Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Re: Game 4 2019 Playoffs Sixers @ Nets 3PM 

Post#401 » by kingofthecourt67 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:3 big moments of the game
1.)2nd quarter when jimmy and tobias were leading the charge
2.) when Jimmy got ejected then Biid had this “locked” look
3.) last 4 minutes of the game when Biid took over then Jj&mike scott made big shots

Mike scott is a combination of Robert Horry and JR Smith.

I give Brett credit for identifying certain mismatches, but he still left a lot to be desired. His use of Boban and Embiid is generally horrible, although he figured out how to use Embiid at the end of the game.

Boban is an extremely limited player. He struggles with most players defensively, especially when the other team goes small. Boban’s one advantage is that he is a giant who can abuse smaller players under the basket and get rebounds.

So what do Brett do? He uses him exclusively as a screener 25 feet from the basket, so his height becomes useless and he can’t get rebounds. The two plays Boban went down low, he scored and got fouled. Sometimes it seems like Brett lost a bet with the other coach and as a result the other coach gets to coach our team.

Same with Embiid. When they set Embiid up 25 feet from the basket, he often makes bad, telegraphed passes, turns it over trying to dribble, or takes a lazy three. Last five minutes they had him play inside, like a big man, and he looked like he was in a session against the practice coaches.

It’s like Brett didn’t want to do it, but with the game on the line, he was reluctantly forced to play smart basketball. Other teams abuse JJ routinely, but when other teams put in a lineup with no guy over 6’7, we send our center out to the three point line to make it fair. I thought I must be missing something, but no, the minute we started using our big men inside, they Nets were screwed.

I don't think it's as simple as camping our big guys down low and dumping the ball down to them every single time. First off, we saw this in game 1, it's physically taxing for these guys to establish post position, get swarmed by 2-3 guys, and bang down low. It's just not feasible. Second off, we have elite perimeter players who operate well in the PNR. Our fanbase has been clamoring for the PNR all season. Boban is an effective screener who is creating a ton of space for guys like Jimmy to operate.

I'm with you though, Boban and Embiid are obviously better off down low, and I get frustrated during the games at time, particularly with Boban not just going down there any bullying these guys, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized its simply not in the cards. I don't think it's a coincidence that Embiid went down low every time in the last 5 minutes because he was probably saving himself up for that stretch. Pretty smart IMO.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#402 » by sixers hoops » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:31 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
3.) last 4 minutes of the game when Biid took over then Jj&mike scott made big shots

I give Brett credit for identifying certain mismatches, but he still left a lot to be desired. His use of Boban and Embiid is generally horrible, although he figured out how to use Embiid at the end of the game.

Boban is an extremely limited player. He struggles with most players defensively, especially when the other team goes small. Boban’s one advantage is that he is a giant who can abuse smaller players under the basket and get rebounds.

So what do Brett do? He uses him exclusively as a screener 25 feet from the basket, so his height becomes useless and he can’t get rebounds. The two plays Boban went down low, he scored and got fouled. Sometimes it seems like Brett lost a bet with the other coach and as a result the other coach gets to coach our team.

Same with Embiid. When they set Embiid up 25 feet from the basket, he often makes bad, telegraphed passes, turns it over trying to dribble, or takes a lazy three. Last five minutes they had him play inside, like a big man, and he looked like he was in a session against the practice coaches.

It’s like Brett didn’t want to do it, but with the game on the line, he was reluctantly forced to play smart basketball. Other teams abuse JJ routinely, but when other teams put in a lineup with no guy over 6’7, we send our center out to the three point line to make it fair. I thought I must be missing something, but no, the minute we started using our big men inside, they Nets were screwed.

Defensively, my guess is one of Brett’s ideal defensive shots is their PnR ball handler attacking Boban or Biid at the rim (maybe second to challenged perimeter mid range shots). It’s a game of chances like 3pt shooting. Nets got the hot hand in that contest in the 2nd quarter to the point where Boban looked demoralized. I believed, Nets also had a handful of made drives with Biid protecting the paint in the 3rd. Then to end the game, the law of average kicked in and we got a handful of stops to end the game.

Offensively, my guess is Boban’s good on limited sample size but he gives you diminishing returns when you increase the sample size, thus you don’t see him averaging 20/10 despite his good per minute numbers. Thus, if you have a handful of star caliber players playing alongside Boban, you want Boban to have his shots but not to the point that you hunt him at the block like he’s Biid. Nets also incorporates a lot of zoning that in paper boban or biid as a screener for our star perimeter scorer (butler, jj or tobias) is a good action given the amount of distance the opponents C has to cover to switch. Then I feel like we see Boban or Biid taking mid range shots as better shots than having Ben taking it.

Lastly, my no data belief is these small ball teams does lure you to dump the ball in the post that for some reason if you get lured by this for the entire game. And most times, you will lose that game for some strange reason. That is even if you have a clear mismatch. Rick Carlisle and the Mavs is a champion with this.

When Nets play small, can’t we have Ben or Mike Scott at 5?

I agree with just about everything, but the reason the Nets went small was because they had no good bigs. The two times they dumped it to Boban in the post, he scored and got fouled, when four guards jumped on him like he was a game of thrones giant. I wouldn’t outthink ourselves. I would keep dumping it in the post until they prove they can stop it.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#403 » by sixers hoops » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:34 pm

kingofthecourt67 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

I don't think it's as simple as camping our big guys down low and dumping the ball down to them every single time. First off, we saw this in game 1, it's physically taxing for these guys to establish post position, get swarmed by 2-3 guys, and bang down low. It's just not feasible. Second off, we have elite perimeter players who operate well in the PNR. Our fanbase has been clamoring for the PNR all season. Boban is an effective screener who is creating a ton of space for guys like Jimmy to operate.

I'm with you though, Boban and Embiid are obviously better off down low, and I get frustrated during the games at time, particularly with Boban not just going down there any bullying these guys, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized its simply not in the cards. I don't think it's a coincidence that Embiid went down low every time in the last 5 minutes because he was probably saving himself up for that stretch. Pretty smart IMO.

That’s why I post these thoughts. I am looking for the potential rationale Brett could have.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,833

Post#404 » by mjkvol » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:52 pm

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:Turned the game off after the ejections and flagrant which were both terrible calls, glad Sixers won. Now that I see the NBA has doubled down on those decisions, they're just an utter embarrassment. I seriously might be done with the NBA. I love the sport of basketball, but I hate this league and the pussification of it. The fact that fouls have to be reviewed is a joke. It's abusing the technology. Eject someone if they throw a punch, WTF is this pansy "unnecessary force" BS? I honestly hate the NBA anymore. Never in my entire life has it been less enjoyable. I hate how every team bombs away from 3, I hate how you can't touch anyone anymore, I hate how boys can't just be boys. Anyway, that's my rant. Once I calmed down, I was gonna forget about this game, but the fact that the NBA doubled down on their corrupt BS meant to screw the Sixers and pussification is such a joke. This will be the last NBA game I watch this season. That's all I got, go Sixers

Hard to blame you, really. They've taken a sport that was beautiful and physical at the same time, and turned it into a non-contact shooting contest. It isn't just basketball by a long shot. Every sport is being decimated by overlitigation, where the officials have way too much influence on the results.

A cynic might suggest that this is all by design, especially with gambling about to become one the main sources of revenue in every sport, and the leagues becoming de facto sports books.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,833

Post#405 » by mjkvol » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:04 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:god, NBA fans really hate the Sixers. i check out different websites like reddit and deadspin everyone hates Embiid and Simmons more than Satan.

so many bitter fans who expected us to still be 10-72 and "eNdlEssLy tAnKinG" while thinking the Knicks and Lakers would be competing for championships by now.

People hate good teams. They hated Lebron’s Heat teams. They hate the Durant version of the Warriors. We aren’t even that good, but we have a lot of talent, and Embiid is that good. If we win a championship, we will really be hated because most fanbases wish their team tanked for talent like us. I wanted to tank long before Hinkie got here. Despite the attention, we won’t even be favored in the second round though. We have work to do.

Another reason people hate the Sixers is that they generally just hate Philly, and the fact that Embiid is as cocky as he is great certainly adds to that. But who the f***k really cares, anyway?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#406 » by Foshan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 am

Anybody see the two minute report?

I saw the realign headline about Allen being fouled, wonder if there was anything the other way? Spenser D had a huge palming violation before he drained a 3 to keep them in it, I know they don’t call that in the NBA but it was bad even for nba standards.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#407 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 am

Foshan wrote:Anybody see the two minute report?

I saw the realign headline about Allen being fouled, wonder if there was anything the other way? Spenser D had a huge palming violation before he drained a 3 to keep them in it, I know they don’t call that in the NBA but it was bad even for nba standards.

Yeah, it's listed as an incorrect non-call
Comment:Dinwiddie (BKN) brings his right hand underneath the ball and brings it to a pause before continuing his dribble

Based on the time listed (1:45.9) compared to the play-by-play log, it looks like that was the possession that he missed a layup, Allen got the offensive rebound and kicked it out to Russ for that big 3.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#408 » by MVP1992 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:24 am

:oops:

Talking about non calls; how about J. Allen's moving screens all game every game. He doesn't just hold his ground, he shoves and makes overt shoving contact to prevent the defenders going around him.
9-0

‘We’ll teach Donald Trump a valuable lesson: don’t mess with the women in America unless you want to get the benefit’. Joe Biden
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#409 » by Foshan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:29 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Yeah, it's listed as an incorrect non-call
Comment:Dinwiddie (BKN) brings his right hand underneath the ball and brings it to a pause before continuing his dribble

Based on the time listed (1:45.9) compared to the play-by-play log, it looks like that was the possession that he missed a layup, Allen got the offensive rebound and kicked it out to Russ for that big 3.

Yeah pretty big missed call :/
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,510

Post#410 » by AirP. » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Here's the link for the 76ers/Nets 2 minute report, also has videos of what happened.
https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0041800124

Return to Philadelphia 76ers