ImageImageImage

DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Re: DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do 

Post#21 » by 76ciology » Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 pm

BullyKing wrote:I also think this might be a situation that requires to consider trading Ben and rebuilding entirely around players that fit with Joel - although hopefully the long-term prognosis on his health factors in there.

Yes. Fit can compensate for talent. Look at the Raps or Bucks. They’re not more talented than us, but their parts are great fit for one another.

Ben and Jojo aren’t good fit. That’s why we need multiple star caliber players to make it work.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#22 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 17, 2019 12:15 pm

The scenario presented would force the front office to focus on signing Kemba Walker.

I wouldn't even consider that a loss. I think Kemba is the perfect #2 behind Embiid. A preferable fit to any of the guys we currently have, in my opinion.

And then you continue to shop Ben Simmons.

If we come away from the summer with a new trio of Embiid/Walker/Beal, I think we're in even better position to battle for the Eastern crown next year than had we just retained our current roster and "ran it back."
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#23 » by Foshan » Fri May 17, 2019 12:17 pm

So, I’m still stewing this over. I like the idea of throwing a max at Middleton or Kemba, I think they could work.

I like the idea of signing one year fits... kinda like LAC did with signing all 3&D guys. Just not sure who would be worth going after. Or even just other one year pieces...
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#24 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The scenario presented would force the front office to focus on signing Kemba Walker.

I wouldn't even consider that a loss. I think Kemba is the perfect #2 behind Embiid. A preferable fit to any of the guys we currently have, in my opinion.

And then you continue to shop Ben Simmons.

If we come away from the summer with a new trio of Embiid/Walker/Beal, I think we're in even better position to battle for the Eastern crown next year than had we just retained our current roster and "ran it back."

My issue with this plan is we wouldn't really have a lot of else. If you renounce everyone and sign Kemba and then trade the two Simmonses for Beal, we'd have a roster of Embiid, Kemba, Beal, Zhaire, Bolden and our 1st with only about 8 million and the room exception left to fill out the roster.

By the way, I love the shamsports capulator because it really allows you play out different scenarios. So glad someone took the time to make it.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#25 » by youngcrev » Fri May 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Yeah, I'd say Kemba is the obvious next target. If you can get him, you use the rest of your cap to fill out your rotation with 3 and role players.

If not... I'd consider taking on some salary from elsewhere, handing out 1 year deals, and punting. I think that's a better option than throwing bad contracts at Brogdon types. It might be impossible to sell that though, and would almost certainly cost EB his job
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#26 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 12:36 pm

youngcrev wrote:Yeah, I'd say Kemba is the obvious next target. If you can get him, you use the rest of your cap to fill out your rotation with 3 and role players.

If not... I'd consider taking on some salary from elsewhere, handing out 1 year deals, and punting. I think that's a better option than throwing bad contracts at Brogdon types.

The problem with punting is that it almost forces you to trade Simmons. If you punt with just one year contracts and then max Simmons, you're costing yourself about $21 million in space and find yourself in the same position next year albeit with only about $34 million to spend instead of $56 million.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#27 » by hookshot199 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 pm

BullyKing wrote:Tough scenario but really interesting topic for discussion.

I guess I'd start by targeting Brogdon and Middleton, which has the side benefit of weakening your biggest competition going forward.

Mirotic and Brogdon are both unsigned. Mirotic has played well in the playoffs and better
defense than I expected. Middleton is a player option. I'm sure the Bucks would want to re-sign
him, but can they? I like Kemba Walker. He's a poor man's Kyrie Irving without the bullsh*t.

I am not in favor of giving Jimmy five. It's not to do with his leadership and commitment to
winning. It's strictly age. He turns 30 in September. If we can build an injury clause into the
contract (much like we did with Embiid), then I say go for it.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#28 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 pm

Foshan wrote:So, I’m still stewing this over. I like the idea of throwing a max at Middleton or Kemba, I think they could work.

I like the idea of signing one year fits... kinda like LAC did with signing all 3&D guys. Just not sure who would be worth going after. Or even just other one year pieces...

Even after landing a Middleton or Walker, I still think we need more scorers after that.

Conventional wisdom suggests we should target DeMarre Carroll, Danny Green, Reggie Bullock, Trevor Ariza, Patrick Beverley on one year deals. And that's not the worst route to take, but I'm not sure we'd have enough firepower to win the East with just Kemba as our lone multilevel scorer.

I'd be more interested in guys that can go and get buckets instead of just converting assists. Like Jeremy Lamb, Rodney Hood, Alec Burks types.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#29 » by Mik317 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Step 1: Cry

Step 2: Cry a lot

Step 3. After another crying session; you move on to using that money to find young comparable versions of those guys while also looking to become stupid deep. If we can't beat people with pure talent, then beat them by simply having a lot of dudes and bank on Simmons and Embiid's progression to make up for the rest. So that means your roster should look like:
PG:Ben/ Backup Type that can shoot and not die on defense/TJ
SG:JJ/ Zhaire/ Shake
SF:Shot Creator type/ Versitile Defender Man
PF:Stretch Big/ Another Stretch Big but taller/Mike Scott/Bolden
C:Embiid/ RIm Protector that in a pinch can play the 4/Some Old dude to satisfy Brett

Step 4 : Find a way to give Embiid adamantium bones

Step 5: Cry for old times sake
#NeverGonnaBeGood
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#30 » by youngcrev » Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm

BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Yeah, I'd say Kemba is the obvious next target. If you can get him, you use the rest of your cap to fill out your rotation with 3 and role players.

If not... I'd consider taking on some salary from elsewhere, handing out 1 year deals, and punting. I think that's a better option than throwing bad contracts at Brogdon types.

The problem with punting is that it almost forces you to trade Simmons. If you punt with just one year contracts and then max Simmons, you're costing yourself about $21 million in space and find yourself in the same position next year albeit with only about $34 million to spend instead of $56 million.

I disagree that it forces you to trade Simmons. In fact, quite the opposite. I think it forces you into a slower, more gradual build.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#31 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 12:58 pm

youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I disagree that it forces you to trade Simmons. In fact, quite the opposite. I think it forces you into a slower, more gradual build.

I'm not talking about the psychology, I'm talking about the reality of what Ben's upcoming contract means. What is the plan for building out a team that has Joel, Simmons, Zhaire, Bolden and our 2019 1st with only $34 million to play with?
NYSixersFan wrote:
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#32 » by youngcrev » Fri May 17, 2019 1:03 pm

BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I'm not talking about the psychology, I'm talking about the reality of what Ben's upcoming contract means. What is the plan for building out a team that has Joel, Simmons, Zhaire, Bolden and our 2019 1st with only $34 million to play with?

You wouldn't be saying only 34M if we didn't currently have so much more. Embiid, Simmons and room for a max(ish?) player is still a high quality to core to build a team. The fact that (in this scenario) you've squandered your chance to add pieces before your young stars got paid isn't a good reason to give away one of those stars.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#33 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm

youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

You wouldn't be saying only 34M if we didn't currently have so much more. Embiid, Simmons and room for a max(ish?) player is still a high quality to core to build a team. The fact that (in this scenario) you've squandered your chance to add pieces before your young stars got paid isn't a good reason to give away one of those stars.

Yes, its a high quality team to build a core around - the issue is that we are very low on avenues to actually build with at that point. And I only mentioned looking into trading Simmons, I never said to give him away. If the only offers for him are terrible then, yes, you keep him and do the best you can.
NYSixersFan wrote:
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#34 » by youngcrev » Fri May 17, 2019 1:16 pm

BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Yes, its a high quality team to build a core around - the issue is that we are very low on avenues to actually build with at that point. And I only mentioned looking into trading Simmons, I never said to give him away. If the only offers for him are terrible then, yes, you keep him and do the best you can.

Sure, but look at where trading him leaves you.

If it's for an established player, said player likely is eating up even more of that cap.

If it's for a draft pick/player with a more years on his rookie deal, you're left with a big question mark from a talent perspective while betting big on free agency once again (something that you've continually failed with up until this point). Plus... Good luck selling that to Embiid.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#35 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Simmons trade value is probably poor because he's not going to sign a rookie extension. The Klutch dudes are creating a new movement where they dictate their own destinations.

So if we wanted to move Simmons, it would probably be down to Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Nets, Knicks. Mayyybe a Texas team.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#36 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 pm

youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Sure, but look at where trading him leaves you.

If it's for an established player, said player likely is eating up even more of that cap.

If it's for a draft pick/player with a more years on his rookie deal, you're left with a big question mark from a talent perspective while betting big on free agency once again (something that you've continually failed with up until this point). Plus... Good luck selling that to Embiid.

Don't really disagree with any of that. But it's the disaster scenario thread - every path is going to have some problems and risk.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#37 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

youngcrev wrote:If it's for a draft pick/player with a more years on his rookie deal, you're left with a big question mark from a talent perspective

Are you really, though?

I don't think it's unfair to classify Simmons as a mere ultra-accomplished glue guy. So I don't think it makes sense to look at him as a guy on a clear path to stardom and worry about having egg on our faces if we move him.

If Cleveland would do Collin Sexton and #5, I think it's a no-brainer.
MR28
Starter
And1: 1,553

Post#38 » by MR28 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:29 pm

That’s the exact opposite of a no brainer; It’s closer to a no brainer in the other direction.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#39 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 17, 2019 1:34 pm

MR28 wrote:That’s the exact opposite of a no brainer; It’s closer to a no brainer in the other direction.

I don't see how.

Strip away all the baggage and just look at the skillsets and ask yourself what player makes sense on a max contract and what player would you rather have in the playoffs. I think the answer to both of those questions is the aggressive, multi-level scorer that can play on and off the ball and space the floor.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,838

Post#40 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 17, 2019 1:45 pm

If I'm Brand, I'm showing up to Kemba Walker's house begging him to sign the max. If you whiff on the two biggest trades you made, then you have zero margin for error this offseason.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers