ImageImageImage

Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#741 » by Murray_17 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:44 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:S&T Gary Harris + FRP for Matisse. Sign Covington to the MLE.

At this point I just want a couple wings who can consistently defend and hit some shots. Matisse is must see TV when he’s playing at his max defensive potential but his level of inconsistency will never permit him to be a core piece of a championship team.

I think we would need to trade Niang for this happen because we're using half of the MLE on him and he signed for 2 years
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#742 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:29 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Jailblazers7 wrote:S&T Gary Harris + FRP for Matisse. Sign Covington to the MLE.

At this point I just want a couple wings who can consistently defend and hit some shots. Matisse is must see TV when he’s playing at his max defensive potential but his level of inconsistency will never permit him to be a core piece of a championship team.

I think we would need to trade Niang for this happen because we're using half of the MLE on him and he signed for 2 years

MLE resets every year. Only issue is do you have the cap room for Full or for Tax MLE.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#743 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:30 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

MLE resets every year. Only issue is do you have the cap room for Full or for Tax MLE.

Oh and S&T makes a hardcap which Philly would almost definitely be over.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#744 » by Murray_17 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:40 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

Oh and S&T makes a hardcap which Philly would almost definitely be over.

Oh thanks for the clarification i was kind of doubtful about it :D
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#745 » by ankle420breaker » Wed May 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Quick poll-- Is there anyone here who's NOT done with this guy??

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,870

Post#746 » by mjkvol » Wed May 11, 2022 4:00 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Quick poll-- Is there anyone here who's NOT done with this guy??

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

I only wish Morey had moved him before his value began plummeting, but I'm sure there will be some takers.

It's a second guess, but it would've been nice if he was in the Harden trade instead of Curry and the pick.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Post#747 » by Mik317 » Wed May 11, 2022 4:24 pm

If the Nets keep this year's pick..I think we move Mattise for a late first if a guy we like slides. He would be useful to a lot of playoff teams as a spot guy
#NeverGonnaBeGood
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#748 » by SixthStreet » Wed May 11, 2022 6:43 pm

I think he will be dealt with Green’s expiring contract to get a wing upgrade in the $14m range. Unless we go star hunting in a Tobias deal.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,735

Post#749 » by phillynative » Wed May 11, 2022 6:49 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I think he will be dealt with Green’s expiring contract to get a wing upgrade in the $14m range. Unless we go star hunting in a Tobias deal.

That's the thing will it be better to see what we can get with a Danny, Matisse n some change flex or move tobi for a starter n something else useful....
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 609

Post#750 » by brannigan73 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:01 am

If its true that this guy has value around the league we need to sell high. He might have had the wost plus minus of any Sixer in the playoffs besides DJ.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#751 » by sixers4real » Sat May 21, 2022 12:23 am

Read on Twitter

Congrats to Matisse!

We now have an elite trade piece, two-time all-nba defensive player.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,496

Post#752 » by HardenGoat » Sat May 21, 2022 12:47 am

sixers4real wrote:
Read on Twitter

Congrats to Matisse!

Definitely going to be a taker attached to Danny.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#753 » by sixers4real » Sat May 21, 2022 1:01 am

HardenGoat wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
Read on Twitter

Congrats to Matisse!

Definitely going to be a taker attached to Danny.

Actually, I want him to be attached to Tobias deal.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#754 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 21, 2022 3:39 pm

^Exactly, if he's attached to a Tobias deal it enables us to get a really good player in return. It's sad with Mattise because he's only a consistent open three point hit away from being a very very valuable player that can start on any team in this league. Part of me does not want to give up on him just yet. He made all defense team again. I think that bought us some more time with him to see if he comes back next year with an improved shot. If he does, then we just need to keep him.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#755 » by mjkvol » Sat May 21, 2022 4:18 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:^Exactly, if he's attached to a Tobias deal it enables us to get a really good player in return. It's sad with Mattise because he's only a consistent open three point hit away from being a very very valuable player that can start on any team in this league. Part of me does not want to give up on him just yet. He made all defense team again. I think that bought us some more time with him to see if he comes back next year with an improved shot. If he does, then we just need to keep him.

Sell high. He's had four years of college and three years here, and if anything his stroke has regressed. It's one of two things - lack of a work ethic or it just isn't there. I would lean to the latter, but either way isn't good.

He'll never have more value than right now, and with the Embiid/Harden window we can't afford to wait and spend another year with a one way wing who is more of a net negative than Simmons was on offense. The league is going to wake up on him sooner or later.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 410

Post#756 » by Zumramania » Sat May 21, 2022 4:46 pm

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:^Exactly, if he's attached to a Tobias deal it enables us to get a really good player in return. It's sad with Mattise because he's only a consistent open three point hit away from being a very very valuable player that can start on any team in this league. Part of me does not want to give up on him just yet. He made all defense team again. I think that bought us some more time with him to see if he comes back next year with an improved shot. If he does, then we just need to keep him.

Sell high. He's had four years of college and three years here, and if anything his stroke has regressed. It's one of two things - lack of a work ethic or it just isn't there. I would lean to the latter, but either way isn't good.

He'll never have more value than right now, and with the Embiid/Harden window we can't afford to wait and spend another year with a one way wing who is more of a net negative than Simmons was on offense. The league is going to wake up on him sooner or later.

I think it's lack of a work ethic...he probably focused on improving his defensive skills and neglected his jump shot.

If you look at this analysis from two years ago, this guy claimed that Thybulle had the potential to be even more than a spot up shooter, and he regressed into a non-shooter.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#757 » by mjkvol » Sat May 21, 2022 5:17 pm

Zumramania wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I think it's lack of a work ethic...he probably focused on improving his defensive skills and neglected his jump shot.

If you look at this analysis from two years ago, this guy claimed that Thybulle had the potential to be even more than a spot up shooter, and he regressed into a non-shooter.

I was going to suggest it could be both, but not knowing exactly what he has worked on I didn't want to say that. Interesting video, and more evidence that it might be the perfect time to pull the plug on him.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,794

Post#758 » by HotelVitale » Sat May 21, 2022 5:21 pm

Zumramania wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Sell high. He's had four years of college and three years here, and if anything his stroke has regressed. It's one of two things - lack of a work ethic or it just isn't there. I would lean to the latter, but either way isn't good. The league is going to wake up on him sooner or later.
I think it's lack of a work ethic...he probably focused on improving his defensive skills and neglected his jump shot. If you look at this analysis from two years ago, this guy claimed that Thybulle had the potential to be even more than a spot up shooter, and he regressed into a non-shooter.

Saying this with sixer's board love, but it's really weird to follow the NBA in this day and age and think that a guy like Thybulle--or literally 99% of all NBA players--is failing to become great at shooting because he doesn't gaf or isn't putting in the time to improve. I never understand why sports fans see that the NBA is a high-pressure, extremely structured, huge-money job but think that it operates like some hood KFC where employees can show up when they want to, spend their workdays getting high and mumbling and texting, kinda do a little bit of work but mostly stay focused on their phones and their girlfriends, etc. That's incredibly out of touch with the reality of even the biggest NBA scrub's life, which is focused 100% around the game. You basically do almost nothing but practice, travel, play, train, work out, eat, rest for a little bit. Maybe you got out to some movie premier or some club for a couple hours here and there, then maybe take like 3 weeks off in the summer and travel somewhere, before starting your offseason training and grinding all over. That's the life, the league's culture is set up to be incredibly competitive and the lives of everyone invovled are geared towards performance.

In this case, it's absurd to think that Thybulle isn't constantly putting up thousands of shots and working with a greater trainer on that stuff. Or that he's telling training staff 'no I want to 7 hours of defensive drills today so no shooting practice please.' Who knows exactly why his shot hasn't imrpoved but he was up and down in college and clearly has weird mechanics and shaky touch, and there are many many many NBA players who don't go from shaky jumpers to great ones within their first 3-4 years. When it happens it's great, but that shouldn't be mistaken for 'anyone can improve if they just WANT IT.' Matisse would probably sell his left one (maybe both) to be able to shoot 40% from 3 on the regular, it would probably mean at least $100m more dollars for him plus make him a far more powerful and famous player plus avoid some of the embarrassment of being left alone and letting down the team etc.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#759 » by mjkvol » Sat May 21, 2022 6:06 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Zumramania wrote:
mjkvol wrote: Sell high. He's had four years of college and three years here, and if anything his stroke has regressed. It's one of two things - lack of a work ethic or it just isn't there. I would lean to the latter, but either way isn't good. The league is going to wake up on him sooner or later.
I think it's lack of a work ethic...he probably focused on improving his defensive skills and neglected his jump shot. If you look at this analysis from two years ago, this guy claimed that Thybulle had the potential to be even more than a spot up shooter, and he regressed into a non-shooter.

Saying this with sixer's board love, but it's really weird to follow the NBA in this day and age and think that a guy like Thybulle--or literally 99% of all NBA players--is failing to become great at shooting because he doesn't gaf or isn't putting in the time to improve. I never understand why sports fans see that the NBA is a high-pressure, extremely structured, huge-money job but think that it operates like some hood KFC where employees can show up when they want to, spend their workdays getting high and mumbling and texting, kinda do a little bit of work but mostly stay focused on their phones and their girlfriends, etc. That's incredibly out of touch with the reality of even the biggest NBA scrub's life, which is focused 100% around the game. You basically do almost nothing but practice, travel, play, train, work out, eat, rest for a little bit. Maybe you got out to some movie premier or some club for a couple hours here and there, then maybe take like 3 weeks off in the summer and travel somewhere, before starting your offseason training and grinding all over. That's the life, the league's culture is set up to be incredibly competitive and the lives of everyone invovled are geared towards performance.

In this case, it's absurd to think that Thybulle isn't constantly putting up thousands of shots and working with a greater trainer on that stuff. Or that he's telling training staff 'no I want to 7 hours of defensive drills today so no shooting practice please.' Who knows exactly why his shot hasn't imrpoved but he was up and down in college and clearly has weird mechanics and shaky touch, and there are many many many NBA players who don't go from shaky jumpers to great ones within their first 3-4 years. When it happens it's great, but that shouldn't be mistaken for 'anyone can improve if they just WANT IT.' Matisse would probably sell his left one (maybe both) to be able to shoot 40% from 3 on the regular, it would probably mean at least $100m more dollars for him plus make him a far more powerful and famous player plus avoid some of the embarrassment of being left alone and letting down the team etc.

I would tend to agree, and also because it's very much in the interest of the Sixers as well that Matisse maximize his offensive game. Which is why I lean towards the answer that he's just not going to be a great shooter - if he was, by this time we would see evidence in the form of an improved stroke or at least slightly more consistent results. The fact is that if hard work was all it took, there would be a whole lot more knockdown shooters in the league.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 410

Post#760 » by Zumramania » Sat May 21, 2022 6:57 pm

HotelVitale, I think that what you're saying is not completely true... for a broader context, NBA players actually have relatively little team practice compared to Euroleague players. The team practice in NBA is highly structured and carefully planned, but it is only about one hour per day, and they don't do shooting and things like that. In Euroleague they usually do 3, 4+ hours of team practice per day, and there they do everything. In NBA each player does their own individual practice, but they vary in how much they practice and what they do. For example, the Croatian player Luka Samanic, who was drafted 19th by the San Antonio Spurs in the 2019 Draft, was publicly called out by Pop for "a lack of work ethic". The Spurs waived him in 2021.

I'm not saying this is the situation with Thybulle, but you can work hard but not work smart, you can work hard but not "Jimmy Butler" hard, and maybe you need a help from a sport psychologist but you're not getting it because you haven't asked for it. Or look at how Blake Griffin invented his 3pt shot, he said in a Players Tribune piece it took him three years of dedicated and carefully planned practice. Not every player does that, there certainly is substantial variance.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers