ImageImageImage

Some folks need to GET REAL!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Re: Some folks need to GET REAL!! 

Post#21 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:13 pm

Agree though that this era is really weak, and more important the game is broken. Nowadays scrubs like Mario Hezonja are posting triple doubles, stats are way inflated due to the absurd pace, spamming 3pt shots day and night and no defense rule. Not to mention players are allowed to travel and flop to fabricate artificial stars.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#22 » by youngcrev » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:13 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Just wondering why you think Harris is in a slump? His last four scores have been 13, 21, 25, 25. Is that really a slump?

Seems pretty clear that he's struggled just by watching the games, but look at his monthly splits:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harrito02/splits/2019

If you don't see the clear down tick, I don't know what to tell you.

I find the sky is falling crowd that want Brett fired and Simmons traded after every loss to be extremely obnoxious... But the everything is fine crowd is pretty annoying too. It's OK to admit when guys aren't playing well or that you think the coach made a stupid decision.

I am not in the trade Simmons crowd. To the contrary. But I don't believe this team can move forward with Brett Brown as coach. So give him the playoffs to prove what he can do - and if he doesn't get us at least into the conference finals, then move on. My objection to Brown's coaching is more than an occasional stupid decision. Anyway, he deserves his chance. But if you honestly put him in a class equal to or above Brad Stevens, Mike Budenholzer, Kenny Atkinson or Eric Spoelstra (that's just in our conference and I reserve judgment on Nate McMillan/best player injured and Nick Nurse/until after the playoffs), then you're watching a different game that I am.

Let me clarify, I'm talking about the game thread guys that literally call for Brett to be fired after every loss or even games that are closer than they deem they should be. And there's never any actual specific coaching decision that they are criticizing, it's a simple "fire Brett," as though that would solve all the teams issues.

I'm fine with the overall conclusion of thinking Brett needing to be replaced for this team to take the next step, and I certainly wouldn't put him among the elite strategists in the league. I'm not there yet with him needing to be gone, but I also find that aspect of coaching the NBA to be a little bit overrated in comparison to just keeping players happy. This is a players league, after all. And I think firing Brett could potentially cause some major waves in the lockerroom with our 2 most important players.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#23 » by kuclas » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:20 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I can't believe the Simmons complaints at all. That is the biggest surprise to me. He is going to be an amazing player and probably a top five of his era by the time it's all said and done. Trading him would be the absolute dumbest thing this franchise has EVER done in the history of basketball. It's really simple...As long as we have Simmons and Embiid we will be a contending team. That is what all of us wanted, that is what all of us sat through to get. It definitely is a little unorthodox, but it's going to work. Remember when we beat Golden State in their building this year? Ben Simmons won that game for us, that was the Ben Simmons we are going to be getting on a regular basis in the not so distant future.

Simmons game works against some teams like golden state. It should work in theory against the Atlanta Hawks as well.

But Simmons game just doesn’t work well against Celtics defensive scheme. Milwaukee was also packing the paint Thursday night as well.

We will see In the playoffs how he adjusts.

Anyways the sixers end of game situation (this is where coaching matters.

We don’t have the full lineup available which hurts.

In a 119-119 game on Thursday. Every one knew embiid was getting the ball. Everyone also knew to guard jj Reddick like a blanket and also guard Harris. Reddick missed the shot.

But how were the bucks able to get rebound and get a layup in 2.5 seconds. Who was suppose to be back there? Our entire end of game situation sucked.

And the same thing happen again with sixers down 121-119. Another layup allowed in transition.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#24 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:36 pm

youngcrev wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
76ciology wrote:I’m real. I’m not panicking because I know the team is smart enough to cruise on this garbage part of the season.

And yet, I have some fear of the long term future of Ben and the short term future of Butler and Tobias continous slump.

The elephant in the room is we haven’t yet find a way to counter the defense where the opponent will have their Pf&C sag into the paint to clog it. We saw how it neutralizes Ben and turned Biid into a perimeter player.

Overall, I still believe we’ll see a different team in the play-offs.

Just wondering why you think Harris is in a slump? His last four scores have been 13, 21, 25, 25. Is that really a slump?

Seems pretty clear that he's struggled just by watching the games, but look at his monthly splits:

I find the sky is falling crowd that want Brett fired and Simmons traded after every loss to be extremely obnoxious... But the everything is fine crowd is pretty annoying too. It's OK to admit when guys aren't playing well or that you think the coach made a stupid decision.

I spoke about the last four games Harris has played where he has got 13, 21, 25 and 25 points. He had a dry spell In the three previous games yes, but to suggest he is CURRENTLY In a slump is simply not true imo.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#25 » by hookshot199 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:02 pm

youngcrev wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I am not in the trade Simmons crowd. To the contrary. But I don't believe this team can move forward with Brett Brown as coach. So give him the playoffs to prove what he can do - and if he doesn't get us at least into the conference finals, then move on. My objection to Brown's coaching is more than an occasional stupid decision. Anyway, he deserves his chance. But if you honestly put him in a class equal to or above Brad Stevens, Mike Budenholzer, Kenny Atkinson or Eric Spoelstra (that's just in our conference and I reserve judgment on Nate McMillan/best player injured and Nick Nurse/until after the playoffs), then you're watching a different game that I am.

Let me clarify, I'm talking about the game thread guys that literally call for Brett to be fired after every loss or even games that are closer than they deem they should be. And there's never any actual specific coaching decision that they are criticizing, it's a simple "fire Brett," as though that would solve all the teams issues.

I'm fine with the overall conclusion of thinking Brett needing to be replaced for this team to take the next step, and I certainly wouldn't put him among the elite strategists in the league. I'm not there yet with him needing to be gone, but I also find that aspect of coaching the NBA to be a little bit overrated in comparison to just keeping players happy. This is a players league, after all. And I think firing Brett could potentially cause some major waves in the lockerroom with our 2 most important players.

That's the point. Realistically, we have a 4-5 year window. Embiid becomes an unrestricted free agent in June 2023 assuming he doesn't break down before. We've got three pillars - Embiid, Simmons and Tobias. Jimmy Butler may or may not fit. He also has limitations. Marcus Smart shut him down in the playoffs two years ago as a 27-year-old. He's now 29. Sign him to longer than three at your peril. We were among the league leaders in turnovers this year.

If your offense is based on soon-to-be 35-year-old JJ Redick running around on the perimeter (while everyone else stands around), it's not a winning formula. It's predictable and he can be shut down by a good defensive team. And if you have to play Embiid 35 mpg on his rebuilt foot and encourage him to jack up 3's, that's not sustainable either. He'll break down like he did this year.

We can't have a coach-in-training for another year. We've got four, maybe more if we win a championship or two. But four in which we have control over the three main contracts.

If it weren't for the fact that he's a college coach, I would make a run for Jay Wright because he coaches fundamentals including defense. Make him an offer he can't refuse. Triple his salary. Offer him $50 mil for six years. The problem with Jay Wright, the clock is ticking. We've got Embiid under contract for four years and ONLY four years.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Post#26 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:24 pm

Only four years? You think he's leaving after that? He seems pretty loyal to me.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#27 » by VDT » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:50 pm

I dont think a college coach or one with no experience in the NBA will work. 2 years ago yes but now that the Sixers have established players it is hard to make this work and there is not that much time to waste in experiments. As such the Sixers can either get a has been type of coach or wait until a currently employed coach becomes available.

As i have said before imo Brown is not a difference maker but he is not holding the team back either. The team has surpassed expectation the last two years that we were not actively tanking (at least not from day 1 in 2016-2017) so he can't be that terrible. I do think he is making mistakes like misusing Embiid but there is no easy way to solve the team-chemistry issues save considerable improvement from the players or the team making trades.

The team's best player and the only player real offensive gravity is a center in the era of fast paced, 3 point centered basketball. The last team that won a title with a traditional big man superstar as the best player was more than 10 years ago. So from the get go he tries to do something that hasn't been done on this era, meaning that there are no easy and available answers. In addition the teams playmaker and number 1 pick cannot shoot at all making the game more difficult for everyone but especially for the team's center and best player. Unless this issue is solved either a trade or with player improvement or simply by having overwhelming talent the team will continue to "struggle" and "underperform" in certain people's eyes and i am not sure there are many coaches that can solve it.

What the team needs much more than a new coach is a competent FO that will built a team that makes sense (hint: not 2 pgs that can't shoot) and if it's needed hire also a better coach.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#28 » by hookshot199 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:52 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Only four years? You think he's leaving after that? He seems pretty loyal to me.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

He seems loyal to me too. Then again, it is a business and he's only 25. I'm more concerned about
his long-term durability and the schizo talk about "load management" and then playing him long
minutes.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#29 » by hookshot199 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:48 pm

VDT wrote:I dont think a college coach or one with no experience in the NBA will work. 2 years ago yes but now that the Sixers have established players it is hard to make this work and there is not that much time to waste in experiments. As such the Sixers can either get a has been type of coach or wait until a currently employed coach becomes available.

As i have said before imo Brown is not a difference maker but he is not holding the team back either. The team has surpassed expectation the last two years that we were not actively tanking (at least not from day 1 in 2016-2017) so he can't be that terrible. I do think he is making mistakes like misusing Embiid but there is no easy way to solve the team-chemistry issues save considerable improvement from the players or the team making trades.

The team's best player and the only player real offensive gravity is a center in the era of fast paced, 3 point centered basketball. The last team that won a title with a traditional big man superstar as the best player was more than 10 years ago. So from the get go he tries to do something that hasn't been done on this era, meaning that there are no easy and available answers. In addition the teams playmaker and number 1 pick cannot shoot at all making the game more difficult for everyone but especially for the team's center and best player. Unless this issue is solved either a trade or with player improvement or simply by having overwhelming talent the team will continue to "struggle" and "underperform" in certain people's eyes and i am not sure there are many coaches that can solve it.

What the team needs much more than a new coach is a competent FO that will built a team that makes sense (hint: not 2 pgs that can't shoot) and if it's needed hire also a better coach.

Agree with much of what you say including bringing in a college coach - even with superior coaching skills - will take at least a year to make the transition. Maybe longer.

But as for the front office: We can't ignore the hole the Colangelos and Adam Silver left us in, losing a three pick and possibly a key piece in a trade still to be made to our arch rival. One more Sacramento win/Minnesota loss and it's at best a 5.6% (one out of 18) chance for the Celtics to get into the top 4. They probably need to be in the top four to get Anthony Davis.

But trades: The draft night trade of the 10 pick to Phoenix gave us a) Zhair Smith (no reason he won't be a solid defensive player we desperately need) and b) the Miami pick (which made the Tobias trade possible).

That's good stuff.

Tobi, Bobi and Scott for the Miami pick, Shamet, Chandler and Muscala should give us a key piece for the future. I would like us to re-sign Scott in the offseason. Bobi is limited.

Ennis was a good acquisition, but he's on a player option in 2019/2020.

Moving Fultz for Cleveland's 2019 second round pick is not a bad thing (if I understand the trade correctly). Jonathan Simmons did not help. We will learn later if there was any background story about him. Anyway, Fultz's and most of Simmons' salary comes off the books in June.

Re Butler: We miss RoCo's defense obviously, but were going to have to up Saric for $10-plus.

My quibble (and it's a big one) and I posted about it back in November: We didn't shore up the front court for more than two months, running Embiid into the ground. Was that Brand's fault or Brown's fault? Or our medical staff? I blame the coach, just like I blamed Thibodeau in Chicago.

Second, he didn't bring in a high-energy defensive wing (Corey Brewer) until the end, and then didn't sign him to finish the season. That one probably goes on Brand.

My view on the front office is much less critical considering where we were a year ago. On April 6, we still had Bryan running the show. Josh Harris didn't fire him until June 7.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#30 » by sixers hoops » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:02 pm

kio80 wrote:
76ciology wrote:If Ben becomes a top 5 player of an era, then it’s either that era is weak, maybe Thanos also got 50% of the nba players or Ben made some quantum leap in his game. Who knows.. maybe Okafor will be a DPOY candidate by then.

Define quantum leap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s when a former scientist finds himself trapped in time due to an experiment gone awry, leaping into a different body each week.

And I’m just not sure Ben is there yet.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#31 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:20 pm

76ciology wrote:If Ben becomes a top 5 player of an era, then it’s either that era is weak, maybe Thanos also got 50% of the nba players or Ben made some quantum leap in his game. Who knows.. maybe Okafor will be a DPOY candidate by then.

¨Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.¨
- Marcus Aurelius
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#32 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:58 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
kio80 wrote:

Define quantum leap.

It’s when a former scientist finds himself trapped in time due to an experiment gone awry, leaping into a different body each week.

:lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#33 » by youngcrev » Sat Apr 6, 2019 11:58 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
kio80 wrote:

Define quantum leap.

:o

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#34 » by the_process » Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:43 am

:lol: :lol:
the_process
RealGM

Post#35 » by the_process » Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:44 am

youngcrev wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
kio80 wrote:
Define quantum leap.

Damn, I was gonna post that. Loved that show when I was a kid. It does not hold up, sadly.
the_process
RealGM

Post#36 » by the_process » Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:47 am

sixers hoops wrote:
kio80 wrote:

Define quantum leap.

Nailed it.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#37 » by youngcrev » Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:16 am

the_process wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Damn, I was gonna post that. Loved that show when I was a kid. It does not hold up, sadly.

That epic theme song absolutely does though!
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,800

Post#38 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:49 am

the_process wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

You're not kidding:

sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#39 » by sixers hoops » Sun Apr 7, 2019 2:12 am

Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

You're not kidding:

Woah
walker9
Junior
And1: 429

Post#40 » by walker9 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 4:48 am

You forgot 8. Don’t blame every loss on the damn coach.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers