ImageImageImage

Shake Milton making a case?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Shake Milton making a case? 

Post#1 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:47 pm

I think it's time to start talking about this kid. Shamet got all the chances In the world under Brett and that worked out for us as far as getting Harris is concerned. BUT, I think we'd all acknowledge that his defensive abilities left a lot to be desired. However when I look at Shake I see a kid who could potentially contribute on both sides of the floor. His all round game looks a lot better than Shamet's imo.

Here are two of his last appearances for the Sixers..

And here are some of his recent G-league performances.

Why is Brett holding this kid back? What does Shamet and Korkmaz have that he doesn't exactly? Because from what I can see he's a better defender, passer, shot creator and can score In more ways than just hitting three's.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Re: Shake Milton making a case? 

Post#2 » by agiaco » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Well he certainly should get minutes over J Simmons. The announcer keeps calling him "Mill in"
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#3 » by rzzzzz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 am

He's looked fantastic since he's healed. Yeah, it's g league, but what more can he do? A big guard who does everything doesn't seem like a bad guy to have coming off the bench.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#4 » by Foshan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:09 am

I didn't realize he was back from a bad hand. I would definately pull him up. I wonder if it has something to do with his contract situation? Like is it better for the team to wait and sign him next year, rather then now?
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#5 » by Kolkmania » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am

Absolutely. He's got an old man game on the offensive end, not an explosive scorer but he knows where to go and has a counterattack for most of the defender actions. In the NBA the margin of error will be smaller, but at least he has a reliable shot and some vision to function as an off-guard.

Defensively he's so much better than I expected. He competes, is smart with finding paths around screens and has the desired size for a guard.

I sincerely hope we can seduce him to a Jonah Bolden-esque contract.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#6 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm

NBA G league regular season will end on March 23. After that all of our 2-way contract can play with the sixers even if their 45-days already exceeded. So maybe after March 23, Shake can join the sixers and show what he can do against NBA competition.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#7 » by LloydFree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:NBA G league regular season will end on March 23. After that all of our 2-way contract can play with the sixers even if their 45-days already exceeded. So maybe after March 23, Shake can join the sixers and show what he can do against NBA competition.

I don't believe players on two-way contracts are eligible for the playoffs. I think they'd have to sign him to a regular contract and release somebody to put him on the regular roster in order to be available for the playoffs. So if he's not available for the playoffs and they don't want to cut anybody (Amir, Korkmaz) I don't know that they will use the limited court time to get the team ready for the playoffs, on him at this point.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#8 » by sweetlou23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:42 pm

No need to disparage Shamet to praise Shake or even compare the two. Shamet is already a starter on a playoff team and is shooting 47% from three on 6.2 attempts and his defensive numbers have also improved. I like Shake. The sixers did an excellent job drafting those two.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#9 » by Sixerscan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:22 pm

LloydFree wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:NBA G league regular season will end on March 23. After that all of our 2-way contract can play with the sixers even if their 45-days already exceeded. So maybe after March 23, Shake can join the sixers and show what he can do against NBA competition.

I don't believe players on two-way contracts are eligible for the playoffs. I think they'd have to sign him to a regular contract and release somebody to put him on the regular roster in order to be available for the playoffs. So if he's not available for the playoffs and they don't want to cut anybody (Amir, Korkmaz) I don't know that they will use the limited court time to get the team ready for the playoffs, on him at this point.

The other issue is if you sign him now then he's an actual free agent sooner, you lose flexibility with him ect. The best move is to wait until the summer and just convert him to a regular multi year contract then.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#10 » by youngcrev » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

The other issue is if you sign him now then he's an actual free agent sooner, you lose flexibility with him ect. The best move is to wait until the summer and just convert him to a regular multi year contract then.

How do those 2 ways work once they're up? Does he becomes a RFA? I'd think there would be a little more leverage in working a deal now, even if it potentially means losing a losing a cost controlled year
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#11 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 pm

If Shake continues to outclass the G-LEAGUE, I wonder if he'd have the courage to play out his 2 way contract and go directly to Restricted Free agency after '20, rather than sign a 4 year Hinkie special at age 23.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#12 » by Sixerscan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:28 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I don't believe players on two-way contracts are eligible for the playoffs. I think they'd have to sign him to a regular contract and release somebody to put him on the regular roster in order to be available for the playoffs. So if he's not available for the playoffs and they don't want to cut anybody (Amir, Korkmaz) I don't know that they will use the limited court time to get the team ready for the playoffs, on him at this point.

How do those 2 ways work once they're up? Does he becomes a RFA? I'd think there would be a little more leverage in working a deal now, even if it potentially means losing a losing a cost controlled year

He signed a two year two way deal. So if nothing happens he'll be on a two way contract next year. The leverage should still exist this summer.

Not sure how much leverage will be needed though, feel like this has been the plan from the start.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#13 » by Black Mage » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:51 am

Brett is like any other coach, he wants veteran experience going into the playoffs. RIght or wrong, that is how a lot of coaches think. I think it would be a disservice to Shake to throw him into playoff basketball with so little actual NBA game experience.

I also wouldn't dump on Shamet. His shot is legit and he is only a liability on defense because of his frame. I was honestly surprised that Shamet was in that deal and had I been Elton I would have looked to move another pick than give up a rare hit from a late first round pick.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:41 am

Black Mage wrote:Brett is like any other coach, he wants veteran experience going into the playoffs. RIght or wrong, that is how a lot of coaches think. I think it would be a disservice to Shake to throw him into playoff basketball with so little actual NBA game experience.

I also wouldn't dump on Shamet. His shot is legit and he is only a liability on defense because of his frame. I was honestly surprised that Shamet was in that deal and had I been Elton I would have looked to move another pick than give up a rare hit from a late first round pick.

I wasn't "dumping" on Shamet, I was merely telling the truth about his game. Most of his points came from three pointers and if that wasn't dropping then he struggled. Milton has a better all round game imo. Also why not give Milton some game time now until the end of the season to see how he does? What do we have to lose exactly? If he shines then he gets a spot on the bench In the playoffs, If he doesn't then at least he will have some experience ahead of next season. It's a win-win situation right there but Brett appears to be stuck In his ways :noway: .

ANYWAY YALL HERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS FROM TONIGHT!!!..MILTON IS ABSOLUTELY BALLING AND MAYBE IT'S TIME TO START A DAMN PETITION OR SOMETHING :lol: :lol:

Read on Twitter
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#15 » by Jams60 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:11 am

Then again, rather then being set in his ways, perhaps Brown has his hands full integrating Harris , Bobo, Scott and JSimmons into a title contender. He has had his starters together for only 7 games, he is still working in his rotations and he has 12 remaining games before the playoffs. Adding another unknown piece only takes away court time from those he knows will play in the post season.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Jams60 wrote:Then again, rather then being set in his ways, perhaps Brown has his hands full integrating Harris , Bobo, Scott and JSimmons into a title contender. He has had his starters together for only 7 games, he is still working in his rotations and he has 12 remaining games before the playoffs. Adding another unknown piece only takes away court time from those he knows will play in the post season.

Milton is good enough to step In when Jj is struggling and put some points on the board imo. Because we all know when JJ's shot isn't dropping he becomes a liability whereas Shake can get a bucket In a number of different ways plus put up more resistance defensively. J Simmons just hasn't worked out thus far and it's starting to look like it never will.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by rzzzzz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:20 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Milton is good enough to step In when Jj is struggling and put some points on the board imo. Because we all know when JJ's shot isn't dropping he becomes a liability whereas Shake can get a bucket In a number of different ways plus put up more resistance defensively. J Simmons just hasn't worked out thus far and it's starting to look like it never will.

Really like JJ, who's finishing his long career pretty strong, and TJ, who's a great spark plug, but not for near the minutes that they play. Milton's got the build to be an effective defender, and a shot to spread the floor for our 4 star players. We really need to upgrade our backcourt, and I hope Shake gets the opportunity, now that folks seem to agree he's outgrown the G league.
APettyJ
Junior
And1: 221

Post#18 » by APettyJ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:36 pm

Shake will get an opportunity to show something once the Blue Coats season wraps up on Saturday. While it is frustrating, I can get behind taking a big picture view regarding his contract situation and waiting to the Summer to sign him to a four year deal, rather than be limited to just a two-year deal, which includes the current season, and risk losing him to another team that could beat the offer the Sixers can offer him at the conclusion of the first contract.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by rzzzzz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:39 am

After tonight's game, especially, are you folks really that comfortable about our backcourt defense? We got a couple of guys who'll be free agents this summer. I'd sure like them to think we're a top contender, and not leaking where we can't afford to in the playoffs.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#20 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:06 am

rzzzzz wrote:After tonight's game, especially, are you folks really that comfortable about our backcourt defense? We got a couple of guys who'll be free agents this summer. I'd sure like them to think we're a top contender, and not leaking where we can't afford to in the playoffs.

Not really, wouldn't suddenly be comfortable with Shake either at this point though.

The best version of Shake Milton is still to come. It's imperative that they wait to sign him until the summer and get him locked into as long term of a deal as possible.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers