ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Foshan, Sixerscan

User avatar
Simmons25
Veteran
Posts: 2,919
And1: 2,024
Joined: Sep 27, 2016
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#641 » by Simmons25 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:00 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:Ben has been working with respected nba trainer Chris Johnson for several weeks In LA. A guy who also works with Jimmy Butler. We just have to hope and pray he gets Ben to shoot with his right hand and put In a ton of reps.


Switching shooting hands is just not going to happen. Not with this team in win now mode for next season.

Maybe if we were aiming to win a ring in 4-5 years you could legitimately consider changing hands now so that when he is in his prime he will be a half decent shooter. But if you change hands now the chances of him shooting anything close to even 25% next year is virtually nil.... and I know for a fact nobody here or out there in Philly land has the patience to see that next year.

Just the amount of strength you have to build up in your wrists to get used to shooting from anywhere near the free throw line will take years. I think people are underestimating how hard it is.... and Ben using layups and hooks with his right is absolutely no evidence that he can shoot better his right. 2 completely different actions.

I'd much rather he just kept practising with his left and they fix the elbow flare. The pathway to getting a half decent shot next year is much more shorter that way.
172 games - 1 three pointer
PhillyPhilly
Rookie
Posts: 1,003
And1: 374
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
       

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#642 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:32 am

Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Ben has been working with respected nba trainer Chris Johnson for several weeks In LA. A guy who also works with Jimmy Butler. We just have to hope and pray he gets Ben to shoot with his right hand and put In a ton of reps.


Switching shooting hands is just not going to happen. Not with this team in win now mode for next season.

Maybe if we were aiming to win a ring in 4-5 years you could legitimately consider changing hands now so that when he is in his prime he will be a half decent shooter. But if you change hands now the chances of him shooting anything close to even 25% next year is virtually nil.... and I know for a fact nobody here or out there in Philly land has the patience to see that next year.

Just the amount of strength you have to build up in your wrists to get used to shooting from anywhere near the free throw line will take years. I think people are underestimating how hard it is.... and Ben using layups and hooks with his right is absolutely no evidence that he can shoot better his right. 2 completely different actions.

I'd much rather he just kept practising with his left and they fix the elbow flare. The pathway to getting a half decent shot next year is much more shorter that way.


COMPLETELY DISAGREE. Firstly he doesn't just shoot lay-ups and hooks with his right hand, he also has the push shot which has the form of a jumper anyway. And he's different from most nba players who have switched hands before because he shoots 98% of the time with his right hand so there would be no need to build muscle memory, it would simply be like adding a new shot to his game. Ben's lefty jumper is never likely to be successful because he's constantly fighting against his spring, weird elbow placement and release. I firmly believe IF he puts up a ton of right hand jumpers In the gym and then continue to develop it In In game situations with Australia then we could hopefully see a passable jumper next season.
mhunt
Pro Prospect
Posts: 953
And1: 71
Joined: Jan 22, 2003

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#643 » by mhunt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Ben has been working with respected nba trainer Chris Johnson for several weeks In LA. A guy who also works with Jimmy Butler. We just have to hope and pray he gets Ben to shoot with his right hand and put In a ton of reps.


Switching shooting hands is just not going to happen. Not with this team in win now mode for next season.

Maybe if we were aiming to win a ring in 4-5 years you could legitimately consider changing hands now so that when he is in his prime he will be a half decent shooter. But if you change hands now the chances of him shooting anything close to even 25% next year is virtually nil.... and I know for a fact nobody here or out there in Philly land has the patience to see that next year.

Just the amount of strength you have to build up in your wrists to get used to shooting from anywhere near the free throw line will take years. I think people are underestimating how hard it is.... and Ben using layups and hooks with his right is absolutely no evidence that he can shoot better his right. 2 completely different actions.

I'd much rather he just kept practising with his left and they fix the elbow flare. The pathway to getting a half decent shot next year is much more shorter that way.


normally, i'd agree with you but ben is a special case, imo. i believe his right is his strong hand. whenever i've seen him launch full court baseball passes, it's been with his right arm. heck, the threw out the first pitch at a phils game & threw righty.
User avatar
sixerswillrule
RealGM
Posts: 16,165
And1: 3,199
Joined: Jul 24, 2003
Location: DC Area

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#644 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Ben has been working with respected nba trainer Chris Johnson for several weeks In LA. A guy who also works with Jimmy Butler. We just have to hope and pray he gets Ben to shoot with his right hand and put In a ton of reps.


Switching shooting hands is just not going to happen. Not with this team in win now mode for next season.

Maybe if we were aiming to win a ring in 4-5 years you could legitimately consider changing hands now so that when he is in his prime he will be a half decent shooter. But if you change hands now the chances of him shooting anything close to even 25% next year is virtually nil.... and I know for a fact nobody here or out there in Philly land has the patience to see that next year.

Just the amount of strength you have to build up in your wrists to get used to shooting from anywhere near the free throw line will take years. I think people are underestimating how hard it is.... and Ben using layups and hooks with his right is absolutely no evidence that he can shoot better his right. 2 completely different actions.

I'd much rather he just kept practising with his left and they fix the elbow flare. The pathway to getting a half decent shot next year is much more shorter that way.


The decent form he had in high school gives some hope he can return to that. I mostly agree about the switching hands, that it would take a lot of time. It's something he should have started after he broke his foot. People are just puzzled because 99.9% of players shoot with their dominant scoring hand so Ben shooting with his weak scoring hand and also being a very bad shooter suggests there might be a connection. But yeah it's probably too late to switch at this point.
TheBallsDeeper
Rookie
Posts: 1,019
And1: 1,136
Joined: Nov 20, 2017
       

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#645 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:28 am

mhunt wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Ben has been working with respected nba trainer Chris Johnson for several weeks In LA. A guy who also works with Jimmy Butler. We just have to hope and pray he gets Ben to shoot with his right hand and put In a ton of reps.


Switching shooting hands is just not going to happen. Not with this team in win now mode for next season.

Maybe if we were aiming to win a ring in 4-5 years you could legitimately consider changing hands now so that when he is in his prime he will be a half decent shooter. But if you change hands now the chances of him shooting anything close to even 25% next year is virtually nil.... and I know for a fact nobody here or out there in Philly land has the patience to see that next year.

Just the amount of strength you have to build up in your wrists to get used to shooting from anywhere near the free throw line will take years. I think people are underestimating how hard it is.... and Ben using layups and hooks with his right is absolutely no evidence that he can shoot better his right. 2 completely different actions.

I'd much rather he just kept practising with his left and they fix the elbow flare. The pathway to getting a half decent shot next year is much more shorter that way.


normally, i'd agree with you but ben is a special case, imo. i believe his right is his strong hand. whenever i've seen him launch full court baseball passes, it's been with his right arm. heck, the threw out the first pitch at a phils game & threw righty.

It's not going to take years to build up the strength - he's not five years old, he has the strength already. Have a look at this video, his right-handed free throws already look better than his left. It's only arrogance that is holding him back, and possibly costing Philly a championship.

Read on Twitter
?lang=en
PhillyPhilly
Rookie
Posts: 1,003
And1: 374
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
       

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#646 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
mhunt wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
Switching shooting hands is just not going to happen. Not with this team in win now mode for next season.

Maybe if we were aiming to win a ring in 4-5 years you could legitimately consider changing hands now so that when he is in his prime he will be a half decent shooter. But if you change hands now the chances of him shooting anything close to even 25% next year is virtually nil.... and I know for a fact nobody here or out there in Philly land has the patience to see that next year.

Just the amount of strength you have to build up in your wrists to get used to shooting from anywhere near the free throw line will take years. I think people are underestimating how hard it is.... and Ben using layups and hooks with his right is absolutely no evidence that he can shoot better his right. 2 completely different actions.

I'd much rather he just kept practising with his left and they fix the elbow flare. The pathway to getting a half decent shot next year is much more shorter that way.


normally, i'd agree with you but ben is a special case, imo. i believe his right is his strong hand. whenever i've seen him launch full court baseball passes, it's been with his right arm. heck, the threw out the first pitch at a phils game & threw righty.

It's not going to take years to build up the strength - he's not five years old, he has the strength already. Have a look at this video, his right-handed free throws already look better than his left. It's only arrogance that is holding him back, and possibly costing Philly a championship.

Read on Twitter
?lang=en


Thank you for posting that video. The form and release are lightyears ahead of his lefty one's and the article is spot on describing the differences between the two. The fact that he's already got the mechanics and release and has practiced the shot gives me even more confidence that he could easily switch hands and be successful. I pray we see Ben come back with righty jumpers, I really do.
kio80
Junior
Posts: 451
And1: 283
Joined: Nov 22, 2018
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#647 » by kio80 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 am

I wonder if he’s gonna take a jump shot in this camp. Wish I am 7-17, so I can challenge him to a shoot out.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,581
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#648 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:11 pm

kio80 wrote:I wonder if he’s gonna take a jump shot in this camp. Wish I am 7-17, so I can challenge him to a shoot out.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My money is on Ben.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Tomjas
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,300
And1: 879
Joined: Nov 04, 2017
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#649 » by Tomjas » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:08 pm

Image

Not being trained by his brother and has been hitting the weights
User avatar
nurseryc
Analyst
Posts: 3,117
And1: 981
Joined: Mar 16, 2012

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#650 » by nurseryc » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:00 pm

Simmons is about to have his best offensive season with the Sixers. No longer playing alongside Butler who was a terrible fit for Simmons, the team is now constructed the right way and Simmons will flourish playing alongside Horford.
cool93
Starter
Posts: 2,202
And1: 1,350
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#651 » by cool93 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:11 pm

nurseryc wrote:Simmons is about to have his best offensive season with the Sixers. No longer playing alongside Butler who was a terrible fit for Simmons, the team is now constructed the right way and Simmons will flourish playing alongside Horford.
All I care about is how he looks in half court offence against teams with good defence. That's what'll make a difference in playoffs. That's where he killed the team so far.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
shlo
Sophomore
Posts: 201
And1: 101
Joined: Jan 25, 2015
     

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#652 » by shlo » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:25 pm

nurseryc wrote:Simmons is about to have his best offensive season with the Sixers. No longer playing alongside Butler who was a terrible fit for Simmons, the team is now constructed the right way and Simmons will flourish playing alongside Horford.

What was Simmons' excuse his first post-season against Boston?
johanliebert
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,558
And1: 2,403
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#653 » by johanliebert » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:46 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
mhunt wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
Switching shooting hands is just not going to happen. Not with this team in win now mode for next season.

Maybe if we were aiming to win a ring in 4-5 years you could legitimately consider changing hands now so that when he is in his prime he will be a half decent shooter. But if you change hands now the chances of him shooting anything close to even 25% next year is virtually nil.... and I know for a fact nobody here or out there in Philly land has the patience to see that next year.

Just the amount of strength you have to build up in your wrists to get used to shooting from anywhere near the free throw line will take years. I think people are underestimating how hard it is.... and Ben using layups and hooks with his right is absolutely no evidence that he can shoot better his right. 2 completely different actions.

I'd much rather he just kept practising with his left and they fix the elbow flare. The pathway to getting a half decent shot next year is much more shorter that way.


normally, i'd agree with you but ben is a special case, imo. i believe his right is his strong hand. whenever i've seen him launch full court baseball passes, it's been with his right arm. heck, the threw out the first pitch at a phils game & threw righty.

It's not going to take years to build up the strength - he's not five years old, he has the strength already. Have a look at this video, his right-handed free throws already look better than his left. It's only arrogance that is holding him back, and possibly costing Philly a championship.

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

lol i can catch with my off hand as well it doesnt mean anything is that really your evidence?

hes an NBA player i really hope he can shoot ft's with either hand man. regardless it takes years of practise to shoot with your off hand in game. Ive heard kobe spent years shooting with his left in the event he may need to shoot left handed.
johanliebert
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,558
And1: 2,403
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#654 » by johanliebert » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:50 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Tomjas wrote:Simmons is training with Jimmy’s shooting coach according to Pompey


Yep, the same guy who took Jimmy's offensive game to the next level apparently. He also works with Jaylen Brown too. HERE is a good interview about how he works. Sounds like he's very blunt and will tell it like it is. Can't see him tolerating Ben's mechanics and form with the jumper he was displaying this season tbh. Gonna be interesting to see what he does with Ben now. No-doubt Jimmy is the one who put them together so this is positive news and at least Ben is working with someone other than his brother now.

I wonder if he works with Johnson until he leaves for the Australia camp? Or will he also see Magic and Dennis Scott this summer which was allegedly the plan?

hate to break it to you but professionals dont care what trainers have to say. they never played at an elite level and most the time teach moves guys that dont translate in game situations.

this guy looks 5'10 what can he teach a 6'11 PG? a little mans game? Ben will improve by the hours he puts in during the reg season right now everyone goes to the same trainers.
mithrandir17
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,571
And1: 818
Joined: Jan 30, 2017
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#655 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Eyeamok
Veteran
Posts: 2,815
And1: 1,267
Joined: Mar 02, 2006

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#656 » by Eyeamok » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:08 pm

johanliebert wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Tomjas wrote:Simmons is training with Jimmy’s shooting coach according to Pompey


Yep, the same guy who took Jimmy's offensive game to the next level apparently. He also works with Jaylen Brown too. HERE is a good interview about how he works. Sounds like he's very blunt and will tell it like it is. Can't see him tolerating Ben's mechanics and form with the jumper he was displaying this season tbh. Gonna be interesting to see what he does with Ben now. No-doubt Jimmy is the one who put them together so this is positive news and at least Ben is working with someone other than his brother now.

I wonder if he works with Johnson until he leaves for the Australia camp? Or will he also see Magic and Dennis Scott this summer which was allegedly the plan?

hate to break it to you but professionals dont care what trainers have to say. they never played at an elite level and most the time teach moves guys that dont translate in game situations.

this guy looks 5'10 what can he teach a 6'11 PG? a little mans game? Ben will improve by the hours he puts in during the reg season right now everyone goes to the same trainers.


IMHO you are wrong. Many people think playing in a game is where you do the bulk of your learning and improving. It's not true the bulk of your learning and improvement is done in the homework period....the work you do when you are not in game, the correct reps, the correct shooting mechanics, the correct movements. You do them over and over again until they become automatic. Then you practice them in game time simulations 1 on 1's 3 on 3's all the while building up towards the time you can actually use them in a real game. And while this is going on you have to be on guard not to fall back into your old ways of doing things when you hit a rough patch (because the old way of doing things are deeply ingrained in you). It's an on going process.

Someone who understand this can teach you a lot. John Wooden taught many young men how to play basketball and even more how to coach. Some would consider him one of the greatest coaches ever. How many pro games did he play?
You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo

“People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer.”

Andrew Smith
mhunt
Pro Prospect
Posts: 953
And1: 71
Joined: Jan 22, 2003

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#657 » by mhunt » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:39 pm

ben's gonna say yes, right? :uhoh:
SwingOnThis
Freshman
Posts: 89
And1: 80
Joined: Nov 01, 2013
       

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#658 » by SwingOnThis » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:42 pm

mhunt wrote:ben's gonna say yes, right? :uhoh:


Doesn't matter, no one will offer sheet a guard that can't shoot. :wink:
User avatar
stormi
Junior
Posts: 346
And1: 263
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#659 » by stormi » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:55 pm

A 22 year old sophomore all-star top 5 point guard?

Pay that man
User avatar
NoDopeOnSundays
Analyst
Posts: 3,649
And1: 5,052
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
         

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#660 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:14 pm

mhunt wrote:ben's gonna say yes, right? :uhoh:



If he doesn't ESPN will descend on the Sixers and the circus about where Ben will play next will start.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers