ImageImageImage

Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs) 

Post#521 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:The wild card in the east is Indiana. They lost their best player and hung around for a while. They have good coaching and are a good team. While people wonder about Boston dropping off the Pacers could be rising and rising fast.

They treaded water for a while against a weak schedule then wilted when it got tougher, capping it off by getting swept by a Boston team that was falling apart. Nice story but I think they need to add a decent amount of talent in addition to Oladipo coming back healthy (which isn't a given).

They have two foundation pieces locked up on reasonable contracts. If they don't do something stupid, like spend good money on bringing back Thaddeus Young and use their cap space on a top tier Free-agents, they'll be nearly as good as anyone else in the East.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#522 » by kriss73 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 pm

Arsenal wrote:I assume the Lakers / Pels deal goes through 30 days after the draft. The Lakers will pick for the Pels at #4.

Meanwhile this could be trouble for us. If the Lakers have a MAX slot open prior to the trade they may target Jimmy Butler.

Otherwise I expect them to get Kemba Walker now. He takes over as the starting PG.

PG Walker
SG ???
SF Shadow
PF Kuzma
CE Davis

Bench: Wagner, Bonga, ???

They'll be thin as hell, but a great core. Just hoping they don't take Butler from us now.

SG will be KCP to complete the Paul Rich team.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Post#523 » by Arsenal » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:29 pm

kriss73 wrote:
Arsenal wrote:I assume the Lakers / Pels deal goes through 30 days after the draft. The Lakers will pick for the Pels at #4.

Meanwhile this could be trouble for us. If the Lakers have a MAX slot open prior to the trade they may target Jimmy Butler.

Otherwise I expect them to get Kemba Walker now. He takes over as the starting PG.

PG Walker
SG ???
SF Shadow
PF Kuzma
CE Davis

Bench: Wagner, Bonga, ???

They'll be thin as hell, but a great core. Just hoping they don't take Butler from us now.

SG will be KCP to complete the Paul Rich team.

All they have is the Room Exception and Vet Mins. Not sure KCP takes either, but I guess it's possible. What a dumb mistake not taking that Pistons contact. Almost as foolish as Nerlens with the Mavs.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,036

Post#524 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:The wild card in the east is Indiana. They lost their best player and hung around for a while. They have good coaching and are a good team. While people wonder about Boston dropping off the Pacers could be rising and rising fast.

They treaded water for a while against a weak schedule then wilted when it got tougher, capping it off by getting swept by a Boston team that was falling apart. Nice story but I think they need to add a decent amount of talent in addition to Oladipo coming back healthy (which isn't a given).

They have two foundation pieces locked up on reasonable contracts. If they don't do something stupid, like spend good money on bringing back Thaddeus Young and use their cap space on a top tier Free-agents, they'll be nearly as good as anyone else in the East.

I think you’re a lot higher on Turner than I am.

We’ll if they can get someone to come to them in free agency. I’m dubious. No guarantee Oladipo is healthy next year.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,740

Post#525 » by Sixersftw » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am

If life is getting you down, may I recommend heading over to the Boston Celtics forum. It's just a place that'll just warm your heart right now. I feel reinvigorated, refreshed, renewed.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,702

Post#526 » by the_process » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:42 am

Going to go ahead and bask in the schadenfreude for a little bit right now...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1853484
the_process
RealGM

Post#527 » by the_process » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:43 am

Sixersftw wrote:If life is getting you down, may I recommend heading over to the Boston Celtics forum. It's just a place that'll just warm your heart right now. I feel reinvigorated, refreshed, renewed.

Yep, just posted it. :lol: It’s wonderful, might I add.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,738

Post#528 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 am

Lakers should be the most hated in the league now. This situation with Rich Paul making the league bend to his will is absurd.
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#529 » by phiphan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:48 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

My goodness...
the_process
RealGM

Post#530 » by the_process » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:37 am

Negrodamus wrote:Lakers should be the most hated in the league now. This situation with Rich Paul making the league bend to his will is absurd.

Fairly sure the Lakers are always the most hated by other fans. It’s the media that sucks them off.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#531 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:06 am

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Lakers should be the most hated in the league now. This situation with Rich Paul making the league bend to his will is absurd.

Fairly sure the Lakers are always the most hated by other fans. It’s the media that sucks them off.

They get the ratings and the clicks which pay the media’s checks, I get it.
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#532 » by nitocobola » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 am

phiphan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

My goodness...

Don't care about what people say, that was a good trade for the pels, especially when ainge was lowballing them.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#533 » by Wilfried » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:58 am

nitocobola wrote:
phiphan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

My goodness...

Don't care about what people say, that was a good trade for the pels, especially when ainge was lowballing them.

Don't know if Ainge was lowballing, only thing is that the fact that they probably know Irving is leaving, makes a trade for AD so much harder because it's absolutely not a certainty he will stay next summer.

So why would you give up Jayson Tatum?

Fact is that I have the feeling Ainge has failed to do something of risk lately. Now his sitting on his late picks and his core off Rozier/Smart/Brown/Tatum/... They will be ok and still compete for the play-offs but nothing more. Think Al Horford will leave now too.

I prefer the balls Elton has shown over what Ainge has done.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#534 » by LloydFree » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:46 am

I don't get the Rich Paul hate. Before him the same six, old money, agents ran the league and filled their pockets unchecked, but suddenly because a new guy gets a little power, he's a villain? SMH.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,740

Post#535 » by Sixersftw » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:45 pm

nitocobola wrote:Don't care about what people say, that was a good trade for the pels, especially when ainge was lowballing them.

Oh the Pels absolutely murdered this trade. I thought the Lakers former young players weren't worth **** but that haul of picks is Billy King-esque.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#536 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Great trade for the Pelicans, between Ball Ingram and all of the picks the odds of finding or developing another star around Zion are high.

Lakers taking a risk, this isn't old KG/Pierce though. These two guys are only a season removed from being #2 and #3 in the MVP race. If they can pull this off and win a title or two they'll deal with getting wrecked on the back end.

I'm not sure how good they'll be next year though, even if they add a 3rd guy. Still should be very good, but they may have to wait until the following year when they can use the MLE to fill out their rotation to really reach their potential, like when the Heat got Battier.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#537 » by mithrandir17 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:57 pm

phiphan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

My goodness...

Hinkie got this kind of trade with just cap space.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#538 » by LloydFree » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:01 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
phiphan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

My goodness...

Hinkie got this kind of trade with just cap space.

And then take a guess at what Collars did with the proceeds from that trade...
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,738

Post#539 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:30 pm

LloydFree wrote:

I don't get the Rich Paul hate. Before him the same six, old money, agents ran the league and filled their pockets unchecked, but suddenly because a new guy gets a little power, he's a villain? SMH.

Maybe it's because Rich Paul is in the spotlight more than the other agents, but an agent and LeBron essentially running the Lakers is not in the best interest of the league in terms of competitiveness.

Honestly, the Lakers have made miserable moves since Kobe started declining and is wiping the slate clean and rewarded a top 3 player. Ball has played 99 games in two season, Ingram has a career threatening injury, and Josh Hart is a bench player. Ball and Ingram are both the second picks in their drafts and have played far below that level. And, yes, they are giving up their draft picks: the 4th pick is likely as valuable as the 10th pick in this draft, and the rest of the trade is hoping the wheel fall off of LeBron or Anthony Davis (and whoever they sign).

The Lakers will likely fill out the rest of their team with solid ring chasing vets who will play for nothing and their "rebuild" was basically getting LeBron and strong arming the league to take their failed prospects.

That said, if Lonzo can play a full season, he and Zion will be fun to watch.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#540 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Uhh this changes things alot. They're not gonna have the space to get a 3rd guy unless it's Russell or one of the 30% guys takes a discount.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers