ImageImageImage

Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, CoreyGallagher, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 281

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#181 » by Chris76 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 am

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Chris76 wrote:
It should be interesting to see if his defense translates.

Redick's impact was huge, but his defense was challenged. Thybulle and Richardson are huge defensive additions compared to Redick.

Hopefully, they can provide some of Redick's floor spacing and very good defense.

I dont find Jj’s defense to be an issue except for our playoff series with the Celts.

Well the entire defensive strategy was seemingly built around avoiding bad matchups for him, having an actual plus defender in that spot should do a lot of positive things.

Thybulle, Richardson, or Zhaire's help defense should be very impactful. Redick was limited with lack of length and athleticism.

Thybulle likes to chase down or contest shooters. He could average 1.5 blocks or more a game.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 12,765

Post#182 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:35 am

Chris76 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
I dont find Jj’s defense to be an issue except for our playoff series with the Celts.

Well the entire defensive strategy was seemingly built around avoiding bad matchups for him, having an actual plus defender in that spot should do a lot of positive things.

Thybulle, Richardson, or Zhaire's help defense should be very impactful. Redick was limited with lack of length and athleticism.

Thybulle likes to chase down or contest shooters. He could average 1.5 blocks or more a game.

I like Thybulle’s upside as a shotblocker. But I think collegiate zone defense played a really large part on his steals and block numbers.
Twitter: Pjeffersonlim| S i x e r s |
¨Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.¨
- Marcus Aurelius
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 9,004
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#183 » by LloydFree » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Ideally, you'd like a player that has played in a man-to-man system, so you know the skills they've shown can transfer. But there have been a number of great perimeter NBA players that came from Colleges that played zone exclusively. Aaron McKie and Eddie Jones never played a minute of man-to-man at Temple, and then immediately became great man-to-man NBA defenders. It has more to do with instincts and quickness, than a learned system.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
rzzzzz
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#184 » by rzzzzz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 pm

76ciology wrote:I like Thybulle’s upside as a shotblocker. But I think collegiate zone defense played a really large part on his steals and block numbers.

Embiid is a little like a one man zone in the paint. not that the defensive scheme will be zone, but if affords athletic perimeter players, like Thuybulle and Smith, to play a little more adventurously, going for steals and blocks.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 281

Post#185 » by Chris76 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:32 pm

76ciology wrote:
Chris76 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Well the entire defensive strategy was seemingly built around avoiding bad matchups for him, having an actual plus defender in that spot should do a lot of positive things.

I like Thybulle’s upside as a shotblocker. But I think collegiate zone defense played a really large part on his steals and block numbers.

Good point, he could get beaten by NBA athletes.

However, I like how he naturally helps when another teammate gets beat.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 12,765

Post#186 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:I like Thybulle’s upside as a shotblocker. But I think collegiate zone defense played a really large part on his steals and block numbers.

Embiid is a little like a one man zone in the paint. not that the defensive scheme will be zone, but if affords athletic perimeter players, like Thuybulle and Smith, to play a little more adventurously, going for steals and blocks.

Embiid can also switch more at the perimeter Thybulle being able to rotate to the paint and protect the rim. It’s something we were looking for even during the okafor era.
Twitter: Pjeffersonlim| S i x e r s |
¨Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.¨
- Marcus Aurelius

Return to Philadelphia 76ers