ImageImageImage

Losing Out Productively

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Losing Out Productively 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:40 am

Ennis is out. Biid and Jimmy should probably heal right up until the post season. i liked how Brett deployed our rookies against the Bucks last night. loved Shake (who we now almost have to sign) tying up the Greek under the basket. Zhaire had his mishaps on the offensive end, but we'll see if that experience and whatever else he can absorb these next couple of games will be any benefit. and there was Bolten playing pf right next to Embiid. (and really, for all the ugliness, we could have easily taken that game.) so maybe put some serious minutes into seeing if the rookies are bench worthy. give Ben and Harris encouragement to elevate themselves to resemble all star calibre. and hope our well rested walking wounded come back ready to dominate. first the Pacers, then the Bucks and then whoever else is left standing.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Re: Losing Out Productively 

Post#2 » by FireMorey » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:54 am

I can't agree with this. Losing out goes against my principles in competitiveness and respecting the game. I just fundamentally don't agree with taking games for granted and not playing hard down the stretch. The sports gods will make us pay and we'd lose in the first round to Indiana or Embiid will get hurt and miss the series. It just has bad karma written all over it.

Just do things the right way, win and get the 3 seed and let the chips fall.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#3 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:15 am

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:I can't agree with this. Losing out goes against my principles in competitiveness and respecting the game. I just fundamentally don't agree with taking games for granted and not playing hard down the stretch. The sports gods will make us pay and we'd lose in the first round to Indiana or Embiid will get hurt and miss the series. It just has bad karma written all over it.

We’re not living on olden times anymore.

These days, people live and play smart. Even college players are asking to be paid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#4 » by FireMorey » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:22 am

76ciology wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:I can't agree with this. Losing out goes against my principles in competitiveness and respecting the game. I just fundamentally don't agree with taking games for granted and not playing hard down the stretch. The sports gods will make us pay and we'd lose in the first round to Indiana or Embiid will get hurt and miss the series. It just has bad karma written all over it.

We’re not living on olden times anymore.

These days, people live and play smart. Even college players are asking to be paid.

You gotta stick to your principles no matter what. I’m against finishing poorly down the stretch, I’m sorry. If the Sixers don’t take these games seriously down the stretch they deserve to lose in the first round.

And the sad thing isn’t they aren’t trying to lose, they just haven’t been playing well. So it isn’t even strategic to avoid Toronto. They’re just incompetent right now.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#5 » by the_process » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:06 am

I don't see this team taking 4 of 7 from either Milwaukee or Toronto. So not sure it matters. But it wouldn't hurt to just let all the guys rest until the playoffs.

The thing I'm against is converting Shake's contract. Wasting a cheap year is poor asset management. Then again, it would fit right in with every other move they've made this year...
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:21 pm

It's one thing if Embiid and Jimmy can come back at 100% right away and we can go in on a roll. But these guys are hurting, and bringing them back too early for the sake of winning a couple more games may doom any chance we have progressing in the playoffs. Heck, we'd be lucky if just rest of the regular season would be enough for them to heal before the playoffs. I believe if Biid and Jimmy are healthy, we got a shot at anybody.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by rzzzzz » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:25 pm

the_process wrote:I don't see this team taking 4 of 7 from either Milwaukee or Toronto. So not sure it matters. But it wouldn't hurt to just let all the guys rest until the playoffs.

The thing I'm against is converting Shake's contract. Wasting a cheap year is poor asset management. Then again, it would fit right in with every other move they've made this year...

It's Ennis going down that makes brings the Shake move in play. (heck, even Kyle, who was dead against it just a couple weeks ago is calling for it now because of the injury.). Brett said Shake and Zhaire were not in the post season plans, but there they were putting in big minutes against the Bucks. I think ownership wants us to be at least competitive, so maybe everything is on the table.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#8 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:44 pm

It's not a given that Shake signs for a four year deal anyways - whether now or in the off-season.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#9 » by the_process » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:43 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:It's not a given that Shake signs for a four year deal anyways - whether now or in the off-season.

I'd have been happy with a 2 year min deal starting next year.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by rzzzzz » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Maybe the sports gods are rewarding us with a better Ben, and flexible Brett, but I still don't see that 3 seed worth anything near a healthier Biid. Next year I hope we see him deployed more like Pop would do it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers