ImageImageImage

Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, CoreyGallagher, Sixerscan, Foshan, BullyKing

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,489
And1: 8,518
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#961 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 pm

the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:
Grunfeld is gone. A normally run team wouldn’t let a deadweight contract hold up what they do with their actual rotation. Of course, as Sixers fans, we aren’t used to normally run teams so it gets confusing. :lol:


Hah, I meant, what's the point? Their all star point guard isn't gonna play, because of all the cap he takes up, you aren't gonna put together a good team next year anyway. Why trade a key asset like a future first round pick to get off a contract that's gonna go away in a year anyway?

They don't even have GM yet so I don't know how we can say what they're gonna do or if they're gonna be normal.


That’s true, we don’t know who Grunfeld’s replacement is. I’m just going off of Leonsis saying his team isn’t tanking. So I assume they are going to try and be as good as possible even while Wall sits out the year.


In fairness, they also said they would not trade Porter for salary relief about six days before doing exactly that.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 17,260
And1: 3,955
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#962 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:43 pm

BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Hah, I meant, what's the point? Their all star point guard isn't gonna play, because of all the cap he takes up, you aren't gonna put together a good team next year anyway. Why trade a key asset like a future first round pick to get off a contract that's gonna go away in a year anyway?

They don't even have GM yet so I don't know how we can say what they're gonna do or if they're gonna be normal.


That’s true, we don’t know who Grunfeld’s replacement is. I’m just going off of Leonsis saying his team isn’t tanking. So I assume they are going to try and be as good as possible even while Wall sits out the year.


In fairness, they also said they would not trade Porter for salary relief about six days before doing exactly that.


This is also true, but I’m not sure how to assign blame for that between Leonsis and Grunfeld.

It’s certainly possible the next guy in charge talks Leonsis into a rebuild, and then tears it down. But the draft is basically in a week. Kinda late to be deciding that. Who knows I guess.
HartfordWhalers wrote:The Tobias Harris trade was set your pants on fire while wearing them bad at the time. And still is.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,489
And1: 8,518
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#963 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 pm

the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:
That’s true, we don’t know who Grunfeld’s replacement is. I’m just going off of Leonsis saying his team isn’t tanking. So I assume they are going to try and be as good as possible even while Wall sits out the year.


In fairness, they also said they would not trade Porter for salary relief about six days before doing exactly that.


This is also true, but I’m not sure how to assign blame for that between Leonsis and Grunfeld.

It’s certainly possible the next guy in charge talks Leonsis into a rebuild, and then tears it down. But the draft is basically in a week. Kinda late to be deciding that. Who knows I guess.


There's also the third option of just continuing to drift aimlessly like they've been doing for the past few years.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,145
And1: 4,794
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#964 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:02 pm

While we're talking about the Wizards, are Jeff Green and Trevor Ariza completely washed vets or are they worth considering this offseason?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,489
And1: 8,518
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#965 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Negrodamus wrote:While we're talking about the Wizards, are Jeff Green and Trevor Ariza completely washed vets or are they worth considering this offseason?


I actually thought Green had one of his better years in recent memory last year. That said, I'd really only be interested in them at the BAE or, if they got completely shut out elsewhere and wanted to ring chase, as a vet min.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,617
And1: 3,555
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#966 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Negrodamus wrote:While we're talking about the Wizards, are Jeff Green and Trevor Ariza completely washed vets or are they worth considering this offseason?


I think both of them would be excellent veteran additions for our squad if cheap.

Despite not being as good of a shooter, I think Green is more versatile than a Mike Scott and still provides spacing.

Ariza would be a rock solid veteran 2-4 who can defend and make open perimeter shots. Im not sold on him coming as cheap as Jeff Green though.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 19,279
And1: 2,715
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#967 » by youngcrev » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Hive > Jeff Green, for this team at least
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 17,260
And1: 3,955
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#968 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Negrodamus wrote:While we're talking about the Wizards, are Jeff Green and Trevor Ariza completely washed vets or are they worth considering this offseason?


Either guy is worth taking a vet min flier on, but I don’t think either of them will be interested in that.
HartfordWhalers wrote:The Tobias Harris trade was set your pants on fire while wearing them bad at the time. And still is.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,617
And1: 3,555
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#969 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 pm

youngcrev wrote:Hive > Jeff Green, for this team at least


Just curious as to how you have come to that conclusion?

Outside of a better 3PT%, what exactly does Scott do that makes him better than Jeff Green?

For his career and last season, Green is a better ball handler, more versatile scorer, better athlete (even at 32), better FT shooter, more efficient scorer and better defender.

Scott literally does nothing for you besides make open spot up 3's.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,145
And1: 4,794
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#970 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:08 pm

I could see Green going for a vet discount to win a championship. Ariza won one with the Lakers, so he might just be interested in getting paid.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 19,279
And1: 2,715
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#971 » by youngcrev » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:38 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Hive > Jeff Green, for this team at least


Just curious as to how you have come to that conclusion?

Outside of a better 3PT%, what exactly does Scott do that makes him better than Jeff Green?

For his career and last season, Green is a better ball handler, more versatile scorer, better athlete (even at 32), better FT shooter, more efficient scorer and better defender.

Scott literally does nothing for you besides make open spot up 3's.


Agreed. 3 point shooting is pretty vital out of our role players with the way this team is built though, no? It's not as though we'd be able to utilize Green's more well rounded game moreso than Scott's 3 point shooting. They're not going to put the ball in Green's hands to create over the other options that we have. He's maybe a marginally better defender, though Scott is the better rebounder.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,198
And1: 11,594
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#972 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I could see Green going for a vet discount to win a championship. Ariza won one with the Lakers, so he might just be interested in getting paid.

Green has been playing for the minimum for two years now. Wouldn't be much of a discount.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,617
And1: 3,555
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#973 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:27 am

youngcrev wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Hive > Jeff Green, for this team at least


Just curious as to how you have come to that conclusion?

Outside of a better 3PT%, what exactly does Scott do that makes him better than Jeff Green?

For his career and last season, Green is a better ball handler, more versatile scorer, better athlete (even at 32), better FT shooter, more efficient scorer and better defender.

Scott literally does nothing for you besides make open spot up 3's.


Agreed. 3 point shooting is pretty vital out of our role players with the way this team is built though, no? It's not as though we'd be able to utilize Green's more well rounded game moreso than Scott's 3 point shooting. They're not going to put the ball in Green's hands to create over the other options that we have. He's maybe a marginally better defender, though Scott is the better rebounder.


Yes 3 point shooting is pretty vital on this team, but Green is capable of making open 3 pointers as well.

Off the bench, the team really does need someone that can create a shot though too. I understand we stagger our rotations and often have Jimmy, Ben or Joel on the floor too, but wouldn't having someone who can make an open 3 and also put the ball on the floor a bit and score in other ways be more beneficial than just game planning on closing out and running someone like Scott off the 3 Pt line?
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 19,279
And1: 2,715
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#974 » by youngcrev » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:47 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
Just curious as to how you have come to that conclusion?

Outside of a better 3PT%, what exactly does Scott do that makes him better than Jeff Green?

For his career and last season, Green is a better ball handler, more versatile scorer, better athlete (even at 32), better FT shooter, more efficient scorer and better defender.

Scott literally does nothing for you besides make open spot up 3's.


Agreed. 3 point shooting is pretty vital out of our role players with the way this team is built though, no? It's not as though we'd be able to utilize Green's more well rounded game moreso than Scott's 3 point shooting. They're not going to put the ball in Green's hands to create over the other options that we have. He's maybe a marginally better defender, though Scott is the better rebounder.


Yes 3 point shooting is pretty vital on this team, but Green is capable of making open 3 pointers as well.

Off the bench, the team really does need someone that can create a shot though too. I understand we stagger our rotations and often have Jimmy, Ben or Joel on the floor too, but wouldn't having someone who can make an open 3 and also put the ball on the floor a bit and score in other ways be more beneficial than just game planning on closing out and running someone like Scott off the 3 Pt line?


When that person is Jeff Green, no, I don't think so. He's just not good enough at those things for it to be consequential. Meanwhile, Scott is considerably better at the one skill we need most. You can run him off the line, sure, but at least teams pay attention to him out there, meaning better spacing.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,617
And1: 3,555
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#975 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 am

youngcrev wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Agreed. 3 point shooting is pretty vital out of our role players with the way this team is built though, no? It's not as though we'd be able to utilize Green's more well rounded game moreso than Scott's 3 point shooting. They're not going to put the ball in Green's hands to create over the other options that we have. He's maybe a marginally better defender, though Scott is the better rebounder.


Yes 3 point shooting is pretty vital on this team, but Green is capable of making open 3 pointers as well.

Off the bench, the team really does need someone that can create a shot though too. I understand we stagger our rotations and often have Jimmy, Ben or Joel on the floor too, but wouldn't having someone who can make an open 3 and also put the ball on the floor a bit and score in other ways be more beneficial than just game planning on closing out and running someone like Scott off the 3 Pt line?


When that person is Jeff Green, no, I don't think so. He's just not good enough at those things for it to be consequential. Meanwhile, Scott is considerably better at the one skill we need most. You can run him off the line, sure, but at least teams pay attention to him out there, meaning better spacing.


Agree to disagree. I think teams have to pay just as much attention to where Jeff Green is on the perimeter compared to Mike Scott.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 19,279
And1: 2,715
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#976 » by youngcrev » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
Yes 3 point shooting is pretty vital on this team, but Green is capable of making open 3 pointers as well.

Off the bench, the team really does need someone that can create a shot though too. I understand we stagger our rotations and often have Jimmy, Ben or Joel on the floor too, but wouldn't having someone who can make an open 3 and also put the ball on the floor a bit and score in other ways be more beneficial than just game planning on closing out and running someone like Scott off the 3 Pt line?


When that person is Jeff Green, no, I don't think so. He's just not good enough at those things for it to be consequential. Meanwhile, Scott is considerably better at the one skill we need most. You can run him off the line, sure, but at least teams pay attention to him out there, meaning better spacing.


Agree to disagree. I think teams have to pay just as much attention to where Jeff Green is on the perimeter compared to Mike Scott.


Why's that? He's an Andre Iguodala level 3 point shooter. Scott is a legit shooter
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,617
And1: 3,555
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#977 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:13 am

youngcrev wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
When that person is Jeff Green, no, I don't think so. He's just not good enough at those things for it to be consequential. Meanwhile, Scott is considerably better at the one skill we need most. You can run him off the line, sure, but at least teams pay attention to him out there, meaning better spacing.


Agree to disagree. I think teams have to pay just as much attention to where Jeff Green is on the perimeter compared to Mike Scott.


Why's that? He's an Andre Iguodala level 3 point shooter. Scott is a legit shooter


While Scott may be the better 3 point shooter, Jeff Green is a better mid range shooter and better offensive player overall. Teams don't just leave Jeff Green open on the perimeter, and he's also capable of taking a few dribbles and scoring. He also makes his FT's at an elite rate (88%). Sure Green isn't the career 3PT shooter Scott is, but he has also been a much more versatile player and better overall offensive player throughout his career.

Green has also had a few seasons where he shot the ball 38-39% from 3PT, so its not like were talking about Ben Simmons on the perimeter here. The guy takes and can make open 3's and also score the ball in other ways. I personally prefer that wrinkle/added versatility off the bench.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,145
And1: 4,794
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#978 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 am

If he's still a vet min candidate, I'm still on the Hezonja train. I think there's a ton of potential there.

ankle420breaker
Head Coach
Posts: 7,355
And1: 842
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#979 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:29 am

Negrodamus wrote:If he's still a vet min candidate, I'm still on the Hezonja train. I think there's a ton of potential there.

Agree... especially if we run it back. Hezonja is a guy who should flourish playing alongside talented players like Embiid, Redick, Simmons, Butler, and Harris. He's only known scrub teams since he's been drafted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 13,176
And1: 4,260
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#980 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Hezonja is always my top free agent priority. As long as Mario draws breath, I got a vet minimum. I beeelieveee
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably

Return to Philadelphia 76ers