michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#161 » by michaelm » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 am

76ciology wrote:
moistie wrote:Ben Simmons sucks. Trade him. /s

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If we can get Kawhi or AD in return, you wouldnt trade him?

Kawhi is obviously a significantly better player at this point in time but has not been notably robust in recent seasons, while Simmons has hardly missed a game since he actually got on the court in the NBA, and signing Kawhi would give the Sixers 2 great players with chronic knee problems.

Davis is both fool's gold as a player imo on evidence thus far and not robust either.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#162 » by Winejk » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:40 am

One thing about Simmons that absolutely irks me is he's always right up against the 8 second rule getting the ball in the front court. He's always passing half court as the shot clock hits 16 seconds. One time it is going to bite him in the ass at a crucial moment.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#163 » by Kova » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:13 am

As long as Ben keeps being this aggressive and assertive on the floor, we will win this in 5. Even without Joel.
His aggressiveness opens space for our shooters without him having to be an outside threat.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,284

Post#164 » by WestGOAT » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:46 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:I can't stand the flip flopping on this board. How quickly we forget how important Embiid was to our 3rd quarter surge in game 2. THE TEAM IS NOT BETTER WITHOUT EMBIID.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Embiid is by far the important player, but he's also far too injury prone to rely on.

Also right now the fit is too awkward between Embiid and Simmons. 76ers either get a coach in that can make it work long-term, or they ship one for assets to build around one of them.
spotted in Bologna
moistie
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#165 » by moistie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:09 am

76ciology wrote:

I'll take my chances with a twenty two year old stud with court vision, an already highly developed defensive game, a work ethic who plays for the team (not stats).

You guys are convinced he will never improve his jump shot, that he is a finished product at 22. I don't see it that way.

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#166 » by phillynative » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:28 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:I can't stand the flip flopping on this board. How quickly we forget how important Embiid was to our 3rd quarter surge in game 2. THE TEAM IS NOT BETTER WITHOUT EMBIID.

Ofcourse not. But you knew the non sixer , ben Simmons stans were going to show face.

I'm just happy Ben had a great game , he needed ,the team needed it. Ben was able to get to the rim and be aggressive without another big man in the paint and also with hot shooting from tobi and Reddick opening up the floor.

We already know the type of defenders and defense that give Ben a hard time the Nets just dont have that type of guy. Ben did what he was supposed to do.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#167 » by Tomjas » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am

phillynative wrote:

Ofcourse not. But you knew the non sixer , ben Simmons stans were going to show face.

I'm just happy Ben had a great game , he needed ,the team needed it. Ben was able to get to the rim and be aggressive without another big man in the paint and also with hot shooting from tobi and Reddick opening up the floor.

We already know the type of defenders and defense that give Ben a hard time the Nets just dont have that type of guy. Ben did what he was supposed to do.

He’s 22 and doing things that very few players of his age have done in history

Same can be said for Joel

Novel idea: construct a roster & system that suits them both
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#168 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Tomjas wrote:Novel idea: construct a roster & system that suits them both

That's kinda impossible
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#169 » by Tomjas » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Fischella wrote:

That's kinda impossible

Not at all

Both need shooters to space the floor

Add a 5 who can run plus a 1 who can pass

Job done
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#170 » by kuclas » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Tomjas wrote:
Fischella wrote:

That's kinda impossible

Not at all

Job done

There are not many true 5’s who can run/defend the rim and pass. Everyone talks about small ball. It’s hard to find a 5.

The nets are the perfect example of lacking a true 5. U can’t play small ball. U need a big stretch 4 (like Horford with his longer arms) or KD (who’s really a 6 11 with long arms)
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#171 » by sixers hoops » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Tomjas wrote:
Fischella wrote:

That's kinda impossible

Not at all

Job done

I’ve already wrote this in detail earlier in the thread, but Ben has looked very good moving to the four in halfcourt sets. And when he defends fours, and subsequently plays closer to the rim, he gets more rebounds and opportunities to run the break. I think he already has a passable post game.

I would strongly consider focusing on Ben developing a 12-14 shot and increase his minutes at the four. I would target a new starting point guard that can shoot to complement the group.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#172 » by reignfire » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:40 pm

phillynative wrote:

Bingo.

Ben played really well and helped the Sixers win. But his issue was never performance vs teams like the Nets. He has great numbers for a reason. He gets them vs bad teams.

Against good teams he loses all aggression. Except the Warrors, he's a matchup nightmare for them.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#173 » by jbent87 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:49 pm

If you're still throwing shade at Ben Simmons after last night you're an idiot. Best game of his career, on a night when it needed to be. Major, major props.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,853

Post#174 » by AirP. » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Tomjas wrote:
Fischella wrote:

That's kinda impossible

Not at all

Job done

So basically Houston with a nonshooting Hardin and a 3pt(bad) shooting Capella. Good luck with that.

Embiid and Simmons are franchise level talents, that does not mean they synergize well with each other, they both need certain types of teammates to maximize their talents. Both need 4 good 3pt shooters which neither will have when they're both on the court together.... which happens more often in the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#175 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm

moistie wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I'll take my chances with a twenty two year old stud with court vision, an already highly developed defensive game, a work ethic who plays for the team (not stats).

You guys are convinced he will never improve his jump shot, that he is a finished product at 22. I don't see it that way.

Ben may or may not improve his jumper.

Sixers will be a much better team if we get Kahwi or AD in return for Ben.

Biid’s load management is like Duncan in his final years. I’m not going to put all my eggs with the developmemt of Ben’s shooting
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#176 » by sixers hoops » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:10 pm

76ciology wrote:
moistie wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Ben may or may not improve his jumper.

Sixers will be a much better team if we get Kahwi or AD in return for Ben.

Biid’s load management is like Duncan in his final years. I’m not going to put all my eggs with the developmemt of Ben’s shooting

They say jumpshots are correctable, but you don’t see a ton of poor shooters become very good shooters. I can name a bunch of players who have improved their jumper, but none of them were as poor a jump shooter as Ben.

I particularly am not confident in him developing a three. I think he could add a midrange shot, but I see his perimeter shot looking pretty much the same next year. I think correctly a release point or adjusting elbow placement is one thing. Players who need most of their shot corrected often struggle mentally trying to build the new muscle memory. Or maybe I am suffering from PTSD from the Fultz experience.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#177 » by reignfire » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:21 pm

jbent87 wrote:If you're still throwing shade at Ben Simmons after last night you're an idiot. Best game of his career, on a night when it needed to be. Major, major props.

Ben Simmons' stats in the PLAYOFFS last year vs the Heat:

18/11/9 on 50% shooting and 71% FT. He also had the the highest game score on the team that series.

He has done this before.

Then he played the Celtics. He didn't play slightly worse. He played much worse and became the 3/4th most important player on the team.

He deserves huge props for game 2/3. But he is NOT entering new territory here.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#178 » by sixers hoops » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:30 pm

reignfire wrote:
jbent87 wrote:If you're still throwing shade at Ben Simmons after last night you're an idiot. Best game of his career, on a night when it needed to be. Major, major props.

18/11/9 on 50% shooting and 71% FT. He also had the the highest game score on the team that series.

He has done this before.

Then he played the Celtics. He didn't play slightly worse. He played much worse and became the 3/4th most important player on the team.

He will face some elite halfcourt defenses, and we will need him to keep finding ways to make an impact.

Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, and Indiana are all very good defensive teams, so he will need to do it against those teams in tough playoffs series for us to be successful every year.
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#179 » by Ben Simmons » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:51 pm

reignfire wrote:

He has done this before.

Ben Simmons vs Celtics 2018 Playoffs:
14.4 points, 8.2 rebounds, 6.4 assists, .475fg .696ft (btw, wasn't his free-throw shooting supposed to be a liability?)
The fact that everybody was raving about Boston's defense, and yet they still let a rookie produce a stat-line like that....
And the "drop" in scoring (still almost the same as regular season) was exclusively due to Game 2 - that was when we led by 22 @ Boston and he only attempted 4 shots - primarily because our 3-point-shooters got us that 22 point lead and he logically kept feeding them :D
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#180 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Who exactly do the Nets have that is a defensive stopper who can bother Simmons like Kawhi or Horford? we know Simmons is ridiculously talented and without working out and trying to improve his skills in the gym, he is stronger and faster than 95% of players in the league, so he can score on them. The real test is when he plays against players that are close to his talent level that can defend him.
Still though, he wasn't afraid of the moment and showed up, in some ways it is improvement.
Great takes since 2024-04-20

Return to Philadelphia 76ers