2019 NBA Draft winners - New Orleans, Memphis, Lakers & Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: 2019 NBA Draft winners - New Orleans, Memphis, Lakers & Sixers 

Post#21 » by BullyKing » Thu May 16, 2019 8:04 pm

phillynative wrote:We need to hit on that 24th pick. A player that's going to be able to contribute off the bench.. if we can move up with those two early 2nd round picks that would be a huge plus

Unless someone unexpectedly falls a long way, I'm not really interested in moving up. Picking at these points in the draft, its better to have multiple shots at hitting on a player.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#22 » by phillynative » Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 pm

BullyKing wrote:
phillynative wrote:We need to hit on that 24th pick. A player that's going to be able to contribute off the bench.. if we can move up with those two early 2nd round picks that would be a huge plus

Unless someone unexpectedly falls a long way, I'm not really interested in moving up. Picking at these points in the draft, its better to have multiple shots at hitting on a player.

I previously thought about that but are the sixers going to go into the season with 3 rookies plus zhaire who's basically rookie also?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#23 » by BullyKing » Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 pm

phillynative wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I previously thought about that but are the sixers going to go into the season with 3 rookies plus zhaire who's basically rookie also?

In most years I'd said no but they're going to have a ton of rosters spots i think. But I think the more likely option is one of those three is a stash.

1. Korkmaz
2. Jonathan Simmons
3. Monroe
4. Amir
5. TJ
6. Boban (maybe)

If everyone else comes back, you figure Shake takes one and the MLE takes another. But that still leaves room for two picks, a stash and two ring chasers.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#24 » by hookshot199 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 pm

BullyKing wrote:
phillynative wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

In most years I'd said no but they're going to have a ton of rosters spots i think. But I think the more likely option is one of those three is a stash.

1. Korkmaz
2. Jonathan Simmons
3. Monroe
4. Amir
5. TJ
6. Boban (maybe)

If everyone else comes back, you figure Shake takes one and the MLE takes another. But that still leaves room for two picks, a stash and two ring chasers.

If you conclude that there's one second rounder per draft that hits, then it makes sense to cash in 33 and 34
this year so you get three swings at the fence - 24, 33 and 34. Then stash or trade (future top 40 protected)
44 and 54.

I'd say that it's a 50:50 chance our 2020 OKC top-20 protected pick will convey next June, but our second-
round-picks in 2020 and 2021 will probably be in the 40-50 range - they're coming from the Brooklyn or the
Knicks, Dallas, Denver and the Knicks again. So it's best to cash in this year and hope there's a sleeper in the
second round.

What about Lessort? And Pasecniks? And do we give Justin Patton a tryout?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/mathias-lessort-1.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/andzejs-pasecniks-1.html
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#25 » by Foshan » Fri May 17, 2019 12:41 am

I thought Pasecniks was supposed to be a 3 point shooter... but looks like he isn’t... doesn’t shoot FTs great either? Maybe I’m missing something. What a crappy pick. I wouldn’t mind no bding Lessort over for camp if we could. Athletic rim runner... but he can’t shoot either? Least he rebounds better than the other guy. I’d probably still be more inclined to take a raw big at 24 than bank on these guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#26 » by 76ciology » Fri May 17, 2019 2:31 am

Foshan wrote:I thought Pasecniks was supposed to be a 3 point shooter... but looks like he isn’t... doesn’t shoot FTs great either? Maybe I’m missing something. What a crappy pick. I wouldn’t mind no bding Lessort over for camp if we could. Athletic rim runner... but he can’t shoot either? Least he rebounds better than the other guy. I’d probably still be more inclined to take a raw big at 24 than bank on these guys.

Pasecniks is a poor man’s alex len right now. He was promising 2 years ago but never developed and had a string of injuries.

I feel lessort is just more athletic against most of his competition that he wouldnt look that good in the NBA.

Nevertheless, i want both of them in SL
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#27 » by SixthStreet » Fri May 17, 2019 2:53 am

I'm less fearful of the KD/Kyrie Knicks than this Raptors team we lost to AND this year's Celtics. Overall, the conference gets weaker at the top if Kawhi goes west and the Knicks get those two. The Celtics and Raptors would no longer be contenders and the Knicks would have to build a roster around those 2 and they will assuredly be garbage defensively.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#28 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 17, 2019 3:17 am

Foshan wrote:I thought Pasecniks was supposed to be a 3 point shooter... but looks like he isn’t... doesn’t shoot FTs great either? Maybe I’m missing something. What a crappy pick. I wouldn’t mind no bding Lessort over for camp if we could. Athletic rim runner... but he can’t shoot either? Least he rebounds better than the other guy. I’d probably still be more inclined to take a raw big at 24 than bank on these guys.

Passyunk is so useless it's funny.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#29 » by ankle420breaker » Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 am

Sixerscan wrote:

Passyunk is so useless it's funny.
And Bryan pursued him with such confidence.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
shi-woo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,212

Post#30 » by shi-woo » Fri May 17, 2019 4:45 am

As a Celtic fan, I find it weird that you say it would have been devastating if we got a top 5 pick, but then go on to talk about how the #4 pick might be useless in a 2-3 player draft.

And it's not the pick that matters, but who is drafted with the pick, and what it's value is.

If Celtics make a trade for AD involving Tatum and #14, it will go down in history, and be on every top 10 worst trades of all te list you see now till the end of time.

If Celtics draft a solid player at 14, it's still the worst trade since Billy King....

Sent from my D6708 using RealGM mobile app
76ciology
RealGM

Post#31 » by 76ciology » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 am

shi-woo wrote:
If Celtics make a trade for AD involving Tatum and #14, it will go down in history, and be on every top 10 worst trades of all te list you see now till the end of time.

True. Because Tatum and #14 in this draft for a top 10 player in AD is one of the worst deal of all time that favors the celtics. Specially given that it’s likely there are several teams that can give a better offer to the Pels for two likely role players from the Celtics.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#32 » by hookshot199 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

shi-woo wrote:As a Celtic fan, I find it weird that you say it would have been devastating if we got a top 5 pick, but then go on to talk about how the #4 pick might be useless in a 2-3 player draft.

And it's not the pick that matters, but who is drafted with the pick, and what it's value is.

If Celtics draft a solid player at 14, it's still the worst trade since Billy King....

Fair point.

First, it will only go down as one of the worst 10 trades of all time if Tatum becomes the next Paul Pierce.
I realize that Pierce talks him up all the time, but Pierce was a top-5/top-10 player in an era of Kobe, Wade,
Iverson, Dirk and Shaq. He could create his own shot. I haven't seen that yet from Tatum. Granted, he's only
21. But I don't think he's quick enough to play 3 and big or physical enough to be an elite 4.

And there will be doubt about him - as there is with other Celtics players - if they're specially suited for Brad
Stevens' system. As much as I like his game, would his 3-point shooting drop to the low .300 level, much like
Tobias Harris's did playing for Brett Brown

So, FYI: The worst trades of all time involve trading players like Wilt Chamberlain for Jerry Chambers, Archie
Clark and Darrall Imhoff, Barkley for Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lange, Jabaar (then Lew Alcindor)
for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman. It is unlikely Tatum will ever be in that
class.

A second issue is: Will Anthony Davis want to stay in Boston? Without Kyrie, I doubt it. With Kyrie and a gutted
roster, I doubt it. It's risky. We shall see whether it pays off for Toronto. It did for OKC, going after Paul George
with no guarantees.

As for the 3 pick or 4 pick, you are right that it may not materialize into a good player. It happens often.
Nevertheless, there is still a higher probability that even in a weak draft a four pick is likely to bring the owner
of the pick a better prospect than a 14 pick.

I don't think the 14 pick has produced a true star for 30 years.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-by-pick/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-14/

Obviously, there have been a lot of misses - players picked 15-30 or 30-45 becoming stars. But the history of the
draft gives you a better chance picking 4 than picking 14.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-by-pick/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-4/

So the Celtics, IMO, have no pick to offer. The 4 pick, even if it doesn't materialize into a good player would have
helped you put together a package to compete for Davis.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#33 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 pm

76ciology wrote:
shi-woo wrote:

True. Because Tatum and #14 in this draft for a top 10 player in AD is one of the worst deal of all time that favors the celtics. Specially given that it’s likely there are several teams that can give a better offer to the Pels for two likely role players from the Celtics.

If the Sixers trade James Ennis for Steph Curry, the Rockets trade of James Ennis for nothing will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. Am I doing it right?
NYSixersFan wrote:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#34 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 17, 2019 2:04 pm

shi-woo wrote:As a Celtic fan, I find it weird that you say it would have been devastating if we got a top 5 pick, but then go on to talk about how the #4 pick might be useless in a 2-3 player draft.

And yet, despite making two of the greatest trades of recent memory (Three if you count the Irving trade), if they don't trade for AD and Kyrie leaves there's also a scenario where the Celtics are the worst team in the division.

It's almost like people freak out way too much about individual trades on here.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#35 » by 76ciology » Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 pm

BullyKing wrote:
76ciology wrote:
shi-woo wrote:

If the Sixers trade James Ennis for Steph Curry, the Rockets trade of James Ennis for nothing will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. Am I doing it right?

I dont know if it is one of the worst trades of all time when we traded a guy who can’t play for two likely role players (tatum and 14th pick). I maybe old so ive seen a lot worse trades than that.

I mean.. does giving up a lottery pick for a guy who’s likely to walk (sexton for kyrie) be categorized as a worse deal?
shi-woo
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by shi-woo » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Sixerscan wrote:

And yet, despite making two of the greatest trades of recent memory (Three if you count the Irving trade), if they don't trade for AD and Kyrie leaves there's also a scenario where the Celtics are the worst team in the division.

It's almost like people freak out way too much about individual trades on here.
Exactly, which is why I was shocked to see so many people talking about the trade still on here (was really just hoping to see what you guys thought about Butler and Tobias staying). Ainge has played it right, and it could blow up in his face. Philly made some mistakes but none if it will matter if Embiib and Simmons grow into what we think they will. And at the end of the day Giannis could turn into the next LeBron and both are teams are just stepping stones

shi-woo
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by shi-woo » Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 pm

76ciology wrote:
shi-woo wrote:

Obviously the trade would be more than that. Most of us on the Celtic board think it would be Tatum, Brown, Smart, Yabu, #14 and MAYBE the Memphis pick. Which would Trump most offers out their unless a team wants to go full Billy King.

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#38 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 2:26 pm

76ciology wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I dont know if it is the worst trades of all time when we traded a guy who can’t play for two likely role players (tatum and 14th pick). I maybe old so ive seen a lot worse trades than that.

It's just revisionist history. Ainge was ending up with Tatum. If he couldn't find a trade that would allow him to move back and still get Tatum, he would just have stayed at 1 and took him. So basically, we threw away the 14th pick. Not great but we, and many other teams, have done far worse.
NYSixersFan wrote:
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#39 » by hookshot199 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:29 pm

BullyKing wrote:
76ciology wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I dont know if it is the worst trades of all time when we traded a guy who can’t play for two likely role players (tatum and 14th pick). I maybe old so ive seen a lot worse trades than that.

It's just revisionist history. Ainge was ending up with Tatum. If he couldn't find a trade that would allow him to move back and still get Tatum, he would just have stayed at 1 and took him. So basically, we threw away the 14th pick. Not great but we, and many other teams, have done far worse.

That's right. But until Tuesday night, we didn't know if the pick would be 2, 3 or 4 or, where ended, 14.
In one of the great "what-if" ironies, had we not made the Sac trade - for the 2017 pick swap and 2019
unprotected first, one of Hinkie's greatest moves, we would have been drafting 5, not 3, which would
have made it riskier for Ainge to let Tatum stay on the board because Sacramento and Phoenix would
draft ahead of the Sixers.

In the end, I have no idea what Colangelo would have done with Fultz likely to be off the board. He
probably would have tried to trade 5 and the LA 2018 pick to Sacramento. What Vlade would have
done because he likes Euro ball. He lucked out with Fox.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#40 » by Darth Celtic » Fri May 17, 2019 4:19 pm

FYI. The Celtics fans, front office, and basically anyone who has a clue was cheering for the Griz pick to not convey this year. This draft is very bland from 3/4-30. A 14 pick and a 8 pick are about the same talent level.

Getting the 9th pick in this draft is way, way worse than 10th pick next year or so on along with a chance that it ends up top 5 unprotected in 2021. The Grizz REALLY wanted it to convey this year. Moving to 2 helps though. Right now I would bet the griz are happy they moved up to 2 over giving us 9, but it's not a slam dunk.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets

Return to Philadelphia 76ers