Game 3 2019 playoffs Sixers @ Nets 8:00 pm ET 17.04.2019

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,531

Re: Game 3 2019 playoffs Sixers @ Nets 8:00 pm ET 17.04.2019 

Post#361 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:30 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:Why didnt the Nets attack Jj’s defense unlike in G1?

I watched last night with a bunch of people and couldn’t catch a lot of details. I am going to rewatch later. I really want to see how JJ looked on defense, and who adjusted. Also I’d really like to focus on how Tobias got his shots. I think utilizing him effectively is huge with Embiid out.

With Tobias and JJ, are they simply just on and off some nights? Or are we not doing enough to get them going early? Game 1 Tobias was getting the ball late in the shot clock and for deep threes earlier in the game. JJ was shooting off balance threes on the move when he clearly wasn’t on. Can we do more to get them easy looks earlier in the game to get them going?

Im at the side of “we need to take turns running sets for each of our starting unit players” that we can’t just make it free flow (GSW style).

It’s a rhythm and psychological thing I guess. More pressure if you only have limited opportunities. Without Biid, we got to run more sets for Tobias and it got him going like how he did with the Clips.

I just finished watching the replay, thus the late responses, but nets were still denying Jj the ball like how they did in G1. I’d say most part why JJ got good looks was because of Joe Harris being a step slow on defense this game.

Just my observations
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,531

Post#362 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:31 pm

One more thing. I dont know if Ben is deliberately trolling (average at halfcourt comment). But he’s been trying to slow the pace real slow and it seems to be working for us.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#363 » by sixers hoops » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

I watched last night with a bunch of people and couldn’t catch a lot of details. I am going to rewatch later. I really want to see how JJ looked on defense, and who adjusted. Also I’d really like to focus on how Tobias got his shots. I think utilizing him effectively is huge with Embiid out.

With Tobias and JJ, are they simply just on and off some nights? Or are we not doing enough to get them going early? Game 1 Tobias was getting the ball late in the shot clock and for deep threes earlier in the game. JJ was shooting off balance threes on the move when he clearly wasn’t on. Can we do more to get them easy looks earlier in the game to get them going?

Im at the side of “we need to take turns running sets for each of our starting unit players” that we can’t just make it free flow (GSW style).

It’s a rhythm and psychological thing I guess. More pressure if you only have limited opportunities. Without Biid, we got to run more sets for Tobias and it got him going like how he did with the Clips.

I just finished watching the replay, thus the late responses, but nets were still denying Jj the ball like how they did in G1. I’d say most part why JJ got good looks was because of Joe Harris being a step slow on defense this game.

Just my observations

Often the announcers, many former coaches, go right to “find mismatches and get those players going.” Makes sense for us when we have five very good offensive players.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#364 » by Kolkmania » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:35 pm

sixers hoops wrote:

They're not switching screens when Harris or Carroll is either the screener or running around screens. Aside from Harris himself, nobody of the Nets can really shoot when they're going full motion. So great adjustment by Brett. It works because Simmons and Butler are still bothering Russell and Dinwiddie when they're shooting off the dribble.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#365 » by Kolkmania » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:40 pm

Ben Simmons was absolutely fantastic today, not only on the offensive end, but defensively he was unbelievable.

Great that we won, but stop playing Monroe this much. I get that Brett wants to keep the same rotations, but he's a blackhole on offense, clogs the paint and he's one of the worst defenders in the NBA. Maybe start him, but 24.5 minutes is way too much. He's only playable when Russell is on the court, he's chucking shots anyway, so why bother having a rim protector or someone who can switch.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Game 3 2019 playoffs Sixers @ Nets 8:00 pm ET 17.04.2019 

Post#366 » by bball4life » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:15 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:At this point, I think we’ve seen what Nets can throw at us. Most of it involves clogging the paint and giving up 3s. Tonight, JJ and Tobias made them pay. Their interior is so weak that even Ben joined the party.

I love how after game one, half the people on here knew the Nets were a horrible matchup for us and all of a sudden were taking the Nets to win the series.

The reality is we are way too talented for the Nets. The only way they beat us is when we hand over the game by forcing bad threes, allowing JJ to get repeatedly isolated, and turn the ball over like crazy. If we play smart basketball and run good plays to get our guys going with quality looks early in the game, we are way too good for the Nets.

Brett Brown needs to call a quality game and the players execute. With a healthy Embiid, with this team being coached to maximize their talents, they should be closer to contending with the raps and bucks, as opposed to worrying about struggling to beat the Nets.

Note: I am aware that implementing an offense that gets all five guys quality looks when they lack playing time and don’t complement each other perfectly is easier said than done. However, I have to believe there are coaches in the league salivating at the offensive possibilities with Jojo, Ben, Jimmy, JJ, and Tobias.

I don’t think there is an immediate solution to unclogging the paint at the moment, since Jo and Ben operate inside, but we still have some serious shot creators that I believe a good offensive mind can do a lot with.

A good start to unclogging is using Ben as the DHO screener and roll guy for Tobias/Jimmy even when Embiid returns. Just let embiid camp down low. Then if Ben gets the ball back when rolling to the basket he either takes it to the rack or dumps it to embiid if embiid’s guy helps. This could be borderline unstoppable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#367 » by youngcrev » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:51 pm

bball4life wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
I love how after game one, half the people on here knew the Nets were a horrible matchup for us and all of a sudden were taking the Nets to win the series.

The reality is we are way too talented for the Nets. The only way they beat us is when we hand over the game by forcing bad threes, allowing JJ to get repeatedly isolated, and turn the ball over like crazy. If we play smart basketball and run good plays to get our guys going with quality looks early in the game, we are way too good for the Nets.

Brett Brown needs to call a quality game and the players execute. With a healthy Embiid, with this team being coached to maximize their talents, they should be closer to contending with the raps and bucks, as opposed to worrying about struggling to beat the Nets.

Note: I am aware that implementing an offense that gets all five guys quality looks when they lack playing time and don’t complement each other perfectly is easier said than done. However, I have to believe there are coaches in the league salivating at the offensive possibilities with Jojo, Ben, Jimmy, JJ, and Tobias.

I don’t think there is an immediate solution to unclogging the paint at the moment, since Jo and Ben operate inside, but we still have some serious shot creators that I believe a good offensive mind can do a lot with.

A good start to unclogging is using Ben as the DHO screener and roll guy for Tobias/Jimmy even when Embiid returns. Just let embiid camp down low. Then if Ben gets the ball back when rolling to the basket he either takes it to the rack or dumps it to embiid if embiid’s guy helps. This could be borderline unstoppable.

Yeah, there's potential there. Ben hasnt worked great in the "dunker spot", but nobody is stopping Embiid that close to the rim on a drop off, and Ben obviously is a far better passer. Plus having him space for the corner 3 is at least an option with Jo.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#368 » by sixers hoops » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 pm

bball4life wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

This is the type of offense I prefer. Just saw a tweet about the first play last night. Ben is a screener for Redick, then Jimmy. Jimmy ends up getting a good look from about 16 or so. Ben is a monster taking the ball to the rack. He is more difficult to stop than he likely realizes.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#369 » by MVP1992 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:43 am

Just watched it. Enjoyable game.

But FFS, their centre only called for one illegal screen. Try almost every one he set is a moving shoving screen holding the defender. He needed a solid knee or three to his inner thigh :x
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”

Return to Philadelphia 76ers