Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#921 » by USWAY » Sun Jun 9, 2019 12:43 pm

Slacktard wrote:
76ciology wrote:Jimmy won’t be asked to play alpha on this team. He can be in cruise control to conserve his energy.

35 isn’t 53. You can still be very good if you take care of your body and knows how to manage your energy.

For instance Steve Nash, he was still a star player when he was 35. At the PG position. He was able to maintain it by taking care of his body and not playing defense to conserve his energy.

Steve Nash didn't have that much athleticism to lose. He was used to playing with the skills he had and those skills didn't fade that much as he got older because he didn't have as much to lose as much more athletic players.

Similar to say John Stockton or Andre Miller.

Jimmy is definitely a guy who doesn't completely rely on his athleticism to play the either, though. He already plays an old man game.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#922 » by mjkvol » Sun Jun 9, 2019 1:07 pm

We can overthink this to death, but my feeling is that you offer Butler and Harris the max as soon as FA opens, with the only possible other option being Butler and a run at Russell. We were this close to beating the the team that will be the champs on Monday, and running it back with a full season to mesh seems like the logical (and safer) way to go.

Add some shooting and a backup big in the draft, hope for Zhaire, Shake, and Bolden to take the next step and Ben to come back with a shred of a perimeter game, and away we go. Yeah, a lot of "ifs", but any other option is wrought with incredible risk.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#923 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Jun 9, 2019 4:17 pm

mjkvol wrote:We can overthink this to death, but my feeling is that you offer Butler and Harris the max as soon as FA opens, with the only possible other option being Butler and a run at Russell. We were this close to beating the the team that will be the champs on Monday, and running it back with a full season to mesh seems like the logical (and safer) way to go.

Add some shooting and a backup big in the draft, hope for Zhaire, Shake, and Bolden to take the next step and Ben to come back with a shred of a perimeter game, and away we go. Yeah, a lot of "ifs", but any other option is wrought with incredible risk.

While there could be a lot of "If's", I do not think this seems unreasonable or unattainable.

-A full off-season and trading camp together should improve the chemistry and cohesion of the team.
-A full off-season and training camp together should improve communication on defensive concepts and offensive sets. More player specific sets/plays can be implemented with actual time to practice and execute.
-Each player listed should improve based on another year of experience and a full off-season to work on their roles.
-With 5 draft picks and just min signings, we should be able to target role specific players to improve the bench/depth.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#924 » by 76ciology » Sun Jun 9, 2019 5:48 pm

USWAY wrote:
Slacktard wrote:
76ciology wrote:Jimmy won’t be asked to play alpha on this team. He can be in cruise control to conserve his energy.

35 isn’t 53. You can still be very good if you take care of your body and knows how to manage your energy.

For instance Steve Nash, he was still a star player when he was 35. At the PG position. He was able to maintain it by taking care of his body and not playing defense to conserve his energy.

Steve Nash didn't have that much athleticism to lose. He was used to playing with the skills he had and those skills didn't fade that much as he got older because he didn't have as much to lose as much more athletic players.

Similar to say John Stockton or Andre Miller.

Jimmy is definitely a guy who doesn't completely rely on his athleticism to play the either, though. He already plays an old man game.

Yeah Jimmy plays an old man game. He looked good playing with us when smaller defenders would be on him since their big wings are busy manning up Ben and Tobi. He is elite in creating space with his forearms or his subtle kick :wink:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#925 » by mjkvol » Sun Jun 9, 2019 7:19 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:
mjkvol wrote:We can overthink this to death, but my feeling is that you offer Butler and Harris the max as soon as FA opens, with the only possible other option being Butler and a run at Russell. We were this close to beating the the team that will be the champs on Monday, and running it back with a full season to mesh seems like the logical (and safer) way to go.

While there could be a lot of "If's", I do not think this seems unreasonable or unattainable.

-A full off-season and trading camp together should improve the chemistry and cohesion of the team.
-A full off-season and training camp together should improve communication on defensive concepts and offensive sets. More player specific sets/plays can be implemented with actual time to practice and execute.
-Each player listed should improve based on another year of experience and a full off-season to work on their roles.
-With 5 draft picks and just min signings, we should be able to target role specific players to improve the bench/depth.

Not unreasonable at all, in fact it is entirely realistic. And if Simmons ever developed even an average jump shot, the sky would be the limit. This team would be impossible to defend.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,115

Post#926 » by M2J » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:50 am

I like the idea of Philly going after Russell too, as you really don't know how things will shake out with Brooklyn. He's a strong fit.

But you can't lose either Toby or Jimmy without him.

5 year deal for Butler isn't that bad. He'll be at the point Chris Paul is notlw at the end of his deal... Not the beginning. Though they should try to be good enough at their jobs to try and offer him exactly what other teams can, and get him for 4 years, yet not burn the bridge. Yet, even if he's a bench player at the end, an expiring deal is moveable or he's valuable supplementing 3 other prime players.

I sometimes laugh at fans rooting to get rid of a player to save money for billionaire owners. It's damn near worth it for their brands to go over the cap to keep a contender. Especially in this case, where if in 2 years it doesn't work, all players are easily tradeable. Probably for actual value
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#927 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:05 pm

I’m more confused by the people that want to let Butler or Harris go so that you can use a slightly higher mid level exception in 3 years.

It’s being more than balanced out by having a larger exception to play with this year, not to mention keeping those players in house, being able to go over the cap to bring Redick back ect.

It’s just sort of weird that for 3 years the plan has been “get high priced stars in house before Sinmons gets off his rookie deal” now all of a sudden people want to change course...
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#928 » by fl311 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm

The major wildcard in all of this is Josh Harris.

Nobody knows if he actually wants to spend the money and pay the tax. He's said positive things to the media but he's also never have to put his money where his mouth is before.

We can speculate about max contracts and who should/should not come back, but its all a moot point if he refuses to pony up,
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#929 » by youngcrev » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:23 pm

fl311 wrote:The major wildcard in all of this is Josh Harris.

Nobody knows if he actually wants to spend the money and pay the tax. He's said positive things to the media but he's also never have to put his money where his mouth is before.

We can speculate about max contracts and who should/should not come back, but its all a moot point if he refuses to pony up,

I have to assume they had that conversation before pulling the trigger on the trades.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#930 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:39 pm

We sucked for four miserable long years just to get to this point. To be in this position. As the saying goes "you can't make everybody happy." My feeling is that we are going to bring back both Butler and Harris. These moves wont make everybody happy and the arguments are going to rage on like a crying baby in the middle of the night, but this WAS the actual idea in the first place.
I myself, think it's the best option and completely necessary at this point. It's not even so much the idea that we were a Dick Vitale hair length away from beating Toronto. It's more of....We really didn't get enough time with this starting five together. Obviously we will be tight on money if we do this, but I think it'll be worth the gamble. I think it's of the upmost importance that we keep Simmons and Embiid together over everything else. However, having players like Butler, Reddick, and Harris around them now and to already be playing in some tight playoff games, will make them even greater later on (similar effect that Duncan, Parker, Ginobili had on Leonard).
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#931 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:12 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:We sucked for four miserable long years just to get to this point. To be in this position. As the saying goes "you can't make everybody happy." My feeling is that we are going to bring back both Butler and Harris. These moves wont make everybody happy and the arguments are going to rage on like a crying baby in the middle of the night, but this WAS the actual idea in the first place.
I myself, think it's the best option and completely necessary at this point. It's not even so much the idea that we were a Dick Vitale hair length away from beating Toronto. It's more of....We really didn't get enough time with this starting five together. Obviously we will be tight on money if we do this, but I think it'll be worth the gamble. I think it's of the upmost importance that we keep Simmons and Embiid together over everything else. However, having players like Butler, Reddick, and Harris around them now and to already be playing in some tight playoff games, will make them even greater later on (similar effect that Duncan, Parker, Ginobili had on Leonard).

I also feel like people are a little too worried about the team being locked in place after these moves. People said that about the Raptors after bringing Derozan Lowry and Ibaka back, and they’ve made multiple huge trades since then.

As a contending team just don’t let very good players walk without obvious replacements. Are Lowry and Ibaka worth whatever they are being paid right now? In a vacuum maybe not but they’re also not winning 58 games during the regular season and now a game from winning the finals right now if they let them walk. (I also said this during the Raptors series about Lowry when we were up 2-1 btw, so this isn’t me bandwagoning a point)

Obsessing about the cap when you’re bad is one thing, but if you’re looking to contend, spending a lot of money on very good players and not having max cap space every summer is just part of the deal.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#932 » by elchengue20 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 pm

After watching what Toronto is doing to the rest of the NBA, i think we defentivly have to run this back.
We were so close of beating them even with an injured Embiid and without homecourt advantage.

Just resign Jimmy and Tobias for whatever price is necessary. A full extra season of chemstry plus improvements from Joel, Ben and Zhaire can easily make us the best team in the NBA, especially if KD leaves Golden State.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,634

Post#933 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04 am

The Sixers should try and poach Looney, his ability to guard the PnR and clearly his toughness are championship worthy, can't think of a better backup big who has proven themselves in the last couple months than him.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#934 » by youngcrev » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:09 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:The Sixers should try and poach Looney, his ability to guard the PnR and clearly his toughness are championship worthy, can't think of a better backup big who has proven themselves in the last couple months than him.

He's solid. There's guys I'd rather have that will be on the market, but I'd certainly take him. I'd be surprised if the Warriors let him go, particularly if Durant and Cousins are on their way out.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#935 » by VDT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am

With the way the Raptors - Warriors series is going and how close the Sixers played the Raptors even with an injured Embiid, i feel they will try to bring everyone back no matter the cost.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#936 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:54 am

I trust Josh Harris and this ownership.

They are as committed as anyone in the league when it comes to winning.

They are allergic to remaining to the status quo
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#937 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm

The key to success isn't just to bring everyone back. The key is to bring the best players back and then find a way to improve both the starting five and the bench. This is what Elton should be thinking about night and day before the draft and before free agency starts.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,370

Post#938 » by Eyeamok » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:38 pm

youngcrev wrote:

I have to assume they had that conversation before pulling the trigger on the trades.

For hiring BC and wasting assets the least he can do is pony up some cash and pay the tax. It's only right.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#939 » by smittybanton » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:53 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:The key to success isn't just to bring everyone back. The key is to bring the best players back and then find a way to improve both the starting five and the bench. This is what Elton should be thinking about night and day before the draft and before free agency starts.

1. Push the Wizards past what they're comfortable paying Thomas Bryant Jr (RFA) to backup Dwight Howard. Should still be cheaper than Dewayne Dedmon, and I think Bryant has more upside. One of only three or four backup fives in the league who can protect the rim and stretch the floor. Two year veteran, only 21 years old (7.31.97).

2. Use our leverage as a championship contender to low-ball a veteran backup guard who gets left without a chair: Derrick Rose, Ricky Rubio, Darren Collison, Rajon Rondo... There's enough out there that we ought not have to pay much. Somebody mentioned Rose re-uniting with Jimmy Butler as a possibility. I for one would not be mad at it. Split the MLE between Rose (4m) and Bryant Jr (5m)?

3. Use our leverage as a championship contender to low-ball a 2015 draft bust at forward to sign a long-term deal for little to no money. Guys like Mario Hezonja, Stanley Johnson and Trey Lyles have no leverage. Yet I think they are not done as NBA players just yet. Hezonja and Johnson have played for franchises in disarray, already not known to develop talent well. Good opportunity to get one of them on the bench for practically nothing but the chance to play for a winner.

Ben Simmons, JJ Redick, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Joel Embiid
Derrick Rose, Zhaire Smith, Mike Scott, Mario Hezonja, Thomas Bryant Jr.
Vasilije Micic, Shake Milton, Matisse Thybulle, Jonah Bolden, Daniel Gafford
(Shamorie Ponds, Nicolas Claxton)
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#940 » by elchengue20 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Bryant Jr would be a steal and exactly what we need. I doubt he doesn't get a good offer somewhere, he has good potential.

Hezonja also would be a very good pickup in a close to the minimum deal.

If we resign Jimmy, Tobias, JJ and Scott we still have the MLE? That should be enough to build a decent bench when we already have Zhaire, Bolden and this year pick.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers