hezonja for the minimum, we need any bench help we can find. Saw his last 2 games, he ran the point and looked better than TJ to me.
Horrible takes since 2016
Hampton
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#98 » by Hampton » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:54 pm

The number one and first priority is to go after Kawhi Leonard!!! If we get him you can add pieces to the bench.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#99 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:54 pm

Nerlens has been excellent this year, but I also don't think he'd have any interest in returning to the Sixers. I'd love to have him. He's the type of guy that could pester a Giannis.
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#100 » by aHealthy3 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 1:54 pm

Offer sheet for Tomas Satoransky. Both cheaper and better at basketball than Rozier.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers