ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#1541 » by Eyeamok » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:05 pm

The conversation went something like this.

Simmons: Coach Brown you let me play PG on the Australian Olympic team and I'll shoot more for the 76ers.
Coach Brown: IMAGONNA need some proof Ben. Some quid pro go.
Simmons: It's quid pro quo coach.
Coach Brown: No it's quid pro go shoot the damn ball mate!
Simmons: OK.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#1542 » by Eyeamok » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:15 pm

MVP1992 wrote:One day Ben, one day. You can do it.

I'm not hating on this little kid. But he missed one of his shots. As Mithrandir17 pointed out Ben Simmons is hitting 100% of his 3 pointers in the preseason and season so far. That's a frigging amazing stat. Let it sink in 100% He does not miss when he takes a 3 pointer. Preseason or regular season. It's quite obvious that Coach Brown is holding him back.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#1543 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Ben’s trainer was in the game watching live thats why he was able to shoot the 3
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#1544 » by eagereyez » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm

El Process wrote:I imagine most of us on this board would trade Ben for Luca now days.... Imagine Luca and Embiid together....

Oh well, stuck with him. We better add another dymanic scorer at some point.

Gotta be honest, I love watching Luka play. He could go down in history as the 2nd or 3rd best SF ever. I really want to see him and Embiid play together at some point.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1545 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Found my favorite ben simmons action in the knicks game. Been talking about this since last year..

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#1546 » by Stanford » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:17 pm

76ciology wrote:Found my favorite ben simmons action in the knicks game. Been talking about this since last year..

Read on Twitter

For sure. Allows Embiid to get good position inside on a smaller player. I don't get why they don't do this more often either.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#1547 » by youngcrev » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Stanford wrote:
76ciology wrote:Found my favorite ben simmons action in the knicks game. Been talking about this since last year..

Read on Twitter

For sure. Allows Embiid to get good position inside on a smaller player. I don't get why they don't do this more often either.

It's an interesting set that feels like it should be a mess, but could be tough to stop. They probably don't need to switch it unless Ben starts taking those foul shot length jumpers, but even without a switch you are getting Jo in deep and in a spot to make a quick move.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Post#1548 » by 76thBearCub » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Wouldn't you defend it by doubling off Simmons and giving him that elbow jumper? Now once he shows he will take it and make it a decent amount of the time...

Sent from my LML212VL using RealGM mobile app
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Post#1549 » by djsunyc » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter

whoever was #1 on the knicks didn't double embiid. if he swarms him on the pass leaving ben wide open, is embiid gonna pass back out to him and is ben gonna pull the trigger? imho this isn't that difficult to defend if it's scouted for.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#1550 » by youngcrev » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:33 pm

What's crazy is all 5 Knicks defenders are in the paint on that play. If you can get Jo the ball that deep, it's a bucket, period. Unless he's trying to catch an oop or something.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#1551 » by kriss73 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:23 pm

On the Sixers' practice court, Brown sometimes outlines two rectangular areas along the baseline on either side of the paint, extending a few feet toward each corner and up to the foul line. Brown calls it the "low zone," aka the dunker spot, and it is where Simmons should often be when he's not handling the ball or spotting up. It is an imperfect solution to the Sixers' defining structural issue: Their point guard can't, or won't, shoot. (His free throw attempts have also dropped by almost half, slightly alarming.) Hanging in the low zone is a way of keeping Simmons productive -- as a lob threat, cutter, offensive rebounder -- when he is otherwise in the way.

Brown and Simmons both harbor ambitions for Simmons well beyond the low zone. Brown says he has designed plays specifically for Simmons to shoot corner 3s; Simmons had taken none until draining his first career triple against the Knicks Wednesday night. "I want him in the corners," Brown says. "I want him shooting 3s -- on his time frame."

But if Simmons arrives in the low zone, he needs to stay there, Brown says. "Two inches outside that, and it's the dead zone," Brown says. "You're killing plays. You're in Joel's way. You will either be in the corner, or the low zone. Anything else is unacceptable."

An year later maybe, but I think it's a nice way to start.
Simmons needs to take confidence with corner threes, first of all.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
notericjr
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#1552 » by notericjr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:43 pm

kriss73 wrote:On the Sixers' practice court, Brown sometimes outlines two rectangular areas along the baseline on either side of the paint, extending a few feet toward each corner and up to the foul line. Brown calls it the "low zone," aka the dunker spot, and it is where Simmons should often be when he's not handling the ball or spotting up. It is an imperfect solution to the Sixers' defining structural issue: Their point guard can't, or won't, shoot. (His free throw attempts have also dropped by almost half, slightly alarming.) Hanging in the low zone is a way of keeping Simmons productive -- as a lob threat, cutter, offensive rebounder -- when he is otherwise in the way.

Brown and Simmons both harbor ambitions for Simmons well beyond the low zone. Brown says he has designed plays specifically for Simmons to shoot corner 3s; Simmons had taken none until draining his first career triple against the Knicks Wednesday night. "I want him in the corners," Brown says. "I want him shooting 3s -- on his time frame."

But if Simmons arrives in the low zone, he needs to stay there, Brown says. "Two inches outside that, and it's the dead zone," Brown says. "You're killing plays. You're in Joel's way. You will either be in the corner, or the low zone. Anything else is unacceptable."

An year later maybe, but I think it's a nice way to start.
Simmons needs to take confidence with corner threes, first of all.

thats actually some really interesting insight. a lot of people just assumed ben was loitering around the dunkers spot for no reason
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1553 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:06 am

djsunyc wrote:

Read on Twitter

whoever was #1 on the knicks didn't double embiid. if he swarms him on the pass leaving ben wide open, is embiid gonna pass back out to him and is ben gonna pull the trigger? imho this isn't that difficult to defend if it's scouted for.

Hard to double Biid because once Biid screens Ben, Ben becomes a threat. Not only is Ben near the rim (his killzone) but he already has a step ahead over his defender who is coming off from a Biid screen. Defense reaction is to cover ben. From what I saw in these actions, defense sometimes could trap the ball handler (Ben), but I’m confident Ben can throw a lob to Biid in that scenario.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1554 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 am

Read on Twitter

The guy who is better will always get beaten by the other guy who continuously wants to be better. In the infinite game, ”better” is better than “best”.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,713

Post#1555 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:06 pm

IDK about that brandon Ingram is a better scorer thats for sure but its not hard being a better scorer than Ben.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1556 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm not an Ingram guy, but it's hard to argue with, at this point. He elevated his game. Ben hasn't.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#1557 » by Lou_23 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:55 pm

I always liked him, but come on, until his team is able to win....
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#1558 » by Chris76 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:34 am

Kobblehead wrote:I'm not an Ingram guy, but it's hard to argue with, at this point. He elevated his game. Ben hasn't.

I disagree that Simmons has not elevated his game. Ben's defense, passing, and finishing have improved greatly.

Horford, Harris, Korkmaz, and others get open looks from Simmons. Not many players make the right pass consistently, Ben does it naturally.

Soon, Simmons will develop a consistent midrange game and become a 25 point scorer.

Unfortunately, Simmons may never become a 3pt shooter but his 100% effort and other elite skills will give the Sixers a chance to be very successful.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1559 » by kio80 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:52 am

Kobblehead wrote:I'm not an Ingram guy, but it's hard to argue with, at this point. He elevated his game. Ben hasn't.

You are just not a Ben guy, we all know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1560 » by Kolkmania » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:26 am

If Ingram is really a 46.3% three point shooter on average volume and a 60% midrange shooter (between 10-16 ft), sure.

However, he'll inevitably come back to earth and despite his interesting length, he's a below average defender. This feels like a small sample overreaction.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers