Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#901 » by Kolkmania » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:15 pm

What a summer, so much uncertainty.

Butler showed his extra gear in the PO which makes it easier for me to commit to him. His lack of three point shooting makes him a questionable fit with both Embiid and Simmons on the court. I like his role as a secondary PG with a bench unit though.

Harris really disappointed me tbh. I expect his 3PT% to improve to his standards, but his inability to comfortably shoot off movement surprised me.

So in a vacuum I'm not thrilled about either one of them. The alternative however is signing one of them (or none) and try to complement our stars with U/RFA's. Really hard to acquire value contracts in FA and even nearly impossible to acquire guys with the skill set we desperately need (shooting off dribble, playmaking in half court).

Therefore I'd try to resign both of them. Question then is, do we give Butler that 5th year (ugh) and what do we do if one (or both of them) walk.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,554

Post#902 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:12 pm

Spoiler:
Kolkmania wrote:What a summer, so much uncertainty.

Butler showed his extra gear in the PO which makes it easier for me to commit to him. His lack of three point shooting makes him a questionable fit with both Embiid and Simmons on the court. I like his role as a secondary PG with a bench unit though.

Harris really disappointed me tbh. I expect his 3PT% to improve to his standards, but his inability to comfortably shoot off movement surprised me.

So in a vacuum I'm not thrilled about either one of them. The alternative however is signing one of them (or none) and try to complement our stars with U/RFA's. Really hard to acquire value contracts in FA and even nearly impossible to acquire guys with the skill set we desperately need (shooting off dribble, playmaking in half court).

Therefore I'd try to resign both of them. Question then is, do we give Butler that 5th year (ugh) and what do we do if one (or both of them) walk.

Give Butler the 5th year. Run a “roll out of bed and be a championship contender” type team for the next 5 years while projecting Tobias, Ben and Biid’s improvement will compensate for any decline Jimmy will have in the next 5 years.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#903 » by youngcrev » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:18 pm

I think they're going to bring everyone back and use as much of the MLE as they can without going into the tax so that they avoid some of the repeater tax implications down the line.
MambaJuice
Junior
And1: 194

Post#904 » by MambaJuice » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:17 pm

I'm in the run it back camp. Give Jimmy the 5th year, consequences be damned. It's like Chris Paul's situation in Houston, you know he's going to flame out by the end of the contract but the window is open now. This team was one bounce of the ball from potentially facing a depleted Warriors team in the finals.

If Kawhi is going out West, I'm all the more inclined to keep the team together. Not overly concerned about a Brooklyn or NY "superteam" at the moment.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#905 » by Kova » Fri Jun 7, 2019 8:06 pm

I think Kawhi is staying in Toronto. I read somewhere that he is expected to sign a short-term deal, and that he bought the house there..
Also, my gut feeling is he will stay.

I'd love us to get Butler and Klay, that would be an A+ off-season. But Klay is just a dream I guess. It will be hell of a summer.
Kyre looks like the deal with the Nets is all but done (they are even clearing cap space for him), and there are bunch of question marks still around KD and AD situations.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#906 » by PhillyFan11 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 8:58 pm

Call me crazy but I still don’t think Jimmy and Ben is a championship winning backcourt duo. If we are going to sign Jimmy for a 5 year max I almost feel like you gave to trade Ben because of the spacing issue we all know about. But personally Id be more willing to put my $ on Ben over the next 5 years over Jimmy...
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#907 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Jun 7, 2019 9:03 pm

If the Nets sign Kyrie and Jimmy together, do the Sixers make an offer to D. Russell?

Team him up with Ben and try to re-sign Tobias still?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#908 » by sixers4real » Fri Jun 7, 2019 9:43 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:Call me crazy but I still don’t think Jimmy and Ben is a championship winning backcourt duo. If we are going to sign Jimmy for a 5 year max I almost feel like you gave to trade Ben because of the spacing issue we all know about. But personally Id be more willing to put my $ on Ben over the next 5 years over Jimmy...

okay so what you this offseason as a GM?
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
PhillyFan11
Rookie

Post#909 » by PhillyFan11 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 11:57 pm

sixers4real wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:Call me crazy but I still don’t think Jimmy and Ben is a championship winning backcourt duo. If we are going to sign Jimmy for a 5 year max I almost feel like you gave to trade Ben because of the spacing issue we all know about. But personally Id be more willing to put my $ on Ben over the next 5 years over Jimmy...

I actually posted it on the last page lol.Just my opinion of course, not claiming to have all the answers.

But we all know Ben’s shooting deficiencies...Jimmy is a ball dominant guard, he’s not bad at it, but spot up shooter is not his strong suit. Ben is also ball dominant and obviously no where remotely close to a spot up shooter. Not saying it can’t work to a successful season, but come playoff time I’m not a terribly confident there will be any changes in our offense. Personally I’d pick 1 or the other as the ball dominant guy in the offense and I’m more willing to bet on Ben’s progression vs Jimmy’s regression over the next 5 years.
nycphils
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#910 » by nycphils » Sat Jun 8, 2019 12:42 pm

I don’t know how you can look at what has happened in the playoffs and not believe that the highest probability of bringing home a championship is to simply run it back - in spite of the cap risks.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,335

Post#911 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jun 8, 2019 2:47 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:If the Nets sign Kyrie and Jimmy together, do the Sixers make an offer to D. Russell?

If Butler leaves that should be their target as Russell is used to playing off ball with Dinwiddie and Levert and is a high volume 3 pt shooter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#912 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:10 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:If the Nets sign Kyrie and Jimmy together, do the Sixers make an offer to D. Russell?

I'd make a strong offer to D'Angelo Russell, regardless of what Jimmy Butler's decision. He's a better offensive fit and his cap # wouldn't lock the 76ers up the way 190 to a 30 year old would.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#913 » by Monix » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:19 pm

what would the cap look like in the scenario where Butler bolts and the renounce JJ's cap hold?
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#914 » by youngcrev » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:24 pm

Monix wrote:what would the cap look like in the scenario where Butler bolts and the renounce JJ's cap hold?

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=13822342555cd9ae3d10c11805053207

Renouncing everyone but Tobias and waiving/stretching Jonathon Simmons leaves you with: $37,673,728
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#915 » by cool93 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 7:18 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

I actually posted it on the last page lol.Just my opinion of course, not claiming to have all the answers.

But we all know Ben’s shooting deficiencies...Jimmy is a ball dominant guard, he’s not bad at it, but spot up shooter is not his strong suit. Ben is also ball dominant and obviously no where remotely close to a spot up shooter. Not saying it can’t work to a successful season, but come playoff time I’m not a terribly confident there will be any changes in our offense. Personally I’d pick 1 or the other as the ball dominant guy in the offense and I’m more willing to bet on Ben’s progression vs Jimmy’s regression over the next 5 years.

Simmons is the problem on offence, not Butler, not anyone else. Only Simmons. So it's either he actually puts in work to shoot better, or we need to get rid of him. Letting Butler go cause he isn't a perfect fit with Ben is stupid, cause nobody is perfect fit with a player who doesn't shoot the ball.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#916 » by youngcrev » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:21 pm

cool93 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:okay so what you this offseason as a GM?

Simmons is the problem on offence, not Butler, not anyone else. Only Simmons. So it's either he actually puts in work to shoot better, or we need to get rid of him. Letting Butler go cause he isn't a perfect fit with Ben is stupid, cause nobody is perfect fit with a player who doesn't shoot the ball.

Figuring out what to do with Ben in the halfcourt is an issue, but it's not exactly like this team had trouble scoring the ball. Ben's defense and transition offense are valuable to the team.
PhillyFan11
Rookie

Post#917 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 9:33 pm

cool93 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:okay so what you this offseason as a GM?

Simmons scored 17 points a game shooting 50% from the field as a 22 year old. Let's not lose site of that. Of course he needs to improve/develop a shot. But Jimmy Butler isn't a very good or willing shooter either. What happens in 2-3 years when he loses a step and can't get to the basket as easily? Like I said, it makes a whole lot more sense to bet on Ben's development vs Jimmy beating father time on a 5 year deal...or at least to me.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,842

Post#918 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Jun 8, 2019 9:36 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
cool93 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

Simmons scored 17 points a game shooting 50% from the field as a 22 year old. Let's not lose site of that. Of course he needs to improve/develop a shot. But Jimmy Butler isn't a very good or willing shooter either. What happens in 2-3 years when he loses a step and can't get to the basket as easily? Like I said, it makes a whole lot more sense to bet on Ben's development vs Jimmy beating father time on a 5 year deal...or at least to me.

Give me Jimmy 100% of the time. Ben actively hurts the offense. He isn't even neutral at this point, completely negative. I have zero faith in him ever becoming a competent or willing shooter.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,554

Post#919 » by 76ciology » Sun Jun 9, 2019 4:38 am

Jimmy won’t be asked to play alpha on this team. He can be in cruise control to conserve his energy.

35 isn’t 53. You can still be very good if you take care of your body and knows how to manage your energy.

For instance Steve Nash, he was still a star player when he was 35. At the PG position. He was able to maintain it by taking care of his body and not playing defense to conserve his energy.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,612

Post#920 » by Slacktard » Sun Jun 9, 2019 11:49 am

76ciology wrote:Jimmy won’t be asked to play alpha on this team. He can be in cruise control to conserve his energy.

35 isn’t 53. You can still be very good if you take care of your body and knows how to manage your energy.

For instance Steve Nash, he was still a star player when he was 35. At the PG position. He was able to maintain it by taking care of his body and not playing defense to conserve his energy.

Steve Nash didn't have that much athleticism to lose. He was used to playing with the skills he had and those skills didn't fade that much as he got older because he didn't have as much to lose as much more athletic players.

Similar to say John Stockton or Andre Miller.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers