Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#221 » by LloydFree » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:29 am

Kobblehead wrote:Why are we still considering Embiid our top defender when he no longer has the switch versatility and mobility in space than he did as a prospect? I think Embiid has grown and deteriorated into a strictly post defender/rim protector. He's no longer the Davis/Antetokounmpo freak that he was in his young/healthier/lighter days.

Read on Twitter
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#222 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:49 am

76ciology wrote:He makes better gambles than Roco. I’d like to see how good can he be defending star wings. Like man to man defense than playing team defense. That was my issue with Roco. For the mean time, i stand with my position that Thybulle was a lotto material in the 2019 draft.

He plays with a higher and more consistent motor than Covington, which looks better aesthetically to me and allows him to make his gambles less costly (if he bets wrong) and also get more steals on ball and in tight spaces. I don't think he'll be great at defending/slowing star scorers, though, and I would still put Covington down as the more impactful disruptor in a high-stakes game. Happy to eat those words in a few months, though, since Thybulle does just seem to have a knack (genius?) for disruption.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#223 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 am

Kobblehead wrote:Thybulle is a more impactful defender, pound for pound, but I do think Covington has more positional versatility (given his size and length) and thus more defensive value.

As special as Thybulle is defensively, he is just 6'5" 200 pounds. I doubt he'll fair any better than Kent Bazemore in defending the tall 220-240 pound scoring beasts like James, George, Leonard, etc.

Agree with this and i want to see it happen because of my unrealistic expection on Thybulle now. I hope he can be atleast be like Thabo Sefalosha on defense against star wings
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#224 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:37 am

Kobblehead wrote:Why are we still considering Embiid our top defender when he no longer has the switch versatility and mobility in space than he did as a prospect? I think Embiid has grown and deteriorated into a strictly post defender/rim protector. He's no longer the Davis/Antetokounmpo freak that he was in his young/healthier/lighter days.

Because numbers say he is an elite rim protector. I think he’s top 3 or 5 in rim protection.

That and our defense always plays elite defense when he’s on court.

My guess is he’s grown smarter in defense that he doesnt gamble or go for blocks much on defense. I notice he’s been doing that Hibbert Verticality action this preseason. And his endurance on defense has taken a step lower because of his bigger role on offense.

If asked to take a notch up on defense, i believe he can give us that. Like how we put him on Siakam instead on Marc that requires more energy on defense.

But realistically, he has to pace himself given his workload. Scoring near 30 a game and anchoring the defense requires superhuman energy.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#225 » by eyeatoma » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:37 am

76ciology wrote:

Because numbers say he is an elite rim protector. I think he’s top 3 or 5 in rim protection.

That and our defense always plays elite defense when he’s on court.

My guess is he’s grown smarter in defense that he doesnt gamble or go for blocks much on defense. I notice he’s been doing that Hibbert Verticality action this preseason. And his endurance on defense has taken a step lower because of his bigger role on offense.

If asked to take a notch up on defense, i believe he can give us that. Like how we put him on Siakam instead on Marc that requires more energy on defense.

But realistically, he has to pace himself given his workload. Scoring near 30 a game and anchoring the defense requires superhuman energy.
This...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#226 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 am

Kobblehead wrote:Thybulle is a more impactful defender, pound for pound, but I do think Covington has more positional versatility (given his size and length) and thus more defensive value.

As special as Thybulle is defensively, he is just 6'5" 200 pounds. I doubt he'll fair any better than Kent Bazemore in defending the tall 220-240 pound scoring beasts like James, George, Leonard, etc.

He's 6'5 without shoes so he's obviously 6'6 or so on the court. Kawhi is 6'7 from what I gather and he just shut down 6'11 Giannis In the playoffs. Generational defensive talent can find a way to get it done even when the odds seem to be against them. He'll be going up against bigger guys in practice so I'm sure he'll learn from those exchanges. Also some of our coach's worked with Kawhi so he should be In good hands to develop his craft properly.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,372

Post#227 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 am

Enough of this Stuff talking about Cov is better defender than Thybulle because even after just a couple preseason games it’s obvious hes not. Cov got burned wayyy too many times in his time here. He got completely embarrassed by a rookie Tatum two years ago to the point where we had to bench him in favor of TJ. Hes been burned for 50 or more by multiple players while he was a sixer. Thybulle may get burned too as well but until it happens as many times as its happened to Cov i got him as a better defender. Thybulle will hit players with the full court press every possession unlike Cov, he also helps off his man much more effectively. While Cov has better length Matisse has a much better motor. Now for man to man defense Cov struggled mightily, Matisse’s man to man defense is still yet to be scouted against nba talent. Matisse was drafted for a reason and it seems like we all know why. Cov should have been drafted but i can completely see why he wasnt.

Matisse is just a better overall talent and it is very obvious. Cov lacks a certain mentality on offense and to an extent on defense. Matisse while he is offensively limited has already shown way more potential on that end than Cov ever did at the same age. Its time to stop comparing the two we have a gem and a defensive savant in Matisse, Cov should be an after thought at this point not a topic of conversation.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
76ciology
RealGM

Post#228 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 pm

I dont like Cov as a man to man defender. He was unplayable in that Celts series. Not to mention how inconsistent his 3pt was.

Cov’s got physical tools like length and mobility. He also makes good reads. But his motor on defense isnt as good as thybulle IMO.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#229 » by SixthStreet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:59 pm

I don’t think you can judge motor fairly. RoCo has always played much more minutes than Thybulle has had to, so Matisse can go full out for short spans. RoCo also has more offensive responsibility to bear. It takes energy to shoot 7-8 3s a game.

I think Thybulle has upside to be a perimeter defensive scheme by himself one day. Sort of like Tony Allen or Andre Roberson, but while also being a capable shooter and non-liability on offense unlike those 2.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#230 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:49 pm

76ciology wrote:I dont like Cov as a man to man defender. He was unplayable in that Celts series. Not to mention how inconsistent his 3pt was.

Cov’s got physical tools like length and mobility. He also makes good reads. But his motor on defense isnt as good as thybulle IMO.

Roco always played hard so I don't get the motor argument. He didn't have a high basketball IQ though, and anytime he was trying to make a play off the dribble it was an adventure. He was also pretty streaky with his 3 point shot.

He is an elite team defender, and an average on ball defender.

Its way too early for me to try to compare Thybulle to him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#231 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Some people need to be hosed down lol. He looks really good though no denying it.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#232 » by LloydFree » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:42 pm

We came into the pre-season hoping that one of either Matisse or Zhaire could crack the lineups top 9. Now after two weeks, that's no longer even a question. Thybulle is probably no less than the 7th man, and more likely the 6th man.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#233 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:49 pm

LloydFree wrote:We came into the pre-season hoping that one of either Matisse or Zhaire could crack the lineups top 9. Now after two weeks, that's no longer even a question. Thybulle is probably no less than the 7th man, and more likely the 6th man.

It goes to one of the core weaknesses of the team. If Thybulle or Zhaire can give us real rotation minutes then our bench gets that much better.
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#234 » by nrok10307 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Gotta slow the horses here. They've played 3 preseason games against some bad to mediocre teams (who were missing some top players).

He's exceeded expectations so far, but let's see how it goes against real teams and real players before making some definitive statements.

Not to mention his 3pt shot has been pretty poor so far (4/13 - 30%). Need him to hit the 3 consistently to stay on the court to provide spacing with Embiid and Simmons.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#235 » by Kobblehead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 pm

No reason to calm down, in my opinion.

His defensive metrics were so off the charts that it looked like his Sports Reference page was glitched.

Now all that ridiculousness has translated on the court before our very eyes. It's real. Possibly the goat perimeter defender. No need to temper expectations or worry about engaging in hyperbole. We have one of the best perimeter defenders ever born. Soak it up and enjoy.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#236 » by Winejk » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:25 am

Just glad after all the whiffs with high picks that have occurred in drafting recently - Nerlens, Okafor, Fultz - the Sixers are picking up some solid players - Shamet, Thybulle - in the later picks of the first round. Maybe it is karma. Hope Thybulle is as good as advertised and look forward to watching him play.

Kind of funny that Thybulle might end up being better than his Washington teammate Fultz.
deep6er
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#237 » by deep6er » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:33 am

Thybulle looks great, I think he is going to be great for us this year. But people are a little too gassed right now. I can remember when people on this board were starting to count the number of DPOYs that Nerlens was gonna win.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#238 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:03 am

Kobblehead wrote:No reason to calm down, in my opinion.

His defensive metrics were so off the charts that it looked like his Sports Reference page was glitched.

Now all that ridiculousness has translated on the court before our very eyes. It's real. Possibly the goat perimeter defender. No need to temper expectations or worry about engaging in hyperbole. We have one of the best perimeter defenders ever born. Soak it up and enjoy.

Squinting real hard at this atm
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#239 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:07 am

Winejk wrote:Just glad after all the whiffs with high picks that have occurred in drafting recently - Nerlens, Okafor, Fultz - the Sixers are picking up some solid players - Shamet, Thybulle - in the later picks of the first round. Maybe it is karma. Hope Thybulle is as good as advertised and look forward to watching him play.

Kind of funny that Thybulle might end up being better than his Washington teammate Fultz.

The guys now are also being specifically targeted to fill specific roles to match with their skill sets, and come in with relatively low expectations. Maybe those three have different times here if they were brought in to be backups as opposed to being plastered on billboards.

Separately, Shamet and Thybulle also seem like really level headed mature kids/young men, which I think has really helped.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#240 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:03 am

deep6er wrote:Thybulle looks great, I think he is going to be great for us this year. But people are a little too gassed right now. I can remember when people on this board were starting to count the number of DPOYs that Nerlens was gonna win.

Did not Play games Of the Year. Definitely there were more than a handful.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers