ImageImageImage

Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, CoreyGallagher, Sixerscan, Foshan

youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 19,384
And1: 2,838
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#101 » by youngcrev » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:20 pm

76ciology wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Yeah a Roberson who can hit an open 3 and doesn't brick his free throws is a significant positive difference maker. Hope that is what we get with Thybulle.


Roberson was an elite rebounder coming into the league and kind of a tweener....he was literally a double double machine.Thybulle is more of a ball hawking wing compared to Roberson, and his shot is much better coming into the NBA.

Thybulle is tough to compare because his defensive #'s were so elite (steals and blocks) and his offensive game is kind of an unknown.

Id say his ceiling is probably somewhere in the realm of a Spurs Danny Green or a ball hawking Thabo Sefolosha.



His offense reminds me a lot of Danny Green. He’s like a rich man’s version of Danny Green


Seems more like a poor man's (worse shooting) Danny Green offensively.
PhillyFan11
Junior
Posts: 354
And1: 101
Joined: Jun 23, 2018

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#102 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Still think a better shooting Marcus Smart is the best comp. I’ll take that
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,579
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#103 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:37 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
Roberson was an elite rebounder coming into the league and kind of a tweener....he was literally a double double machine.Thybulle is more of a ball hawking wing compared to Roberson, and his shot is much better coming into the NBA.

Thybulle is tough to compare because his defensive #'s were so elite (steals and blocks) and his offensive game is kind of an unknown.

Id say his ceiling is probably somewhere in the realm of a Spurs Danny Green or a ball hawking Thabo Sefolosha.



His offense reminds me a lot of Danny Green. He’s like a rich man’s version of Danny Green


Seems more like a poor man's (worse shooting) Danny Green offensively.


Yea i get that, and Green was riding a 41% 3PT coming into the NBA, but Thybulle despite a down year at 30%, still averaged 1+ 3's made per game every single season he played, shot 36% for his career and had a year where he shot 40%. The 85% FT also indicates promise and upside as a shooter.....in a wide open, paced up system where he will literally be the 5th option on offense....I think there is potential there for him to grow into a decent spot up, shooting role offensively. The volume is why i added the Thabo Sefolosha comp, who developed into a good 3&D guy, but the volume was never really there like a Danny Green.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,579
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#104 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:39 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:Still think a better shooting Marcus Smart is the best comp. I’ll take that


Marcus Smart is more of a bruising PG than a perimeter player compared to Thybulle.....and certainly more of a physical on ball defender IMO.

Thybulle is more disruptive and generates more TO's
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilaOwnsBoston
Veteran
Posts: 2,658
And1: 1,479
Joined: Mar 19, 2018
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#105 » by PhilaOwnsBoston » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Thybulle is pretty athletic, he can get up there and he's really quick. His start and stop is ridiculous. I do think he has offensive potential. I could see him being an Iguodala at the NBA level. Less athletic, Iguodala was a freak when he came out, but maybe with a better jumper.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,177
And1: 4,809
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#106 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:48 pm

And Iguodala was a triple double threat on any given night at Arizona. Phenomenal all around player.
PhilaOwnsBoston
Veteran
Posts: 2,658
And1: 1,479
Joined: Mar 19, 2018
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#107 » by PhilaOwnsBoston » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Iguodala is proof you can be not a great college scorer and score in the NBA. He averaged like 13ppg coming out as a sophmore, and granted Thybulle was in college longer so he should be more polished, it's a loose comparison, and UW was just a poor offensive team. I don't think Thybulle will ever be a big-time scorer in the NBA, but I can see him being a 12 ppg guy who plays great D and hits open 3's. With athleticism on the fast break.
nitocobola
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,766
And1: 675
Joined: Jul 05, 2016
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#108 » by nitocobola » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Good pick considering that this draft was a crap shot.

He'll probably be a second round pick in other years.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 26,478
And1: 11,316
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#109 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:10 pm

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:Thybulle is pretty athletic, he can get up there and he's really quick. His start and stop is ridiculous. I do think he has offensive potential. I could see him being an Iguodala at the NBA level. Less athletic, Iguodala was a freak when he came out, but maybe with a better jumper.

No way he'll even loosely compare to Iguodala. James Ennis, at best.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,177
And1: 4,809
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#110 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:16 pm

I don't know, Ennis was even pretty well rounded and racked up solid stats in college.
PhilaOwnsBoston
Veteran
Posts: 2,658
And1: 1,479
Joined: Mar 19, 2018
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#111 » by PhilaOwnsBoston » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Thybulle covers ground much greater than Ennis. He doesn't look "quick" but he covers ground in a hurry. He's should be a much much better defender than Ennis.

But none of us really have any idea, really. Speaking definitively or in absolutes about prospects is weird.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,177
And1: 4,809
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#112 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

The weird part of his "wanted to play my role" excuse for being quiet on offense was that he wouldn't be taking attempts from good offensive players. Jaylen Nowell was, by a mile, the best offensive player on the team. After that, Crisp, Dickerson, and Carter (although Carter has upside) were really nothing special on offense. This was definitely a team in need of a solid second scorer to take the ball out of Crisp's hands.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 26,478
And1: 11,316
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#113 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:50 pm

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:Thybulle covers ground much greater than Ennis. He doesn't look "quick" but he covers ground in a hurry. He's should be a much much better defender than Ennis.

But none of us really have any idea, really. Speaking definitively or in absolutes about prospects is weird.

I can definitively promise you he will never approach Andre Iguodala.

Unless you mean the washed, degenerative knee era Iguodala. Even then, that's likely Thybulle's apex form.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,177
And1: 4,809
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#114 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:58 pm



This guy succinctly illustrates my concerns with Thybulle. Also shows off his potential. I'm hoping he can figure out how to play defense outside of a zone.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 26,478
And1: 11,316
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#115 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:Still think a better shooting Marcus Smart is the best comp. I’ll take that

Smart has like 30 pounds on him and was a #1 option as a freshman.

Tybulle could stay at Washington for 8 years and never be a #1 option.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,454
And1: 11,836
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#116 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Negrodamus wrote:The weird part of his "wanted to play my role" excuse for being quiet on offense was that he wouldn't be taking attempts from good offensive players. Jaylen Nowell was, by a mile, the best offensive player on the team. After that, Crisp, Dickerson, and Carter (although Carter has upside) were really nothing special on offense. This was definitely a team in need of a solid second scorer to take the ball out of Crisp's hands.


I don’t think “excuse” is really what people are going for. Guy is willing to play a role at the next level. Many players can’t get there.
User avatar
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 12,887
And1: 8,906
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#117 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:38 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:Still think a better shooting Marcus Smart is the best comp. I’ll take that


Marcus Smart is more of a bruising PG than a perimeter player compared to Thybulle.....and certainly more of a physical on ball defender IMO.

Thybulle is more disruptive and generates more TO's

That's the mistake people make when trying make comps based off of a couple statistical categories. Especially college stats. I knew someone would make the Marcus Smart comparison, when they queried players with the amount of Steals and Blocks he had. They're nothing alike.

Marcus Smart can dribble a basketball, which is one of the biggest differences. But also, he probably has 30 lbs more muscle and plays Man-to-man defense, against every position on the court. Thybulle is a zone defender who gets deflections. Smart does both and can handle and distribute. Thybulle is likely strictly an undersized SF, who will cross match Simmons and defend PGs.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
PhilaOwnsBoston
Veteran
Posts: 2,658
And1: 1,479
Joined: Mar 19, 2018
 

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#118 » by PhilaOwnsBoston » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Thybulle didn’t play zone every year at UW. He’s just a good defender. And most importantly he has the instincts and agility to be one in any scheme. I don’t think that’s even remotely a concern.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 12,177
And1: 4,809
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#119 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:The weird part of his "wanted to play my role" excuse for being quiet on offense was that he wouldn't be taking attempts from good offensive players. Jaylen Nowell was, by a mile, the best offensive player on the team. After that, Crisp, Dickerson, and Carter (although Carter has upside) were really nothing special on offense. This was definitely a team in need of a solid second scorer to take the ball out of Crisp's hands.


I don’t think “excuse” is really what people are going for. Guy is willing to play a role at the next level. Many players can’t get there.


I'm not saying it's other people's excuse, it's what he literally said (and seems like an excuse to me): https://youtu.be/FXr5mpmYCc8?t=268
User avatar
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,336
And1: 2,435
Joined: Feb 09, 2006

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#120 » by Ben » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:52 pm

I can understand the frustration. I was HELLA pissed when the Bulls drafted Tony Snell at #20 six years ago, given that they badly needed a backup big man and Gorgui Deng and Mason Plumlee were drafted right after Snell, and Rudy Gobert (previously projected as a possible lotto pick) was still free-falling. Snell, like Thybulle, was drafted to be a 3&D player but had underwhelming collegiate offensive stats that suggested a lack of aggressiveness. Indeed, in terms of efficiency, Snell really sucked for his 3 years with the Bulls. He was never a very good 3P shooter for Chicago, his PER was always poor, and he had no offensive aggressiveness. Yet once he was dumped to the Bucks he improved enough at 3P range -- and started taking way more 3 point attempts relative to 2-pointers-- such that he earned a pretty huge contract given his mediocrity. So I guess in some ways he was at least a passable drafting success. Just not for the team that drafted him. And the Sixers need Thybulle to be productive NOW.

Thybulle's lack of offensiveness is worrisome, b/c that's not usually something that can be coached or learned. And I didn't like that they traded up for him, not least because I hate getting played repeatedly by Danny Ainge over guys he didn't really want to draft in the first place. Nonetheless, Thybulle seems like a great kid and I'm eager to see what he can do here. I hope that he will hit the weight room hard so that it won't look too ridiculous when someone inevitably nicknames him "the Bull." ;-)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers