ImageImageImage

Who Will Represent the Western Conference in the 2020 NBA Finals?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Who Will Represent the Western Conference in the 2020 NBA Finals? 

Post#1 » by smittybanton » Sun Jun 2, 2019 12:04 am

We know who is coming out of the East next year. So I'm interested in who in the West people think will have the best offseason (draft, trade, free agency) and sacrifice themselves before the Sixers? My guess is the Clippers.

The Sixers Opponent in the 2020 NBA Finals: The Los Angeles Clippers

1. Trade every player on the books for Anthony Davis. Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Landry Shamet, Danilo Gallinary and Montrez Harrell, plus multiple draft picks including (MIA21 unprotected). Whatever draft pick the Clippers get for Louis Williams also goes over to the Pelicans. New Orleans can't get a better deal. They are not a free agent destination, and those players fit pretty well around Jrue Holiday and Zion Williamson.

2. Having cleared the books of everything but Davis' $27m and cap holds, the Clippers sigh Kawhi Leonard and Kevin Durant. I don't want to hear nothing about the New York Knicks. There's absolutely no reason on earth for top 5 talents to trust their careers to James Dolan and the MSG front office after one of the top talents in the league, Kristaps Porzingis, just demanded a trade to get away from their dysfunction. Moreover, a package of Kevin Knox, RJ Barrett and Mitchell Robinson for Anthony Davis is simply not that attractive. Not only do the Clippers have the weather, the lifestyle, the capspace and the trade assets, they have Jerry West in the front office and a trillionaire owner in Steve Ballmer who attends every game and will assuredly spend what it takes to win a championship. The Knicks??? Pfft.

3. Use whatever remaining space, the MLE and the BAE on Patrick Beverley and Seth Curry.

4. With a solid starting five, the Clippers will be very attractive to ring chasers willing to take the veteran's minimum to play for a championship in LA: Oldheads like Vince Carter, DeAndre Jordan, Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, Iman Shumpert, etc. Austin Rivers, Gerald Green, Jerryd Bayless. Noah Vonleh, Ed Davis. The Clips could resign a couple of their own guys like Wilson Chandler, Garrett Temple, Jamychal Green. There are even a few young players with some potential left who might be looking for an opportunity, like Stanley Johnson or Mario Hezonja.

5. Yeah, the team we're going to have to face for the CHIP will be the LA Clippers.

Patrick Beverley, Seth Curry, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis
Rajon Rondo, Iman Shumpert, Vince Carter, Wilson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan
Isaiah Thomas, Jerryd Bayless, Stanley Johnson, Mario Hezonja, Pau Gasol

What say you all?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Re: Who Will Represent the Western Conference in the 2020 NBA Finals? 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Sun Jun 2, 2019 11:25 am

What are you smoking?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#3 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jun 2, 2019 3:33 pm

I love NBA 2K but I just never have time for it any more. Adulting sucks.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#4 » by the_process » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:49 am

Kawhi isn’t leaving the Arctic Circle now. I do still think Durant is leaving GS, though. So my best guess as of right now as to who wins the West next season would be HOU.

EDIT: Right now has changed. Clippers are the clear favorites in the West at the moment.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#5 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:21 am

I do think you're right that the Clippers are an attractive FA destination. I expect the Clippers and Nets to have better offseasons than the Knicks or the Lakers, despite the fact that the media just talks about the Knicks and Lakers all the time.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#6 » by mjkvol » Sun Jun 9, 2019 1:34 pm

It is entirely possible that this free agency period fizzles, with Irving and Davis being the only big stories. I'm hoping Leonard goes to the Clippers, but I can see him staying in Toronto, and you can bet that Durant will be offered the max in GS the first minute FA opens. I can see a lot of players taking the money and just staying put.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by smittybanton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:09 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:I do think you're right that the Clippers are an attractive FA destination. I expect the Clippers and Nets to have better offseasons than the Knicks or the Lakers, despite the fact that the media just talks about the Knicks and Lakers all the time.

my thoughts exactly. woj has already put the lakers at the back of the pack.
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by smittybanton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 pm

As Buha explains, the Clippers are unlikely to pursue top point guards like Kyrie Irving or Kemba Walker due to their “steadfast belief” in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who has been considered untouchable in trade talks.

Additionally, the Clippers likely won’t attempt to sign a second- or third-tier free agent like Khris Middleton or Tobias Harris unless it’s on a short-term deal, according to Buha, who points out that the team traded away Harris because it didn’t want to cap the roster’s ceiling at “good” instead of “great.”

Instead, the Clippers will focus on the top two free agents in this year’s free agent class – Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard – as well as top trade candidate Anthony Davis.

Not including SGA lessens their chances at Davis, obviously. I still think Jrue Holiday, Landry Shamet, Zion Williamson, Danilo Gallinari and Montrez Harrell would be an exciting lineup. The Clippers also have MIA21 and PHI20, plus their own picks. I think the Clippers can still can beat Lonzo Ball, Jrue Holiday, Brandon Ingram, RJ Barrett/Jarrett Culver, Zion Williamson. Just doesn't fit the same.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#9 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:31 am

I have a feeling that if Kd walks, there’s a big FA that would sign for the Warriors for less like how DMC did it last summer.

Either that or they’d end up with multiple good role players like Dedmon, Morris and Lamb. And still be a very good team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#10 » by Simmons25 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 am

76ciology wrote:I have a feeling that if Kd walks, there’s a big FA that would sign for the Warriors for less like how DMC did it last summer.

Either that or they’d end up with multiple good role players like Dedmon, Morris and Lamb. And still be a very good team.

Maybe before Klay tore up his ACL and will be missing most of next year. With no KD and no Klay I am not sure Steph and Donkey are enough to attract free agents.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#11 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Clippers definitely had some good Mojo working by the end of the season. if they get any one of the top free agents this summer, they got to be a favorite next year.
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by smittybanton » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:39 pm

and here we go! I'm glad they did not get anthony davis. the raptors used gasol and ibaka and siakam to take advantage of the warriors lack of size-rim protection and rebounding. we will do the same with embiid, horford and koq. beast the league!
D_Dawkins53
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#13 » by D_Dawkins53 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:44 pm

I don't know but right now we are the team to beat!
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by smittybanton » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:46 pm

D_Dawkins53 wrote:I don't know but right now we are the team to beat!

awesome username you have
D_Dawkins53
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#15 » by D_Dawkins53 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:30 pm

smittybanton wrote:
D_Dawkins53 wrote:I don't know but right now we are the team to beat!

awesome username you have

Thanks.

I'm not sure how many people here remember Darryl Dawkins?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#16 » by youngcrev » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:30 pm

Well, you got 2 players right.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,770

Post#17 » by Skates » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:43 am

So early Western Conference playoff seedings:

1. Clips
2. Nuggets
3. Lakers
4. Rockets
5. Blazers
6. Jazz
—————
7-8. GSW, Spurs, Thunder, Pelicans, Kings?

Top 6 look solid. Who knows what will happen in OKC and possibly Houston before or during the season, assuming Rox run it back for now. Spurs get Murray back, signed some solid vets and have some promising youngsters, while the Pellies have a lot of talent. Phoenix and Memphis will bottom dwell, Mavs I’m not sure about, but could jump up if OKC falls. Golden State feels like they are one injury or Draymond-Russell blowup from falling apart or could be top 4-5 if all goes well and healthy. The T’Wolves are meh to me, expect KAT to make noise about wanting to get out, possibly see them (or Phoenix) making a move for Westbrook, though NYK are the leaders there.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#18 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:50 am

Russell should be traded ASAP for defense. Covington+ or otherwise. If they do that and Klay comes back do not count them out.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#19 » by youngcrev » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:31 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Russell should be traded ASAP for defense. Covington+ or otherwise. If they do that and Klay comes back do not count them out.

Yeah. They're not fooling me with their public talks of plans to keep him. I think they'll need his offense early to keep them afloat with Klay out, but Russ/Steph is just not workable on the defensive end.

Assuming Cov comes back healthy, him+Teague+pick/young player puts the Warriors in a solid position to compete if Klay comes back 100%. I like the WCS pickup for them, I think he'll be far better for them than Cousins was.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#20 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:18 am

FlyingArrow wrote:I do think you're right that the Clippers are an attractive FA destination. I expect the Clippers and Nets to have better offseasons than the Knicks or the Lakers, despite the fact that the media just talks about the Knicks and Lakers all the time.

Do I get points for posting this on June 8?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers