ImageImageImage

2019 NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, BullyKing, Sixerscan, CoreyGallagher, Foshan

Aussiepiston1
Rookie
Posts: 1,084
And1: 204
Joined: Mar 12, 2009
   

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#21 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:37 pm

I think most people agree we need a back up PG, back up SF and back C so a combination between Carsen Edwards,ty Jerome, Mattise thybulle, Cameron Johnson, mfiondu kabengele and Bruno Fernando with our 24,33 and 34 picks would be the ultimate win and Chuma okeke or Luis king with our 42nd would be a steal
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,435
And1: 2,319
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#22 » by Black Mage » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:38 pm

There is one wild card in all this. If Sixers are confident in their new shooting coach being able to work "Spurs" magic on guys then Mann jumps into consideration in the 40's. He has everything you'd want and just needs an outside jumper. I wouldn't mind him being a Jerami Grant project, just hope for better results while here.
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,435
And1: 2,319
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#23 » by Black Mage » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Aussiepiston1 wrote:I think most people agree we need a back up PG, back up SF and back C so a combination between Carsen Edwards,ty Jerome, Mattise thybulle, Cameron Johnson, mfiondu kabengele and Bruno Fernando with our 24,33 and 34 picks would be the ultimate win and Chuma okeke or Luis king with our 42nd would be a steal


Okeke won't be there at 42. When Brand mentioned wanting a second 1st round pick I wondered if he was leaning on grabbing Okeke at 24. There are a lot of teams with excess picks who are still stockpiling talent that draft before our 33rd pick. Any one of those teams have the luxury of drafting and stashing Okeke for a year.

Hard pass on Jerome and Fernando. Jerome is just way too slow and is essentially a slightly better version of TJ. Outside of Kabengele there wasn't a single big man (maybe Semanic in the second) who is going to be ready to play for the Sixers the way Brown disfavors rookie bigs. We'd waste a pick on any other big and vet bigs are the cheapest and easiest to find. We forget that originally the Sixers intended B-Jelly to be our switchable big and our backup would have been fine if he hadn't backstabbed us.
Aussiepiston1
Rookie
Posts: 1,084
And1: 204
Joined: Mar 12, 2009
   

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#24 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 pm

Black Mage wrote:
Aussiepiston1 wrote:I think most people agree we need a back up PG, back up SF and back C so a combination between Carsen Edwards,ty Jerome, Mattise thybulle, Cameron Johnson, mfiondu kabengele and Bruno Fernando with our 24,33 and 34 picks would be the ultimate win and Chuma okeke or Luis king with our 42nd would be a steal


Okeke won't be there at 42. When Brand mentioned wanting a second 1st round pick I wondered if he was leaning on grabbing Okeke at 24. There are a lot of teams with excess picks who are still stockpiling talent that draft before our 33rd pick. Any one of those teams have the luxury of drafting and stashing Okeke for a year.

Hard pass on Jerome and Fernando. Jerome is just way too slow and is essentially a slightly better version of TJ. Outside of Kabengele there wasn't a single big man (maybe Semanic in the second) who is going to be ready to play for the Sixers the way Brown disfavors rookie bigs. We'd waste a pick on any other big and vet bigs are the cheapest and easiest to find. We forget that originally the Sixers intended B-Jelly to be our switchable big and our backup would have been fine if he hadn't backstabbed us.

Yeah I hear ya maybe we can trade up to Brooklyn’s 27 and grab him or use okc pick to trade back in like we did a couple of years ago
Who’s b jelly? Lol
There’s a lot of good free agents this year but I still think we need to groom players with upside
Black Mage
Starter
Posts: 2,435
And1: 2,319
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#25 » by Black Mage » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
Aussiepiston1 wrote:I think most people agree we need a back up PG, back up SF and back C so a combination between Carsen Edwards,ty Jerome, Mattise thybulle, Cameron Johnson, mfiondu kabengele and Bruno Fernando with our 24,33 and 34 picks would be the ultimate win and Chuma okeke or Luis king with our 42nd would be a steal


Okeke won't be there at 42. When Brand mentioned wanting a second 1st round pick I wondered if he was leaning on grabbing Okeke at 24. There are a lot of teams with excess picks who are still stockpiling talent that draft before our 33rd pick. Any one of those teams have the luxury of drafting and stashing Okeke for a year.

Hard pass on Jerome and Fernando. Jerome is just way too slow and is essentially a slightly better version of TJ. Outside of Kabengele there wasn't a single big man (maybe Semanic in the second) who is going to be ready to play for the Sixers the way Brown disfavors rookie bigs. We'd waste a pick on any other big and vet bigs are the cheapest and easiest to find. We forget that originally the Sixers intended B-Jelly to be our switchable big and our backup would have been fine if he hadn't backstabbed us.

Yeah I hear ya maybe we can trade up to Brooklyn’s 27 and grab him or use okc pick to trade back in like we did a couple of years ago
Who’s b jelly? Lol
There’s a lot of good free agents this year but I still think we need to groom players with upside


Nemanja Bjelicia
PhillyFan11
Junior
Posts: 354
And1: 101
Joined: Jun 23, 2018

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#26 » by PhillyFan11 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:14 pm

I didn't post in the last draft thread so not sure how much he was/wasn't discussed...but what is the opinion on KZ Okpala here?

Not the exact same guy, but to me he seems like a pretty similar type of prospect as Zhaire\. If you can teach him how to shoot better and increase his feel for the game/IQ you just might have a future starter on your hands. Same thing with Thybulle. I'd be happy with either at 24.

For me an ideal mock draft would be:
24: Okpala/Thybulle
33: Windler/Cam Johnson/Edwards/Jerome
34: Claxton/Fernando/Gafford/J.Porter
42: Euro stash/traded for future 2nd(s)
Get an immediate wing role player with higher potential in the future, a good shooter, and a big man with potential. Getting a healthy Zhaire + adding 2 guys like Okpala and Windler on the wing would eliminate the need for Ennis and leave the MLE for a quality big man and possibly more.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,486
And1: 2,972
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#27 » by Fischella » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Schofield is terrible, he is 6-4 with no length, has no defensive game to play against bigger wings and his offense is terrible for his height, his creation isn't going to translate and is just an avg shooter

He is a guy to have a career overseas, but no NBA shot

Agreed with most on Coby, he is fine, but nothing really that special I don't get the hype
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,679
And1: 8,617
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#28 » by Stanford » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Last year I selected a kid called Zhaire Smith based on his age, dumb highlights and DBPM.

This year I'm selecting someone named Matisse Thybulle because he had a DBPM of t-t-t-t-t-ten. Not a huge fan of his age or highlights, but ten is a big number.

KZ Okpala looks like the worst player in the universe.
Dylan Windler has a lot of green in his tankathon profile page. I like that.
Cameron Johnson also has a lot of green in his profile, and his 3P% is pretty tasty. I really like that.

There's a ton of **** old people in this draft.

@24: Matisse Thybulle
@33: Dylan Windler
@34: Cameron Johnson

That's what I want.
Image
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,236
And1: 9,235
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#29 » by LloydFree » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Stanford wrote:Last year I selected a kid called Zhaire Smith based on his age, dumb highlights and DBPM.

This year I'm selecting someone named Matisse Thybulle because he had a DBPM of t-t-t-t-t-ten. Not a huge fan of his age or highlights, but ten is a big number.

KZ Okpala looks like the worst player in the universe.
Dylan Windler has a lot of green in his tankathon profile page. I like that.
Cameron Johnson also has a lot of green in his profile, and his 3P% is pretty tasty. I really like that.

There's a ton of **** old people in this draft.

@24: Matisse Thybulle
@33: Dylan Windler
@34: Cameron Johnson

That's what I want.


Thanks. You solved something for me. I knew there was a reason that hipsters from the East coast, who never watch Washington games, love Matisse Thybulle.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,679
And1: 8,617
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#30 » by Stanford » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:08 pm

There's no irony hidden behind any of my selections.

And, while it's true that I didnt watch any Washington games this year, the ultimate truth is that I didnt watch games involving any college basketball team. Because they stink.

Not sure you know what a hipster is, Lloyd.
Image
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,629
And1: 8,689
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#31 » by BullyKing » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Stanford wrote:There's no irony hidden behind any of my selections.

And, while it's true that I didnt watch any Washington games this year, the ultimate truth is that I didnt watch games involving any college basketball team. Because they stink.

Not sure you know what a hipster is, Lloyd.


Deny it all you want but we both know that all hippies love sitting around wearing skinny jeans, drinking small batch whole trade coffee while discussing DBPM of college basketball players.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,581
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#32 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:53 pm

I can see the allure of Thybulle....He is far from my favorite prospect, but his defensive resume is really impressive and are historically areas that translate to the NBA (steals + blocks)

Sure he is raw and limited offensively.....but this kids defensive numbers are crazy impressive. 3+ steals and 2+ blocks per game are insane for a wing. Highly doubt he's creating much in terms of scoring at the next level, but he can get buckets in transition, cutting/lobs and make the occasional spot up 3.

His FT% indicates that his shot is not broken, (85% on 67 attempts as a senior, 78% career over 4 years)
He has pretty much taken 100+ 3's every single year since his freshmen season, and shot 36, 40 and 36% until his senior year where he shot 30%....making this year possibly a fluke with increased attention from defenses (in the NBA he is going to be a 5th option, spot up guy)

If your looking for a impact defender who can possibly develop into a Bruce Bowen/Thabo Sefolosha type of wing....Thybulle certainly has the resume to validate that type of role. You bring him off the bench with Zhaire, a defensive 5 and 2 shooters and you've got the make up to have a pretty nasty defensive 2nd unit. If he can shoot 36% from 3 in the NBA, hes probably starting as a lockdown 3/D wing.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
User avatar
Mik317
RealGM
Posts: 27,075
And1: 8,542
Joined: May 31, 2005
Location: In your head....you have issues breh
       

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#33 » by Mik317 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 am

Thybulle's highlights kinda pop w/ all of the shot blocks on jumpers and Cov esque steals but then you realize that dude played zone, shot like ****, and while he may have a promise also has not gotten exposed by the draft process...kinda like another Huskie...

also I think Zhaire kinda checks all of the boxes but with some theoretical upside due to his age and athleticism.

I mean I wont be super mad if he is the pick just that its kinda boring and replicates what we have on the roster a bit.

however as of right now Grant Williams is the only probable pick I'd be a bit butt blasted over.....and even then as long as we take some type of wing prospect I can lie to myself about I'm good.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,236
And1: 9,235
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#34 » by LloydFree » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:48 am

Mik317 wrote:Thybulle's highlights kinda pop w/ all of the shot blocks on jumpers and Cov esque steals but then you realize that dude played zone, shot like ****, and while he may have a promise also has not gotten exposed by the draft process...kinda like another Huskie...

also I think Zhaire kinda checks all of the boxes but with some theoretical upside due to his age and athleticism.

I mean I wont be super mad if he is the pick just that its kinda boring and replicates what we have on the roster a bit.

however as of right now Grant Williams is the only probable pick I'd be a bit butt blasted over
.....and even then as long as we take some type of wing prospect I can lie to myself about I'm good.

This is where I am. At #24, of all the players I've seen mocked to the 76ers, only Grant Williams would make me angry. I think Cam Johnson would be a bit of a wasted opportunity to obtain better talent, but I'd understand the logic.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
nycphils
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 37
Joined: May 26, 2019
     

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#35 » by nycphils » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:32 am

To me, draft a bunch of shooters and maybe one potential backup center and hope that one or two of the shooters pans out as at least average defenders who don’t get played off the court...

Guys like Cam Johnson, Windler, Edwards, Fletcher Magee...and add Daniel Gafford maybe as the center prospect
mithrandir17
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,550
And1: 813
Joined: Jan 30, 2017
 

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#36 » by mithrandir17 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:45 am

Is Luka Samanic sure to be a draft and stash pick? Or does he have an opt out clause in his contract now and can play next season?
phillynative
Starter
Posts: 2,384
And1: 381
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#37 » by phillynative » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 am

Black Mage wrote:I think the Sixers need to have Admiral Schofield as a serious player in play for 33 or 34. Schofield already has experience playing with a non-shooting transition ball handling guard and low post force. He shot an extremely high volume of 3's over his career so we know his shooting numbers are legitimate. Which is impressive given he still has some form issues with squaring up to the basket.

If Okeke falls to 33 then he has to be one of the picks. You cant pass on lottery talent when you're team is about to be cap strapped and won't be picking in the lottery any time soon.

I still really like Aubrey Dawkins with their last pick. He'd be a great two-way contract player and if he pans out there he can join the team next year.

With their 40's pick I think Norvell will still be there. His agility combine scores were awful, worse than slow-mo Ty Jerome even. If Brand has a sense of Butler and Harris being willing to resign then this might be the pick I'd either trade for a future second or even sell depending on what cash considerations we're eligible for. If we can get the full amount and a team is willing I might consider that to give us more cap space to find a veteran.


I think Admiral Schofield would be a sneaky good pick for the Sixers. His combination of strength and shooting is intriguing. Not sure where we would pick him though.

Picks
24.Matisse Thybulle : Not a huge fan of Matisse here as he and Zhaire seem to overlap but his defense is most likely to translate. And you can never have too many defenders . He reminds me of Corey brewer/andre Roberson mix. He has a bit of a small frame but he seems to have high motor and will be able to guard 1-3 in the near future.

33. Carsen Edwards: If the Sixers had the balls they would pick him at 24 (I fear he wont get past Phoenix @ 32) His offense and shooting off the bench was sorely missed and his size wouldn't be as much of a concern sliding next to Ben or Jimmy for spot minutes. His scoring and shooting could be a difference maker as soon as the season begins
34.Admiral Schofield: Can fill it up from 3 and although not disruptive defender but has the strength and quickness to stay in front of wings. Complimentary player that can fit right in with Ben and Joel.

44. (Whoever drops between 1.Daniel Gafford 2.Louis King 3. Chuma Okeke 4. Darius Bazeley).
If none of these guys drop I would go with combo guard Terence Davis or Jaylen Nowell.
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,064
And1: 1,460
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#38 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 am

I just don't see it with Cameron Johnson. Sure he's long, but he avoids contact as much as possible, which effectively makes him a SG. However he doesn't have the feet to defend those guys, so no idea what he does on defense. Offensively he can hit threes of pindowns and standstill shots, but he's never been a guy who punishes hard closeouts or shoot threes while running. Pass.
kriss73
Starter
Posts: 2,166
And1: 1,195
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#39 » by kriss73 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:Is Luka Samanic sure to be a draft and stash pick? Or does he have an opt out clause in his contract now and can play next season?

Ha has an opt out clause in his contract and I read he is interested in joining the NBA right now. He's not a draft&stash prospect for what I understand.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,486
And1: 2,972
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#40 » by Fischella » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Kolkmania wrote:I just don't see it with Cameron Johnson. Sure he's long, but he avoids contact as much as possible, which effectively makes him a SG. However he doesn't have the feet to defend those guys, so no idea what he does on defense. Offensively he can hit threes of pindowns and standstill shots, but he's never been a guy who punishes hard closeouts or shoot threes while running. Pass.

He could be a +2 guy on offense and you can scheme around him on defense to hide him okay, that's the allure, worst case he is a really good bench shooter

Return to Philadelphia 76ers