ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#1161 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:39 am

If Ben isnt gonna shoot then Ben needs to operate from the post. Posting up smaller defenders while PFs and Cs are on Horford and Biid.

If Biid is gonna post then he do most of it when Ben is not on the floor.

Team first.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Coreyh88
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1162 » by Coreyh88 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 am

On his second dunk in the 4th today he passed up a wide-open jumper which was disappointing
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#1163 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 am

76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I'm just talking in the context of getting Ben/Joel actually being able to function together.

The closest thing I can see is that DMC-AD PnR near the paint where if the opponents switch, DMC would throw it at the air for lob for AD. And if the opponents dont switch, DMC would have a step advantage for a drive.

Here’s the thing.. biid is not a good roll man, ben is not a good PnR ball handler.

Read on Twitter

This is the kind of action im talking about
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#1164 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:09 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
No-one said he was a great shooter. I said he was taking and hitting jumpers on the regular in his rookie year and getting back to that is what's needed and then he can build from there. If he's not comfortable shooting lefty this year then a change to his right should be seriously considered but I argued for this In the offseason and he still didn't change so there's no use beating a dead horse tbh.

I don't want to seem argumentative, but you said "In his rookie season he was hitting mid range jumpers left handed with no problem". That was not the case. his rookie season was historically bad for shooting, he was not hitting them no problem, there was a massive problem.

Have you ever seen an NBA player unable to hit layups with his left hand, even if he is right handed? Simmons seems to be the most right side dominant player that I have seen, yet he still shoots left? He is either uncoachable, has poor coaches, or most likely both, and it's going to cost the Sixers a title.

Edit - I don't want to seem like I'm just a hater. I have been a huge Ben Simons fan for ten years. I watched his Dad play basketball live for the Melbourne Tigers, I have a friend who was a PE teacher at Box Hill High School when he was there, so I heard about him from a very young age. I believe that he can be the best player in the league, but until he changes shooting hands he is holding the whole team back.

Oh it wasn't? :o SO WHO IS THIS then? Some kind of Ben Simmons "stunt double"? SMH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really, you're still on this? You post a collage of all shots he made over the year with none of the misses or context?

Simmons being an exceptionally bad shooter in his rookie year is not up for debate. He was historically bad, all statistics show that outside of dunking he was one of the worst rookie shooters of all time. The only positive from his rookie season is that he is not as bad as he is now, which is absolutely astonishing.

There is being a homer, being biased, being delusional, being completely lacking in any sort of reason, and then there is this. Saying Simmons had no problem with his jump shot in his rookie year is not just wrong, it's stupid.

At this stage I'm not sure if you have never actually watched or looked at the stats of a game, or I'm being trolled.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1165 » by kio80 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 am

Imagine when we actually start losing games, peeps are gonna be pissed at Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1166 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:35 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:I don't want to seem argumentative, but you said "In his rookie season he was hitting mid range jumpers left handed with no problem". That was not the case. his rookie season was historically bad for shooting, he was not hitting them no problem, there was a massive problem.

Have you ever seen an NBA player unable to hit layups with his left hand, even if he is right handed? Simmons seems to be the most right side dominant player that I have seen, yet he still shoots left? He is either uncoachable, has poor coaches, or most likely both, and it's going to cost the Sixers a title.

Edit - I don't want to seem like I'm just a hater. I have been a huge Ben Simons fan for ten years. I watched his Dad play basketball live for the Melbourne Tigers, I have a friend who was a PE teacher at Box Hill High School when he was there, so I heard about him from a very young age. I believe that he can be the best player in the league, but until he changes shooting hands he is holding the whole team back.

Oh it wasn't? :o SO WHO IS THIS then? Some kind of Ben Simmons "stunt double"? SMH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really, you're still on this? You post a collage of all shots he made over the year with none of the misses or context?

Simmons being an exceptionally bad shooter in his rookie year is not up for debate. He was historically bad, all statistics show that outside of dunking he was one of the worst rookie shooters of all time. The only positive from his rookie season is that he is not as bad as he is now, which is absolutely astonishing.

There is being a homer, being biased, being delusional, being completely lacking in any sort of reason, and then there is this. Saying Simmons had no problem with his jump shot in his rookie year is not just wrong, it's stupid.

At this stage I'm not sure if you have never actually watched or looked at the stats of a game, or I'm being trolled.

Lol and of course after I prove this guy wrong he starts to lash out :lol: :lol: :lol: . I SAID "HE WAS HITTING MID RANGE, LEFT HANDED JUMPERS REGULARLY"...did i say he was perfect? NO...did i say he didn't miss many? NO...so quit being emotional and get over it. The bottom line is he was hitting shots from mid range at an acceptable rate...if you don't agree then you're welcome to provide PROOF from his rookie season that contradicts my point...otherwise you're just spewing hot air imo.
shlo
Junior
And1: 247

Post#1167 » by shlo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:25 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Lol and of course after I prove this guy wrong he starts to lash out :lol: :lol: :lol: . I SAID "HE WAS HITTING MID RANGE, LEFT HANDED JUMPERS REGULARLY"...did i say he was perfect? NO...did i say he didn't miss many? NO...so quit being emotional and get over it. The bottom line is he was hitting shots from mid range at an acceptable rate...if you don't agree then you're welcome to provide PROOF from his rookie season that contradicts my point...otherwise you're just spewing hot air imo.

Simmons' shot chart shows how truly awful he is outside the paint. http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=1627732

I'm particularly enjoying his missed layups and sub 50% free throw shooting this year.
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#1168 » by nitocobola » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:34 pm

Will be plenty of time for burke or neto in the next two games. A RIP our record

Read on Twitter
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#1169 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm

nitocobola wrote:Will be plenty of time for burke or neto in the next two games. A RIP our record

Read on Twitter

So a tweet by Woj saying the Wolves are salty has automatically got you triggered? Wtf :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#1170 » by Chris76 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:22 pm

kio80 wrote:Imagine when we actually start losing games, peeps are gonna be pissed at Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmons scores like a center. 17 pts + 9 assists and great defense is a very good player.

It would be nice if he took more midrange shots, but most of the time his teammates get a wide open 3.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#1171 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

So you are really going to change your quote?

This is what you said - "In his rookie season he was hitting mid range jumpers left handed with no problem"

You didn't say regularly, you said no problem. He did have a problem. I find it pretty strange that you feel the need to lie on an internet forum, when the evidence is on the same page.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#1172 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:29 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:Really, you're still on this? You post a collage of all shots he made over the year with none of the misses or context?

This is what you said - "In his rookie season he was hitting mid range jumpers left handed with no problem"

You didn't say regularly, you said no problem. He did have a problem. I find it pretty strange that you feel the need to lie on an internet forum, when the evidence is on the same page.

LOL let it go buddy...you were proven to be WRONG!!..it's OK!!..nobody is perfect :lol: :lol: :lol:

The bottom line is he was hitting JUMPERS in his rookie year and now he's not!!..That's all I'm concerned about..I really don't give a damn about silly, minor details.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#1173 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

LOL let it go buddy...you were proven to be WRONG!!..it's OK!!..nobody is perfect :lol: :lol: :lol:

The bottom line is he was hitting JUMPERS in his rookie year and now he's not!!..That's all I'm concerned about..I really don't give a damn about silly, minor details.

Just take the loss, no point lying on an internet forum.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#1174 » by kriss73 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:41 am

I think " The Peacemaker" is a nice nickname for Ben.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1175 » by Kolkmania » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:11 pm

Really disappointed that the "we're not going to let him stand in the dunker spot" lasted four preseason games.

His defense has been absolutely amazing thus far, especially in crunch time. However, offensively there is no clear distinction visible imo. No clear initiation of contact around the rim and obviously still no desire to shoot an occasional corner three.
If he doens't do it in blow-out games at home, I'm not sure when he will do it tbh.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#1176 » by SixthStreet » Fri Nov 1, 2019 1:35 pm

It’s hard to say if his explosion vs the Celtics is more attributable to his improvement and aggressive mindset or them not having Horford to deploy against him.

But he did it against a team and scheme that has consistently flustered Benny one point. At this point in the season, I’ll give more credit to Ben for that game.

I think he gets up for big games and is prone to floating against teams he doesn’t deem good and worth his time.

I don’t want him shooting jumpers because you don’t fix that in an offseason but his SSS free throw regression concerns me because he may revert to his soft inside game to avoid getting fouled instead of the aggressive contact seeking he’s showed so far this year.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1177 » by Kolkmania » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:25 pm

SixthStreet wrote:It’s hard to say if his explosion vs the Celtics is more attributable to his improvement and aggressive mindset or them not having Horford to deploy against him.

But he did it against a team and scheme that has consistently flustered Benny one point. At this point in the season, I’ll give more credit to Ben for that game.

I think he gets up for big games and is prone to floating against teams he doesn’t deem good and worth his time.

I don’t want him shooting jumpers because you don’t fix that in an offseason but his SSS free throw regression concerns me because he may revert to his soft inside game to avoid getting fouled instead of the aggressive contact seeking he’s showed so far this year.

Whether Simmons will shoot at some point in the future or not, he'll be a very good player regardless. Just like the finishing around the rim, the fancy scoop shots look pretty, but it's not a consistent option. Doesn't mean that he won't have an occasional 30 point game.

If Simmons wants to take a next step, he needs to get himself into uncomfortable positions and Brett Brown must be willing to live with the short-term consequences. One or both of these conditions is/are not present and that's a damn shame.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#1178 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:31 pm

kriss73 wrote:I think " The Peacemaker" is a nice nickname for Ben.

I saw that "The Scranton Strangler" was making the rounds on Twitter, too.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1179 » by VDT » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:32 pm

A good thing that will come out of the fight is that it will put more pressure on the other players, and Simmons in particular, to score since the first option will not be playing.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,803

Post#1180 » by Negrodamus » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:41 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Really disappointed that the "we're not going to let him stand in the dunker spot" lasted four preseason games.

His defense has been absolutely amazing thus far, especially in crunch time. However, offensively there is no clear distinction visible imo. No clear initiation of contact around the rim and obviously still no desire to shoot an occasional corner three.
If he doens't do it in blow-out games at home, I'm not sure when he will do it tbh.

I agree that he is still underwhelming on offense, but it does appear that he has better touch around the rim so far this year, so that's a nice improvement.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers