ImageImageImage

Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,567
And1: 12,735
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#481 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:42 pm

I would probably give up Matisse for the 1st pick in the 2nd round.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#482 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:23 pm

“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
GoSixersBro
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,145
And1: 896
Joined: May 26, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#483 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Didn't see a thread for this, but if you haven't been following Matisse's vlogs from the bubble, you are missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFV-pwSNWcEbH-ac9Kti20g
2020 Floppers
PG L. Ball | M. Brogdon | +J. Wall
SG D. Booker | Z. LaVine | J. Harris | J. Clarkson
SF G. Antetokounmpo | J. Hart | G. Harris | M. Thybulle
PF Z. Williamson | T. Prince | J. Green
C W. Carter Jr. | A. Horford | A. Baynes
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#484 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:52 am

He can be one of the league’s top defensive players of all time. The way he plays defense is so unreal.

Schroeder is one of those guys who spent almost their entire life playing high level basketball at the PG position. He is well experienced in the international league (FIBA) which sees way more press defense than the NBA. Thybulle just harassed him and made him look like some average 3rd string HS PG.

Such a great player to have coming off the bench when Biid is on the bench and we have our “kinda small ball” unit where we go heavy on deflections and 3s on both ends
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#485 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:41 am

Something to think about.

If we play the Bucks. Thybulle plays off the bench. He’ll be matched up against George Hill instead of Bledsoe. I think Hill will have a hard time handling the ball against Thybulle. Maybe even Bledsoe.

If you can take away their guards. They’d be left with Middleton, who I’m confident Ben can neutralize and Giannis, who’ll have to face both Biid and Horford for full 48.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#486 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm

Would it be weird if Thybulle become a bigger youtube star than a NBA star?

When it comes to youtube, he has all time great talent.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,728
And1: 4,443
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#487 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:20 pm

76ciology wrote:Something to think about. If we play the Bucks. Thybulle plays off the bench. He’ll be matched up against George Hill instead of Bledsoe. I think Hill will have a hard time handling the ball against Thybulle. Maybe even Bledsoe. If you can take away their guards. They’d be left with Middleton, who I’m confident Ben can neutralize and Giannis, who’ll have to face both Biid and Horford for full 48.

This is not how NBA basketball works. I know that Matisse punked Schroeder the other day but no teams are going to have consistent trouble bringing the ball up and getting into their sets, not to the extent that we're 'taking them away' r making them non-factors. We've also all seen many examples of strong or quick guards blowing by Matisse with ease, he's not particularly good (let alone great) at staying in front of guys like Bledsoe.

Also the Bucks offense is a system offense involving Giannis penetration and picks, there's not a lot of one-on-one stuff that matters. We should have good personnel to contain Giannis, and a guy like Matisse should be really helpful for his help defense and way of disrupting by closing out small spaces and making basic sets harder to run. But no one's shutting anyone down or taking anyone out of the game (plus Simmons is the only one with the ability to do that on the perimeter, Matisse is a much different type of defender).
rzzzzz
Veteran
Posts: 2,923
And1: 840
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#488 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:00 pm

the more he can score, even just opportunistically, the more minutes you can play him.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,567
And1: 12,735
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#489 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:43 pm

He's the best defender I've ever seen. I have no doubt that he'll go down as one of the best perimeter defenders ever.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#490 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:36 am

HotelVitale wrote:
76ciology wrote:Something to think about. If we play the Bucks. Thybulle plays off the bench. He’ll be matched up against George Hill instead of Bledsoe. I think Hill will have a hard time handling the ball against Thybulle. Maybe even Bledsoe. If you can take away their guards. They’d be left with Middleton, who I’m confident Ben can neutralize and Giannis, who’ll have to face both Biid and Horford for full 48.

This is not how NBA basketball works. I know that Matisse punked Schroeder the other day but no teams are going to have consistent trouble bringing the ball up and getting into their sets, not to the extent that we're 'taking them away' r making them non-factors. We've also all seen many examples of strong or quick guards blowing by Matisse with ease, he's not particularly good (let alone great) at staying in front of guys like Bledsoe.

Also the Bucks offense is a system offense involving Giannis penetration and picks, there's not a lot of one-on-one stuff that matters. We should have good personnel to contain Giannis, and a guy like Matisse should be really helpful for his help defense and way of disrupting by closing out small spaces and making basic sets harder to run. But no one's shutting anyone down or taking anyone out of the game (plus Simmons is the only one with the ability to do that on the perimeter, Matisse is a much different type of defender).


Im referring to when Bucks plays their second unit with Giannis is off the bench. This involved a lot of GHill and Bledsoe creating plays for them.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
rulebook
Sophomore
Posts: 113
And1: 44
Joined: Mar 13, 2012

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#491 » by rulebook » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:37 pm

Kobblehead wrote:He's the best defender I've ever seen. I have no doubt that he'll go down as one of the best perimeter defenders ever.


Is that sarcasm? Be as much as I like him as a person and as a player with potential, there is no universe in which he’s the best defender you’ve ever seen, and there is nothing that indicates he will ever be a great perimeter defender. He has great instincts, long arms, and quick hands, but I’ve never ever ever seen him lock down a quality guard on the perimeter. He lacks the lateral quickness.
User avatar
stormi
Senior
Posts: 673
And1: 444
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#492 » by stormi » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:17 am

rulebook wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:He's the best defender I've ever seen. I have no doubt that he'll go down as one of the best perimeter defenders ever.


Is that sarcasm? Be as much as I like him as a person and as a player with potential, there is no universe in which he’s the best defender you’ve ever seen, and there is nothing that indicates he will ever be a great perimeter defender. He has great instincts, long arms, and quick hands, but I’ve never ever ever seen him lock down a quality guard on the perimeter. He lacks the lateral quickness.


not saying i agree or disagree, but "ever" is false

Read on Twitter
?
SixthStreet
Junior
Posts: 380
And1: 184
Joined: May 31, 2018
       

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#493 » by SixthStreet » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:12 pm

Thybulle isn't switchable 1-4 like someone like Marcus Smart, but his deflection ability is so impactful. I think his defensive development is only beginning though. He still can get stronger.

I think he also has a lot of offensive potential to unlock. His ball handling needs to improve but I like his confidence in attacking closeouts and he's got a nice feel for making pocket passes or finding corner 3 shooters on forays to the basket. A lot of these passes get deflected so he's got to clean it up but I see the progress.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,714
And1: 5,413
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#494 » by Negrodamus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:48 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Thybulle isn't switchable 1-4 like someone like Marcus Smart, but his deflection ability is so impactful. I think his defensive development is only beginning though. He still can get stronger.

I think he also has a lot of offensive potential to unlock. His ball handling needs to improve but I like his confidence in attacking closeouts and he's got a nice feel for making pocket passes or finding corner 3 shooters on forays to the basket. A lot of these passes get deflected so he's got to clean it up but I see the progress.


The problem is that Ben and Thybulle seem to prefer, and are elite at, defending 1 and 2 but struggle from 3-5. RoCo would be a better fit on this team, defensively, than Tobias imo because he provides what those other two don't.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,567
And1: 12,735
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#495 » by Kobblehead » Yesterday 11:48 pm

Nope. Easily the best perimeter defender I've ever seen. No defender in NBA history was this disruptive in his first season.

Even more impressive is that he's in a wonky scheme with poor communication. Imagine if Ainge just kept him and was in a Brad Stevens' system. He'd be a top 3 DPotY candidate.
tigermars
Sophomore
Posts: 131
And1: 8
Joined: Apr 23, 2010

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#496 » by tigermars » Today 12:29 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Thybulle isn't switchable 1-4 like someone like Marcus Smart, but his deflection ability is so impactful. I think his defensive development is only beginning though. He still can get stronger.

I think he also has a lot of offensive potential to unlock. His ball handling needs to improve but I like his confidence in attacking closeouts and he's got a nice feel for making pocket passes or finding corner 3 shooters on forays to the basket. A lot of these passes get deflected so he's got to clean it up but I see the progress.


The problem is that Ben and Thybulle seem to prefer, and are elite at, defending 1 and 2 but struggle from 3-5. RoCo would be a better fit on this team, defensively, than Tobias imo because he provides what those other two don't.


Thybulle is absolute amazing against 1s Kemba and 2s Hield, Steph and Trae a little too much range and tricks. And Luka just dominate him inside. Abandon the PNR just get low position and post up. Simmons can probably defend up a position, the Tatums, LeBron, Luka, sans TJ Warren going off, but Giannis and SIakam just a bit too strong or long for Ben. They play longer horizontally less vertical and strength in the post.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers