ImageImageImage

Brett Brown : Not Today!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Re: Brett Brown : End of Days? 

Post#81 » by downtownpie » Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 am

He wont be out of a job for long if he is fired.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#82 » by BullyKing » Sun May 12, 2019 10:24 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I’m gonna chose to believe this isn’t accurate. Regardless of what you think of Brown, leaving his job up to whether a team wins a game 7 on the road and then beats a 60 win team without home court is idiotic. Either he’s the guy or he’s not.

Not sure if it’s true, but Brett’s trying to prepare for the biggest game of his career and this is prob a significant distraction.

A lot of people would just say ignore it, but I don’t think it’s that easy. However, when you have a roster with several all-stars, you are going to have some pretty high expectations every year.

Yeah I don't want to lose of track of this. Regardless of what they ultimately do, the fact that they let this slip the night before our biggest game in almost two decades is an unforgiveable level of incompetence.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#83 » by Tomjas » Sun May 12, 2019 11:03 am

BullyKing wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I’m gonna chose to believe this isn’t accurate. Regardless of what you think of Brown, leaving his job up to whether a team wins a game 7 on the road and then beats a 60 win team without home court is idiotic. Either he’s the guy or he’s not.

Not sure if it’s true, but Brett’s trying to prepare for the biggest game of his career and this is prob a significant distraction.

A lot of people would just say ignore it, but I don’t think it’s that easy. However, when you have a roster with several all-stars, you are going to have some pretty high expectations every year.

Yeah I don't want to lose of track of this. Regardless of what they ultimately do, the fact that they let this slip the night before our biggest game in almost two decades is an unforgiveable level of incompetence.

Team is still playing for BB or else game 6 would have been a write off
USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#84 » by USWAY » Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 am

Brett clearly should get one more year, where hopefully the front office and ownership do not **** up this off-season for us and provide a solid bench. I cannot believe we're doing what we're doing with James Ennis and Mike Scott as the sixth and seventh men and pretty much noone as eighth.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#85 » by hookshot199 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:51 pm

BullyKing wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

You and Sixerscan have both made a strong case to keep Brown. In the end, I think the strongest argument for keeping him is do we have someone available to replace him. I think the leak to Marc Stein was intentional - don't make another stink bomb as you did in game 5. Remember, Harris was seated in the front row with Dr. J as we imploded.

I expect us to be competitive this evening. And win or lose I don't expect any knee-jerk decisions. I am not in favor of bringing in a retread like Lue who, in my mind, has not demonstrated that he can coach a team without LeBron.

I am a bit suspicious of the timing of his decision not to coach the Lakers, that possibly he feels he is in contention - i.e., Brand's fallback position.

I suspect that Harris watched the same unwatchable basketball that we did during the regular year - 50 wins or not. He saw a rigid coach. He saw a coach that struggles to draw up plays. He saw a team that allowed mediocre perimeter shooters look like all-stars. Conversely, he saw a coach that seems to be respected by his young stars.

I think it will come down to one issue - and for the moment let's leave Hinkie out of this; that was Jerry "Rasputin" Colangelo - can Brown win a championship if Harris springs for two mega-contracts?

Harris, who is worth $3.7 billion, has limits on what he can pay to complete the roster. He has no limits on paying a coach. It is my view that we have the perfect coach in Philly, Jay Wright, who reportedly just turned down a huge offer from UCLA. Harris can offer him $10 mil if he wishes, which would nearly quadruple Wright's current salary and put him near the top of salary ranking and wouldn't require him to move his family from Philly, where he's an icon.

I understand the arguments against hiring a college coach. I agree with some of them. On the other hand, our two young superstars are turnover machines, and that isn't likely to be fixed under Brown. Also, with Brown, we can expect another year of JJ, TJ and Boby. I don't even think that Brown would insist on another year of Amir, but who knows!

So, I think if we win today - even if we play competitively and lose - Brown will be offered an extension. And that's probably the way it should be. He surely has upped his game during the playoffs (that's encouraging), and he's outcoached Nick Nurse in my opinion (we all seem to agree).

But we also now find ourselves in a position - based in part on the report by the Celtics fan who sat behind our bench - of depending on Jimmy to keep it all together. That may or may not be good.

Clearly Butler has hitched his wagon to Embiid (which is probably good) and less so to Simmons (the jury's out).

So let's hope we win. Let's hope the Stein leak is a motivator and not a distraction. And please don't interpret a dislike for Brown's coaching, his not developing a bench, etc., etc., as rooting against the Sixers.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#86 » by XDevilBoiX » Sun May 12, 2019 1:10 pm

Most probably know I am not a Brett fan, before the playoffs I wanted him gone. After seeing him make the necessary adjustments that we thought he would never make, I would give him another chance unless they bring in a improvement. Just hold onto him until someone might be unexpected let go then make the change. Just hope Harris think it out throughly before making a knee jerk reaction if they lose game 7.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#87 » by fl311 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Josh Harris is the ultimate wild card.

Nobody has a clue about what he will do this offseason. This is his first opportunity to actually spend money. He’s said all the right things but who knows if he’s actually willing to pay these guys.

He is a lot more involved behind the scenes and I’m not sure that is a good thing
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#88 » by AI_Efficiency » Sun May 12, 2019 1:17 pm

XDevilBoiX wrote:Most probably know I am not a Brett fan, before the playoffs I wanted him gone. After seeing him make the necessary adjustments that we thought he would never make, I would give him another chance unless they bring in a improvement. Just hold onto him until someone might be unexpected let go then make the change. Just hope Harris think it out throughly before making a knee jerk reaction if they lose game 7.

I’m in this boat too. Wasn’t a fan before the playoffs, but he’s made the right adjustments once we got here. Based on that, I would be down to give him one more year, assuming Jimmy and Tobias are willing to re-sign with him still the head coach.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#89 » by hookshot199 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:51 pm

XDevilBoiX wrote:Most probably know I am not a Brett fan, before the playoffs I wanted him gone. After seeing him make the necessary adjustments that we thought he would never make, I would give him another chance unless they bring in a improvement. Just hold onto him until someone might be unexpected let go then make the change. Just hope Harris think it out throughly before making a knee jerk reaction if they lose game 7.

Harris has an IQ somewhere upwards of 1,000 (sic). He's prepared to spring for two mega-contracts
valued in excess of $300 million combined. I wouldn't expect him to make a knee-jerk response. And
in light of being manipulated by Adam Silver and Jerry Colangelo, I would expect him to trust his own
business judgment. He obviously watches at least some of the games - i.e., it would appear he's a fan.
I think he'll do the right thing.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#90 » by the_process » Sun May 12, 2019 2:02 pm

fl311 wrote:Josh Harris is the ultimate wild card.

Nobody has a clue about what he will do this offseason. This is his first opportunity to actually spend money. He’s said all the right things but who knows if he’s actually willing to pay these guys.

He is a lot more involved behind the scenes and I’m not sure that is a good thing

I thought we had David B. Heller, minority owner and shadow GM?
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#91 » by jbent87 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm

BullyKing wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

yep. I truly despise this ownership group. The biggest game of everyone who is involved lives tonight and we now go into it with this cloud over the teams head. Feels like an internal sabotage.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#92 » by reignfire » Sun May 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Rightfully so.

Even thinking it's OK losing to the Raptors with the roster the Sixers have is worse than clueless.

The Raptors, outside of Leonard, is filled with chokers and scrubs. Almost everyone of their players under perform in the playoffs except Leonard. This is not a team the Sixers should lose to.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#93 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2019 2:48 pm

reignfire wrote:Rightfully so.

Even thinking it's OK losing to the Raptors with the roster the Sixers have is worse than clueless.

The Raptors, outside of Leonard, is filled with chokers and scrubs. Almost everyone of their players under perform in the playoffs except Leonard. This is not a team the Sixers should lose to.

3/5 of the Raptors starting lineup wasn't on the team last year... And Siakam wasn't a major component until he broke out this year. Lowry has mostly been a playoff disappointment for them, but he's pretty much the only one that has been a constant in their rotation the past few years.

That team has had the 2nd or 3rd best odds to win the championship pretty much the whole year and you're acting like they are bums... Smh
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#94 » by BullyKing » Sun May 12, 2019 2:52 pm

youngcrev wrote:
reignfire wrote:Rightfully so.

3/5 of the Raptors starting lineup wasn't on the team last year... And Siakam wasn't a major component until he broke out this year. Lowry has mostly been a playoff disappointment for them, but he's pretty much the only one that has been a constant in their rotation the past few years.

That team has had the 2nd or 3rd best odds to win the championship pretty much the whole year and you're acting like they are bums... Smh

And those known dummies in Vegas have favored the Raptors throughout. As has almost all national media people. As I said the other day, some people on this board think we are the Globetrotters and ever other team is the Washington Generals and exist only to lose to us.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,857

Post#95 » by AirP. » Sun May 12, 2019 2:57 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:

I’m in this boat too. Wasn’t a fan before the playoffs, but he’s made the right adjustments once we got here. Based on that, I would be down to give him one more year, assuming Jimmy and Tobias are willing to re-sign with him still the head coach.

Here's the problem, although Brown has made some good adjustments in the playoffs, these are adjustments I was hearing NBA reporters/podcasters talk about Philly needing to do before they were even implemented, basically are these adjustments just no brainer adjustments that he's made?

I watched Philly add Jimmy Butler earlier in the season and saw him marginalized in the offense for 3 quarters, a guy who along with Towns and some defense had Minnesota the 3rd seed in the West before Butler was hurt last year, with Philly he basically just stayed out of the way playing Covington's old job. I get it's hard to change an offense midseason but it was something Brown needed to do with upgraded personnel(especially so early in the season). Now that it's gotten out that his job is on the line(who knows if he knew) we're seeing Butler really being utilized as he could have been utilized this last season, probably winning more games and having possibly home court advantage in the 2nd round(which might end up being the difference in making it to the conference finals).

So the question for ownership is this, is B.Brown just making adjustments MOST NBA coaches would have made and if so outside those adjustments has he done what ownership expected from a coach who has Embiid, Simmons, Butler, Harris and Redick as 5 of their rotational players?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,514

Post#96 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun May 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Aside from getting blown out by 40 points, coming up shorthanded tonight isn't worth him being fired. That's just my opinion. Give him another season with THIS roster, another draft pick, a healthie/improved Zhaire Smith, and one or two solid additions to the bench. It's just way too early to hang this on him. We used him for the "tank", and as soon as he had some decent talent we went out and won 50 games. He deserves some credit for that in my opinion. I hope we keep after tonight. Let next season give us a definite answer.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#97 » by James40 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

You and Sixerscan have both made a strong case to keep Brown. In the end, I think the strongest argument for keeping him is do we have someone available to replace him. I think the leak to Marc Stein was intentional - don't make another stink bomb as you did in game 5. Remember, Harris was seated in the front row with Dr. J as we imploded.

I expect us to be competitive this evening. And win or lose I don't expect any knee-jerk decisions. I am not in favor of bringing in a retread like Lue who, in my mind, has not demonstrated that he can coach a team without LeBron.

I am a bit suspicious of the timing of his decision not to coach the Lakers, that possibly he feels he is in contention - i.e., Brand's fallback position.

I suspect that Harris watched the same unwatchable basketball that we did during the regular year - 50 wins or not. He saw a rigid coach. He saw a coach that struggles to draw up plays. He saw a team that allowed mediocre perimeter shooters look like all-stars. Conversely, he saw a coach that seems to be respected by his young stars.

I think it will come down to one issue - and for the moment let's leave Hinkie out of this; that was Jerry "Rasputin" Colangelo - can Brown win a championship if Harris springs for two mega-contracts?

Harris, who is worth $3.7 billion, has limits on what he can pay to complete the roster. He has no limits on paying a coach. It is my view that we have the perfect coach in Philly, Jay Wright, who reportedly just turned down a huge offer from UCLA. Harris can offer him $10 mil if he wishes, which would nearly quadruple Wright's current salary and put him near the top of salary ranking and wouldn't require him to move his family from Philly, where he's an icon.

I understand the arguments against hiring a college coach. I agree with some of them. On the other hand, our two young superstars are turnover machines, and that isn't likely to be fixed under Brown. Also, with Brown, we can expect another year of JJ, TJ and Boby. I don't even think that Brown would insist on another year of Amir, but who knows!

So, I think if we win today - even if we play competitively and lose - Brown will be offered an extension. And that's probably the way it should be. He surely has upped his game during the playoffs (that's encouraging), and he's outcoached Nick Nurse in my opinion (we all seem to agree).

But we also now find ourselves in a position - based in part on the report by the Celtics fan who sat behind our bench - of depending on Jimmy to keep it all together. That may or may not be good.

Clearly Butler has hitched his wagon to Embiid (which is probably good) and less so to Simmons (the jury's out).

So let's hope we win. Let's hope the Stein leak is a motivator and not a distraction. And please don't interpret a dislike for Brown's coaching, his not developing a bench, etc., etc., as rooting against the Sixers.

Lue doesn’t want to coach Kyrie again, plus and who can blame him, he didn’t want J Kidd as his lead assistant.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#98 » by Sixerscan » Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

AirP. wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:

Here's the problem, although Brown has made some good adjustments in the playoffs, these are adjustments I was hearing NBA reporters/podcasters talk about Philly needing to do before they were even implemented, basically are these adjustments just no brainer adjustments that he's made?

I watched Philly add Jimmy Butler earlier in the season and saw him marginalized in the offense for 3 quarters, a guy who along with Towns and some defense had Minnesota the 3rd seed in the West before Butler was hurt last year, with Philly he basically just stayed out of the way playing Covington's old job. I get it's hard to change an offense midseason but it was something Brown needed to do with upgraded personnel(especially so early in the season). Now that it's gotten out that his job is on the line(who knows if he knew) we're seeing Butler really being utilized as he could have been utilized this last season, probably winning more games and having possibly home court advantage in the 2nd round(which might end up being the difference in making it to the conference finals).

So the question for ownership is this, is B.Brown just making adjustments MOST NBA coaches would have made and if so outside those adjustments has he done what ownership expected from a coach who has Embiid, Simmons, Butler, Harris and Redick as 5 of their rotational players?

Butler was consistently used as a pick and roll ball handler more and more throughout the year. Butler going in and out had as much to do with him pacing himself as any coaching decisions. Many of Brown's decisions during the year were about collecting data on a new team, for whatever reason people don't get that and want him to coach every random regular season game like it's game 7.

Either way, acting like coaching decisions would have made up the 7 game difference (plus tiebreaker) in the 2nd seed and 3rd seed is the sort of needlessly dramatic BS that I would hope a competent ownership group could avoid. But maybe they don't get it and we can just get Thibs who will coach every game like it's the last one and we can brag about how we were the 3 seed with 2 months to go in the regular season.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#99 » by gdog2004 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

If they would have gotten blown out in game 6 this story may have some legs, but not now.
Another story from another "reporter" that is just speculative garbage. None of these guys know ANYTHING.
It is all make believe click bait.
Processing76
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#100 » by Processing76 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:32 pm

The biggest thing for me is that he never got a full season with our "death" lineup. I think he deserves at least one more season. As everyone is saying, if he had gotten blown out game 6, different story.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers